Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm honestly surprised that cell companies getting rid of unlimited data plans didn't kill all these music streaming apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Eh, I stream Spotify and Google Music off my phone all the time and I rarely come close to my 4GB cap. Especially since I have wifi at work and at home. IIRC you can set both apps to switch to lower-quality streaming when you're not on wifi.

I guess it makes sense; Verizon and the like aren't really in competition with music companies. But man is it gonna be a shitshow when all ISPs enact data caps once every cancels cable and switches to Hulu and Netflix.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Doesn't T Mobile exclude music streaming services from data tolling?

T Mobile is the only one with unlimited data though.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bradzilla posted:

No they're not

Only if you wanna count... *snickers*... Sprint!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Nonsense posted:

Is it still a feature the telcos overlook on android? that sounds tempting.

PDANet hides tethering usage

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
All I gotta say is when the final nail is hammered in for the true death of retail, I hope Microcenter makes it out alive. Last minute the other day I urgently needed an HDMI to VGA adapter. Figuring 90% of the projectors in corporate offices are still VGA, I ventured to Staples with the utmost confidence that they would have one or two types for sale. Nope. Nothing. Again, this is an office supply store and a ridiculous number of offices in the corporate world still use VGA for their projectors or older plasmas.

I go to Microcenter and they had seven different ones to choose from. SEVEN. Seven different makes, models, and types of HDMI to VGA adapters. Staples had zero. 800 different cell phone cases and power strips that you can get at a loving pharmacy, but not something slightly unique that an office might actually need. I have no doubt that poo poo like this is why Staples is in dire trouble. Not to mention the Staples brand of DVD-Rs (that were on sale by the way) were literally double the price of the DVD-Rs at Microcenter. Basically what I am saying is long live Microcenter.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bonzo posted:

Mild high stadium

Purple Dank Stadium

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I think there is going to be a resurgence of retail embracing knowledgeable, non-pushy salespeople. As some people in the thread said, a lot of people are turned off when someone tries to sell you overpriced crap because his supervisor makes him. Sometimes they will make a sale, but that person probably won't return. And you are turning off plenty of people, too. I just had an estimate done to get a patio in my backyard and the guy who came over was really annoyingly pushy. He wanted me to put money down to "secure" him so I can have it done before the summer. I saw work he did for a friend and it was great work but his way about him made me tell him I was going to keep shopping around. He was kind of making it like I was an rear end in a top hat if I didn't hire him, which basically guaranteed me not using him.

Like 2 days later I posted on a local Facebook group for dads, and I was asking general questions about patio installations. This guy messaged me and talked to me for a good 45 minutes about the different RCA/sand/concrete that should be used as a base, what material to use for the edge to secure the bricks, how to pitch it properly for the rain, etc. I asked him how he knew all of this stuff and he eventually told me he has been doing it as his business for 32 years. He wasn't even trying to make a sale and just like the goons who posted about Sweetwater, it made me way more interested in hiring him. I asked him for a few photos of his recent work, one person for reference, and hired him right away. Just because he wasn't making me feel like I was buying a used car. The work came out incredible and I am going to hire him to do other parts of my yard as well.

The other end of the spectrum is what a lot of other retailers are doing and hiring people who know barely anything and have almost no interest in helping you unless it's to open a credit card or buy a warranty. I mean Wal-Mart sucks if you ever need to ask a question about something, but at least they don't try to upsell worthless poo poo. Wal-Mart can get by on the business model of not knowing anything and having uninterested employees. But I have no idea how Sears or Guitar Center thinks they can apply that to dishwashers and digital pianos.

If you want to see an example of a retailer that is doing fantastic, just read up on PC Richards (a longtime retailer in the North East). They pay their employees extremely well (sales people there can support a family), their employees are incredibly knowledgeable, they aren't pushy, and yet with all those things, they are incredibly successful and are doing very well as a company. Even Yelp reviews for their stores are high. I don't think I ever saw a retail store with good Yelp reviews ever.

