Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

XYZ posted:

BlackBerry.

Yeah, RIM has left a bad taste in people's mouths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Groupon turning down a $6B buyout from google is the funniest thing, because Google realized "there is nothing Groupon is currently doing that we could not also do (and probably at least as well)"

I know a guy who worked at Circuit City during their downfall. Used to be that all the sales guys there made commission, and some of them made pretty good money (like $80-90k in the early 2000's, a lot of money for a retail job). All the hot seller guys were real product experts, and knew more about it than just reading the box.

Some genius decided that they should try to beat Best Buy at their own game, and switch to an hourly wage without commission. No worries, we'll convert everyone from their commission pay to a comparable hourly rate! But, hey, you top sales guys making $20/hr, we're just gonna lay you off because we want labor to cost more like $7/hr.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

How sustainable is that? It's a broad question, but it seems like this philosophy hurts workers, companies and the economy as a whole, albeit over differing timeframes.

I had an organizational behavior professor who used to say "in the long run, companies get the kind of employees they deserve". Probably true.

There's been some buzz in the US about having the SEC require only annual filings rather than quarterly. That means that companies should hopefully be focused on long term performance rather than hitting their quarterly guidance.

It's funny and sad when you look at studies that show companies performance compared to forecasts. They never have near misses, they either have big misses or they are right on or just over guidance, where you'd expect a normal distribution. That means there is likely some creativity in accounting to " manage" earnings

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ArbitraryC posted:

the 6300 is basically best performance for the cost, I'm not saying intel doesn't make stronger chips i'm just saying that if you're building an intel rig you're going to be spending more money. You can google it yourself I was just recently looking at parts and literally everyone from tech sites to private forums recommends you go with the 6300 950 combo right now for a 500 buck pc. People start recommending intel based builds when you hit 700 or so but that's 200 more dollars than you need to spend to run pretty much anything at max specs right now, about all you get is more future proofing. There is no mass online conspiracy to get you to buy bad parts it's just amd typically has better budget processors while intel typically has better high end ones.

There's strategic space in nearly every industry for "cheaper and worse", but it's still a bad idea to buy AMD stuff because compared to a cheap Pentium, they aren't much cheaper but are a lot worse.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Business Gorillas posted:

I've never understood people that do this. Sitting on your $700 machine is cool and good - a retard

Pockets on girl clothes are too small for big or regular sized phones

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I've been looking to get a used honda fit. Does honda suck now or something?

There's an Ask/Tell thread about car buying so go there. They'll tell you the Honda Fit is a great car though

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Harley has some parts that look right out of 90s GM. Also if they're being used in fleets for say police departments they're unreliable poo poo, but they're easier to find parts for/priced better most likely.

I know someone who was a motorcycle cop for a large California sheriff's department. As one of the more experienced officers, he was asked to be on the committee to provide input on what they should replace their fleet with. They had bids from Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, Harley Davidson, and BMW. I don't remember from his anecdote where the brand and models fell on the capabilities and usability spectrum, but selection fell to the cheapest three.
The second cheapest one was better in every single way than the other two. It was only like $50 more expensive than the cheaper one. Guess which one they bought?!

Harley needs to undergo a Renaissance like Cadillac did a few years ago. Cadillac was making boring grandpa cars and their user base of boring grandpas was literally dying off. Then the Escalade happened and now they have a few cars that people under 50 would actually want to own. Harley's current situation is probably pretty similar. Not really circling the drain, but in decline

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

JediTalentAgent posted:

I do sort of wonder if the rise of the cheap Chinese scooter and three-wheel cycles have affected the middle-age/older Harley crowd? Dumb thought, but bear with me:

You can go grab a scooter that's anywhere from $500-$2000, from 49cc-500cc, and it's a twist and go. You can buy them from several places, too, and not just Harley dealers. Compared to getting a full-on motorcycle, they're cheap enough for them to be considered almost disposable as a temp bike for a season or so to give you a little experience, a chance to figure out if you REALLY want to drop $10-30K on a 'real' bike, get a chance to figure out what you want in a bike, etc.

But say you go the scooter route: Maybe that gets rid of that itch. If you're only riding that $1500 scooter around 2 weeks a year, were you really going to ride that $15K Harley around any more?

Further, I see a lot of older people who are more interested in things like the Spyders, and I sort of get why: They might appear safer, they seem more stable, and maybe even a bit sportier and sleeker than a traditional Harley style bike which might be more appealing to a later Baby Boomer/Early Gen X crowd.

Doubtful. People don't buy a Harley because they want a motorcycle, they buy a Harley because they want a Harley. A devoted following isn't a bad thing for a brand, but when that group makes up a lot of your sales and that group isn't really growing, you have a problem.

And trikes have been a thing for the disabled crowd for a long time. Those trike conversions are like sitting on a couch. If you've had 4 hip surgeries, that sounds pretty appealing while still getting most of the motorcycle experience.

