Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

wayne curr posted:

What in the actual gently caress Texas?

Half of this loving city is just highways and parking lots :catstare:

Texas should be converted into a national septic tank. At least it would be useful then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

The TRU we used to go to moved to the other side of the freeway, got bigger, and added a whole Babies R Us attached to it :eyepop:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Goober Peas posted:

Hooboy, Wal-Mart chat. I hate Wal-Mart, and you guys caught me on the night I tried to go to Wal-Mart for the first time in 3 years. I don't know how they stay in business - hateful customers and employees, empty shelves, 2 registers open and 20+ people in line. I don't know how people function in areas where Wal-Mart is their only local shopping choice. I might just choose to stave to death and resort to using junkmail as toilet paper.

Yeah, I went to Walmart a few weeks ago; our TV died and they happened to have a better price on one we wanted, and was actually in stock. Between being ignored when I got there to pick it up and then being treated like I was trying to shoplift a TV when I was leaving (accompanied by an employee pushing the TV on a cart)... gently caress that place, forever.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

I also need to go to my drat credit union for a change and get pre-approved before I start shopping for cars.

Did this in December with my new car, it was fantastic. Did all the paperwork online, went to the dealer after researching pricing and such, dumped the old car at CarMax.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

A lot of music programs are using piano as a sort of weed-out technique. "Oh, you want to play percussion? You need to have 2 years of piano under your belt first. Why not play... trumpet instead? No piano required!"

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Bean posted:

... what? Some programs like percussionists to study a little bit of piano to make them better marimba players, but it's not a weed out technique.

I know of at least a few elementary schools back home that require 2 years of piano if you want to play percussion. Not exactly something a 2nd grader is going to think about. It's really lovely.

Keep in mind these are small towns in southern Michigan.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Yawgmoth posted:

I think we can all agree that no matter what your region has in terms of USP/Fedex/USPS quality, DHL is far and away your worst option. Every single time they deliver something here, it's "repackaged" in a hideous frankenbox made of other boxes that were only ripped a couple times, about 15 yards of their lovely packing tape, and last week's coupon section. And no matter what they'll try to just drop it and run, even if you specify "signature required".

Holy poo poo yes. The store I used to order scrubs from used DHL for shipping, and those mother fuckers must have been driving by and just tossing the packages at my house, because every one of them wound up in the middle of the front yard. Often in the middle of a puddle if it had rained recently.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

The Snoo posted:

nothing matters anyway

We are all circling the drain

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

GPTribefan posted:

the vast majority of people who get meds through mail order can’t stand it and only do so because they’re forced to.

Nope. The vast majority of the patients I see like mail order. They get a 90 day supply, it's slightly cheaper, and it comes to their front door. The only ones that don't like it are the ones who wait until they've got a 2 day supply left before requesting a refill.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Yeah, that would be annoying as hell.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Brookstone files for bankruptcy #2 in like 4 or 5 years.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/02/brookstone-files-for-bankruptcy-to-shutter-100-stores-in-malls.html

I'm surprised they lasted this long - I remember the stores were always busy, but I'll be damned if I can remember anybody actually buying anything.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Their statement is a delicious mix of butthurt, tears, and absolute lack of self-awareness.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I loop a rope around my neck to support me while sleep standing.

E: I actually do need a new mattress.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Hah, I went to the one in Houston years ago, even then it was basically just extra parking and a walk through to the rest of the mall.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

This would have hurt more if it happened in 2009.

This was Eddie's plan all along. He was sacrificing his money to save the workers and give them a better chance in the future.

Eddie knows all. He is the working man's savior.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm giggling my tits off at this, help

LOL

:same:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

My parents who are 60 and 64 don't know anyone other than Sears for large appliances. If their washer broke, for instance, and there was no Sears, I legitimately don't know what they'd do. People of a certain age and income.

Really? My mom and dad are retired and in their early 70s, and they're legit smart about that stuff.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Volcott posted:

Legalize gay plural marriage.

Followed by cheap and easily attainable divorces. Then I could finally be fr

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Dilb posted:

Most common medication actually lasts for decades, if it isn't a liquid.

Yep, only thing is after a loooong time it gets less effective. It doesn't suddenly morph into cyanide or something.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Garrand posted:

Flickr sounds like a lesbian dating app.