I mean obviously whatever all the other big box retailers are doing isn't working so you'd think more places would try this.

Ryoshi posted:

The Sears thing should not be a surprise to anyone that has ever had the displeasure of visiting their corporate HQ.

The roof of their building leaks basically all the gently caress over when it rains, and since the majority of the campus is an enormous, open, glass-walled atrium the end result is that any time there is a light drizzle outside the atrium is literally filled with dozens of rollable dumpsters used to catch errant rainfall.

There's an unlicensed Red Box machine in said atrium, but it's not connected to the Red Box network at large and has not had its selection updated in years. Because it's not technically a Red Box any more they cut out a big lovely looking slice of bread from craft foam and call it the Bread Box.

The HQ keeps samples that vendors bring in and then sell them to their employees in the "sample store", which occasionally leads to fun things like them selling hundreds of prop phone chargers that didn't actually have wires in them, or old lovely off-brand net books from 2007 with no cords or batteries.

The CEO runs the company like a gladiatorial arena - departments fight over limited funding in adversarial meetings explicitly scheduled to pit managers against each other, because everyone remembers that old adage "a house divided is totally awesome, guys."

That same CEO forced IT to spend millions developing an internal social network and then forced employees to use it specifically to spy on them.

One of their call centers was, last I heard, running hundreds of machines off of a single aging T1 line, and their techs couldn't figure out why things were timing out regularly.

And while I haven't worked there in years, the network thing mentioned above is in no way the first time they've decided to just not pay a vendor.

What's weird is that all of this is very visible and people are aware of how lovely it is and half their employees are STILL absurdly loyal to the company. Sorry, not employees - "associates".

This is hilarious and I want photographs of Sears HQ as soon as humanly possible.

As for their horrendous CEO, isn't there some theory out there that he actually benefits more if they fail than if they succeed? I could be remembering it wrong but I could have sworn I read an article about that.

e: and you answered the question right before my post!

Chumbawumba4ever97 has a new favorite as of 19:47 on Jun 29, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

eric posted:

The sales people at PC Richards probably get a commission. The concept of sales associates that can't earn a commission infuriates me. Retailers try to spin this as creating a hassle free environment yet employees are reprimanded if they don't sell enough services/warranties/accessories/etc. that they don't get a cut of.

Yeah, PC Richards do get commission. Unfortunately there are none in Vermont but I used to buy stuff from them all the time when I lived in NY and they somehow were way, way less pushy with warranties and add-ons than Best Buy ever was, yet Best Buy employees aren't even getting compensation out of it which is crazy.

I think it is what destroyed Circuit City, too. They were doing fine when their workers were on commission. Then they fired all of their top employees (that is not a typo) and hired high schoolers for $7.50 an hour. You saw the difference immediately. Stores looked like poo poo, nobody knew anything, no one cared about helping you, and they were out of business not that much longer after that. I really do believe the executives get compensated for saving the company tons of money (no more salespeople earning 70k a year), then they get the hell out of there before poo poo hits the fan, then a few months later everyone realizes they should never shop there again and the guy who made that decision is long gone so he doesn't care anyway.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

PallasAthene posted:

I know someone who got out of the military with full disability and since then he'll get a part time job at a place where he wants a discount, work a day or two a week and if it stops being fun he quits after a year or two. He worked at Cabela's for a while and said that their company really bought into the idea that now customers just use their computers or phones to pick what they want and just come in with their minds made up, so they just needed to follow what was trending online and have people there to hand out what people wanted. So he worked in the gun section and he said they went from hiring people who really knew a lot about guns or scopes to hiring people who "liked" guns and would work for minimum wage. He said after a while they stopped doing things like bringing people to train employees about guns or hunting and instead got people to give seminars about selling credit cards or warranties, and the company had a seminar where they divided customers into categories based on how much money they spent and how much time they took. I don't remember exactly how they did it, but I remember him saying that they called old people "Goldens" and because they tend to talk a lot and not have as much money to spend as young professionals or babyboomers, the company put them as lowest priority. He said it sucked because he said the only people who come in before noon were retired old guys who wanted to look at cowboys guns and their managers wanted them to pretty much blow the old guys off and vacuum the floor or something so they wouldn't come in now often because they didn't spend as much money per hour of interaction and as a whole they weren't tech-savvy enough to complain about it online.

