Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

dreezy posted:

macrumors.com or whatever. allegedly they're gonna use their poo poo rear end proprietary lighting port and bluetooth because gently caress everyone who owns the 1/8" jack headphones that have existed from the dawn of time.

Traditional ports are too big. Like your mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

Facebook I hope

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

Holy poo poo Firefox is on iOS now. I live under a large rock.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

Snuffman posted:

Yeah, but you're still using webkit so its just Safari with a different coat of paint.

Personally, I find with iCloud on PC finally supporting bookmark syncing with Firefox there's no real reason to use anything other than Safari on iOS. Session continuity I suppose?

In other Firefox news, they make their own ad blocker for iOS now but in my experience its not as good as Purify.

We really should take this "software situation update chat" elsewhere.

apologies

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

thathonkey posted:

One time when i worked at a restaurant my boss asked me to write a negative review of their competition on yelp.

And?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

drunk asian neighbor posted:

but enough about this thread

our your mom

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

PassTheRemote posted:

I worked once at Sears for the summer. I had a ton of supervisors, who all had different tasks for me to complete during the day. Think the retail version of that one scene from Office Space. I was in the Home department, which covered curtains, to bedding to bath to small appliances. There was only me on that department for a while (previous guy was sick with cancer, so they probably fired him so he could spend more time with his cancer). The back room was a mess, so I hid there most of my shift trying to keep that organized. It was probably the worst job I’ve had, labor was razor thin, and that was the time when Kmart bought them out. It was a poo poo show from the top down.

I worked for Circuit City in the summer of 2008, and you could tell then it was dying. I was hired to do the Firedog stuff (their equivalent of Geek Squad), but they had me working PC sales instead. Anyway, the management was pushing for computers to be sold with protection plans and accessories since guess what; they lost money on each laptop sold. Just seeing $30 USB cables made me mad, and I cannot remember, but I think some of the printers they sold did not come with USB cables in the box. Anyway, during my short time there corporate tried to calm fears by saying they had $1 Billion in liquid assets. My coworkers investigated and found that was not true, it was $1 Billion credit line. I'm so glad I left when I did.

Recently, I was working at HP. For those who don't know, in 2007-2008, HP bought EDS, Ross Perot's old company. They bought it to get into the federal contractor game. Funny thing, instead of keeping the management and calling it “EDS, an HP company”, they absorb EDS into HP, rename the division HP Enterprise Services, use HP's style of management. Where I worked I saw contract after Contract leave HP, few contracts came in.
In November 2015, HP split into two companies, HP Inc. (their hardware division) and Hewlett-Packard Enterprise. HP Inc. keeps the HP ticker, the logo, and once HP Enterprise dies, it will just go back to HP like nothing happened. It’s obvious that HP wanted to send the contract stuff on its own so it does not take the rest of the company with it.
Here’s Hewlett-Packard Enterprise’s logo:

Someone paid a company money to design that.

I seem to be working for winning companies…

Seems like the common thread here is...

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

Lol Sears

Sears Holdings Corp., the department-store operator run by hedge fund manager Edward Lampert, posted a $580 million fourth-quarter net loss as sales continued to slide. The company also named Bruce Berkowitz, its second-biggest shareholder, to the board.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...etailer-shrinks

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

Crazy Ted posted:

Just a few years ago, shopping for pretty much anything in-store felt like torture because the employees were either actively avoiding you or running up to you trying to sell you poo poo weren't looking for. Now you can shop there and if you're looking to buy any notable item (tablets, TV's, appliances, etc), it's relatively easy and the people there will actually engage in an on-topic conversation about what you want.

It's also nice that now they only ask you one time if you want a Protection Plan. Say no, and they don't spend five minutes trying to persuade you like they used to. I used to go to Best Buy as a last resort but it's improved quite a bit.

Eh I've bought things there in a rush, but have you ever had an informed clerk tell you about ...anything?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

I like NPr on the radio. But their circling too with quarterly beg weeks.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

reallivedinosaur posted:

I've been calling restaurants to place orders and having taxi drivers pick up the food for me. If you are a cool dude you could get beer and cigarettes. Heck a local pizza shop used to deliver me beer at 3AM here in good ole Ontario as long as everybody was cool about it.

The internet ruins everything.

