Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
National Signing Day 2016 is over! 'Bama wins! Texas fulfills the prophecy of...recruiting like Texas. UGA fans go into critical panic due to only landing a top 10 class. Welcome to the glory of recruiting, bag men, and cakes.

24/7 Composite Final Rankings
    1. Alabama
    2. FSU
    3. LSU
    4. Ohio State
    5. Michigan
    6. Ole Miss
    7. Georgia
    8. USC
    9. Auburn
    10. Clemson
And last year's top 10:
    1. Alabama
    2. USC
    3. FSU
    4. Tennessee
    5. LSU
    6. Ohio State
    7. UCLA
    8. Clemson
    9. Auburn
    10. Georgia
It's almost like the same teams are the best recruiters every year...

How do I know if my team is good at recruiting?
Cake game!

Recruiting sites:
While this thread is a great resource for keeping up with recruiting on a national level, if you want to follow a specific team, you probably want to subscribe to one of the four main services.
    Rivals: The current King poo poo of the recruiting analysis world, Rivals covers a great number of events at a generally high quality.
    24/7: 24/7 is definitely at least on par with Rivals in most ways now.
    ESPN: ESPN does some scouting pretty well, but is nonexistent in other areas. YMMV.
    Scout: Scout is utter garbage in terms of scouting and ranking prospects, but Im sure some schools have Scout as their primary site?
The main issue with picking which service to follow is the school to which you owe allegiance. For VT, for example, 24/7 is currently king of the mountain, but it wasn't all that long ago that Rivals was. So do your research before dropping any of your hard-earned :10bux: just to be on the bleeding edge of recruiting info.

Which kid gives my team the most fantasy recruiting points?!
Early watch lists are out now, they're all guaranteed to change quite a bit over the next year as new players emerge, more well-known ones drop in the rankings, and kids move up. Everything is dynamic and constantly in flux. That said, here's the early overall rankings:
Oh man look at all that social networking these kids are doing!
Please god dont interact with kids on Twitter/FB/etc. Its fine to follow them if theyre publicly tweeting or whatever, but dont be a terrible creeper.

Things to follow during the spring/summer:
    Spring Games: For many schools this is a huge recruiting event, and can draw a crowd that'd be considered huge for a game day at smaller schools.
    Junior Days: Time for the fresh crop of next year's recruits to hit campus, take in practice so they can see what they're getting themselves into coaching wise, and get a feel for their top schools.
    Camps: Recruits also come to camp to be seen competing. A great opportunity for less-scouted players to have a shot at a scholly or a walk-on offer.
Hope you're all ready for the chase for mediocrity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Can't wait to drool over the current class of high school juniors. It's not weird at all why are you looking at me like that

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
I approve of this message

quote:

Please god dont interact with kids on Twitter/FB/etc. Its fine to follow them if theyre publicly tweeting or whatever, but dont be a terrible creeper.

And also this one

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

vyst posted:

Can't wait to drool over the current class of high school juniors. It's not weird at all why are you looking at me like that

Hips like swivels

What a solid bend throughout his stance

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Found a really good article about Jonathan Kongbo and how he wound up in America after escaping the Congo:

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyom...f9e676c6d0.html

It's too long to quote but take a few minutes and read it.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Urbz don't need no cakes.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Go win the Heimlich Trophy!
OSU has a cannon arm lefty QB with bad mechanics and dump-truck running skills committed for this class who's been committed since like before his freshman year of high school. I'm telling you all this to prepare for when ESPN in a few months decides he's Tim Tebow and how Urban is trying to bring the offense back the Florida spread. Brace yourselves for such offseason punditry

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think ole miss should troll the NCAA by having a cake that looked like a fat stack of big bills and getting a recruit to pose with it

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Mizzou commit Marvin Terry never signed his LOI and no one knew what was going on

quote:

Well we know why Marvin Terry didn't sign with Missouri on National Signing Day as we assumed he would: He was arrested for assault. Read Dave Matter's story on it here, or read the arrest record and three charges yourself here. From Matter's piece: "Terry, 18, was booked in Dallas County Jail on Jan. 25 after he was arrested on suspicion of three counts on suspicion of assault, according to a Dallas County Jail spokesperson. The alleged assault appears related to a domestic violence incident and are described as assault causing bodily injury/family violence, family violence assault for impeding breath or circulation and a third charge of continuous family violence assault within 12 months, plus a charge of insufficient bond. Terrys total bond was set at $34,500."

