Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The restaurant I worked at had somebody go with the manager on deposit night and I assume it was partly for just that reason. The bank also had a camera on the night box so it was pretty obvious if anything went wrong. Of course we didn't get paid for the time as it was justbl like on your way home right?

Though there was another store where apparently the gm and a cook or something would skip a day or two on a weekend, buy cocaine with the deposit, cut it, distribute it, then make the deposit and keep the drug profit. I guess it took them a year to get caught.

That's high-level thinking right there. I really doubt many of the cooks and managers I worked with would have had the brains or the discipline to pull off a scheme like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

A budget clothing chain went out of business here in Switzerland and got bought out by an Italian budget clothing chain. They took like 2 months doing up the big 4 story store near me and it closed almost exatcly a year later. The stated reason was 'we underestimated the rent.'

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Dollar store isn't actually cheaper, you just get smaller packages. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jun/28/dollar-store-ripping-people-off-poverty-inequality

quote:

The bags of flour at a Dollar Store just south of San Francisco cost only $1, but they also only weigh two pounds. Most bags in the supermarket are five pounds, and can be scored for less than $2.50 at cavernous retailers like Walmart or Costco – though these require time and, often, a car to access.

Dollar store raisins are only 4.5 ounces. At a big box store, however, 72 ounces of raisins cost $10.50 – meaning dollar store customers are paying 52% more.

Cartons of milk at a dollar store are only 16 ounces – which prorates to $8 per gallon, more than what you would pay for even top-of-the line milk at Whole Foods.

It is a real problem for people with cash flow/transport/storage issues that these smaller sizes can be necessary, but raising the cost by volume on poor people doesn't help anyone stop being poor.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

rndmnmbr posted:

I'm not familiar with the urban food desert phenomenon, but here's a big reason behind the rural one. My former home was a county of just over 2000 km2 with a population just under 1400 people, for an average density of 1.4 persons per km2. This was in 2010, the population has shrank since then. Per capita income was just over $13k, which is very low. 27% of the population was under the poverty line. The grocery store closed in 2012, and almost no one was able to secure financing to reopen it. The one person who did declined after no bank would provide check cashing services - this is a big deal, since most of the population would have to travel 35 miles to cash their payroll check, and would purchase groceries at the Walmart there instead of at home.

The entire 2k km2 county is currently served by one Family Dollar, three convenience stores, and two restaurants, both of which close at 2 pm.

Counting down the posts until someone says "durrr... just move"

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

With any luck whatever bailout they get from SoftBank wipes out the founder's share. Maybe they can hire DMC from Run-DMC to follow him around singing 'It's Tricky'.

I'd pitch in to a gofundme for that

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

there wolf posted:

It's just another thing that would be better if it were implemented as a public utility instead of a private one. If they were an extension of public transport and you could get them with your regular rail pass and pick them up/drop them off at stations and major bus stops it'd be pretty useful. Right now it's a gamble on whether you'll find one nearby that you have the ap for, that isn't broken, that has a charge.

buddhist nudist posted:

I agree it would be *better* as a thoughtfully implemented utility or public service, I have a hard time believing in the goodness of my fellow man enough to trust very limited public resources in short range transport by vehicles that are (1) light enough for a toddler to carry off and (2) don't belong to anybody in particular who would care enough to protest them being thrown in the back of a truck or river

We have this (with bikes and e-bikes) in a few cities in Switzerland and it's pretty great. The company is a subsidiary of the national bus service. I can just wave my rail pass over the rear wheel while I push a button and then the O-lock through the wheel releases and I'm off. All I have to do is put it in a designated area and close the lock and I'm checked out. I can lock it outside a designated area if I want to keep the timer running while I pop into a shop or something and then unlock and keep riding after. My subscription is $60/year for unlimited 30-minute rides on normal push bikes, and I can check out up to 5 bikes at a time so my friends can ride too. You can keep the bike longer but you pay by the minute after that, e-bikes are $3.50 per 30 minutes unless you pay a lot more for your subscription.

There are a couple private companies that are still trying to do their thing in Zurich, the kind where you can just leave the bike anywhere and then someone else can use it but anytime I see one it's trashed, on the ground, busted spokes, etc. Whereas I've been using Publibike for 3 years now and I've only had one time where we got e-bikes with dead batteries (it was summer and EVERYONE was using them all day) and a couple of times where a bike was really hosed up.

The return zones are just areas marked with a sign and some paint on the ground, you don't have to lock them to anything which can be a rpoblem sometimes with bike share when you go to the train station and all the docking stations are full. The company uses some sort of analysis to move bikes in vans from full to empty stations a couple of times a day so the fleet is regularly checked and supply is managed to try and match demand. We have more than 100 stations in Bern (a city of 130k) and I see people on them all the time. Plus my subscription is good in the rest of the country too so I can get a bike in lots of places, not just around home. I love them :)

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

Every company needs support staff even on days when the stores are closed. I'm sure there are people at work in the Chick-Fil-A HQ on Sundays.