A while later he was working at an Autozone or NAPA or something and said since they didn't give a poo poo about what trended, the store he worked at still hired folks who knew a lot about cars or tools, or were pure cashiers.

Yeah this is what I don't get. Retail has everything going against them compared to online except one thing: human interaction. You can buy anything online; the only reason you'd buy it in person is because it's clothing, or because it's something you need to know about and can speak to someone about. I am not going to call Amazon and ask them which dryer has the best features. Retailers not seeing this is amazing to me. And you mentioned Autozone which is a great point because I absolutely love that place and try to fix stuff myself and I am not that good with cars, but they explain everything to me. So I pretty much buy anything car related from them. If they hire a bunch of teens who only try to sell Modern Driver magazine subscriptions I'll just go to Amazon unless I absolutely positively need it that second.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

There will always be salesmen for certain things. Cars, finance, whole sale liquor, pharmaceuticals, technology, etc. My fear is that eventually the competition for those positions will be so great because all the other places people used to be able to make a living as a salesman will be gone and it's going to be a huge cut throat industry even more so than it is now.

Oh yeah salespeople are definitely needed. I just think they are better off being knowledgeable and selling what you came in for. For the long-term I feel like that is better than whatever Guitar Center is up to (I don't work or shop there; just going by posts here).

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Ah yes, the Radio Shack business model. Solid plan.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

kazr posted:

amazon same day delivery is going to absolutely destroy every big box store lol

It will really screw up Wal Mart but I don't see it impacting places that sell stuff like refrigerators or washing machines or anything. Just basically everything else though. Buy stock in retail locations that sell cold drinks or something you really can't get from Amazon even same day.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

darkhand posted:

Wal-mart online also has incredibly obscure items a lot of times. It's going to be funny if Walmart ever complains that Amazon is pushing them out of a market.

There were a bunch of protesters with picket signs a few years ago demanding Amazon start charging sales tax, which seems like an odd thing to be picketing. Anyway it turned out Walmart was behind the whole thing lol

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Booblord Zagats posted:

The prices on TruCar are the ones that the dealers post. It's used to drive prices up and create an illusion of savings.

They often don't report sales on the low end of the median to the site so they can make people think MSRP is a deal

Supposedly Costco has a great service for buying new cars and not dealing with having to haggle the lowest price, hoping the salesperson isn't loving you. And I guess it's legit because they never advertise it.

And I really do hope some goon uploads a video of them touring Sears HQ like the Building 19 thrift video from a few years back.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

XK posted:

Sears' website is the worst major retailer website I've ever seen. Seriously, go there right now and look up something that should be a prime Sears product, like a car jack, or a lawnmower blade. It's almost completely unusable.

haha yeah. Search for "car jack" and you will get everything and anything that has either word in it. Tons of pages of "car floor mats" and "Jack the Ripper documentary on DVD" and maybe on page 72 you will come across a car jack.

Speaking of Sears' website, anyone remember this gem? (:nws:)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

i worked in a warehouse like this for a little while for a popular video game company with a cell phone game that's really popular right now. they would lay off 50-300 people a week and a lot of those people would kill themselves. they were definitely circling the drain until the cell phone game came out.

