Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
The last bookstore/dvd & video game rental place in my town of 80,000 (a Hastings, I don't know if the entire chain died or not) finally shut down a few months ago. Now you have no choice but Amazon or a drive to the Barnes & Noble an hour away if you want to buy a book that isn't a Christian romance novel (there's still a Christian bookstore)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I feel like there's a lot of qualitative difference between deciding you're going to be a rodeo bullrider and then having a bull do exactly what you chose to make the bull do on purpose, vs being a teenager taking a summer job at a theme park and then getting surprise-eaten by an orca?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

I refuse to use self checkouts and it angers me to see people using them when cashiers sit idle

my local Walmart is a "Family Market" so it's more like a grocery store than a real Walmart, and they just don't have cashiers. There are no cashiers sitting idle. There are four self-checkouts and eight lanes for cashiers, but what they actually do is have one cashier lane lit up as if it's open, and then the "cashier"'s actual job is apparently restocking the grocery aisles, because if you get there in between other customers you have to wait for the cashier to come check and notice you're there. If there's a long line of customers at the single open aisle, tough poo poo, they do not open another one because they already unemployed all possible cashiers. If there's consistenly a long line of customers at the single open aisle, tough poo poo, they cannot hire another cashier because the corporate office is in charge of available hours and the store isn't given enough. The store can't even theoretically prove it's busy enough to warrant spending more on cashiers, because it's basically capped its maximum earnings by capping its flowthrough rate by having one absent cashier and four self-checks. The "moral" thing to do, in all cases, would be to not shop at Walmart at all, but that's not actually feasible for a lot of people because folks aren't just going for the lowest prices out of being cheapskates, but because a huge percentage of Americans are already so poor that food insecurity has set in because it's hard to buy groceries when you don't make enough to cover rent. The problem isn't individual consumer behavior, it's capitalism as a system

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

financially racist posted:

this is new york's capital district in a nutshell. except while we did lose a couple malls (latham circle, clifton country and saratoga), there are still a LOT of malls in pretty close proximity and they are all doing well. it's weird.

Colonie Center seems to be dying, propped up by the Christmas Tree Shop. Crossgates is doing pretty well, though.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Raldikuk posted:

I've used those automated machines at walmart for at least a dozen set of keys and have never had a problem. The only thing I've been burned on is the first time it asked me if I want to do a 3 for deal and I thought I could choose a different key. But all 3 of those worked albeit 2 weren't useful.

Duplicators just trace the existing key, so if the key is worn down from use the duplicate will replicate that and may, therefore, not actually work in the lock (besides which it will wear down wicked fast since it's starting out half worn down already). A good keycut will involve reading the sequence of the key (or look it up in a code book, that's what car dealerships do, for instance, there's a code tied to the vin, but if you have some experience in cutting keys you can read the sequence with your eyes pretty reliably) and cutting a new one to the original specs. If your original key is in good shape the Wal-Mart one is fine

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Don Gato posted:

Fixed. I've worked food service for far too much of my life, and in both high end and low end restaurants it's loving rear end. The only upside was I got food occasionally.

Food assistance, as in assistance from the government to buy food. Not food service.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

YggiDee posted:

Back around 2007 LiveJournal decided that it would be a great idea to suspend around five hundred blogs and communities for objectional content. This included people interested in BDSM, fandom blogs, and book discussion blogs.
and LGBTQ content. don't forget it's illegal to be gay in Russia and being gay is inherently nsfw so don't let any gay people talk about being gay on their social media!!! tumblr is just as bad about flagging all gay content as inappropriate now, even if it's literally sfw, but the homophobic moderation was a big issue with the end of lj's heyday and painting it as just "bdsm and fandom" glosses over that in a lovely way

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Sprite is a citrus soda, so grape Sprite is just grape + lemon, which was also the secret of the famous 1980s/90s Kool-Aid flavor Purplesaurus Rex, which as we all know was the best Kool-Aid flavor of all time, therefore good job op

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

rndmnmbr posted:

But then there's very little in the middle ground between Horror Fright chinesium and $$$ professional tools class these days.
this isn't just true of tools, this is everything under late stage capitalism

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

bigfoot's

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Will it kill you or get you hosed up?
not tylenol. aspirin. if it smells like vinegar it's literally vinegar. aspirin breaks down into acetic acid. it will get you just as hosed up as drinking a tiny drop of vinegar should be expected to do.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Coal miners are manly men and regardless of the actual demographics of the service industry, the popular and especially the chud perception of retail work is that it is for children and women, gosh I wonder why the chuds care so much more about coal mining jobs than the destruction of retail work

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

"female presenting nipples" was literally the phrasing Tumblr used in their post listing things that they considered NSFW

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

value-brand cereal posted:

They very well might be continuing to try and do this, especially considering they changed the default site colors to eye straining, migraine inducing neons
Are you talking about a different site because like Tumblr is a white text box with black text upon it, on a dark blue field, like I'm looking at it right now

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Strategic Tea posted:

And the owners of noted for profit business Barnes and Noble are what, second against the wall? You people hate everyone

Do you think people genuinely only dislike predatory equity groups like that because those people genuinely feel a personal human affection for the companies being preyed upon or do you think that perhaps people might think that those predatory equity groups are just bad in principle

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

butt dickus posted:

It is beef, but it comes from the cow "gender" as opposed to steer, bull, heifer, etc. The real lie is saying "never frozen," because USDA considers 26° F not frozen.

