Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Personally I'm inclined to lean towards the range set by the ancient sources because, you know, first hand sources vs. tenth hand analysis. Every decade or so there's a new article that comes out that finds that ancient sources were actually right about something after all, from Schliemann actually finding Troy on down to Herodotus's gold-digging giant ants.

But I also havent' read any of the articles by the modern scholars explaining why they think the numbers are really so much smaller. Maybe the eggheads are right after all.

I just finished my first read of it the other day and I'm no expert but I don't think the large numbers given are too incredible to believe. Xenophon gives as an explanation at one point that the ten thousand are very mobile compared to such a large army. If I didn't miss anything, they deal with a lot of harassment and attempts to block their way but don't actually fight the entire king's army again after the truce is broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread