Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Remember that blizzard two weekends ago? It blew open the balcony door to my father's printer room, covering his collection of 1950s pulp science fiction works in about five inches of snow. Fortunately it remained below freezing with the door open and snow coming in, so nothing got water-damaged. But in the process of digging out every single book and shoveling out the room, I came across an odd book.

That's not the original cover--that was lost. It appears to be made of folded manila folders, probably by dad a few decades back. Penny for scale.

Both front and back covers are missing, and the spine is mostly gone. The strings holding the book together are in awful condition, and pages in the front and back are completely detatched. I have no faith in the binding's ability to hold pages in place if the book is every fully opened, so I won't be doing that.

There are a bunch of loose documents tucked into the front of the folder-cover.

There's a new cover someone made at some point out of wallpaper. The first few dozen pages aren't bound in with the rest of the book, so it had already suffered significant damage before this repair job was done.

It's a bible! Just like the thread title said.

I'm not sure what translation it is yet, although I'm going to try to figure that out. It does, however, have a few dozen quite nice illustrations, each one with a sheet of onion skin bound into the book to protect it. You can see that, even through the onion skin, the image has stained the opposite page of text.

It also has a neat educational preface--it has an opening describing the tools, locations, and cultures mentioned in the body of the bible, among other subjects. Some of these are scattered within the bible verses-- over near Malachi there's a section on the currency exchange rates of all the denominations mentioned in the bible, written by Reverend Richard, Bishop of Peterborough.

These two cardboard pages were in the back, presumably just behind the back cover. There were no photographs contained within.

More interestingly, the bible came with a small handful of documents.

A newspaper clipping; William Mathew's obituary.

The announcement of the opening of a church.

A wedding certificate, from July 19, 1846.

And these pages were originally bound into the front cover of the book. This bible was always intended to be a family bible, a keepsake handed down from parent to child that carried the history of the family in it. There's a fourth page (Happy Occurrences) which had no entries but was largely the same. Still, we have a family history here that spans over a century.

Births Page posted:

Edward and Theresa have no children.

Which is probably how this bible wound up out of it's family's possession. Pops bought it back in the 80s from a used book store--he's not sure if he paid a dollar for it, or got it for the price of asking nicely. Either way, he got it in Philadelphia.

While this pile of loose pages is of nearly no monetary value, it really feels like it's a family treasure that some family doesn't know they have. Edward and Theresa may be without progeniture, but surely some branch of the family remains that would value the bible.

Any ideas on how to find them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Cool find, dude. That's the King James bible.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mystic Mongol posted:

While this pile of loose pages is of nearly no monetary value, it really feels like it's a family treasure that some family doesn't know they have. Edward and Theresa may be without progeniture, but surely some branch of the family remains that would value the bible.

Any ideas on how to find them?

Look up the church that there is a newspaper clipping about. Most likely, the family attended that church and someone working there may have some more records to check out.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
St Elizabeth's Parish House? I'll make some calls tomorrow, but I want to make sure I have the right one, as I'm not really sure the name hasn't changed in the past century. Presumably it's in Sea Cliff, but it's possible the owner of the bible moved at some point between the founding of the church and the death of Mr. Mathews.

There's no date on the newspaper clipping, but the back was somewhat helpful.

That's an excerpt from, "A Mysterious Disappearance," a 1905 mystery. I know that back in the day they'd publish mysteries in serial in the newspaper, and that's chapter 23 of 31, so the newspaper is from 1904 or 1905. Before I start calling random Parish Houses and asking if anyone there had an ancestor who owned a bible, is it possible to find out specifically what date this chapter would have been published?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mystic Mongol posted:

St Elizabeth's Parish House? I'll make some calls tomorrow, but I want to make sure I have the right one, as I'm not really sure the name hasn't changed in the past century. Presumably it's in Sea Cliff, but it's possible the owner of the bible moved at some point between the founding of the church and the death of Mr. Mathews.

There's no date on the newspaper clipping, but the back was somewhat helpful.

That's an excerpt from, "A Mysterious Disappearance," a 1905 mystery. I know that back in the day they'd publish mysteries in serial in the newspaper, and that's chapter 23 of 31, so the newspaper is from 1904 or 1905. Before I start calling random Parish Houses and asking if anyone there had an ancestor who owned a bible, is it possible to find out specifically what date this chapter would have been published?