Do you have to show your moms Id?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

reallivedinosaur posted:

We show your moms IUD.

I'll set em up

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

Navin Johnson posted:

lol if you buy Kenmore. I bought a Kenmore fridge way back. The compressor went out within five years. The repairman came to change it out and told me it was a Frigidaire. I asked him if they were pieces of poo poo and he told me, "The compressor's on back order. What does that tell you?" You never know what you get when you buy a Kenmore. gently caress Sears.

But kenmore is whirlpool ?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

johnny sack posted:

I can tell you why this happens.

I have sold a lot of things on Amazon. Go look at any item that you can buy from any vendor other than amazon.com. Chances are, you'll take a quick peek at their rating as based upon reviews by other users. The only way to get those reviews is by sending out the emails like you quoted.

See, I said I have sold a lot of things on Amazon, but I only have like 3 reviews. So what happens is I have to price things I sell much lower than the competition, because buyers will assume I'm less reliable because nobody has reviewed me. Furthermore, Amazon was holding funds for some TVs that I sold until the buyer verified that they received their TVs. When I asked why, it was because I didn't have enough reviews proving I was not a scammer. The customer service rep specifically told me that I should send emails like you quoted, basically harassing the buyer into giving me a review.

I tried a couple times, never got reviews, and gave up on selling on Amazon. gently caress that model. Nobody wants to leave a review when they're being harassed to.

Why are you selling tvs on Amazon and not at work?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

Wait, IBM is laying off 1/3 of their engineers?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

a happy snowman posted:

Last time I bought a car was through my credit union, they got me a car for $2k less than I could at any dealer. They basically let dealers 'bid' on the loan, so they kind of flip the buying relationship so dealers are competing for your business.

I also hear you can get the same kind of deal through Costco's buying service.

That was, oh, nine years ago. Have things changed?

This sounds awesome. Any similar but not your credit union links? I want to shame mine. I'm a member at Costco, never heard of this though.

E: why the hell is Costco in this business?

Burt Sexual has a new favorite as of 02:33 on Mar 4, 2016

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

meatpotato posted:

Stupid question, but does paying cash net any kind of discount for a new car? I've wondered if financing it can actually result a lower effective price for a car due to promotions or incentives, assuming you pay it off immediately. Or have they thought of that and not allowed it?

Finance for the lower, then pay it off next month.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

Click and Clack chat.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

When was the last time anyone ate at Shoney's? Now there's a company that's slowly rotating towards oblivion.

Also, Old Country Buffet.

Why would the twin cities require 10 old country buffets? There is only 3 left

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

amityville anus posted:

I heard Drano is circling the drain in this economy

About 542 SA posters thought of posting this, including me, but stopped. But here we are.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

Mozi posted:

sometimes you need a lot of eyes at once and need to take out an eye loan

Are there the penis equivalent?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

Professor Shark posted:

If this thread has taught me anything it's that when your employer starts to do this it's time to start looking for another job

I'm actually instructed the opposite, NEVER tweet about your company. That's what our pr dept is for. Makes you think about which is worse. My company is hiding some poo poo. I know. I know.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

Tim Burns Effect posted:

in college we had to post/tweet/advertise the lovely tv pilot we were making in our tv pilot class or else they knocked off points

They are teaching you marketing. Doesn't count as you made 0$ from your school.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

JnnyThndrs posted:

Fry's isn't THAT expensive for computer components except, for some reason, video cards, which are outrageously priced.

But the fact that 75% of their stock has been sold and returned and is being resold keeps me from buying much from them, like you said, Newegg is so much easier.

<fake edit> Fry's had a 90$ off sale on 4690K Intel processors, which was a helluva deal, except when I went in there, they had four processors in stock and every loving one of them had been opened/returned. I grabbed the least-molested box and took my chances - worked out ok, it OC'd fine at 4.3 on stock voltage.

Nerd level 10 achieved

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

JediTalentAgent posted:

I sort of think shipping has gotten a bit worse on items in the last few years. A few years back, ship-to-store and home delivery used to be pretty quick even with the basic options. I ordered something from Wal-mart of all places in the late afternoon on a Wednesday and got it less than 24 hours later on my doorstep.

Meanwhile, I've ordered stuff from Amazon lately that has taken them 3-4 days before they've even shipped it out.

