Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

The Dregs posted:

Chipotle finally made it out here a few years ago so I went to check it out. Triple the price and 1/3 the portions compared to my local hole in the wall Mexican place. Plus the food was bland as gently caress. I don't get it. Real Mexican restaurants and fake-Americanized Mexican restaurants are both better and cheaper than that shithole.

By saying the words "Fresh" 5 billion times Chipotle convinced fat and stupid people that they where healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Booblord Zagats posted:

My money is Ubisoft crashing and Rockstar having to cozy up to another brand like EA or Valve because of the massive amount of costs they endure in development cycles.

Also I hear rumor that EA and Microsoft have open offers to just buy CIG, the "company" "amking" the "videogame" Star Citizen when it burns out

But why? Microsoft already did that with Freelancer and it was okay at best. Looking at the Star Citizen Alpha that is out the game is barely running as it is (and will not really scale) and even then I'm not sure how much of the art assets really are worth.

CIG already got the sad sacks money.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

SquadronROE posted:

How is Best Buy actually doing? I continue to be surprised that they can actually attract customers.

Best Buy changed to be the place where you view and get high end tvs/sound systems along with appliances.

For people thst have some knowledge but want to physically see a high price item before buying.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Wamdoodle posted:

Time to build everything out of LEGO

The funny thing was LEGO was circling the drain until a new CEO came in and basically identified the problem and fix the whole company. There is a fun little documentary about it on Netflix.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Moridin920 hit all the major points but I love how at one point the CEO was talking to the interviewer (and I'm paraphrasing) "We are a toy company, why do I care how many shirts have been sold in Lego World?"

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

darkhand posted:

Yeah that's really weird someone took a company like Lego that literally no one hates and everyone loves and somehow not make a lot of money. And it took someone going "maybe let's just keep making toys" to turn a profit.

Because the (bad) CEO wanted to become the next Disney. Disney is a brand that hands their hands in EVERYTHING (movies/theme parks/cartoons/merch) and they make a poo poo ton of money off that. The difference is that Disney had a clear vision and has grown organically over the decades to get to the point where they are now while Lego went all in in a short amount of time. This caused them to loose sight of the core business model, expand and spend money way too quickly with little return, and in general just kind of flounder around.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I swear most of sports radio morning shows are just around because of draft kings ads.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

PallasAthene posted:

How did they get through the application, interview, and intake training without being able to read? It seems like a sharp HR person would notice every new hire signing their employment agreements with an "x."

Edit: By the time they got to working on the assembly line, they should have had all kinds of OSHA, EPA, sexual harassment, etc training for the boss to notice they couldn't read.

Two Words: Powerpoint slides. Endless PowerPoint slides and videos.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

poisonpill posted:

What the hell is with the SV obsession with dropouts?

"Oh, wow, she's so smart she DIDN'T go to Stanford, better give her a ton of cash"

Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg. Let's recapture the magic!

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

blunt posted:

Can't wait for Google to buy it, rebrand it, get bored in a year and shut it down.

They are going to hook twitter up to the Google Jigsaw anti-harassment AI and see which looses their minds first: the AI or the twitter hoards.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Jastiger posted:

Well wasn't Sears poised to be the Amazon of the 90's but balked at insurance and internet services, thus losing out on that explosive growth in the 2000s?

Basically yes. For people younger then 30 I can't described how big Sears was for being able to buy anything and everything through the mail with the yearly Sears Catalog since 1883. From the cheapest toy to a full on house everything was in the Sear Catalog and all it took was a check in the mail and waiting 4 to 6 weeks. Sears had the infrastructure, the payroll system, and instead focused on the physical instead of going digital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

FlamingLiberal posted:

I will always remember the period where my TRU did the paper slip thing where you had to pay for the game at the register and then go over to the Game Lockup where you handed the receipt and the paper to the clerk working that area. It was literally like a police lockup but for games.

Probably really helped kept shrinkage just down to employee theft. Back in like 1999 Toys R Us was the #2 retailer for video games software in the U.S. so there was a ton of volume going through that place.