Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Quote-Unquote posted:

edit: while working at GAME, one Christmas they had this great reward scheme for staff. For every (admittedly crappy) own brand £10 PS2 pad you sold, you got an extra quid in your pay. Sales went through the goddamn roof. Now these pads cost the company less than £1 to make, so it was still massive margin for them.

After the Christmas period was over, they put the price of the pads up to £15, removed the £1 staff incentive bonus, and told everyone that if their attachment rate of own brand pads to games and consoles dropped they'd face disciplinary action, since it was obvious that we could sell that many if we tried.

Sales absolutely plummeted and loads of staff quit.

They heard about Taylorism and then just stopped reading after the anecdote about the guys shoveling coal for a contest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Counter counter counter point: it's smash, who cares what the other person looks like.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

BloodBag posted:

I do electron beam welding so everything I do is done under a vacuum to protect the beam as well as eliminate oxidation.

For anyone else who read this sentence and thought it sounded rad as heck and wanted to know more: Wiki article

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

BigDave posted:

Les Wexner, yeah. He's the only client of Epstein's they have been able to verify, and the two of them have been very close. Epstein almost certainly has video of him loving children

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/25/business/jeffrey-epstein-wexner-victorias-secret.html

Fixed.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yeah, there's no loving way that was actually veal.

It was probably the worst possible cuts, at like 0.2lb of actual veal and 0.5lb of sauce.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

CitizenKain posted:

Solo just had the misfortune of coming out right after everyone saw Infinity War and Deadpool 2. It was also only a few months since TLJ. Not to mention all the per-release press on the movie was grim.
If they had pushed the movie back to December I bet it would have done fine.

Solo had the misfortune of being unbearably boring. I actually gave up half way through.

Volmarias has a new favorite as of 16:16 on Aug 10, 2019

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Krispy Wafer posted:

The problem with Rogue One is the ending is so magnificent that I have no interest in watching the rest of it. I'll just put on that Hammerhead Corvette ramming the Star Destroyer and watch from there.

Once I realized that the giant battle is just an ad for a Star Wars: Battlefront tie in that was probably cancelled, it stopped being so enjoyable.

I did enjoy the fact that they seamlessly transitioned to Ep 4, if you haven't seen the clip of the end of Rogue 1 and the start of Ep 4, you should, the transition is beautifully designed and probably the best part of the movie.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I still can't get the image of a kid frantically trying to get a flaming infinity gauntlet oven mitt off his hand, running around screaming because he just wanted to help mom with dinner.

The tastiest cookies require the strongest wills

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Moon Slayer posted:

If they didn't want to be laid off they should have worked harder and gone to management and said "hey you're paying us too much and giving us too many benefits, yes I'll be happy to work unpaid overtime." Management cannot fail, it can only be failed.

At the risk of derail necromancy this was literally the argument that was being used for Hostess; the union didn't want to accept pay cuts and the executives didn't want to pay themselves less, so "the unions" "killed" the company.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sounds like you've got a bad case of the NIMBYs!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

THE EASIEST WAY TO SOLVE HOMELESSNESS IS TO GIVE UNHOMED PEOPLE HOMES

(check out "housing first" programs for citations.)

confiscate the investment properties, airbnbs, vacation homes, and vacant condos and give them to people who don't have homes

Woah woah woah woah hold up, can we get a solution that doesn't require effort on my part?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

YggiDee posted:

Apparently they do... Mail-order invisible braces? You send them a 3D mold of your teeth and they have an Orthodontist look at it and they mail back braces. So it's either a clever way to disrupt the comically overpriced and corrupt US medical industry, or its yet another startup scam targeting vulnerable folks who can't afford dental plans.

Por qué no los dos?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That or if their tech skills and English are good enough they're on their way to moving to America anyway. From what I've heard India in particular also has a massively growing tech sector. Even where I am in America I can't go anywhere tech-related without tripping over Indians constantly.

That only works in the short term and I feel like that's what some companies are actually finding. If you frustrate your customer until they quit trying to get you to fix the problem they're going to remember that the next time they buy something. Yeah they can just not give a poo poo if they're a monopoly but there's even limits to that; when I moved away from a place where my options were "Comcast or lol gently caress you" I actively looked for places that had other options. On top of that people remember those things whenever the company rolls around trying to sell them something. Once people hate a particular company they'll jump away from it the first opportunity to get. Obviously this is part of why companies love forming monopolies. Can't go to the competition if there isn't any.