What country was this warehouse in? I'm assuming China?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

I'm not doubting you but how was dozens of US workers committing suicide not major news?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

mintskoal posted:

I know it's been discussed to death in this thread but I went in a Kmart this weekend looking for a martini glass for a party (long story). What a bleak wasteland. poo poo scattered everywhere, employees that look about 2 seconds away from blowing their brains out, nothing really of value on the shelves. Looked like a shittier version of Goodwill. Of course they didn't have the glass but the Dollar Tree next door did so whatever.

Moral of the story is that Kmart is basically worse than Dollar Tree now.

But retail magnate Eddie Lampert is a shrewd businesses man, that doesn't make any sense at all.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Tumble posted:

I returned a year-old AC unit to Wal-Mart because I was moving into a new building that only allowed floor-standing air conditioners. I had no receipt, and when the manager said I could exchange it, I just lied and said "Oh, no way. This things been shorting out my apartment for the last few months. I'll take store credit."

No real moral or message here, if you want to pull something on a box store just be marginally creative I guess. They don't give a gently caress.

This is so weird because I had the literal opposite experience at Wal Mart. I bought a new 3ds XL and had the receipt and it was brand new. I brought it back to Walmart maybe 16 days after I bought it and they absolutely refused to give me my money back. Wouldn't even give me store credit.

I asked why and they said "14 days for game consoles only" and they absolutely refused to cut me a break. However, I got them in a sticky situation because they had opened the system to match the serial number to the receipt. So I told her "I handed you a brand new item, you opened it, and now you're giving it back to me telling me I can't return it? No way. Now I can't give it as a gift or sell it as new because you opened it".

So the manager comes over and seems a bit more sympathetic but he literally could not get the computer to accept the return. On an item I bought 16 fuckin days ago, that was brand new, and I had a receipt for. I literally had to stand there on the phone with Walmart's 800 number who had me pass my cell phone to the manager as they instructed him on what to do. It involved them printing some weird label with an exception code written on it and they had to stay on the phone to make sure I actually handed it to them and did not walk out of the store with it. Then UPS would come pick it up and then I'd get my refund :psyduck:

I figured Walmart is just ridiculously anal about returns and manager's brains go into error loop mode when a return is 48 hours past the return date but then I hear stories like yours and I don't know what the gently caress to think.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Justin Tyme posted:

I always hear about Kmarts having old-rear end N64 games for full retail price still but when I went to the one around here on a whim they actually had zero video games at all, it was strange. Also random aisles in the middle of the store that sold MILK. No organization at all, the food sections weren't even logically laid out in the store, just random aisles of frozen food among clothes. Imagine going to Walmart and seeing off-brand steak-umms next to the loving medical/hygiene section.

I regularly have weird dreams that I walk into a Kmart in the middle of nowhere down south and they are stocked with sealed copies of Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG. It makes sense this would be a dream because it would also result in me being a millionaire.

Chumbawumba4ever97 has a new favorite as of 14:23 on Jul 26, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Darth123123 posted:

You shop at Kmart

Uh, I don't. There's none within even an hour of me.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

PallasAthene posted:

Has anyone else noticed that they've been checking receipts as you leave Wal-Mart for the last month or so? I was walking out of the store and talking on my phone when one of the retiree-aged greeters stepped right in front of me and say "RECEIPT CHECK!" while thrusting his hand out at me. I asked him if that was a requirement to shop at Wal-Mart because as far as I knew, you had to agree to that when signing in, like at Sam's. He told me it's going to be a rule that everyone gets their bags checked as they leave, and they were going to be replacing all the greeters with LP agents in the next few months. I wonder if that's going to be nationwide.

