Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Well that explains it. Some lady smashed into my parked car recently and her insurance covered it, after I got it from the shop I got like 30 calls and emails begging me to take a customer satisfaction survey.

They annoyed me so much I never actually took the survey.

Sorry nice mechanic guy, I didn't realize. RIP.

Dude acted like I was Hitler after that, so I just segregated myself to Outside Lawn and Garden even though I was supposed to be working with him.

Worst part was that anything I might actually get a commission on (Fence installation was really it in OSLG) I had to go use his terminal at his desk to set it up, and 90% of the time he poached those commissions by having my OSLG cashiers call him whenever someone was at the special order fence desk and I hadn't noticed yet because I was power washing or watering or loading or something.

When I worked at CompUSA, there was a particularly obnoxious business sales guy who poached my "spiffs" all the time. After a while, I just stopped worrying about sales and told customers where the best deals were (*hint* NOT at CUSA!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

monster on a stick posted:

Last question, I promise: what are you supposed to do with the oyster crackers? There's no clam chowder there.

Oyster crackers go great with chili. Honest to god.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

dreezy posted:

this thread makes a giant sucking sound.

how do furniture and mattress stores still exist when they seem like they're literally always having a going out of business sale?

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-picku...ere-a-price-war

quote:

With pickup trucks, fleet sales are significant. From construction companies to public utilities to government, fleet trucks are always in demand. I'd guess that 40-50% of Ford's truck sales are to fleets, and that GM and Chrysler-Fiat likely approach that same percentage in a good year. Considering Ford is on track to sell more than 700k trucks this year, that's (probably) 300-350k fleet sales for Ford.

See Pickuptrucks.com for the latest sales figures.

Now the fleet sales themselves aren't that profitable. Depending on who the fleet buyer is and how many units they're buying, these sales are often barely profitable. However, each fleet truck sold is one more unit that can help cover the costs of the factory, the R&D, etc...each fleet sale lowers the cost for each retail unit.

But reduced costs due to high fleet volumes aren't the only reason that pickup truck sales are so profitable. Owner loyalty is also a significant factor in the profitability of the truck segment. 

Truck consumers often identify with a specific brand, and once you're a "Ford guy" or "Chevy gal," you're that way for the rest of your life. Polk released some data on this point here: Ford Earns Top Marks in Polk Automotive Loyalty Awards; Volkswagen Named Most Improvedand you can see that truck and SUV owners are second only to luxury car owners in terms of brand loyalty.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
My Saturn SC2 was the best car I ever owned. I managed to get one that did NOT leak oil like a sieve and I loved it. I think it was a 93 or 95 model and a lot of people asked me if it was new due to the styling and general condition. This was in the late-2000s, and people thought it was a new model.

anonumos has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Sep 16, 2016

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
So how about that Yahoo hack? Apparently, 2 years ago a foreign government broke in, took 500 million user logins, and Marissa Mayer only JUST noticed it. Didn't tell Verizon. Didn't tell anyone. Now it comes out and Verizon is probably pretty pissed right now.

Talk about buying a used mattress only to find bed-bugs...

https://www.cnet.com/news/yahoo-500-million-accounts-hacked-data-breach/

quote:

The hack, which took place in 2014, revealed names, email addresses, phone numbers, birth dates and, in some cases, security questions and answers, Yahoo said in a press release. Encrypted passwords, which are jumbled so only a person with the right passcode can read them, were also taken.

The internet pioneer, which is in the process of selling itself to Verizon, said it's "working closely" with law enforcement. It called the hackers a "state-sponsored actor," though it didn't identify a country behind the breach.

Verizon, which is paying $4.83 billion for Yahoo, said it was notified of the massive breach within the last two days. The telecommunications giant had "limited information and understanding of the impact," according to a statement.

"We will evaluate, as the investigation continues, through the lens of overall Verizon interests, including consumers, customers, shareholders and related communities," Verizon said.

Woops.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

canyoneer posted:

Their CEO boasts about how it's their right to only hire attractive people, bit he himself looks like the boss Orc from Lord of the Rings.

And their definition of "attractive people" excludes girls wearing hijabs, until they got dropkicked by SCOTUS

'Member when he said he didn't even want unattractive people wearing his clothes and most of the world said, "OK!" and stopped shopping at A&F?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
All of the baby stories are hilariously overpriced, so either the entire market is healthy or it's doomed. I'm thinking the first. Idiot parents are still idiots and all seem to panic about buying stupid overpriced bullshit that will claim any benefit to the baby. We had to resist that urge with our first baby and now we're buying everything but the crib and car seat cheap or used (do NOT buy a used car seat; used crib is somewhat ok).