Scooters are lame. You can buy a really nice used metric cruiser for $3-4k, do most of the maintenance yourself, and sell it when you're done with it for not much less. Resale value on those sketchy Chinese scooters is low, and part of that is because there are sometimes no parts available for repair.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

JB50 posted:

I work in a warehouse and we hire temps that start at 10 bucks an hour. I skimmed through the article, did she ever say what company she was working for? Was amalgamated whatever the actual name?

I think it was a cutesy way to say "Amazon"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Cabela's/Bass Pro have their markets pretty well dialed in. They serve a very different segment than REI does.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

PassTheRemote posted:

One day shirt term profits will be outdated, right?

Never in the clothing industry

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

blugu64 posted:

Walmart grocery curbside pickup delivery seems cool since it's free/scheduled/and on the way home anyway. Haven't tried it out yet though.

I've used it. It's pretty cool. I work for a giant company with like 5,000 people working at our local office, and Wal Mart rolls out refrigerated trucks for grocery delivery to our parking lot 3 times a week.
Super convenient, order by 10 AM online and the guys load it in your car as you're leaving work.

On the other hand, my wife's mom tried the curbside pickup in a different city and it took like 30 minutes and they screwed everything up lol

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

Tap is where it's at. Smack your card against the reader, done.

Why is the US so slow to adopt technology? We've had Tap for like 4 years

I had it on my Chase visa, but they sent me a new card with it removed because nobody was actually using it

I used it once at Taco Bell and the girl working the counter called over her manager because she thought I had hacked the point of sale because she never saw my card

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

CubanMissile posted:

So do people just go into Kmart and shoplift like crazy? It seems like no one would try and stop you.

Gonna walk out with a handful of Warcraft II Battle Chests and a Rio mp3 player

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Someone who worked at Lowes told me that a common and effective technique was to go buy a mailbox (in a cardboard box) and just stuff the thing with expensive hand tools, drill bits, etc and reseal it. Buy your $25 mailbox with $400 worth of tools stuffed inside.

I think the effectiveness there is not that the employees didn't know, but that they didn't care.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Because if the tackler or tacklee are seriously injured, the store can be liable for creating that situation. Better to let some merchandise walk than risk a gazillion dollar settlement

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

At the department store I worked at in college, some of the old timer managers would tell a story about one of their colleagues who chased these two shoplifters out to the parking structure.
They had secret codes they'd announce over the PA system for the managers to report to a certain area to assist with shoplifters, and this one manager never used to go. She told me the story of the guy who chased the shoplifters out to the garage.

He got accidentally ran over and killed by the getaway car (driven by one of the shoplifter's girlfriends), over a $200 pair of sunglasses.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Awesome. There's a ratty gross old strip club in my hometown that is shaped like a pirate ship :yarr:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I know someone who works in "enrollment" at University of Phoenix (totally not a sales job!)

She told me that when the gainful employment rule came out from the government, they cut enrollment staff by over half. They also stopped running the 3AM TV ads, and most of the online banner ads because "although about half of our enrollments came from those sources, we have known for a long time that the sort of student that comes in that way is very, very unlikely to stick through and finish the program"

Good riddance. If I were King of the USA I would abolish all of those scammy companies

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

There's an adage among tradespeople, skilled labor isn't cheap and cheap labor isn't skilled.

Obsession with shareholders is so strange. 40 years ago, when The Company went public, some investors took a chance on them and provided the cash required that The Company needed to grow. Because The Company has been very successful, all those original investors were made very wealthy. They have probably divested and moved on.

Today we owe a duty to the banks, pensions, high frequency traders, and institutional investors to eke out an extra cent or two of earnings per share, every time.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

blugu64 posted:

I've had a Chic Flia try and give me a small cup since I ordered a medium with no ice.

But they do free refills there I don't understand??

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Mr. 47 posted:

Keep in mind that we live in a country that pays farmers not to grow crops in order to artificially inflate the price of food, and then turns around and gives food stamps to people who can't afford to eat... because the price of food is too high.

You're right we should leave it so that in years of good yields a bag of flour drops to $0.25 and half the farmers go bankrupt.
Then the next year it's up to $25 due to supply shocks and maybe a weather event.

This is a good idea to treat food the same way as products like motorcycles or tennis shoes.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

red19fire posted:

Yeah, I was an econ major in college for a while, and switched in 2009. I was actually up for an internship at morgan stanley in 2008, months before the collapse. But lost out to another econ student who had taken Macro 201, which I had scheduled for the summer. That internship was working under a trader who was trading this 'weird new instrument' called a derivative.

Whoever thought that derivatives were anything approaching "new" in 2008 is the biggest idiot in that story TBH

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Lowe's operated on the IMPACT system.