The struggle is real.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

thathonkey posted:

Amazon shipped a router to my home at like 6pm on a sunday that i had ordered at 10am same day. That is fuckin crazy...

Wait what? You had an emergency router delivered to ur basement in 8 hrs from the Internet?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

swims posted:

Ontrac
They just got too big too fast. I've had probably 5 issues with them in the last 2 months.

They are a delivery company that was California overnight. Great service and pricing.

They decided to expand. They do not have the staff. If you call customer service you are looking at 45 min waiting time minimum. Packages delivered to wrong STATES with similar addresses.

I'd stop using them after the second problem, but I'm hasty that way on my overnight package delivery services.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

Nonsense posted:

is cabela's stores doing better than bass pro shops'

gander mountain seems to be the worst gun superstore

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

Professor Shark posted:

I sent an email to Cabela's asking if they would be getting a couple newer Henry rifle models in stock in the near future and I got an unexpectedly snarky response about how they have no ability to predict future stock and would not be willing to speculate as to whether or not those models will ever be sold by the company.

It was very strange.

proabably like when they had the ammo shortage and everyone called twice a day to check availability?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

canyoneer posted:

Cabela's/Bass Pro have their markets pretty well dialed in. They serve a very different segment than REI does.

rednecks vs millenials?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

Booblord Zagats posted:

Gen Xers just buy it off Amazon

REI is a COOP man.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

Farm to table is the next ConAgra

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

Roger Craig posted:

Video compression company Pied Piper was recently busted for fake new users for their platform and was sold by Raviga for pennies on the dollar. I doubt they'll be able to survive much longer.

Who? Lol

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Go online and buy cords. No matter what type of cord you need, get them online. You need a 1/4" to 1/4" mono if you're hooking a guitar to an amp.

edit:
And just like ordering wine at a restaurant get the first one up from the cheapest.

Lol people need advice on this from a dolt in person when they own an amped guitar?!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

PallasAthene posted:

I'm surprised your story didn't end with

That was another thing that pissed me off, when they started pushing the warranties hard. I remember one smug douche cashier at the Tacoma, WA store telling me that I should buy a warranty on a used 1980's Tube Screamer I was buying because "I buy a warranty on all my used pedals and then just call the company after the return period and tell them it broke and they overnight me a brand new version of the used pedal I bought for my recording studio, no questions asked, and I either used them for gigs sell them on Craigslist." When I rolled my eyes and said no thanks, he said "Heh, don't want any free gear? Doesn't sound smart to me..."

The only extended warranty I ever bought was from a tiny girl working at the same store who got a guitar off the top shelf for me and then looked at the ground and muttered something about a coverage plan. I mentioned how much of a fuckhead the other guy was about pushing the warranty and asked her if they got something for selling the warranty and she said "Not so much....it's more like we get in trouble if we DON'T sell a warranty..." There was something so hopeless about the way she said it that I got a warranty from her for everything I bought that day. I thought she was going to hug me after she rang my stuff up.

Side note: I was about to suggest that you buy a cable from Radio Shack because my friends and I did that for years after reading an interview with the guy from ZZ Top where he swore that the cheap store brand cables there were the best sounding ones he could find.....but Radio Shack lol....

Did she gently caress you?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

kazr posted:

i was shocked when i called autozone asking for an a/c cleaner without a particular product in mind, dude was able to order it for next day and then the price was even cheaper than what you can find online. i went in and it was exactly what i needed and he even gave me some advice on how to use it.

I hate people that call to auto parts stores. Their understaffed and people sit at stools waiting for granny to explain their problem.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I asked 3 different salespeople at Best Buy if they sold split-loom tubing and got 3 blank stares. 2 people couldn't help me even when I tried explaining what it is, the 3rd guy ended up showing me those rigid plastic runners you use to hide cables from a wall-mounted TV installation. Silly me for assuming a place that specializes in a/v cables would also have a way to protect those cables

What's that?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

Iron Crowned posted:

I was sitting here trying to remember the last time I was in a BB and why. I got $100 for my birthday, and I bought a big rear end media rack that holds all of my media

Pic please

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

Scheels has incredible mark up but has everything..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchblade Switcharoo

Pope Mobile posted:

How are cornhole manufacturers doing? Are they diversifying their product lines enough to stay competitive in the market?

ladder ball is eating into their market share.