Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

naem posted:

She doesn't "do" things she's an executive

*writes on dry erase board for thirty seconds* synergize market capitalization with emerging trends

*play with camel toy for a few minutes*

*stares into lava lamp for 3 hours*

welp, time to go to lunch then call it a day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

How sustainable is that? It's a broad question, but it seems like this philosophy hurts workers, companies and the economy as a whole, albeit over differing timeframes.

People are pissed right now. They blame the Obama boogeyman/THE LIBERALS, mexicans/other illegal immigrants stealing jobs, the moral and social decay of our society but the fact is that the common person is getting squeezed more and more each year. Wages have been basically stagnant for twenty+ years and unemployment is what.. 6%? but that's only counting the people actively looking for employment being counted by the labor department.

We're entering or getting very close to the next recession and hopefully it's not anywhere close to 2008 but this has been one of the slowest economic recoveries in recent US history, another nose dive and mass panic, lay offs, commodity price jumps, and whatever else goes with it is not going to be great for national moral and long term economic health.

There are millions of millennials leaving school and entering the job market that are tens of thousands of dollars in debt that do not have great prospects of landing that 50k+ job they were promised their entire childhood if they went to college. Saw a statistic that something like 45% of Americans made less than 30k last year. The federal poverty line is like 19k, but when was that cut off was last evaluated?

You see all the mass shootings in the media that are getting more rampant every year, poo poo like what happened in Burns and it's easy to blame solely on lack of gun control but looking at other countries like Japan they have mass stabbings and knife violence that's off the charts. People aren't meant to be ground into the dirt with zero prospects day after day for near minimum wage while getting poo poo shoved into their mouth and being forced to smile and ask for more for the sake of corporate and shareholder profits.

This is a big dumb serious post on our favorite gay dying comedy forum and I don't believe it's far from the true answer but sadly we're going to keep getting hosed by the elite until this is absolutely not sustainable and tragic and drastic things happen.

tldr no and I'm an rear end hole for posting this thanks

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I'm the 16 different radio stations programmed into your car stereo all playing commercials at the same time, ama

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

early 2000 toyotas own bones. camry, avalon, carolla, tacoma, tundra all excellent vehicles and should get you to 300k before you need to do major maintenance, more so for the trucks, as long as you're doing the basic poo poo more or less within the time frame. You could buy a 2002 avalon, a spacious beast with good mpg for v6 for 6k with around 100k miles and drive it for the next fifteen years

that said my car is a 2004 hyundai sonata and I've had zero problems with it, but I'm waiting every day for when it fucks up and it's not worth shelling out the money for repairs because Holy hell it did not hold any value worth poo poo

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

dink n flickr

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Y-Hat posted:

one of those assets is the naming rights to the Denver Broncos' home stadium. i hear a weed dispensary is interested in buying them

please tell me this is true

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

PallasAthene posted:

A while later he was working at an Autozone or NAPA or something and said since they didn't give a poo poo about what trended, the store he worked at still hired folks who knew a lot about cars or tools, or were pure cashiers.

i was shocked when i called autozone asking for an a/c cleaner without a particular product in mind, dude was able to order it for next day and then the price was even cheaper than what you can find online. i went in and it was exactly what i needed and he even gave me some advice on how to use it.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

amazon same day delivery is going to absolutely destroy every big box store lol

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

ZombieJesus posted:

Lol that's gonna last about three minutes before the lawyers of the people being fired tear it to shreds and get a big compensation payout

or maybe not and we usher in the next step if efficient capitalism

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

My first job was night shift at a grocery store, our front register dude had a gimp arm and did meth all night. It was his mission to catch all shop lifters until he got fired after tackling one and holding up a wrench threatening to bash his brains in

Coincidently that chain of grocery stores just closed almost all their locations in my state and have been slowly dying since before I worked there ten years ago.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Fasdar posted:

Like for gently caress's sake could you imagine what would happen if all this idiot capital flying around actually went into useful and necessary things?

High speed trains? Nah, let's throw billions at apps that outsource picking up dog poo poo.

National smart grid? Nah, let's invest in a system that makes public services compete against one another!

Skills training for obsolete oil and gas and agricultural workers? Nah, how about another real estate bubble instead!

i can tell you that the literal worst people in society wouldn't get mega rich :)

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

PallasAthene posted:

Did they flat out fire you for making too much, cook up a reason, or just cut your hours until you had to find another job? It seems odd that a company can just say "We're getting rid of these people in exchange for cheaper labor" and not get in legal trouble or at the very least have to pay unemployment.

hi welcome to America

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

i'm going to shamefully admit that I went to a tech school, I have an incredibly easy job with insane benefits that i make an extremely livable wage on but i could have just as easily bought a fifty dollar book and studied from to pass the certification test instead of getting in school loan debt and spending a year learning nothing that the book couldn't have taught me

i tell myself that i have the job i wanted but it took 4 years of working entry level poo poo, and i had a huge willingness to learn while 80% of my "class" did not find a job related to what they learned and are stuck working retail poo poo etc on top of student loans.

one of my good friends is in 50k~ of debt from itt tech and barring a substantial wind fall or eating nothing but beans and rice for many years he'll literally never pay it off. he has a great job now that he loves, but he had to work up from entry level poo poo and it's nothing he couldn't have taught himself

what I'm getting at is I'm a huge retard and never do anything I do ever

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

actually rereading that it kind of owns because it took me 5 years to get a "real" job and i make more money than anyone i know with a bachelor's/masters and have less than a fraction of student loan debt lol

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

It's also an issue with ever expanding life spans. When men stopped dying of lung cancer or heart attacks at age 60, lifetime pensions became a whole lot more difficult to fund. Essentially it was never going to work long term, unless we started having a whole lot more kids to contribute to the pension funds.

you think heart attack rates are going to go down in the next 20 years? lol

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

More people survive heart attacks now. Yeah.