:eyepop:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Yeah, I feel terrible for all the mom and pop stores that are suffering, but gently caress these butthurt corporations that shaft their employees.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

They can suck the covid isolation gear sweat right off my balls

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Anybody who has another person print out their emails and fold them vertically should unhesitatingly be guillotined.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Came up before, but even well before corona, business attire stores were dying because basically no one buys a suit for over $100 or under $5000 any more.

I don't feel too bad about this, but I'll admit that, to me, there's nothing a man can wear that looks as sharp as a nicely tailored suit.

I am also "old and stupid" per my son.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Le singe est... disparu.

He was a cheeky monkey...

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

My parents used to go on cruises every couple of years. They enjoyed it. They're retired boomers, so... I've downgraded the nursing home they'll go to when it's time.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I think I posted this in a GBS thread, but my family has a pretty reasonable solution: public auction for everything. You want it, buy it. There are a very few things that any of us get outside that, and it's generally something small and personal - for example, I got my grandpa's coffee mug and the small thermometer/barometer that I used to goggle over as a kid. Everything else goes to public auction, nobody gets butthurt about who got what, etc.

My wife and I cleaned out all the bullshit we got from our wedding - crystal, dishware, all of it, donated it, and bought stuff we like better. If we still have it when we croak my son can take a bat to it if he wants, who cares. In retrospect all that formal poo poo is so stupid.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Moon Slayer posted:

I worked at a job where I could wear scrubs and I have no social life so I haven't bought new clothes in years.

Wearing scrubs is a not-insignificant reason I stay in nursing.

:same: on buying new clothes.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

To get money from the rich, we need one of these two things, or preferably both:

:guillotine:

and

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Volcott posted:

A guillotine or prestige television?

BigDave posted:

Summary executions and bad pacing?

I hate you both

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Segmentation Fox posted:

Likewise. I think I've been on Fi for like 5 years now? Sure the phone selection is a bit limited if you want all the features but it's not like they force you to get the super premium flagship phones.

Same, about 3 years for us since ditching lovely ATT. There have only been a couple of places with poor reception, and those are in rural Michigan. I'll hang on to Fi until they shut down or service gets crappy - for the price, the service has been great.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I have trouble comprehending a cruise featuring any particular artist as the reason for the cruise.

Is that, like, the death throes of an artist or what?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The Jonathan Coulton cruise attracts literal thousands of nerds every year

you are welcome to take this information as confirmation or refutation of your post, your choice

I mean, I'm fine with cruises (although I'll never go on one) but I just don't get the appeal of a cruise with Kenny Loggins or whoever as the main draw. Is that the last bastion before the artist starts playing county fairs and such? Just seems... Weird.

kumba posted:

my neighbor growing up that used to drive me to school used to have tab instead of coffee every morning

he is the only person i have ever seen drink it

I used to drink it up until the very early 80s. I am old.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I just don't get the reasoning behind that at all.
I bought a product, I can do what I want with it, including showing it to other people.

Drum Workshop wouldn't sue me for playing their drums on a youtube channel, and I sure as poo poo wouldn't pay them so I could.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Getting stabbed at that cereal restaurant in London would be absolutely mortifying. Like, tell people I died of anal warts or something instead.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Jesus christ, that's awful

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

Inside the all-hands meeting that led to a third of Basecamp employees quitting

I'm not quoting any of this because you really need to read the whole thing.

“I don’t accept that framing"

:lmao:

loving suck a tailpipe, bro

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

ReidRansom posted:

Peloton is still on the cheap end. I had a buddy recommend me one of these https://expresso.com/

e: But also yeah it's a cult or some poo poo and I'm all in

Tell me about this cult, a brief Google didn't get me anything

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

Maybe Pi-Hole would work for the AppleTV if you have a spare Pi Zero W? Haven't messed with an ATV in awhile, but we use Smart Youtube (plus our own Pi-Hole) on the Shield and it works perfectly.

I need to get a Pi-Hole kit. It's easy enough to block ads per device for the most part, but it'd be nice to just have something that plugs in and kills them all house-wide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

fartknocker posted:

My entire memory of Quiznos is based on these commercials

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuPTZWhz46M

I only remember the "Put it in me..." commercial