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I bought some Gildan undershirts from Walmart months ago and they're poo poo. I am 100% sure Gildan will pump out a ton of low cost manure with the American Apparel label, made by the lowest paid employees on substandard machinery in the dankest factory they can find.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
There's a Rite Aid near my office that looks like a liquidation popup store. The Walgreens buyout seems to be going badly...

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/30/rite-aid-shares-plunge-after-walgreens-cuts-acquisition-price.html

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
The real problem was that banks would reorder transactions with the specious argument that larger transactions (which are probably rent or utilities) go through while smaller transactions bounce. The real result was that all of your transactions (including the big ones) would bounce and incur 30 overdraft penalties, instead of your earlier (smaller) transactions going through, bouncing one or two big ones, and incurring only 2 overdraft penalties.

They did it that way to deliberately charge more overdrafts than they could if they processed things chronologically. At least half of my negative balances in my college years were exacerbated or caused entirely by this reordering. If they had processed my transactions in order of when the merchant presented them, I would have been fine in those cases. In other cases, the overdraft fees would have been dramatically lower. Naturally, there were certainly cases when I was totally wrong and deserved to pay the fees, but the banks totally screwed me multiple times until I started earning enough to not dip that low.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Is Santander poo poo? I actually had to drop my local credit union cause it was a bit poo poo.

I dont know for sure about their retail banking but I had a car loan through them and it was OK. I seem to recall getting forgiveness for a few late payments and they kept my interest rate steady rather than jack it up on a whim.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Isn't Santander the first one uber was working with to set up all those insanely predatory weekly leases

They're heavily involved in sub-prime auto lending. apparently the Fed ordered them to shore up their compliance and oversight. They would probably be a sub-prime lender of choice for people getting into Uber that way.

Ah, here it is:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-uber-santandercons-deal-over-idUSKCN0PX2CB20150723

quote:

Uber, Santander partnership on car loans is over

A partnership between Uber Technologies and Banco Santander SA's (SAN.MC) U.S. auto loan unit is over, Uber told Reuters, removing one of the country's most prominent car lenders from a program trumpeted by the app-based ride service.

Uber launched a program in November 2013 to link prospective drivers who do not have a car with manufacturers and lenders, in the hopes it would boost the number of cars on the road for the app-based service.

The deal received widespread press attention at the time, and Uber said it hoped to finance 100,000 drivers.

Uber partnered with multiple lenders including Santander Consumer USA Holdings Inc (SC.N) and Exeter Finance, which is owned by private equity firm Blackstone Group LP (BX.N).

It could not be determined why Uber's deal with Santander ended.

"We are no longer working with Santander Consumer USA but continue to facilitate a variety of other vehicle financing options and auto manufacturer discounts for driver-partners," a spokesperson at Uber told Reuters on Wednesday.

Spokespeople at Santander and Exeter declined to comment.

Uber operates in 57 countries with an estimated value of more than $40 billion. It had a total of about 162,000 active U.S. drivers in December 2014, according to the company.

Santander Consumer, which is 59 percent owned by Banco Santander, said in November it received more than 900,000 loan applications per month from a variety of sources, including auto manufacturers, online services and over 17,000 dealers.

Uber has not disclosed how many drivers received financing from the Santander program or other lenders that struck deals with the ride-sharing company.

Uber's relationship with Santander was active as recently as February, according to a Santander web site preserved on an Internet search archive. The site said drivers could sign up for Uber and then lease a new car for as little as $17 per day. "At end of term, you can own the car for $1," it said.

As of Thursday, the site apologized to visitors and said "this program is currently unavailable," before directing customers to Santander Consumer's main web page.

Santander has been the target of criticism for its subprime auto loan business. The company disclosed a civil subpoena from the U.S. Department of Justice and other regulatory agencies for documents related to underwriting and securitization of such loans.

It is not clear whether the investigations were related to Uber's decision.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Solice Kirsk posted:

~$500 monthly car payment? And they're saying "as little as?"

When you break it down per day anything sounds doable.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
It's unlikely to be caused by fat fingering the number. It would fail the encryption check when using the code on the back of the card. Perhaps someone found the cut up card in your trash, since you don't keep the card on a safe place, it may have been your fault. Not that the banks aren't crooks, but come on...

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

ductonius posted:

And they ripped you/the driver off every single time.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/04/uber-said-to-use-sophisticated-software-to-defraud-drivers-passengers/

TL:DR - They were showing you a longer route, charging you on that, showing the driver a shorter route, paying him on that and then Uber pocketed the difference.
They do poo poo like this and still can't make money. Just, lol.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Pocket Billiards posted:

I find increasingly that if you put in the time to research well reviewed and value for money products you end up looking for brands/lines that big box stores don't stock.