Do you know what newspaper it is? The newspaper's office might have an archive and can tell you, or you might even be able to find old copies of that paper on microfilm at a local library.

Also when you call the church, you aren't asking if anyone currently working or even attending there had an ancestor who owned the bible - rather, you should ask if the family that owned the bible shows up in the church's records of weddings, births, or funerals.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 4, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Actually looking at this stuff again I completely missed something. There is a different, older church listed on the marriage certificate. Presbyterian of Oyster Bay. It's still around and services are still performed there.

So I would start by talking to that church and see if they have any records of weddings, births, or funerals of people related to this couple that were married there in 1846.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Earwicker posted:

Actually looking at this stuff again I completely missed something. There is a different, older church listed on the marriage certificate. Presbyterian of Oyster Bay. It's still around and services are still performed there.

So I would start by talking to that church and see if they have any records of weddings, births, or funerals of people related to this couple that were married there in 1846.

I've shot them a phone call and hopefully they'll get back to me. While I don't expect them to have many records from 1846 (while the church was founded in 1842, it didn't get an actual building until 1873 and apparently the 50s were a dead period for the congregation) they may know something about some of the names that show up on the Deaths, Births, or Marriages pages.

This is a church that mostly met in people's living rooms or other church's back offices, that the family left at the turn of the century for St. Elisabeth's. Spiritually important to its congregants, sure, but probably not a great repository for records.

Marriage records have to be kept somewhere, though. If I wanted to look up a wedding from 1846, who would I talk to? The town, New York state?

Earwicker posted:

Do you know what newspaper it is? The newspaper's office might have an archive and can tell you, or you might even be able to find old copies of that paper on microfilm at a local library.

Nope. What you see is what I've got.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mystic Mongol posted:

If I wanted to look up a wedding from 1846, who would I talk to? The town, New York state?

I would start with the town government or maybe a local historian and ask them where a couple in their area would most likely have gone for a marriage certificate in 1846. Oyster Bay is one of those towns made from a bunch of smaller towns glommed together so it was probably a different situation back then.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Wallace Thurston (1863-1941), his grave + obituary:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=128690825

He was postmaster in Long Island.

[I've cut out a bunch of info here]

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 12, 2016

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The Wallace Thurston family in the 1940 census in Floral Park, Hempstead Township, Nassau County, NY State.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1961-27842-927-42?cc=2000219

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Fantastic! Thanks a bunch.

I'll be making contact tomorrow--if anything interesting happens, I'll be sure to share.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
This is really cool, thanks for posting this.

The blank Happy Occurrences page made me :ohdear: a little bit.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Mystic Mongol posted:

Fantastic! Thanks a bunch.

I'll be making contact tomorrow--if anything interesting happens, I'll be sure to share.

Awesome

By the way, super cool that you're doing this. I'd be hella glad to randomly get an old family item like that.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Transcribing all of this into a public blog post would probably get noticed by someone doing research, at some point.

I wrote a post about the fact that my family didn't know anything about my great-great-great-grandfather's family before they got on a ship in Antwerp in 1867 and headed to the US. I'd spent a lot of time doing research online, and found absolutely nothing.

Someone found my post via Google, and contacted me. Turns out, we shared the same great-great-grandfather, and he'd done some genealogy research in Germany. So I (and my grandparents) were able to learn a lot more about our family.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
So, I've found the Last of the Thurstons, Bruce D. Thurston's sister, who still lives in New York. With the family name largely lost and only female heirs, who were of an age to take their Husband's names, she has been working on a family tree to preserve what's left of the family history. Then I plummet from the heavens, holding sheets from the middle of the ninteenth century, offering to pack 'em all up and ship them to her.

"Why are you being so nice? Nobody's this nice anymore."

"Oh, I think they still are. It's just pretty rare to find a book almost two hundred years old."

She did seem pretty disappointed when I told her about the bible's condition, of course, but she's eager to regain so much of her family history.

So I'll be packing up the bible as securely as I and a guy with some experience with fragile documents can manage this Friday. Before it leaves my possession, is anyone interested in specific pictures?

e:Plot twist!

So I just got some texts from (I assume) one of the nieces, who is unhappy that some stranger is calling up her mother and claiming to have something with the family name on it. She's pretty upset her mother gave me the family address. (I found it independently in the white pages, but hey, doxxing is spooky)

She hasn't given me a name or deigned to speak over the phone, so we'll see how this goes.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 9, 2016

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Oh poo poo. :munch:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oh my!

