Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

ultrafilter posted:

Inside the all-hands meeting that led to a third of Basecamp employees quitting

I'm not quoting any of this because you really need to read the whole thing.

Ending with

quote:

Another employee said they had been thrown by the fact that the founders, after years of telling employees that they were part of an elite chosen few who were good enough to work at Basecamp, would get rid of them so easily.

“They just want to build cool poo poo all day,” the employee said. “They don’t want to deal with people, which is something you have to do as a manager … Jason and David just threw us away.”

So much in here. Snowing the employees with how amazing they are until you have to get rid of them. Techbros just wanting to be about the technology. Not wanting to manage. Basecamp / 37Signals being one of those places that was all about breaking the rules and telling everyone else how amazing they were.

Extra layer is that DHH was one of the founding figures in Ruby on Rails, and even then there was this odd thing that he was technically mediocre, but held up as a visionary figure. Which may have played into RoR being so crazily uneven and putting so much stock in how revolutionary it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

I like the part where the founders have written 5 books on successfully managing employees. I mean, not their own employees.

Where do you find the time to manage when you’re busy writing books about managing.

Or like those CEOs who write books about their business strategy, when actually it's all down to survivorship bias

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Stexils posted:

the guy who wrote hollywood book "save the cat" about The Rules for screenplays only ever made two terrible films, neither of which you've ever heard of: stop! or my mom will shoot, and blank check

Read a thing this morning about that whole ecosystem of meta-content-creators: people who aren't actually successful at X but will coach you on how to become great at X. Scriptwriters, entrepreneurs, traders, songwriters ...

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Knormal posted:

There's no McDonald's in Iceland? That surprises me.

If my memory is correct, Iceland had laws that all meat must be sourced locally. McDonalds wouldn't adhere to that so they left.