Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
it's cornhole in FL too

in TX they just call it bags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
At least in this part of FL (Gainesville) the one KMart near me is the exact same kind of dystopian shithole

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

PallasAthene posted:

Is Leonardo's by 13th & University still there and still awesome?

Yes and yes! Haven't been there in a while though since I'm on the west side (of 75 on Newberry) of town, but I'll usually drop in there or Bistro 1245 for lunch if I'm over there.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

vyst posted:

Copper Monkey is the best burger and I'll fight anyone that says otherwise

Nah. New Deal Cafe > *

PallasAthene posted:

Remember how the original Sonny's is there in Gville?

Best BBQ I've ever had.

I've tried to explain the old Sonny's commercials to non-Floridians. "There's two morbidly obese twins talking about how Sonny's is the only place they can get enough to eat, and they also like how it tastes."

There used to be a Sonny Tillman scholarship available to Gator football players.

Several co-workers of mine used to work there and would tell stories of "Mama" and her recipes

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
The movie 'The Big Short' is on Netflix and was a fun way to learn about all of this (re: the financial crisis/housing bubble)

I'm not an expert but it seemed at least reasonably accurate

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Drove past the local shithole Kmart this morning and it's still open with a surprising number of cars in the parking lot. Guess this one is surviving for now

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

whiteyfats posted:

The K-Mart closest to me, in Gainesville, FL, is loving terrible, and it's also in a pretty lovely location. Unless it's closed down by now, since I don't get on that side of town much.

I'm in Gainesville and this is the one I'm talking about :v:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

whiteyfats posted:

Gainesville has the Oaks Mall, which was used to be cool and good in the 80s and 90s, but the last time I was in there, it was nothing but poo poo aimed at (rich) college students and upper middle class white people.

I don't think the Oaks Mall is that bad (as far as malls go), there's nothing even remotely high end that I can think of in there

whiteyfats posted:

It used to be better, back when it still had Waldenbooks and B. Dalton. Used to have a movie theater and a big rear end fountain, too.

If you're talking about Gator Cinemas (the dollar theatre in the oaks plaza but not inside the mall itself) that closed last year due to some apparently awful infrastructure issues that would have cost too much to repair

PallasAthene posted:

Is the bigger Books-A-Million with the nice cafe still open across the street from Oaks Mall?

It is indeed. I've only been in there once or twice, last time was a few months ago and the wife and I were the only people in the store at like 630 on a weekday. It was a pretty sad looking place. Maybe two employees in the whole store.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah to be fair I was in there in June so the regulars during Fall/Spring semesters wouldn't have been around

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
where my parents live the local library is now in the mall or at least was last time i was there

there's also a dark indoor mini golf course with blacklights everywhere

malls are a strange place now

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I hate confrontation and being a supervisor in a call center for 10 months was one of the worst things I've ever had to do. So glad I don't have to be the boss anymore and can just hang out and crunch numbers while listening to music

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

canyoneer posted:

Bingo.

It's not competing with normal grocery store shopping and cooking. It's much more expensive than that.
It's competing with eating at a restaurant or ordering takeout every night. It's less expensive than that.

You gotta wonder about the longevity of their customer base. Given enough time I expect most of them will figure out "hey, I can look up a recipe online and chop this stuff myself and pay half as much"

That's pretty much what I used Blue Apron for. Their recipe cards are very, very high quality and tend to explain things in better detail than most recipes you find online and I end up using ingredients/techniques/preparations I wouldn't have thought much about otherwise. The wife and I got a few weeks of their boxes mostly for inspiration (and out of laziness, to be fair) and I've learned several things that I incorporate into my every day cooking that I wouldn't know to do without having ordered some stuff from them. I imagine a lot of people are in the same boat as me.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
vine definitely has some quality stuff, like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp8Em_h3jzo

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
My mother-in-law has been a teacher for 25 years and makes less than me, a guy who has been doing database nonsense for 2 years and is paid under market average for my position

My mother works as a teacher's aide, and has for my entire life of 30 years. She makes less than $10/hr.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Publix sells pure cranberry juice in their Greenwise section too for like $8-$9 for a big glass jar of it

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I thought Gallagher got replaced by his twin brother years ago

e^-1: apparently that got stopped in 2000 but was indeed happening for a while

quote:

In the early 1990s, Gallagher's younger brother Ron asked him for permission to perform shows using Gallagher's trademark Sledge-O-Matic routine. Gallagher granted his permission on the condition that Ron and his manager clarified in promotional materials that it was Ron Gallagher, not Leo Gallagher, who was performing. After several years, Ron began promoting his act as Gallagher Too or Gallagher Two. In some instances, Ron's act was promoted in a way that left unclear the fact that he was not the original Gallagher.[6][7]

Gallagher initially responded by requesting only that his brother not use the Sledge-O-Matic routine. Ron nonetheless continued to tour as Gallagher Too using the routine. In August 2000, Gallagher sued his brother for trademark violations and false advertising.[6] The courts ultimately sided with him, and an injunction was granted prohibiting Ron from performing any act that impersonated his brother in small clubs and venues. This injunction also prohibited Ron from intentionally bearing likeness to Leo.[7]

e: the poetry on Gallagher's website is amazing

Mr. Penguin
by gallagher | Jun 16, 2015 | Poetry | 0 Comments
This is an open letter..From the bottom of the globe ..Could you call me Mister Penguin .. Becuz I'm wearing my best clothes ..All my Penguin friends are also ..In their black and white tuxedoes ..We live where it's sooo cold ..Even in summer ..there's ice and snow...

kumba has a new favorite as of 15:02 on Mar 7, 2017

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
He is insinuating gay people can't tell the difference between a vagina and a butthole I think

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
The people that work at Guitar Center also in my experience tend to be pretty knowledgeable, so if you're going in not knowing poo poo about poo poo, they can make the experience less overwhelming

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I feel sorry for everyone who does not have Publix, poor souls

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I had no idea Family Christian Bookstores was a chain, I thought it was just a local place here closing

Good riddance

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I cook the vast majority of my meals for myself and I can still definitely enjoy a big mac

The people that pretend that when you eat a fry or a single bite of a fast food burger your mouth seizes from salt overload or your stomach immediately ulcerates is just lol

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
There was an A&W in the mall where I was a teenager and I definitely enjoyed the food there more than most fast food places

I was sad to see it go

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Mammal Sauce posted:

Good food gives me more gas than mcdonald's especially broccoli and cauliflower.

ditto

though I have to say if I eat too much Taco Bell then yeah that room is not gonna smell great

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
It tastes like disgusting

I normally find most fast food palatable but the mcrib is an exception

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Tim has a show?

not anymore

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
why are exercise and personal appointments included in the workweek, what kind of bourgeois poo poo is this

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

If you don't work in a hospital, that's sort of hosed. Do your priorities change that quickly? If I had to talk to all my developers every day -- hell, all my interns -- I would expect to be reprimanded.

Daily 15-minute standups seem to be pretty ubiquitous in the dev world with everyone and their mother adapting Agile/Scrum (for good reason)

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

ddiddles posted:

I managed a few people in a previous job and it was the worst loving thing in the world. I dunno how anyone does it for more than a few years before eating a bullet.

:same:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

jeffLebowski posted:

Yeah. Vinyl is actually quite big of late. It's sort of a pushback against the whole 'death of the album, all digital, all a la carte' mentality. It's not for everyone but there's definitely a sizable market out there for vinyl these days.

That being said, I'm still not sure how any big retailer expects to compete in that area. Anyone who's into vinyl (myself included) already buys from a local independent record store where they likely know the owner and are pretty loyal. No one is going to Best Buy to drop $25 on an LP.

The only thing I can think of is gifts. If you know someone is into vinyl but you aren't yourself, I could see someone going to a Best Buy if they don't know any better

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Good sales on pistachios too

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
It continues: Sears/Kmart is closing another 43 struggling stores.

http://wgntv.com/2017/07/07/sears-holdings-closing-another-43-stores-including-kmarts/

quote:

Kmart 104 Highway 31 North Athens AL
Kmart 635 Skyland Blvd Tuscaloosa AL
Kmart 3340 E Andy Devine Ave Kingman AZ
Kmart 2526 W Northern Avenue Phoenix AZ
Kmart 4325 Broadway Eureka CA
Kmart 7200 Arlington Avenue Riverside CA
Kmart 12412 U S 19 Hudson FL
Kmart 4717 South Florida Avenue Lakeland FL
Kmart 20505 South Dixie Hwy Miami FL
Kmart 8245 N Florida Ave Tampa FL
Kmart 2500 Airport Thruway Columbus GA
Kmart 1300 S Madison Avenue Douglas GA
Kmart W-201 Neider Road Coeur D’Alene ID
Kmart 2828 N Broadway Anderson IN
Kmart 2520 Nicholasville Road Lexington KY
Kmart 2760 Frederica Street Owensboro KY
Kmart 140 Whalon Street Fitchburg MA
Kmart 1277 Liberty Street Springfield MA
Kmart 801 N Lincoln Road Escanaba MI
Kmart 1290 N Monroe Street Monroe MI
Kmart 1515 W Bell Street Glendive MT
Kmart 1000 3Rd Street Nw Great Falls MT
Kmart 2975 E Sahara Blvd Las Vegas NV
Kmart 200 S Washington St Herkimer NY
Kmart 601 Woodman Dr Dayton OH
Kmart 12501 Rockside Rd Garfield Heights OH
Kmart 1801 W Alexis Road Toledo OH
Kmart 501 S E Washington Blvd Bartlesville OK
Kmart 2323-2327 N Harrison Shawnee OK
Kmart 4401 Buffalo Road Erie PA
Kmart 2011 Hoffmeyer Road Florence SC
Kmart 732 Old Hickory Blvd Jackson TN
Kmart 4670 S 900 East Salt Lake City UT
Kmart 3533 Franklin Road S W Roanoke VA
Kmart 2450 Foothill Blvd Rock Springs WY
Sears 1607 36Th Street Peru IL
Sears 757 E Lewis & Clark Pkwy Clarksville IN
Sears 154 28B W Hively Ave Elkhart IN
Sears 120 Us Highway 41 Schererville IN
Sears 2310 E Kansas Ave Garden City KS
Sears 6945 Us Route 322 Cranberry PA
Sears 3060 Clarksville Street Paris TX
Sears 7630 Pershing Blvd Kenosha WI

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Avocado toast is delicious

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Mammal Sauce posted:

And to think all it took my wife and I to never go back was their completely flavorless food.

Agreed, I've eaten burritos from Chipotle twice in my life and both times I wondered why I just paid like $8 for a tortilla filled with bland rice and barely anything else in it. At least 70% of the volume of my burrito was rice both times I went

gently caress Chipotle, Moe's superiority

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
The GWS pulled pork recipe is delicious and is a hit with my family every time I make it, and is also braindead easy

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Ofecks posted:

My local Popeyes is great and delicious and I love it. One of their main competitors (at least in the south), Bojangles, finally graced my town with their presence recently and holy poo poo is it bad. Really disappointing, because every other Bo I've been to has been excellent.

I like North Carolina BBQ and its "slaw". It's not the typical white stuff, it's more red and spicy with pepper and vinegar. Turned me off as a kid, but I love it now.

The real deal is attending a Pig Pickin, which I have done a couple times. Now that is some seriously good pork.

Sucks, the Bojangles that just opened here a few months ago is good

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
AYCE pizza is good because I can have a slice of a bunch of different kinds instead of a bunch of slices of one or two kinds

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Burt Sexual posted:

This is exactly why I hate buffets, grubby fat fingers all over my slices of pizza. Also, I've never heard of AYCE and evidently google doesn't know much about it either. First result takes you to
https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/zax-restaurant-moab?select=zw37H407sO3FtuU9tZpseg

AYCE = All You Can Eat

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
There is one (e: a Kmart) like 3 minutes from my house (Gainesville, FL) and I don't understand why anyone goes in there. I see cars in the parking lot constantly, but the few times I've actually walked in the store I get really depressed and leave after like 5 minutes. poo poo is sad. There's usually an entire back corner of the drat store with no lights on and nobody seems to give a gently caress

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Randaconda posted:

Meanwhile, Gainesville has like 3 Walmarts that are doing just fine.

And all 3 of them are Super Walmarts at that! But none of those are on this side of town, so I guess that's the draw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I remember Babbage's, they were all over the place around here. We had a mall that had both a Babbage's and an EB that both turned into Gamestop a few months apart