Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Barudak posted:

It's not a matter of ignoring them, it's just that's not how they think about it. They focus on the activities they are supporting, which combined with their advertising media of choice, typically skews younger since that's who is typically most active outside. That said their typical consumer is definitely well north of 30. They're genuinely pretty good about not trying to put their consumers in specific boxes and make conscious efforts to avoid over-catering to men despite what generic data would say.

You start out in 2004 by saying, “Hipster. Hipster. Hipster.” By 2008 you can't say “hipster” — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like co-op, fair trade and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about sustainability, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] millennials buy more than Xers. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the scene problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, “We cater to certain activities,” is much more abstract than even the co-op thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “Hipster, hipster.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

readingatwork posted:

I went into a BB for the first time in years because I needed a usb cable for work a few months back. What a shithole that place has become. It's like some exec saw those annoying specialty kiosks in the mall and thought "Yeah, let's make the entire store nothing but these and then triple the prices on everything! People will like that right!?" It was an experience I can only describe as surreal.

Oh and that cable I needed? $25. Current price on newegg: $5

Lol read the thread you idiot

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
There was a news story here a few years ago where the LP guy at a K-Mart was killed while trying to stop someone from stealing compact discs.

He deserved to die.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Jastiger posted:

Just heard thr This American Life bit about. L Bean and their forever return policy. They are doing fine but its pretty crazy you can return 15 year old merch.

Costco posted:

everything's coming up Costco!

so far the only consensus seems to be the way for a business to succeed is to cater to rich WASPs first and foremost