This is it. Look online at any models you find in store and there are 3 better models, for the same price, shipped to your door.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Bonzo posted:

It's not just the site but all the backend stuff like linking it into the company's ERP and CRM systems. If you gently caress that up you end up like Target in Canada.

Contrary to popular belief, website design and maintenance isn't cheap. A company can easily spend $1 billion on infrastructure, payroll, office supplies, and a thousand other cost drivers, "just" to make a relatively simple website.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Black August posted:

Complex problem, simple solution

Murder

The

Rich

"A strange game. The only winning move is eat the rich."

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Saint Freak posted:

There's a strip mall near me that has a space that reads "CROSSFIT KRAV MAGA" and I keep thinking I need to peek in there one day and see if they just forgot an "&" or if I'm going to see the funniest self-defense class ever.

I haven't been to South Florida in a while. On the way down I95 in Fort Lauderdale we passed a place called CrossFit TrapHouse. I wonder how much life the Crossfit fad has left.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Straight White Shark posted:

It's shady, but he's not really quite as much of an evil mastermind as he's sometimes made out to be. He had to light a lot of money on fire to get into the position where he is now and a lot of his manipulations are just trying to dig himself out of a really bad investment. Things are going to have to go juuuuuust right for him to actually wind up with anything to show for 15+ years of loving around with dying retail giants.

http://fortune.com/2017/03/31/sears-eddie-lampert-net-worth-hedge-fund/

Eddie Lampert's hedge fund has lost about half of its value in 2016.

quote:

Sears, making up about a third of Lampert's portfolio, was a major contributor to the the hedge fund's shrink, but investors have also abandoned the fund recently, taking their money with them. By the end of 2016, Lampert's fund held a mere $653 million—a sizable decline of 94% from the $16.5 billion it once managed at Sears' peak in 2007, according to securities filings.

Lampert's turnaround plan for Sears has so far not only failed to bring the struggling retailer back to health, but it has also been a personal disaster for the investor's net worth. Lampert's fund held $3.8 billion when he became CEO at the beginning of 2013, but those assets have dropped 84% since then, a Fortune analysis found—even greater than Sears' 74% drop in the same period.

While its true he transferred the cherry Sears land holdings to a separate company owned by himself, I don't see how he's going to make back enough to come out on top of this ordeal.

This article tries to break down the things he did to protect or carve off value from Sears: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/03/22/sears-holdings-ceo-eddie-lampert/99487518/

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Lime Tonics posted:

Just announced: Applebee’s is closing up to 135 restaurants

In an August 10 news release, Applebee’s reported that comparable same-restaurant sales declined 6.2% for the second quarter of 2017, and they’re expected to range between negative 6% and negative 8% for fiscal 2017.

DineEquity Inc., the parent company of Applebee’s, described this as a “transitional year” for the chain.

http://clark.com/shopping-retail/food-restaurants/applebees-closing-restaurants/

People are realizing there are better food options out there.

Yeh, Applebee's and its ilk are terrible, terrible, terrible places to eat. Last time my wife and I went to Olive Garden, we joked the ENTIRE meal about how much salt was in it. Ever since we got married, my wife has cooked low salt meals, so I notice salt in things more now but Olive Garden was literally more salt than food.

Like, you ever see those videos about how much sugar is in a can of coke, and it's a pile half the size of the can, and you wonder how that much sugar can be put into a suspension without black magic...like that but with salt.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'd like to submit the company I work for - a lovely telecom called Windstream - for your review:

1. $1.9 billion in debt due by 2019-2020
2. An elimination of their (admittedly quite high) dividend last week, resulting in a 40% drop in the share price.
3. A few hundred layoffs in July, with lots of rumors today from a few management sources of another 1000 layoffs companywide that may begin today.
4. Recent questionable acquisitions (Earthlink).

I poo poo you not, about a week before the 350 layoffs were announced in July, the CEO posted a blog to our intranet home page about his recent summer vacation in the French Alps.

I found the problem (bold)...though you did qualify it correctly (italics).

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Windstream is a joke and a horrible company. They do no infastructure builds and run off legacy equipment in almost their entire area. Worst company for service and promise things it can't deliver.