Oh

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Ahahaha. Wasn't there a commit for some SEC team a couple years ago who faxed in his LOI from jail?

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
AFAIK every SEC commit faxes their LOI from jail

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Quoting myself from the last thread:

MourningView posted:

I dunno if y'all are doing 2017 stuff in here but Iowa just got a commitment from AJ Epenesa, a Hawkeye legacy, one of the top ranked DEs in the country and a consensus top 30 recruit overall (and that's way underselling where is in in some services). He is almost certainly Ferentz's best recruit since 2005, and maybe ever.

For 2017 Iowa also has every notable in state guy they've offered locked up and leads for several 4 star guys nationally. It's going to be our best class in a really long time

Epenesa has a chance to be like the fourth 5* Ferentz has ever signed (he already is one by several services).

Among the other current commits Juan Harris is probably the most notable. He's absolute gigantic (somewhere between 350 and 390 depending on where you look), offers from Texas and Michigan (not that a Michigan offer is worth much at this point) and Rivals had him as a four star until fairly recently. He'll probably need to drop some weight but Iowa hasn't ever really had a DT with that kind of size. If he sticks (he's already committed and de-committed like 4 times) it'll be interesting to see what Iowa does with him

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Kyle Flood did him no favors, but it's embarrassing how poorly Chris Ash finished the class. Seriously losing players to Indiana and Temple. Four years ago Schiano had a top 25 class!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
On the other thread there was some talk about how many 4 & 5 star players teams have signed recently. Well I just saw someone complied the information on Vol Nation. It is based 2014-2016 Rivals star rankings. (Disclaimer: This is a list I found on the internet which means it could be totally wrong. I have verified some of the team counts enough for me to be satisfied. Also this doesn't take in to account what players left the team or the actually player need at the time.)

Total # of 4 and 5 stars signed 2014-2016
1) Alabama: 53
2) Florida State: 50
3) Ohio State: 47
4) Tennessee: 46
T5) Southern California: 45
T5) Auburn: 45
7) Louisiana State: 43
8) Georgia: 39
9) Notre Dame: 37
10) Texas A&M: 35
11) California Los Angeles: 34
12) Clemson: 33
T13) Texas: 32
T13) Oklahoma: 32
15) Florida: 30

- Well the obvious thing to notice is the top 3 all have won National Championships during the same time frame. So the rich are getting richer as always.

- Given all the talk of Ole Miss' recruiting, they are not even in the top 15 (I checked the math, and it looks like they only had 25 or so).

- Also no Michigan (that will change with the current staff), and I thought Clemson would be higher (that could be because Clemson has become one of Tennessee's big recruiting rivals given the areas they recruit, they are in on almost every Tennessee prospect). I did look, and Clemson has a higher class average, so they just haven't taken as many players recently.

- Auburn is really under performing recently, more than any other team on this list.

- USC will soon rule the Pac-12 again.

- As a Tennessee fan you can see what a influx of talent does to a team. Jones took over a 5-7 team with a sub-par roster, and has improved every year (9-4 this year, and 3 of those losses happen late in the 4q). As Regnevelc pointed out can Jones push them to the next step? He has no excuse If he doesn't beat UF finally, and win at least 10 games plus the SEC East. I haven't said that Tennessee should win the East since the Fulmer days, so anything less will be a letdown ( I'm just setting myself up for a letdown).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 5, 2016

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

UF at 15 really shows the damage Will Muschamp did to our recruiting. drat.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Go win the Heimlich Trophy!

Kim Jong Il posted:

Kyle Flood did him no favors, but it's embarrassing how poorly Chris Ash finished the class. Seriously losing players to Indiana and Temple. Four years ago Schiano had a top 25 class!