Their customer-facing staff is off on Sunday and they don't waver on that. Chick-Fil-A spent millions to get a location in the new Falcons arena and it's closed for every Falcons game. They even refused to open for the Superbowl. :shrug:

No they don't, there's plenty of countries where the vast majority of businesses close at least one day a week and basically the whole country takes the day off. It's just this protestant worship of busy-ness and work combined with an unending demand for CONVENIENCE!!!! that makes people say poo poo like "we can never be closed for even one day a week".

Like here, in Switzerland, you need a special exemption to be open on Sundays. These are granted to bakeries (who will be open from 7-10am), public transport, and shops inside the train stations. Everything else is closed and everyone else gets the day off. People who work Sundays get their 2 days off another time.

And who the gently caress is working at Chick-Fil-A HQ on a Sunday? Come on

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

there wolf posted:

Blue laws, rules about not opening non-essential businesses on Sunday, got taken down by Jewish people and Seventh Day advocates, and everyone else that didn't keep Sunday as the Sabbath and didn't want to lose a day of income over someone else's faith. It's far better to guarantee employees a six or five day work week so they can get a day off at any point to serve any purpose.

Yeah that does suck for people whose day of rest isn't on Sunday or who don't observe a day of rest at all, but legislating one day of shop closures and limiting evening shopping to one day a week addresses a major competitive disadvantage that shopkeepers and boutique owners face. Big stores and international chains can stay open all the time, while giving their employees two days off a week, while independent operators need to close to take their days off or spend time with their families. It's a big deal when people can close their shop to go eat dinner at home or spend a day with their kids and know that the mall is closed too.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The only failure is not failing fast enough

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

I’d pay $10/month for SA

I do

https://www.patreon.com/GamingGarbage/posts

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

there wolf posted:

It insures a revenue stream independent of any good of service so the company can offer better discounts or spend a little more on higher quality goods which makes people feel like they're getting a deal. Which you can do at Costco pretty easily if you shop there regularly, but it stands to reason a lot of people never get their membership's worth and that benefits Costco a lot. Costco was great when I was buying diapers and doing meal prep for three adults. It's useless now so I didn't bother to renew last time round.

shoulda bought more fiber

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

AceOfFlames posted:

I'm guessing "subversive" brand Twitter, like that one time SunnyD got clinical depression and it spiralled from there:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/pangw8/brand-twitter-is-absurd-and-it-will-only-get-worse

EDIT: No wait, it's lamer:

https://twitter.com/MrPeanut/status/1220030475131150336

We're doing trailers for ads now, people. :capitalism:

meh skittles did the ad teasers thing already and it was way cringier

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

I had to look up what the gently caress Quibi was and it looks terrible. Oh how Meg has fallen.

So many people in entertainment are going to be jobless when these companies realize there's no money in being the 11th most popular streaming service. There's no money in being the 2nd most popular streaming service. Amazon Prime is just Bezos' ego manifest.

People in the biz always have to hustle, there's an argument that all of these video services popping up everywhere are at least good for them in the short term.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

They're still around and still going strong. Zia too.

this makes me happy, I was buying used CDs from them almost 30 years ago

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Randaconda posted:

The KFC in Scotland did not sell biscuits.

At a fried chicken joint, no biscuits.

i was pretty shook, tbh

I'm still traumatized after what happened the first time I ordered chips and salsa in Ireland

greazeball has a new favorite as of 21:40 on May 14, 2020

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

It was 17% on top of the losses from March

It still doesn't make sense though:

quote:

Here's how spending drops affected different parts of retail in April, compared to a month earlier:
Online (nonstore) retailers: +8.4%
Grocery stores: -13.2%
Pharmacies and other health/personal care stores: -15.2%
Big-box (general merchandise) stores: -20.8%
Gas stations: -28.8%
Department stores: -28.9%
Restaurants and bars: -29.5%
Sports, music and other hobby stores: -38%
Furniture stores: -58.7%
Clothing and accessories stores: -78.8%

I guess we don't know the volume of the different sectors (retail sales includes spending on gasoline, cars, food and drink, according to the article), but visually these numbers don't average out anywhere near -17%. Maybe there's some other giant sector that's up 40% somewhere?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I dream of someday owning a Tob-260N which will do everything short of sucking your dad's dick and even that only costs $250

Well Father's Day is coming up... how much for the Premium version?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

After 47 years, in Phoenix AZ, the mall Metrocenter is closing for good. I think they gutted every anchor store years ago, and Walmart put in a large store where Macy's used to be, but even that couldn't save it.

drat. 20 years ago I remember going there after school or on weekends and there was no parking, the food court was crammed, no store didn't have customers crammed inside. 15 years, less. 2008 started the death bell.