Our area? Windstream bought out the local ten years ago, highest speed is 3 mbs and they have no plans to improve it. Spectrum? 50 mbs

I can't believe most of the US still measures bandwidth in mbs. Single or double digits no less. It's pathetic considering how much money we pay for it.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Iron Crowned posted:

I can't speak for Blue Apron, but I did Hello Fresh three times because I would put it on hold and forget to put it on hold again. They use a box with insulation and ice packs. The insulation varied between boxes as did the ice packs. My biggest complaint really was the sheer amount of packaging that was used, thankfully by the third box they had started cutting back on that

We tried Hello Fresh for a few weeks too, but didn't fall into the trap of holds vs. canceling. We liked it but in the end it was still too expensive. The food was good and the recipes really worked well together (their baked sweet potato sides were to die for and the meat was all good cuts). We just couldn't justify it like we can the subscription to Munchpak. That's our monthly treat to ourselves (and our son now that he's a toddler).

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

AvesPKS posted:

People don't want to admit to themselves how much prices have risen over that timeframe. Correspondingly, places compromise on quality instead of raising prices. At a place like 5 Guys, prices have risen drastically because quality has stayed the same. At a place like McDonald's, the Fish Filet has gotten ever so slightly smaller to accommodate the relative lack of price increase.

5 Guys have been shrinking their burgers for a while now...AND raising prices.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

So Cracked fired all those people, and one they decided to keep was that idiot fucker David Wong.

What's wrong with David Wong? I remember really enjoying "John Dies at the End" when it was posted in serial somewhere, then being ecstatic when the movie came out. I'll admit I don't really dig into the authors' and musicians' backgrounds on my own, so did he gently caress a famous idiot or something?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Maybe not. My brother is an unemployed mortician’s assistant and the industry is consolidating while at the same time getting pinched by cremation and the internet.

All these Baby Boomers are dying, but who is burying them? Those same loving millennials ruining all the other industries.

I think that gen x are the ones burying the boomers, and they aren't paying for ceremonies or actual burials. They're having Grandma cremated and putting her in a box on a shelf in the dining room.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Straight White Shark posted:

Gamestop will absolutely 100% take used games and sell them as new games "that they had to take out of the box for the empty display." I assume it's less about PRESERVING THE SANCTITY OF THE UNBOXING EXPERIENCE and more about not wanting to get scammed buying a potentially damaged used product.

Also being reassured that the extras remain yours.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
The XFL is gonna suck sooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Sports suck. Just bring back professional dueling.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

fritz posted:

The Wonder Years. Christmas Story.

Fuller House?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Sears outlived Toys R Us. Who would have guessed?

Never underestimate Bain.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

As Zil mentioned, iHeart Media is having some serious problems right now. As with all Bain Capital investments, they're under a significant debt load.

http://fortune.com/2018/03/15/iheart-media-bankruptcy-radio-chapter-11/

I thought Michaels would be struggling, but a search of Google News shows nothing bad.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Oh of course they own Symantec. Why couldn't they kill Symantec?

Have YOU ever tried to uninstall Symantec antivirus?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

"And God wept..."

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
It seems to me that all stages of life are getting delayed. There's a reason the Affordable Care Act recognized 26 year olds as dependants for health care. It wasn't political. It was pragmatic. Adolescence lasts longer. People start families later. They buy houses later. They retire later. Everything expected of an 18 year old happens after the college years. You used to babysit for neighbor's at 15, now nobody trusts you with kids until you're 20.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I'm surprised anyone still uses eBay. I don't know anyone in person who still does.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Beachcomber posted:

Does anyone else try to go to regular checkout when they can, or is it just me?

I suppose I'm just delaying thee inevitable.

Nope. But I'm an antisocial adult-diagnosed autistic.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Check out this hyuge failure:

https://www.pluralist.com/posts/130.../partners/44204

Missouri Nail Manufacturer Loses Half Its Business 2 Weeks After Trump's Steel Tariffs Kick In

The 500-employee company has laid off 60 temporary workers since the Trump administration's 25 percent tariff on steel imports took effect. Mid Continent could potentially slash another 200 jobs by the end of July and be out of business around Labor Day.

Mid Continent's Mexico-based parent company, Deacero, produces the steel Mid Continent uses to manufacturer its products in Poplar Bluff, Missouri. Deacero is being affected by the 25 percent tariff, even though its importing steel to its own company, spokesperson Elizabeth Heaton told Missourinet.

“There are only about 15 of these companies left and Mid Continent produces about 50 percent of the nails out of those 15. If you could imagine, if it were to go out of business and that is of course worse case scenario, we want to do everything that we can to make sure that does not happen, that would be a huge blow to that segment of the industry," said Heaton.

"It’s a big deal, not just for Missouri and for the economy there, but for the whole industry,” she added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I've ridden in my boss's Model S and it wasn't bad. It wasn't Prius level of plastic and the only thing that bothered me was that everything had to be done on the touch screen. The passenger seat was pretty comfy...and the radio was bumping. The ride was really nice, too, especially when the accelerator is mashed to the floor.

Everything I hear about the Model 3 is kinda meh.