I used to shop at an electronics/music store in Brooklyn called "Nobody Beats The Wiz" (yes that Seinfeld episode was making fun of a real store) and no joke, they would take any and all of your bags or jacket as soon as you walked into the store and they'd give you a ticket to reclaim your bag/purse/jacket/whatever when you were done shopping. My mom used to hate taking me there but they had TMNT Secret of the Ooze on VHS!!!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
PC Richard is still doing very well. It's the only retail establishment I can think of where the employees are treated like humans and they actually can support a family on their salary there. Every time I go there, they know the ins and outs of their respective department, even on nerd stuff like TV refresh rates. And they're not pushy either. Supposedly they are financially very well, dispelling the myth that paying employees well spells instant doom. Whenever I visit my parents (they live on Long Island) I buy whatever I need for my home (I live in Vermont) from them just because of how great they are. Often times they are way cheaper than other places, too. And it's super easy to haggle the prices a bit.

Y-Hat posted:

Ah, that old place. In the mid-'90s, it felt like every pro sports game played in New Jersey or New York had some form of advertising for Nobody Beats the Wiz. Look at the advertising on the boards for the 1994 NHL Eastern Conference Finals or the scoreboard for the 1996 Yankees- it was seemingly unavoidable. They changed their name to just "The Wiz" in 1998 or something, probably because they were in bad financial straits by then (or, to crib from their language- they were being beaten). They went out of business entirely a couple of years later. No big loss, really- the only time I can remember going in one, they had a poor selection of everything. Wasn't it owned by the Dolans at one point?

Haha yeah the Dolans bought Nobody Beats the Wiz because FiOS was becoming a thing and they basically just used them as Cablevision retail stations that sold music CDs.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Tallgeese posted:

I can actually sort of explain this one.

About twenty-five years ago, before executives in general completely sold their souls to Mammon and hence sort of cared about their customers, companies usually didn't have time limits on returns. Then the SNES came out, and people were returning their years-old NESes to buy it. Nintendo flipped their lid and strong-armed Target and other retailers into instituting time limits on returns.

So, you can literally blame Nintendo for that.

Are you sure? Costco had an "unlimited return policy" for a while. I bought an XBox 360 in 2006 and they let me return it in 2011 when it died. I got the full price back for it. They had changed the policy to 2 years by 2011, but had to honor it because it existed when I bought it in 2006.

Chumbawumba4ever97 has a new favorite as of 19:51 on Jul 31, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

thathonkey posted:

not really related to your story but Costco is like the one major company that still gives half a gently caress about their employees and customers

Notice they are still financially well-off. Funny how some companies manage to do both. With every other company claiming prices will skyrocket if they have to pay their employees higher than poverty-level wages.

Motherfucker I just bought a delicious 17" circumference Costco cheesecake for $9!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Darth123123 posted:

Their biz model is different tho. No signage promotes random impulse buys, membership fees, etc all drive up profit.

That's even funnier if all it takes is $60 a year per customer to pay employees well.

You Are A Elf posted:

Thanks to this thread, I now know that Biz Markie's "Nobody Beats the Biz" was more than just a killer rap song, he got the name from the store and the hook is an interpolation of the Wiz's jingle!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK7XCXN55Hw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUsXliGhhHU

Y'learn something new on Something Awful every day.

Glad I could contribute!

He was sued for it by the way.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Kareem posted:

I've read that those membership fees are most of Costco's profit.

I'm sure they aren't selling stuff below cost, but the margins on merchandise are pretty low. It's the $55/year membership fees that keep investors happy. Plus the CEO is pretty stubborn about prices. The Costco hotdog + drink has been the same price since Reagan was President.

They said they cap their profit on product at I believe 17%. Still not too bad considering stores like Best Buy regularly sell things at 1% profit (laptops for example).

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I think it's as simple as some rear end in a top hat shareholder going:

"Wait. We pay $12.50 Minimum? The federal minimum is only $7.25! We have 135,000 American employees, so we would save $708,750 per working hour by slashing their wages to the minimum allowed by law. People will work it, people are lining up to work at mcdonalds and wal mart!

Once we cut benefits and fire all the entrenched employees making $14-$18 think of the hundreds of millions we will save"

This kind of reminds me of chain restaurants that fill cups to the brim with ice to save 5 cents per glass because someone with Excel figured out "well times that by 30,000,000 drinks a year and that's an extra 1.5M per year!!!! Ignoring the fact that it pisses people off and makes them not want to go back as often.

