Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Krispy Wafer posted:

There's a crack curve. At one point in the curve you OD and die. At another point you become alive again and cannot be killed.

We still have so much to learn from the 80s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Well now I know what happened to Payless. I couldn't believe they were going out of business, every location I've ever seen was always crowded with people buying two or three pairs of shoes at a time.

And they were all set to make it up on volume

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It's especially a shame for lower-income families with more than one kid. Payless constantly had buy one/get one free or 50% off or whatever, so you could get all the shoes they'd need for the next year for cheap.

They had BOGO looong before this screw up. I remember those ads from when I was a kid and only wanted one expensive set of sneakers that could get wrecked and not fit and not look good for dress as long as they had athlete name* so Payless never appealed to me

* and that name was Jordan

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

TheKennedys posted:

There was a Big Lots near my old apartment that had the CLOSEOUT/HUGE SALE/EVERYTHING MUST GO or whatever signs up for like five years straight and I'm pretty sure the prices were exactly the same as on the website if not higher, it's extremely dumb

At least one furniture store when I was a kid did this constantly with tv ads at least every year for a going out of business sale. Apparently every time they juuuust made enough to stay solvent :sweatdrop:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Anora posted:

It's really amazing how poorly most big businesses are run when one month of slow sales just destroys them.

:capitalism:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Duckman2008 posted:

Get a switch pro controller. No issues after 2 years.

Yep. Playing with joycons is for little siblings

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Rick posted:

I'm going to buy barrels of oil and stick them in my apartment, except, unlike Kramer, I'm not going to be dumb enough to put them in a ball and throw them onto a lady from the second floor window.

I think the Always Sunny approach is better because refined gasoline is obviously much more valuable, easier to obtain and furthermore

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The local chain also has a "Royal Suite" where you can order food and beer delivered right to your chair, which sounds godawful for actually watching a movie. Supposedly you can buy a beer at their bar and take it into any of the theaters but I haven't bothered.

Won't be happy until they start offering poop socks and empty 2Ls.

You won’t be happy until you can smell other goon’s feces and urine while trying to watch a movie?

I think this is kind of an edge case

I mean I glanced and saw 2L and thought yeah they should definitely have the option for 40s instead of an open glass of ill smelling drink but you’ve taken it too far

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Elviscat posted:

Which book? Because that is exactly the sort of thing I'd be interested in.

Title essay of the collection A Supposedly Fun Thing I’ll Never Do Again

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Groovelord Neato posted:

Everyone who goes out for their Black Friday shopping on Thanksgiving should be tossed in a hole. The stores wouldn't be opening if you shitheads didn't show up.

But that’s how they make all their profits for the year you see I’m supporting them

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cowslips Warren posted:

There is a Target with some other large anchor stores near my work. I suspect by the end of this year, Target, the dollar store, the pet store, and maybe Michaels will be left. Ross is iffy. OfficeMax is too. Kohls might make it.

Not Ross :ohdear:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Carrion Luggage posted:

I am so tired of the air carrier industry needing to be bailed out every time poo poo gets rough, and as we see here, bailed out twice.

They should have saved up for a rainy day like the people keep getting told. Planes are a terrible waste of energy, find a better way.

I'm trying to think of how a metal tube full of human disease vectors spewing hydrocarbons into the upper atmosphere is critical to something right now.

Otherwise I couldn't get across our hellscape flyover states because I'm bi-coastal baby.

Just die at home, everyone else is.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Platystemon posted:

That’s a suicide booth with more steps.

fake edit: That also applies to cinemas in a pandemic.

I really get squicked when people are comfortable with this.

I don’t care if it’s a perfect copy and that that copy will then be okay with it and nothing of value was lost. I will be dead and idk sort of bothers me.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Now picturing a setting where a viable means of interplanetary teleportation is getting blackout drunk.

Pretty sure Douglas Adams wrote this already.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

AvesPKS posted:

Sizzler is where Lisa's dad took her after she got a bad report card on Saved by the Bell and I'm pretty sure that's the last time I thought of one before now

Well they were in the news a lot for E Coli. That's mostly how I'll remember them.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's just a funny thing to drink. Kind of like the fly from season 1.

It was mildly funny but I hope The Donald Trump Show is not renewed for a second season.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Knormal posted:

Committed to their short-format lifestyle to the end.

:emptyquote:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Did this get posted yet?

https://twitter.com/LukeXCunningham/status/1318982719922032641

hosed up if true

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Sekhmnet posted:

Wasn't it kind of like an arby's but with a wendy's style 'superbar' salad bar? Which was just the sizzler salad bar with less stuff, really.

Yeah and really good milkshakes iirc

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Never been to or near a Cracker Barrel but I have read complaints from goons who worked there.

The expectation for the employees is disgusting and I hope they burn in hell.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also all the middle to upper class people were hosed up on over the counter medications.

