Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

AC2 was the first in the series I really sat down and played. I had the AC1 demo but never found an actual copy of the game til years later. I remember crashing it one time with 2 missile boats in versus. Silent Line remains the best game in the series, but 2 was a great place to start.

You should show off how broken the EWR-L24 is if you can aim it. I setup proper right analog aiming in PCSX2 last year and just shredded everything with it. Also the EWX-VLS241, the only missiles anyone ever needs unless the map has really low ceilings.

Get a bomb dispenser and kill someone in the arena by making GBS threads on them.

Maybe try to avoid leaning too hard on God's One True Handed-Down-On-The-Mountain FCS: the LODD-BLAZER.

The flamethrower is neither the worst weapon, nor is its damage bad. It's the highest dps by a wide margin and isn't nearly as hard to hit with as the bomb dispensers.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

In AC3 all you need to trivialize basically every match is a chaingun and flamer in the Parking Garage. The AI is too stupid to not back itself into a corner and get in a damage race that's 100% impossible to win.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 8, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The stock core in this game is seriously underrated. It has the best antimissile system and a very efficient overboost that's over 100 km/h faster than the other medium core. Core antimissiles are really good in general, because they'll fire again if they miss, unlike the extensions.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm pretty sure the SPGUN is the only good slug gun in the history of the series. Every since they've all been too slow, too heavy, and way too much spread to do anything.

Showing Werehound what real weapon arms are :getin: Chainguns and machine gun arms are some of the few parts that got major buffs in the next game. They just don't have the dps you'd think they would.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 10, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I might like them if they had about double the fire rate. A gun that weak and gimmicky has no right being drastically slower than a grenade launcher.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I will stand by my position that the flamethrower is the worst thing ever to the death, and beyond that.

There's way better ways to faceroll arena opponents that don't require you to cuddle up at point blank range with a non-locking weapon.

I'm pretty sure you're just getting your mechanics mixed up with Nexus, where it is indeed loving awful. It's too awkward and heavy to really use in the gen 2 games but 3's left arm flamer is terrifying despite having stats copied straight out of AA except for weight. For 2 games it's a strong contender for best in slot then From fucks it up again :v: Even in gen 2, it's still not worse than the inside turd bombs.

I'm also down for nerding out on Skype about this poo poo.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

IronSaber posted:

Wait a dang second. You're telling me if you spend too much, the game will dump you into some kind of New Game+ with enhanced abilities? :psyduck:

It's really something you're unlikely to do unintentionally. You don't pay repair or ammo costs for failed missions so your only option is to win missions using weapons with ridiculous ammo costs.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ah. I guess they didn't change that til later.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Can real FCS data for the gen 2 games even be found these days? I went trawling through a bunch of Japanese wikis and can only find full FCS specs starting with AC3. Last I knew you couldn't even find that much in English without somehow stumbling upon an old google page I tossed up for it years ago so I wouldn't have to find it again.

Also, the heavy bazooka is butt. The lighter of the 2 is pretty good, since it has special lock instead of ND. Gen 2 is really bitchy about giving narrow and deep weapons decent FCS boxes, so it's just not fun to use.

Your favorite booster might as well be the only booster in AC2. The 2 stronger ones are bugged and don't actually make you go faster.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 15, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

I can't remember, is it possible to build a pastiche of the Guntank from the original Mobile Suit Gundam? Dual rocket arms with dual giant shoulder cannons and tank treads. It's been so long I can't remember if there were rocket arms.

Not rocket arms but MoA had bazooka arms that looked a lot like the Guntank's arms. AC3, as well.

All the regular cannons fold up so I used slug guns.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 21, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The consensus has always been that precision affects how long it takes to double lock. The Japanese term is something like "precision processing speed".

You just about have to take every fcs/weapon lock type combo separately in AC2 because there are so many weird exceptions that there really are no rules. Trial and error is all you really have to go on.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Can't even make a proper GOMAP yet :(

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

JamieTheD posted:

Oh dear. All this talk of calculations and fake ACs leads me to think of another Raven too. :stare:

I swear to God, if he asks us what we wish, or talks to us about humans needing strict supervision, I'm going to scream.

Leos Klein was a Ninebreaker and thus can't possibly be Nineball.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Clearly he needs seed money to start his own giant quasi-governmental corporation.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Stormgear posted:

Yay! You're back!

Also, that color-scheme-- is it... The SRX!?

(It looks like either that or the RX-78-2, but the red legs are leaning me toward SRX. But then... Pale Demon. Hmmm.)