I Initiate Contact
M Make Assessment
P Provide Assistance
A Add on Sales
C Close the Sale
T Thank the Customer

When you got to "Make Assessment" our sales manager had us doing optical patdowns like Mac from It's Always Sunny and trying to analyze how much poo poo we could push off on people. "Are their clothes nice? Do they look agitated? Are they friendly?"

"Add on Sales" he told us to just start adding items to peoples carts for them because "If you do your job during I M P they will trust you more and be less likely to question you."

He was also like "Sure they can get a $0.99 light switch if they need a light switch, but you do not let that happen. Sell them the $34 dimmer combo switch kit, stress to them the importance of it's installation and tell them how affordable it would be to have it installed in their house by a contractor or vendor"

Never mind that every single customer would get angry at the "Initiate Contact" phase and yet the sales manager was out screaming at employees for not up selling enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFWeoxrhbE8

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

natetimm posted:

Solar companies must be nearing the end of their run because I get 3-4 calls a day from them on my cell phone and I rent a loving apartment.

Funny you mention that....

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-10/sunpower-guidance-bomb-leaves-crater-among-solar-companies

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

shadowvine118 posted:

Is there a list somewhere of the Macy's locations that are closing? There's three in the county I live in, one being in a mall two blocks from me, so I imagine atleast one of those will be closing.

Also, if Macy's goes under, how will that effect the Macy's Day Parade? Do people even give a poo poo about parades anymore?

When did Thanksgiving get renamed "Macy's Day"?
:sad:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

"Companies that are circling the drain"

Pages of discussion about the most successful retailer in human history

You know who else is going bust any day now? Apple! ExxonMobil!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Darth123123 posted:

wtf I click through to see a software development bachelors. Why pay this when you can just go to your real state school?

http://programinfo.itt-tech.edu/posi/cost.pdf

Cost

How much will this program cost me?*

Tuition and fees: $89,040

:lol: You can go in-state at UC Berkeley, the #1 public school for CS for $52k in tuition.
I'm guessing that those two schools are probably not competing for the same applicant pool

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Wamdoodle posted:

Are there any other pizza buffet chains that aren't local? I don't frequent pizza places as much as I used to.

Yeah, Feces Pizza as mentioned earlier. They're in 33 states (and they are disgusting)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Their socially aware client base will surely disapprove of hahahahahahahahaha

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

sears.txt

Sears was started in the 1890's as a mail order business to compete against local general stores (think of all those westerns with "General Store" on one of the buildings - they were Sears competition). The guys Sears worked on railroads, and he saw all the middlemen tacking on markup as products moved west in the distribution chain until they go to the stores.

So he started a catalog, the famous Sears catalog in 1893. It was 300 pages, and had everything. Now think about this for a second. In 1893, you had a mail order catalog that sold pretty much everything that was for sale in 1893 - machinery, bikes, toys, dry goods, etc. Does this sound like another business you know?

So every year the catalog comes out, and after a few decades it becomes an American institution. For much of the population, the Sears catalog includes a decent quality, low cost version of every mass market nonperishable consumer product in the United States that wasn't a car (they did sell those at one point very early on. They also sold mobile homes too, up to the 1940's).

You could pick anything from the catalog, mail in your order with a check, and in a few days/weeks you'd get it. If you didn't like it, for any reason, Sears had a "satisfaction guaranteed" policy that you could return it at anytime for a full refund.

Now pay attention, because here's where it gets good.

In 1931, Sears starts an insurance company - Allstate. It buys financial investment firm Dean Witter and real estate broker Coldwell Banker in 1981. In 1984 it starts a joint venture with IBM called Prodigy, an online computer service, sort of a prototype AOL. In 1985, Sears launches a new major credit card, the Discover card. For the next eight years, the only credit card you can use at Sears is Discover.

At this time, the early 80's Sears is the largest retailer in the U.S.

By 1993, the 100th anniversary of the Sears Catalog, Sears had built up considerable goodwill in the mind of consumers. They weren't the lowest price, but they had what you needed at good prices and the service was second to none. They had real estate, insurance, financial planning, and all at good prices with top customer service.

This is 1993. In quite possibly the greatest example of corporate shortsightedness, Sears shut down it's mail-order business in a cost cutting measure. It spins off Allstate that same year, and soon dumps Dean Witter and Coldwell Banker.

In 1993, Sears had the most extensive and sophisticated mail-order retail operation on the planet and they closed it.

Two years later, Amazon.com launched, and was soon selling everything that sears sold through it's catalog. By the late-90's Walmart's push of low-cost China imports killed Sears retailing. Online banking takes off. Credit card use surges as mail order and retail purchases are shifted online.