Heifers are female

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Are you telling me that even salt-of-the-earth American farmers know that there are more than just two genders

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

In America the only responsibility of company has its to its shareholders so it's actually better and more responsible for them to just fire all their employees with no notice, since they don't owe any loyalty whatsoever to their employees and the employees cost their shareholders money by demanding things like wages

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Or maybe you could explain what is wrong about my statement? It’s difficult to have a reasonable debate I know.

I’m not putting most or even all of the blame on the employee but they do have a due diligence in most circumstances (barring shifty practices by the employer in which all of the blame would lie on the company).

hey just fyi i see this a lot but "i'm not putting most or even all of the blame on the employee" is a stupid loving sentence. "i'm not putting most of the blame on the employee! i'm not even putting ALL of it on them!" is stupid. it goes the other way around. you say "not [bigger thing], or even [smaller thing]".

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

If there's anybody else reading this thread who's about to chime in with it "hi I'm a cool dude and I don't care about trans people either" well bless your loving little heart now please take your finger guns and roll on out without posting your dipshit opinions

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

cash crab posted:

derails about trans people never end well, up to and including smoothbrains declaring that they are cool because they don't care and every other person dogpiling them after

stop it

This is actually a derail about transphobia, not a derail about trans people, which is phrasing which makes it sound as if it's the existence of trans people that is actually the problem in the thread. I think that's messed up and am willing to accept whatever probation you want to throw at me for pointing this out to you.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm sorry you feel that way because as a trans person I do feel like you're saying that trans existence in this thread is the true source of the problem because if we trans people just wouldn't exist in public then no transphobes would ever talk about us and you wouldn't have this problem. Later!

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

silence_kit posted:

Lol your persecution complex is showing. It’s pretty wild how you warped cash crabs post into being anti-trans.

i thought this conversation was over

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

The smell of trans fats.

excuse you, i smell better than that

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

just boil a huge pot of beans and rice once a month and eat LITERALLY NOTHING ELSE ALL MONTH -- poors can't afford to object to that, desiring anything more than the minimum necessary for survival or any form of novelty etc is immoral for a poor, know your place :rolleyes:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the most diverse place on earth is queens. next is brooklyn, I think. only in cities is actual coherent diversity and the possibility of not being racist a thing. the ancient native americans were great only inasmuch as they made great cities,
you're a loving racist, rear end in a top hat

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Lambert posted:

People living in tribes sounds like a high population density situation to me, not a great counter-argument.

..... what

how big do you think these tribes are and how small their territory

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Traces of Death was the series that had a lot of actual snuff and gore. I still can't believe I was allowed to rent that at like thirteen years old.

Faces not traces

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

drat, i stand corrected, i had only ever heard of the one!

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Silly Newbie posted:

On a related note, anyone know how Family Video is still alive and apparently thriving?

don't they rent Christian edits for small-town fundies

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

what was the place that rented Christian edits then? or was it a netflix clone

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Dannywilson posted:

Also add in what happened to WA when they legalized, poo poo started out at like $25/g because it was following black market pricing+tax, and is now less than $7/g because the market stabilized.

lol NY and Massachusetts are discussing legislating price minimums "to prevent availability leading to increased use" aka "to prevent any future loss of tax money" (e: the former is a legit concept but lol if i believe it's the government's true motivation)

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I mean a sin tax is one thing but this is "20% tax AND ALSO btw we're going to tell you how much to sell for so we can be sure that 20% is a big enough dollar amount"

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

vyst posted:

You are certainly a more effective ally than I am if you don't.
yeah "willing to voluntarily contribute financial support for conversion therapy because, you guys don't get it, the fries taste good and i prioritize that over gay rights" is in fact a really low level of allyship

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Here's a couple protips. Marinate some chicken in pickle juice and buy waffle cut fries to make at home. There you go, now you don't have to go to Chick-fil-A and you don't have to post about how you truly do support gay rights and you feel very bad about this but their food is just so good. Now you can make it yourself.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

like if you eat at chik fil a once in a while and you're posting desperately about it and arguing about how it's fine and good and you deserve absolution for it and poo poo -- why. if you don't actually care about whether the restaurant does a bad thing why are you trying to argue strangers on the internet into giving you a "still a good ally!" sticker to look at while you're at the chicken restaurant

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

SimplyCosmic posted:

Many big retailers are have paid for the majority of their employees to stay at home for a month.
cite? i don't know any retail workers who are getting extra PTO for this, just plenty who are sent home unpaid.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My favorite record store closed today, speaking of music and dying industries. It was kind of just a matter of time now that everything is digital and it’s in a stupid expensive town for storefronts (gotta love New Paltz) but it still stings. Just like what I was saying with video rental places, there’s something to zoning out and flipping through music idly to have you stumble on some great stuff.
There's still Spike's Record Rack in Catskill, although he's closed for Covid (he's been listing individual albums on Instagram and letting people buy 'em and come pick 'em up, though).

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

more like compostable income... getting paid poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Volcott posted:

I might intentionally be missing the forest for the trees here, but you can have additional notches added to a belt at a lot of cobblers/shoe repair places.

tbh if your pants are 6 inches too big for your waist cinching with a belt keeps them from falling but still leaves you with all the extra fabric bunched up at your waist like you're a clown wearing big booty clown pants with a pleat front from 1987, sadly. it's kind of demoralizing if you care at all about how you look