Counterpoint: call centers are cost centers and the short term thinking MBA who makes the call will be away with his cost cutting bonus before anyone else has to care.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

totalnewbie posted:

When poo poo gets unfucked...

I like the optimism here

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ofecks posted:

Is branch banking becoming scarce in rural areas as well?

They're mainly sales offices for business accounts and mortgages, neither of which you'll find great sources of nearby. Regular single person checking doesn't make much money, and if no one has enough savings for a savings account...

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Biplane posted:

American banking was one of the bigger shocks as a european coming to live there. Actual physical paychecks, practically non-existent online banking and transfers taking days. Here I can instantly transfer money or pay bills, with no fees attached, online on my phone.

This is becoming more prevent. My credit union has a decent enough mobile app that does all those things.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

. (Although there might have been a tacit understanding that otherwise the EC might simply just have dictated one.)

That's exactly the reason it happened, making people buy extra chargers was a source of revenue and a form of lock in.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Holy hell just stop responding and put them on the ignore list already so we can talk about how Tesla will drive itself off a cliff

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

It definitely wasn't up north either. This really sounds like someone's half baked business idea ("The entertainment COMES TO YOU!!!") that eventually died when it turns out people who rent things out of a van might not give them back, and gas / milage is expensive.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Dannywilson posted:

Also add in what happened to WA when they legalized, poo poo started out at like $25/g because it was following black market pricing+tax, and is now less than $7/g because the market stabilized.

Anyone that wasn't expecting that, being one of the main selling points of legalization, would be foolish.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Keeping office drones happy isn't all that difficult, I think. My guess is probably a few changes. First thing is to make things less loving soulless. Offices are just so bleak. Let the drones actually decorate the drat place. Next if they get their poo poo done early let them go home a bit early instead of forcing them to sit in a box and pretend to work. If they get their work done in half the time you expected then give them a drat raise and find them other things to do. Then stop it with the MANDATORY CORPORATE FUN DAY bullshit. It's always the most boring, inoffensive crap that almost nobody actually likes. Alternatively let the people participating in the activities choose. Maybe get multiple potential options together and let people pick which ones they want. Most assuredly never schedule that poo poo on Saturday. Let them work from home more. Actually reward people who accomplish exceptional things. Leave them the gently caress alone on the weekend unless it's an emergency. Last thing you do is get rid of the politicking busy bodies that have nothing better to do than lord whatever tiny sliver of power they can get over everybody else, actively look for any excuse to complain about inconsequential crap, and actively avoid doing any actual work. Those people are organizational cancer.

Now give me a billion dollars, tia.

This would cost money and my personal corporate fiefdom, so no.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

Chick Fil A is still in business, and when called out on their terrible poo poo they go "Ok. We also make bomb-rear end chicken. Do you want some chicken?" and the overwhelming majority of their customers go "Yes, also, we too agree that abortion is murder, gays are icky, and Jesus is Lord."

Fixed. They're an openly religious company, and they haven't apologized for poo poo to my knowledge.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

Lmao, fine the joke sucked but why are you guys so hot and bothered by people clearly bullshitting about Chick-fil-A on the forums?

Poe's law but there really are actual Nazis in this timeline who would actually like to murder people posting here, please stop

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

This poo poo is unjust gently caress this weird dog pile. Don't say homophobic slurs and justify your Sturm und drang citing it's "authentic passion" or whatever

:goonsay:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Yeah, I get that the "just say no to drugs" approach isn't always realistic. Ultimately, just do what you can. Consider bringing food from home due to an unspecified medical issue, which is probably going to be better for you anyway.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

You sure it's not a Zumba mobile app?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is what happens when you don't pay up on Tuesday.

Oh man. I didn't even get the Wimpy reference until someone pointed it out. Thank you ryonguy

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

:psyduck:

How does this company still exist? It feels like a parody

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

This slide deck will never get old

Uncle Lloyd posted:

They stumbled into a spectacular amount of money by investing early in Alibaba.

Yeah, but all I ever hear about them is failed acquisitions. I don't understand how they haven't sunk by now

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

OMGVBFLOL posted:

what baffles me is how best buy is afloat with the sharp decline in physical media. are they the one chain surviving on high dollar durable goods?