Man... I used to love their arcade back in the 80s and 90s once they covered up the ice rink and just filled the place with games. And I always liked that Bill and Ted had been there. I've watched it empty out over time (I only go back to PHX every 3 years or so these days) and it's been pretty depressing to watch.

Any idea what's going to happen to all that space? All those roads built around it, all the other strip malls around it, Castles and Coasters...

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Just going home at Christmas (I live overseas now), my stress levels get sky-high almost instantly. I don't know what does it in particular but goddamn I turn into super-stress aggro man the second I step out the door. The ads, the music, the flashing lights, the traffic, the extra-aggressive drivers in every parking lot and left-turn lane... ugh

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

Hell, that sounds better than anything on Quibi

It might already be on there! We'll never know though

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

AceOfFlames posted:

Most men’s clothing still assumes you are at least 175 cm tall though. I also see a lot of men’s jeans brands with a single length and various waist sizes. It’s not like I have the time to have it all tailored.

Clothes shopping in Europe is at least 10 times more difficult than in the states. I basically don't buy clothes except when I'm visiting friends or family there.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I feel like they're missing an opportunity to make this more fun and interesting. What if everyone got a letter and your glitter bomb is gold if you keep your job and red if you're being laid off?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Straight White Shark posted:

Is there even any profit in operating them like this? Seems like they could probably make the money last longer if they just kept the vast majority of them shuttered.

You're probably right except they're worried people will find somehting else to do than go to the movies and then they'll still be doing that when they open back up

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

You have no idea how many times I've seen people just strolling around without masks drinking Starbucks, or talking on phones. Not to mention the number of people who just take their masks off to cough and/or sneeze :suicide:

I saw an adult sucking on a lollipop on the bus the other day. When she got off, she put it back in the wrapper and put it in her purse. Because you don't have to wear a mask if you're eating, of course.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Watch this space! Roman Abramovich, billionaire owner of Chelsea Football Club in London, has been sanctioned by the UK government's Oligarch Taskforce. He is no longer allowed to sell any of his assets including the football club. He was shopping it around at £4 billion last week. Now:

https://twitter.com/SamWallaceTel/status/1501858637198897152

This doesn't seem to allow buying or selling of players or signing new contracts so they are most likely hosed.

edit: lol, LMAO

https://twitter.com/henrywinter/status/1501862862146482177

https://twitter.com/HugoScheckter/status/1501863746657992704

greazeball has a new favorite as of 11:34 on Mar 10, 2022

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I'm gonna fire half the staff on Friday and then demand everyone else work through the weekend so we can launch a completely undefined product to our 300 million users on Monday. Nobody else would do this because they're not as smart as me.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

At this point, it's a race to see how Twitter ends. By users abandoning the platform or by a Twitter-ending bug caused by cuts to staff and infrastructure.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Obviously mileage varies on personal stuff, but if I worked at Twitter I would be hoping to be on the layoff team, take whatever the buyout is, and get off the crazy train.

I guess that’s assuming they give a payout package , but wtf company that large wouldn’t do a payout package with layoffs ?

Everyone just got all their stock bought out, so most of them should have a windfall already to ease the transition to a new job or manage the holdout during the class action.

Usually this firing everyone and telling them to get hosed routine only works because the victims have to get a job yesterday or they lose their house. But big brains over here just wrote everyone a check last week.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Ariong posted:

God I hope that this gets to the point that a bunch of big guys bust in and start carrying out furniture while Elon is still physically there.

My wife worked at a place where creditors sent a representative in to do an audit of everything saleable in the office at one point: desks, chairs, computers, phones, plants, wall art, coffee makers, etc. The boss said it was no big deal, and they only missed paychecks like two more times after that (before she quit).

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

man I hate it when my deposition is on a day I'm giving testimony in a completely different trial against me

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Platystemon posted:

How have they hosed up a business model of “here are a bunch of recurring transactions, and we take a solid chunk off the top of all of them”?

Their business model is blowing smoke up VC asses and praying they get bought out by Google or Facebook otherwise they have to do an IPO and actually run the company for the long term

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My gf used to be a scheduler for pharmacists until one day they demanded she drive almost three hours to the area office for a meeting, on a day she had requested off months ago so we could take her cockatoo to a vet three hours in the opposite direction. She said no and that that day would be her two weeks and they told her no, turn your WFH stuff in at the nearest store.

It really shows how hosed up these scheduling systems are when the people who use them can't even manage to get their own days off. Is there any reason why giving people fixed schedules is just not done anymore? My sister has been a pharmacist and pharmacy manager for years for three of the major chains and they all make their schedules the same way the coked out 20-year-old did it when I worked at McDonald's. Is there some kind of metric that somehow justifies the extra control and suffering they can inflict?