Surviving them yeah, but once you have a heart attack it's a pretty grim outlook for your health as a whole unless you make some drastic changes. Heart attack rates are going to increase

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

a part of me wants to get a super part time retail position along side my normal job so i can spend 12 hours a week telling customers to suck my drat balls and corporate to suck my dick, gently caress boys

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

how the gently caress people continue to shop at Walmart is beyond me. It is consistently the most miserable store, employee and customer alike every time I'm in one. Sure things are 'cheaper', but literally by cents since they don't end their prices in .99, they never have sales so while things are marginally cheaper you're not getting a good price AND the truly cheap poo poo is bottom of the barrel lowest quality Chinese loving plastic junk

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

The city council in the town I grew up in actively fights to keep Walmart from building a store there lol

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

4 loving Walmarts. My god

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Johnny Aztec posted:

It always amuses me when people look at how things are for them local, and think it applies to the whole goddamn country.

all of the podunk towns in my state that i've been to have had more than just The One Walmart to shop at, big national chains that are 20x better imo. if you live in midwest 5k person town with a Walmart as the only place to buy your apples your prospects in all parts of life arent looking so great and it's probably time to bail

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

walmart is the embodiment of real life corporate dystopian hell and god drat it i'm going to voice my opinion on a dying comedy forum about it whether you like it or not cuz this is AMERICA

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

i buy all my cock rings online, local mom and pop corner dildo store just can't compete with those price points

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

They identified that they were expanding too much into areas they didn't belong in (clothing, theme parks, etc.) and nixed a bunch of that. The LEGO parks are all run by a 3rd company now. They nixed a bunch of the larger pieces that were rarely used and expensive to mold and produce (costs millions to produce new molds for new bricks). Did a bunch of research into how kids play and stuff to develop their products/sets while using more standardized bricks to avoid those big specialized pieces.

They also were producing way too many sets at one point leading to tons of stock being left on shelves (iirc it was like 40% of LEGO stock was unsold after Christmas one year in early 2000s).

They also identified some markets (like adults) who would be eager to spend money on sets like this or this (that second one sold out at the local LEGO store here in SD in 2 hours when it hit shelves and the margin on it has to be real good imo). Also developed some lines geared towards girls which did really well.

Haven't seen the documentary and I'm sure there's other stuff, too. Cut costs and streamlined administration/inventory/etc. There's like a massive digital catalog of all bricks now for their internal development use whereas they didn't have that before.

Basically they got their poo poo together across the board.

all of this poo poo just seems like the most common sense, 101 basic poo poo of running any company ever and it blows my mind that people again and again are able to drive successful companies into the ground

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

Well, more veggies will just add more calories and I guess some small amount of fiber and vitamins.

:eyepop:
more calories
small amounts of fiber and vitamins
in vegetables

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

yes

the spinach alone would hit like 50% of your recommended daily on multiple nutrients and add 10 calories

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Xaris posted:

normal malls are failing for a lot of reasons, mostly big wage stagnation since the 70s/80s and income inequality, with stores that used to cater to mostly middle/lower class that can't even afford that anymore.

outdoor retail plazas are able to shake stigma of malls=run down garbage for poors, and often do have more higher-end poo poo like lush, anthropology, banana, with mix of other stuff like H&M/etc, and often at least passable restaurants instead of whatever garbage cinnamon bon/garbage pretzle stands that malls had. also they often have 2-5+ floors of apartments above so that gives them easy access to some amount customers at almost all time, and presents more of a communal outdoor area that's not quite as dreary and lovely to hang out and drink coffee/icecream/whatever outside. they're also often better located near downtown instead of buttfuck suburb nowhere.

are you a mall scientist drat

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

while we're on bank chat Ally is an amazing online bank with a good savings account and phenomenal customer service

i use them and my...credit union :smug:

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

mitztronic posted:

Realtalk: have you ever done any research prior to choose a doctor? Or do you just call up a rando doctor and get an appointment? Or maybe you have Kaiser (in which case I'd blame you for picking a plan that gives you zero control).

It's not hard to look up your area doctors online and pick one that is rated well. I see the best endocrinologist in the bay area, he's no more expensive than any other. When I moved here, I chose my PCP based on her education (UCD), specialty (sports injuries, as I was an active skydiver at the time), and ratings (on multiple sites). Do people really not do this? Is this not the norm? It's your life/body. You only get one.

People are extremely loving dumb. I'd see the same people bitch about their doctor every single time they'd come in and when I told them they're paying their doctor, pick a new one if they aren't working for you they would grumble something, and the next time I'd see them they'd be bitching about their doctor. People are really really dumb.

The Walgreens in my area now have a physicians assistant or a nurse practitioner on site for walk in urgent care. I thought that was really crazy but it's a great idea. Doctors arent necessary for most things people need medical care for and even in a hospital setting we're going to see a huge shift towards PAs and FNPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

The people like unironically think that any form of actual communism would really work? Like what possible evidence could give someone that idea?

If we keep doing what we're doing now it will for sure start working one day and everyone will be happy, housed, clothed and well fed. For sure. One day.