Sears had its own computer network in 1993. They had access to IBM, they should have understood the power of the internet. All they had to do was shift the catalog online instead of killing it off, promising in store returns and the same Sears satisfaction guaranteed. Discover could have been the credit card of choice for security and protection online. Dean Witter could have been what Schwab, E-Trade and Ameritrade became. Back in the mid-late 90s when many people were hesitant to use credit cards online, Sears could have been a familiar face online.

Sears could have used the Catalog to create searscatalog.com or wishbook.com and owned online retailing, owned amazon's business, owned online brokerage and banking, but they blew their chances to save a few bucks in 1993. They could have made huge profits in the early 2000s real estate boom by leveraging that success with their real estate arm (imagine if Amazon sold houses).

By my estimates, Sears could have spent about $200 million in 1994-1996 to develop and promote retailing and financial services online, and they'd be reaping billions.

Sears could still be a huge American company today, instead of a historical footnote.

The lesson - arrogance and lack of vision. I look forward to the day in a few years when we can look back at the RIAA as a similar case study in lethargy, greed, and arrogance.

The other fun part in Sears as Amazon history is that when USPS started doing affordable package delivery to EVERY address in the US, Sears and other catalog companies exploded in growth, fueled by cheap shipping. This was in 1913.

https://www.uspsoig.gov/sites/default/files/document-library-files/2015/rarc-wp-14-004_0.pdf
That's a fun read about how the monopolistic shipping companies got :owned: by the government, in the days before they had all the regulatory anti-monopoly tools.
They're still clobbering UPS and FedEx these days since they cut rates, because hey when you're rolling a truck to every address to deliver pizza coupons and realtor flyers 6 days a week anyway it doesn't cost that much more to put a few parcels on the truck at the same time.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

red19fire posted:

USPS has also been in the black every year, except years of depression, since its inception. The postal service turns a profit, even though Fedex & UPS piggyback their shipments onto USPS flights at cost (or possibly free) and USPS does last-mile delivery for Fedex & UPS free for addresses that would be too cost prohibitive, like rural addresses. Fedex and UPS would go bankrupt if they couldn't steal from the federal mail service :fsmug:

Politicians love to make fun of the USPS as a money hole and a wasteful government program, but what's closer to the truth is that for the longest time Congress ties their hands with setting rates and also defining the USPS pension plan by law. So they told them they're not allowed to influence their revenue, and also aren't allowed to make any changes to their largest discretionary liability (retirement).

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Speaking of Blockbuster, you guys might be interested in listening to this. When Blockbuster announced they were going under, this guy tried to prank call a Blockbuster store. He ended up being able to trick the guy into getting him onto the final conference call with Blockbuster. Lots of interesting stuff from corporate like "make sure you sell that PS3 with the TV attached for top dollar! And don't forget everything including the toilet brushes are for sale!"

Very interesting listen

https://youtu.be/1X-F_UBvshM

This is really great. Having been in a bunch of stuffy, hundred person conference calls it's refreshing to hear someone cause a ruckus.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

radiatinglines posted:

please tell us what other foods are beneath you

I don't even own a mayonnaise :smug:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Maybe these edu-businesses need a massive football program backed by a pedo-defending fan-base to make them legit?

The stadium where the Arizona Cardinals play is named the "University of Phoenix Stadium."

I refuse to call it by the sponsor's name, and to me it's just "the stadium where the Cardinals play".

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

an adult beverage posted:

And those salaries are covered by boosters, ticket sales, licensing, and merchandise. Tax money isn't used to pay big time program coaches.

Yeah I guess you're right, the "athletics fee" I paid in undergrad at a Pac 12 school must have been for something else

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/sports/wp/2015/11/23/running-up-the-bills/

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

Henry Ford: "Pay your workers enough so that they can afford to buy your poo poo"

When I worked retail they got around this by providing an employee discount.
I wonder what the employee discount is from an aircraft manufacturer

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

Anyway, I don't know what is funnier: contracts going from Republic hellscapes due to poo poo policies to Canada or poo poo politicians being prepared to kill business and jobs in order to maintain the narrative that Unions kill business and jobs

The people of the South have a long tradition of blaming all their problems on the union

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I used to drive a '94 Pathfinder, which I liked a lot and took on many trails.

My in-laws drive a 2015 Pathfinder and it's literally a giant Altima :lol:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Ryoshi posted:

This man has never been to a renaissance fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Bonzo posted:

The mall in the richer part of town had (by the mid 90s) both Warner Bros and Disney stores

Warner Brothers Stores. A chain of stores devoted to a cast of cartoon characters that were last culturally relevant in the 1960's that enjoyed a recent, short-lived surge in popularity
The 90's were weird, man.

Roylicious posted:

Yeah isn't it so weird how people are annoyed at other folks who drive massive utility vehicles whose utility is entirely unused while said utility vehicle drivers also drive like entitled maniacs?

Totally understandable.
*commutes to work in heavy traffic driving a 400 horsepower sports car*