PallasAthene posted:

Did they flat out fire you for making too much, cook up a reason, or just cut your hours until you had to find another job? It seems odd that a company can just say "We're getting rid of these people in exchange for cheaper labor" and not get in legal trouble or at the very least have to pay unemployment.

This is definitely legal. I worked at Circuit City when they laid off their best salespeople (it was a company-wide thing). I wasn't on commission because I wasn't a salesman, so I have no horse in this race and I'm not bitter.

Anyway, they laid off their best salespeople when they decided to stop commission sales because it was "costing them too much money" (somehow ignoring the fact that the employee was only making that much because they generated that much more in sales for the company). Anyway, they flat-out told anyone who averaged over $20 an hour that they were terminated (so if as a commissioned employee, you made $41,000 @ 40 hr a week that year, you were gone).

Anyone who averaged less than $20 an hour were allowed to stay, and they would be paid their previous average as their hourly pay. Now keep in mind that at the time, you could work at Circuit City and raise a family (yes, in early 2000s this was real). I knew people there making $75,000 a year. These people had kids and were older and could sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman in white gloves. They also were constantly reading up on the latest tech news and they would extensively learn about any of the products they sold. They would go to a Pioneer, Panasonic, Bose, etc. showcase in different states to learn about the new products coming out. People would come back and spend thousands of dollars numerous times, each time requesting specific salesmen because they were so great.

Anyway, they told anyone who averaged over $20 an hour they were fired. If you averaged $19.00 an hour, you now made $19.00 an hour no matter how you sold. So you could literally hide in the breakroom all day and you'd make the same amount of money as if you sold twelve flat-screen TVs. You can see why Circuit City is no longer in business.

Anyway the point of the story was that employees absolutely were told "you are being fired because you make too much money". There was even a cutoff dollar amount. Eventually Circuit City got rid of anyone making more than $8-9 an hour a year or two later, which means there were literally zero good salespeople left. I had already left there long before that, but my friends who still worked there told me almost all employees were now 18-19 years old, stunk of weed, looked like they just rolled out of bed that morning, and knew nothing about anything sold in the store. This was a place where you used to get in trouble if you didn't wear clean dress shoes and a pressed dress shirt. So essentially, zero incentive to buy from them instead of Wal-Mart, but at least at Wal-Mart you kind of expect no one to be able to help you.

tl;dr: firing employees for making too much money is entirely legal, and we were even told that's why you were being fired (or :airquote: laid off :airquote:)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jumpingmanjim posted:

So they fired their best salespeople and kept their worst?

Genius

Yep.

I was there for the termination meeting (even though I wasn't a salesperson). It was ridiculous. It was a big meeting in the car audio garage and they had tissue boxes everywhere (seriously) and everyone knew some poo poo was going down.

"You performed to well last year, and you are being fired for it. Terrible to OK salespeople will remain". Then a year or two later they fired the remaining OK salespeople.

If you want the way it was described verbatim, they basically just stated that anyone who averaged $20+ an hour due to commission, you are terminated immediately. I remember this one guy begging to keep his job, saying he would work for minimum wage, because his wife was 7 months pregnant and he was going to be completely hosed with her giving birth without health insurance. They were sympathetic (honestly the supervisors and managers there were cool people and were genuinely in tears), but they said they couldn't even pay him minimum wage because it had something to do with corporate assuming anyone taking that much of a paycut is going to be spiteful or vengeful. I really am not making any of this up. So yeah, oddly enough if you averaged $19.50 an hour, you got to stay, but if you averaged $20.01 and even offered to take a cut to $19.50 (or even $7) you could not stay. It was really weird.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. 47 posted:

Actually, a big problem in corporate governance over the last couple decades is that companies often don't listen to shareholders.