Don't let the niece get you down. I'm sure she'll come around once her mom gets the bible and sees it for what it is :)

Still, I guess it's not completely uncalled-for to be a bit wary of random people calling up saying they have your family heirlooms...

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
I guess. Although she's just asked me if I'm a hacker, and told me her husband is a cop.

I did get a name and an email address from her, so we'll see if she warms up a bit once she sees that the bible is in too shoddy a condition to shake her down for money over.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sweet, now you can hack her cyberbible

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Jesus ain't your savior any more, motherfucker. That's my salvation!

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Mystic Mongol posted:

e:Plot twist!

So I just got some texts from (I assume) one of the nieces, who is unhappy that some stranger is calling up her mother and claiming to have something with the family name on it. She's pretty upset her mother gave me the family address. (I found it independently in the white pages, but hey, doxxing is spooky)

She hasn't given me a name or deigned to speak over the phone, so we'll see how this goes.
The internet works in mysterious ways.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I need closure! She get the bible?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I need closure! She get the bible?

yeah, keep us updated. will this story have a happy ending?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I hope the angry niece didn't put him in jail :ohdear:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Ah, yes.

So.

Very embarrassing.

It took me a few days to write the letter I included with the package, because I wanted to have an entire log of the bible's passage through my father's possession and my own included in the package. It came out nicely, eventually, and I made sure to credit two strangers on the internet who were of particular help, Earwicker and Snapchat a T. Yes, I censored your name a bit--always adjust language to audience. I hope you understand.

Then I contacted a used book dealer pops does a lot of work for seeking advice on how to package this sucker. It fits snugly in a standard USPS mailing box, but the pages are incredibly fragile, and I was looking for concrete advice on how best to prevent damage. The advice I got was, basically, "Wrap it in newspaper and pray, because the only thing that'll work better is a bonded courier." There was a brief consideration of going down to New York and dropping it off myself, because hell, I'm unemployed, but that'd probably cause the neice to eat her own tongue and upgrade her retaliation to the imaginary FBI. So I've got it all nicely packaged up and in a box ready to go, as of about a week ago.

Then I realized I'd lost the Thruston family address. And being a shy, delicate flower, I kiiiiinda put off calling the household to admit I was a dumb.

But I have called them tonight and yup got everything ready and it's going in the mail Monday shut up. The bible's packed up all snug, the letter's in there, and it's getting shipped with tracking on Monday. The last Thurston admitted that, yes, she was kind of wondering why she hadn't gotten the bible yet or heard from me, but she's still happy and thankful to be receiving it real soon now, honest to god.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Haha! Oh man I know about the whole putting off stuff because of head problems thing so no worries. Keep us posted if/when she writes something back though!

Also lmbo censoring my nick was probably a good call. Last of the Thurstons probably wouldn't "get it" as it were. We can just pretend it means T-shirt :haw:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Time to wrap this up. Personal information removed not because I think anyone will hassle them, but because there's nothing else I can think of that information would be useful for.

A nice old lady posted:

I received the Bible and I can not begin to thank you enough for taking the time and "postage" to send me this piece of my history. The deaths and birth records alone filled so many blank spots on my family tree. I had recorded up to my Great Grandfather and Grandmother but now I have the record of their parents. Just so amazing.
... my daughter is getting married in 2 months so I don't know if I will find time to enter the new information, but once it calms down around here I will start filling in the new info [to my online family tree].
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kindness.
Stay well
[Last of the Thurstons]

Sent from my iPad

Looks like this is the end of my part of the story.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yay! fantastic! :neckbeard:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:unsmith:

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
That's really heartwarming! You did a Good Thing.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Mystic Mongol posted:

Looks like this is the end of my part of the story.

What an incredible act of kindness! You are now also a part of that family's history. Well done, and thanks for the story!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Snapchat A Titty posted:

You did a good thing, MM.

Socialized
Oct 27, 2010

Midjack posted:

You did a good thing, MM.

Please start a Lets Read immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Socialized posted:

Please start a Lets Read immediately

It was covered in the Trad Games Fatal and Friends thread, where we review old and/or terrible games. The whole series is being preserved offsite; the Cyberpapacy review is here:

http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/evil-mastermind/torg/#17

• Locked thread