Definitely the latter, aka White Devil

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Stormgear posted:

Edit: I just noticed that Zio Matrix apparently has an interstellar transportation network. What the hell. When are we getting AC: Alpha Centauri?

Probably a translation error. Japanese doesn't really have a separate word for planet in common use.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It's fine if people don't get it. I went deliberately more obtuse for the fun of it. It's a Super Beastly reference to something with like three fans, tops.

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought it was. Dancouga. Wouldn't exactly say I'm a fan but it's pretty nice in SRW games.

Actually, I'm pretty sure its only fans are people who only know it from SRW. The show itself is pretty dull and the title robot doesn't show up til like 30 episodes in.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 9, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That would be a Mazinger Z, the Shin Mazinger design, going by the name and yellow highlights.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 14, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Stormgear posted:

Well.

That robot is definitely Kotetsu Jeeg! From the anime of the same name.

That is is.

And hell yeah 9 is the best song this series ever put out, at least up through the ps2 years.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I feel like a normal person would do alright if they were given something with a lot more burst damage instead of trying to plink for an hour with a rifle. My first Nineball Seraph kill used grenade arms and didn't take that many attempts.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I mean, yes, big a big enough gun to any fight and you can trivialize it, but that's not really my goal. I'll show it off, but I'd rather explain the mechanics and show an example of doing things without necessarily assuming the foresight to know you've got a big tanky boss coming up, so grab the heavyweight and load up on grenades. Just like in the snowfield mission where I brought a missileboat to a distinctly missile unfriendly mission.

I know I've said it before, but a big strength of the series to me is that, if you have solid fundamentals with regards to design and piloting, you can pretty much take anything anywhere and be just fine. Might not be optimal, but I do want to show more than just 'throw grenades/a karasawa/rockets at it'. (Even if a rifle is my go-to for 'universal tool that isn't spectacular', I should branch out into pistols more often but really AC2's options aren't the most robust.)

Of course at the same time I also know that I am the only person in the world who could possibly give a poo poo, but hey, this is for me to push my limits as much as it is for others to watch :v:

Yeah, but that's you and throwing someone into that fight sight unseen with a rifle and useless missile launcher is just mean.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Everyone should read Getter Robo and all of its sequels.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hi-Nu Gundam the orbits are a nice touch.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 12, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gold Lightan, the robot that turns into a lighter.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 20, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hello my dear friend Shin Getter 1

And now for the game to take the gloves off in the desert.

Tank with weapon arms and rockets seems a tad counter productive but I guess it worked.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 24, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Polaron posted:

Hi there Xabungle.

Is there ever any indication as to where on Earth these games take place? The maps rarely seem to rarely map up with actual Earth geography.

This one's all over it. The problem being that we're hundreds of years and an apocalypse or 2 down the line. The Great Destruction was an orbital bombardment marking the end of a 30 year long global nuclear war. With that much poo poo getting thrown around it's no wonder there's nothing recognizable.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Koryuoh?

Can't wait for AC3 but we still have a little unfinished business here.

Actually

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 29, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The best part about Nineball Seraph is that his energy defense is completely absurd so if you're the Karasawa addict you've been trained to be he's drat near impossible.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Crazy Achmed posted:

Holy poo poo, I can't hit anything with rockets, ever. Well done.

The controls at this point in the series really don't like precision aiming, so don't feel bad. Last time I played through one did some custom binds in PCSX2 to let me do proper right stick aiming and it makes rockets broke as hell.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

And coming in on top with a grand total of six points is dis astranagant. Please submit your wishes for a forums upgrade or avatar, and I will hook you up with your prize. And a big thanks for everyone else who participated in helping make the tail end of Another Age just a bit more interesting.

I could use plat again. Can't wait for AC3, Silent Line is my all time favorite AC game.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

No I'm not dead and sadly this isn't to inform you that AC3 is starting right now, but I do need to save the thread from lapsing before I send it in for archiving.

But so that I don't leave you all completely without content, Wonder Festival is going on right now and it's making me very sad

https://twitter.com/Sen_DQX/status/891522078272143360
https://twitter.com/souten_emma/status/891655898229166081
https://twitter.com/souten_emma/status/891653901681741824
https://twitter.com/souten_emma/status/891658891775270912

Those classic PSX AC1/MoA customs :negative:

Also, dis astranagant, I need an e-mail for you so I can get plat applied to your account.

dis.astranagant@gmail.com

• Locked thread