In fact, in every U.S. State, laws have been passed dictating that shareholder votes are recommendations and are not binding. In Indiana, this is covered in IC Title 23, I don't know where it would be I other states.

The great irony of this is that companies that do follow shareholder wishes generally perform better, As Gompers, Ishii, and Metrick wrote in their paper Corporate Governance and Equity Prices, published in the February 2003 issue of Quarterly Journal of Economics. As they discovered, (and as has been borne out in a number of academic papers afterward), companies with broad shareholder rights had higher value, higher profits, lower expenditures, and were less frequently acquired.

It's easy to poo poo on shareholders, when you don't see yourself as a shareholder. But when it's your retirement account, or mutual fund, or pension that is the shareholder, then it's very important to you that shareholder wealth grow. Further, when your employer is counting on being able to roll over or refinance their debt, and consequently is counting on reasonable interest rates because they're financed more with debt than equity, you're going to wish that they had a few more shares out there rather than Your job being reliant on low interest rates.

All that to say, it's not a problem that companies seek to serve shareholders. In fact, not enough companies are seeking to serve shareholders.

This is spot-on as almost all of my 401k is in stocks so I am literally a shareholder in several ways (I buy some stocks as well). I think people complaining about shareholders are the ones who want returns NOW NOW NOW. I guess those would be day traders? I'm not sure. A lot of times short-term profit decisions destroy long-term profits. A good example being the KB Toys debacle. Of course the stock is going to go up when you fire half your staff (which makes people who are stockholders happy) but it's going to eventually come crashing down when there's no one to stock shelves and going to the store is a miserable experience, leading to the stock crumbling in the end. At least that's what I assume is going on when people say they have a problem with shareholders.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

darkhand posted:

I'm kinda surprised Sony hasn't come up with some social network crap. It seems like something dumb they would do

I just looked up what they charge for a 64 gig card for the Vita. $110 US dollars.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Humboldt Squid posted:

We're pretty solidly lower class and on ebt (food stamps) but we do a couple big trips to costco a month because it actually saves you a ton of money. Two boxes of baby formula pays for the membership fee in savings. Plus the kids get really excited for samples.

Yeah I never understood the whole "Costco does well because they cater to a fancier clientele" like they're Tiffany's or something. I wasn't exaggerating when I said that I buy cheesecakes and red velvet cakes that can feed a small village and they're like $9. I save so much money there.

Moridin920 posted:

anyway imo go back to stories of companies going down in flames there's like 4 different threads for talking about the plight of america today

You guys remember Butterfly Labs?

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/02/bitcoin-startup-butterfly-labs-settles-with-ftc-for-38-6m-but-it-cant-pay/

$38.6m fine! They're broke as gently caress so they're only gonna end up paying like $15k though haha.

Why is their website still up and taking orders? Why does no one go to jail for this poo poo but a guy selling fake Prada bags gets arrested?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'll never grasp how stupid the guy who took over sears is. i've read the article about him destroying sears probably a dozen times and it still never makes any sense.

And he's still being paid ungodly amounts of money for running two companies into the ground. Makes u think...

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

kazr posted:

a part of me wants to get a super part time retail position along side my normal job so i can spend 12 hours a week telling customers to suck my drat balls and corporate to suck my dick, gently caress boys

Kind of like in American Beauty.

That does sound like fun. Get a job at Wal-Mart, not work a minute past when I'm supposed to, tell everyone we should unionize, tell them no I am not working on the day of my son's piano recital; all the stuff you wish you could do if you absolutely needed that job.

I'm surprised some blogger or hidden camera youtube person hasn't done that yet.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
That sucks because when I have awesome supervisors I make it a point to never take advantage. In fact if my supervisor is a huge rear end in a top hat and makes my life miserable, that's more incentive for me to call in sick and not give a poo poo. If I'm happy there, I'm not going to try to weasel out of work. If I hate it (terrible boss) then my attitude becomes way more accepting of calling in sick. I once went 5 years straight of never calling in sick because I loved my boss and I never got sick (or if I did, it just happened to be on a weekend).

I highly suspect that when it's an undesirable job, people are more likely to abuse a nice supervisor. For example, if I worked at Wal-Mart, I probably would take advantage of a nice boss. Because I get paid poo poo. But at a legit career, hells no I'd never take advantage of a nice boss. Quite the opposite. I'd come in with a broken ankle for people like that.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Kumbamontu posted:

I hate confrontation and being a supervisor in a call center for 10 months was one of the worst things I've ever had to do. So glad I don't have to be the boss anymore and can just hang out and crunch numbers while listening to music

Yeah I do manual labor work but I'm asked all the time if I want to be a supervisor and lol if you think I'm going to tell a guy he's not getting paid for a week because he didn't shave his face properly before putting on his respirator. I mean I get that someone has to do it but I'm not going to.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeah, but what if he walked in with a chin strap beard. Then it'd be kind of worth it.

They'd probably make me terminate him.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Yeah I've learned that recently. I oversee two shift supervisors. I typically also work split 1st and 2nd or pure 2nd since I don't like working from 4:00AM and I choose my own hours.

Two weeks ago I had two employees leave at 3:00PM and the next day I noticed their punch was 4:30PM. When I corrected it back to 3:00PM I got a threatening voicemail and had one of the employee's screaming at me over stealing his time, before long though he admitted that he was wrong and wouldn't do it again. I should have either fired him then or reprimanded him but I let the issue go.

Fast forward to Friday. Someone anonymously tells me that the same two employees will clock in at 4:00AM and then leave work completely for random amounts of time (sometimes up to 2 hours) so I get here before we open for our first shift, watch them clock in and leave for almost an hour. When I met them at the door and asked them why they were clocked in at 4:00AM but were just now arriving (simply asking the question) I had an employee screaming in my face for about 15 minutes. Accusing me of stealing time (I'm salary) accusing my second shift supervisor of stealing time (who I work with every day) accusing me of retaliating over a temporary worker being let go (what? who? what?) accusing me of some kind of conspiracy to get rid of them by making up lies.

When I asked their shift supervisor if they had been doing this regularly he confirmed they have been and then asked him why he had been allowing this (they are friends) and told him that is unacceptable he started threatening to quit. Not even a formal reprimand just "Dude it isn't cool to let people steal time like that" "gently caress YOU BRO, FIND SOMEONE ELSE TO DO MY JOB"

So me catching two employees stealing time led to 3 complaints being filed against me about an hour ago.

Not to mention the 3 people that found out they could access our web based timeclock remotely because someone in purchasing decided we didn't need the Domain/IP specific package anymore and people were clocking in from their houses. At the time I was opening at 4:00AM and I had an employee clocking in at 3:30 every morning. When I asked him how he clocked in a half an hour before I unlocked the building he stammered for about 10 seconds before saying he was breaking into the building, clocking in on the timeclock, then leaving no trace he was ever there like batman he would then leave, every morning.

When I reprimanded those 3 and had them write up a formal statement they went straight from my office and all 3 filed complaints against me, again.

Like, even if these guys start at 4:00AM, they want to come in at 4:30 or 5:00 I might have some minor "Hey let's work together guys, just try and get here on time" speech which leads to me getting 6 formal complaints against me and no raise or bonus due to bad employee feedback.

That sucks that is happening to you. If it makes you feel better, they're not filing reports against you because they hate you. It's because they know they messed up and are trying to save their asses. Like when you catch someone shoplifting and instead of just running away they scream and yell about how you touched them or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jumpingmanjim posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-walmart-crime/

Here is a good article about the problems created for local police because wal mart does not take its crime problem seriously enough.

I like how when my car was broken into it took the cops six hours to show up and they could not have possibly cared less. But take a microwave from a Walmart and the entire force is called in.