Laura Bush faced

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

there wolf posted:

Because she loves books and wants into the prestigious Arlen book club, Peggy opens a bookstore. When business is slow, she rents the back out to Dale and the gun club to sell guns out of, but only as long as customers buy a book along with every gun purchase. In usual King of the Hill fashion, after selling out her principles for the appearance of success, Peggy gets into the snooty book club only to realize it's not what she wants because they don't actually care about books. She closes the bookstore putting an end to Dale's business as well, but some of the gun club members ended up reading and liking the books she forced them to buy and she ends up starting her own book club with them.

Peggy doesn't open a bookstore she buys one from some miserable woman who was just using it as a tax dodge for her wealthy spouse. You can't just c/p from a wikipedia article. Also they're not in to reading they're in to drinking but they think of Peggy as low class.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

there wolf posted:

So literally the only thing I got wrong was that she takes over the store rather than start one from scratch. Probably should have read the whole wiki rather than just skim the part about the book/gun sales to make sure I remembered it right. :shrug:

Peggy in her defense got sold a losing business. She is not a great business woman.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Put in a Cobra Kai franchise IMO

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Malls became such a phenomenon whose reach massively outstayed their grasp.

It really makes me curious what Mallrats 2 is going to be about.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Here's a question I've asked in a thread or two before:

Why couldn't a big Amazon warehouse just build a small room on the front or the side full of kiosks where you can order stuff that's in the warehouse, pay for it, and have an Amazon employee pop out of a door and hand you the thing right away??

The answers I've gotten are
1. Amazon fulfillment centers are in the middle of nowhere
2. Amazon doesn't want to have employees dedicated to getting people stuff

I think these are both crap.

They own Whole Foods so you can just get your 50 gallon silicone personal friction disperser from an anonymous locker with a QR code on your phone.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Volmarias posted:

And some of them were extremely stupid as well!

I remember seeing Starcraft 64 at the Blockbuster and just shaking my head in wonderment.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, New York and New Jersey rest stops are next level. They’re like small city states in the middle of the interstate. You’ve got food, fuel, and probably booze.

Need a zombie movie where everyone hides out at the Roy Rogers.

In the short story version of The Mist where they don't *cough* get rescued their stated destination is a HoJos on the interstate, somewhere south of Maine. That's where they place all their diminishing hope of refuge. The story just kind of leaves off there.

Not being from the east coast I've only seen one on an episode of Mad Men.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Alaois posted:

why are you playing at 3840x2160

Guess they really like pixels.

When I first started Elden Ring I must have done/not done something and it was in glorious 800x600. Text was smeared, basically looked like Quake for a moment.

Would have been playable I guess but I opted to go with a few more.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Volcott posted:

Mode 7 is a Lost Technology.

The SuperFX chip, the technical knowledge to make sense of the Apollo rocket designs, all lost like tears in rain

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

muscles like this! posted:

That's BetterHelp which apparently has their own problems.

I just found out about them because they advertise on Conan O'Brien's podcast. It really does sound--iffy.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Rick posted:

Yeah the TikTok hole I fell into seems convinced that Maine is just the first domino.

I guess though Arizona will be the last to fall, they already have several loop holes for registration as it is.

Lol, every shitbird state in the country will be falling over themselves to legalize tuk tuks at this point.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Read After Burning posted:

Any of y'all watching the Abercrombie and Fitch documentary? How ya liking it?

I, thankfully, was not a "label head" as a kid, and was too busy begging my parents to buy me new video games to worry about popular overpriced clothes. It was definitely HUGE in my school though (in Alabama in the mid 2000s), and there was a big air of being looked down on if you were white and didn't wear Abercrombie.

I thought the stores smelled way too strong and the "sexy dude" models looked like someone that would have bullied me and called me a dyke. :kiddo:

I was upset when Trent Reznor said he got his black shirts from the gap.

All downhill from there.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Send Elon Musk goatse via DM or something and go out in a blaze of shitposting glory.

I know it's petty but I'm currently doing this. And would encourage anyone else to.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Read After Burning posted:

...Musk is gonna let Trump back on Twitter in the name of "free speech", isn't he

That is worst-case scenario musk actually feels guilty by association with trumps racism

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Iron Crowned posted:

All RVs are a terrible deal.

People always say boat ownership is a terrible investment but honestly RVs are about the same for just throwing money in a hole.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cyril Sneer posted:

I always feel like I'm being gaslit when I read this kind of stuff. Like am I genuinely running into people way smarter than me? Or is it just grifting all the way down?

Which leads me to asking the question over and over and sounding dumber than the person who just noticed rain and clouds are probably in cahoots somehow.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

MarcusSA posted:

That stuff is big money.

More like it's pure profit because they don't create anything. They just leave cameras around and get producers to start scripted nonsense drama with people finding seeded antiques in storage lockers.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

MarcusSA posted:

Back in the day I told Elon that the CD tray was a cup holder and he put his big gulp in it and broke the tray.

Wish he would microwave his phone to charge it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Professor Shark posted:

Is it possible to download a uses entire tweet history? I don’t want to lose dasharezone and wint when this thing goes black

I know there are

and a lot of twatters are pointing at other social media just, hey this is is me on Instagram or w/e

https://en.whotwi.com/dril/tweets/archive

https://dasharez0ne.com/

just have to seek them out when da bird zone collapses under extreme mismanagement