They got a CEO that didn't double down on selling warranties for extension cords and started price matching Amazon along with providing services that Amazon etc won't. I've actually been there a couple times recently and it's gone from "ugh gently caress this place, I'm only here because I have to be" to "ok looks like they actually do have the thing I need, today, and hey it doesn't take ten years to check out either and they didn't demand a sign up for a credit card, this was an otherwise pleasant retail experience" so I'm actually inclined to want to return there to buy things.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Without the invisible hand off the free market to give me a reach around why even bother with crushing these dreams?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Biplane posted:

For anyone wondering Norway has steadily moved towards the american model of society due to our hardcore capitalist governments over the last couple of decades. Austerity! Brown people bad! Tax cuts for billionaires (that are paid for by increasing taxes for poor people) good!

We don't raise taxes on the poor as much as run up the debt then wait for the Democrats to be in power then scream about how the nation cannot afford all this wasteful spending so the budget for social services simply MUST be cut!!!

The Two Santas Theory

Volmarias has a new favorite as of 16:04 on Nov 16, 2019

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

rotinaj posted:

I have been wondering this for a while

How many thousands of people would become instantly unemployed from their jobs at health insurance companies? And not just some dickhead whose job is to deny old ladies their coverage, but mailroom clerks and accountants and secretaries and people whose job is just to do paperwork. If universal healthcare passes, that eliminates the purpose for a lot of the private companies, and will mean massive layoffs if not shuttering of companies, right? Sure, those people can get jobs in new places, but that's still a lot of people entering the job market all at once. Not a great situation, as far as I see

But if they arrested the man shooting all the windows in the neighborhood, how would the window installers make their living? To say nothing of the workers at the window factory, the delivery drivers, and the most important ones of all, the sales reps

mind the walrus posted:

You would think conservatives would be all over the way reform would inevitably screw over a percentage of workers and patients. They love knowing there are winners and losers.

This keeps serfs from being tied to the land, and it implies that perhaps being poor isn't a moral choice with poor quality of life as their good and just punishment.

Volmarias has a new favorite as of 15:05 on Nov 18, 2019

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

SA renamed to S-Fil-A

poo poo posting drops by 15% but sandwich related shitposts rise precipitously

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

OMGVBFLOL posted:

companies that should have no trouble attracting investors

:thunk:

Wonder why they picked kick starter

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

:thejoke:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

Check out that icon in the upper right corner.

Wrong button, get plat and let Lowtax's spine host your images for free :smaug:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was surprised to see that Circuit City has an actual site but it's very bare-bones. I guess if I ever need $64 HDMI cables I know where to look

quote:

Our Story

We know the name Circuit City comes with a long history of tech innovation, dating back to the late 1940’s, and we intertwine this deep rooted knowledge and know-how into our modern shopping experience. We believe in making the first move, encouraging gusto, and disrupting the way that technology and commerce connect.

Our personalized shopping platform is designed to give you the one-on-one customized experience you would get as if you had a personal shopping assistant by your side. We’re extremely proud to have such a reputable brand name to work under and we don’t take this responsibility lightly. And while we’re outrageously loyal to the prestige of this strong brand name, we also acknowledge that fun and exploration are essentially to maintaining any long-lasting, modern, and forward-thinking brand identity.

:barf:

Sounds like someone bought the brand name for a song and is setting up a lovely reseller site.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ofecks posted:

I bought the first DVD volume of this waybackwhen because the anime people told me it's essentially Xenogears (or the other way around?), a PS1 RPG with mechs/religious overtones which I enjoyed. I liked the DVD but have never explored the series further. Is there a subtitled version on Netflix? I do not like dubbed anime at all.

Reading the news lately about the ex-Nissan CEO being wanted internationally for more shady business stuff... does this sort of thing happen in Japan often? It's kinda surprising to hear due my own (mis)perceptions about their play-by-the-rules culture.

As in all places, the rules only exist for those not making the rules. Nisson's CEO skipped bail and fled the country for financial crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

WITCHCRAFT posted:

I remember thinking it was SO COOL and SO CRAZY that there was a Little Caesar's inside the KMart when I was a kid. I only ever got to eat there once, despite badgering my mom every single time we shopped there. It was just the same Little Caesar's pizza you could get anywhere else, but it felt like the biggest treat in the world to get to eat that IN A KMART after shopping for school clothes.

As an adult, I was shopping at BJs and they had a no-name concession stand at the checkout with pizza and hotdogs. I remembered how loving excited I was over $2 of pizza as a kid, and let my son get pizza and we sat at the little "food court" area.

The next time we went, the "food court" area was closed "for renovations." It remained closed for almost a year and now it's just empty polished cement floor next to the shopping cart return. Nothing there. My son was devastated. And I understood entirely.

He should be devastated, you should be at Costco instead.