Schiano also could legitimately say "we can win the Big East and go to a decent BCS/upper-tier bowl". Post regression to the mean (i.e. Post-Schiano), they can legitimately say "We could be the 4th best team in our division if James Franklin continues to be poo poo!" Ash was an awesome coordinator in Columbus, but it speaks volumes that Rutgers went and hired an coordinator over someone established, including the guy who literally build the program. Hell, Schiano replaced Ash at OSU and was sitting there doing nothing if they wanted the glory days back that badly, but that's just asking too much of a program that's out of its depth right now in terms of support and means. It's hard to recruit when you're selling kids on lucking into the Pinstripe bowl and fighting the fact that OSU, Michigan, and Penn State in your division alone have established relationships and pipelines in New Jersey and frankly have a better record of landing those kids in the NFL than Rutgers does. It's going to take a few years and some minor miracles like MSU slumping and Penn State continuing to be garbage to get traction against that kind of pull, especially when you have things like Schiano going to OSU and Chris Partridge at Michigan only firming those ties up. Say what you will about Indiana and Temple, but Indiana legitimately can aim for 6-8 wins a year in the Big Ten west right now, and Temple will contend for their conference as long as Rhule is there. That's more success than Rutgers is set up for for the next 2 years with the sheer fallout from dismissing what felt like half the team and hiring a guy who's never been a head coach before on top of having that much direct competition from recruits in the home state. If Ash is bowl eligible by year 2-3, then he's officially saved Rutgers because there really aren't that many worse Power 5 jobs right now for fast success right now (Purdue, Colorado, Iowa State, maybe like some bottom tier ACC schools)

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

On the other thread there was some talk about how many 4 & 5 star players teams have signed recently. Well I just saw someone complied the information on Vol Nation. It is based 2014-2016 Rivals star rankings. (Disclaimer: This is a list I found on the internet which means it could be totally wrong. I have verified some of the team counts enough for me to be satisfied. Also this doesn't take in to account what players left the team or the actually player need at the time.)

Total # of 4 and 5 stars signed 2014-2016
1) Alabama: 53
2) Florida State: 50
3) Ohio State: 47
4) Tennessee: 46
T5) Southern California: 45
T5) Auburn: 45
7) Louisiana State: 43
8) Georgia: 39
9) Notre Dame: 37
10) Texas A&M: 35
11) California Los Angeles: 34
12) Clemson: 33
T13) Texas: 32
T13) Oklahoma: 32
15) Florida: 30

- Well the obvious thing to notice is the top 3 all have won National Championships during the same time frame. So the rich are getting richer as always.

- Given all the talk of Ole Miss' recruiting, they are not even in the top 15 (I checked the math, and it looks like they only had 25 or so).

- Also no Michigan (that will change with the current staff), and I thought Clemson would be higher (that could be because Clemson has become one of Tennessee's big recruiting rivals given the areas they recruit, they are in on almost every Tennessee prospect). I did look, and Clemson has a higher class average, so they just haven't taken as many players recently.

- Auburn is really under performing recently, more than any other team on this list.

- USC will soon rule the Pac-12 again.

- As a Tennessee fan you can see what a influx of talent does to a team. Jones took over a 5-7 team with a sub-par roster, and has improved every year (9-4 this year, and 3 of those losses happen late in the 4q). As Regnevelc pointed out can Jones push them to the next step? He has no excuse If he doesn't beat UF finally, and win at least 10 games plus the SEC East. I haven't said that Tennessee should win the East since the Fulmer days, so anything less will be a letdown ( I'm just setting myself up for a letdown).

That is a LOT closer than I thought it'd be.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Joey Freshwater posted:

That is a LOT closer than I thought it'd be.

Time to poo poo or get off the pot, Butch.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Top o-lineman Netori Johnson decommitted from Alabama, he has a lot of interest in Michigan

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
2017 TN 4* WR Amari Rodgers will be committing on 2/14/16. He was committed to USC, because his dad is no other than Tee Martin (former Vol QB and current OC at USC). Word is between the coaching changes at USC, and that he wants to stay closer to his mother (who lives in Knoxville) is the reason USC is no longer an option. Still by most accounts it looks like he will pick Clemson over Tennessee. We still got a year to go, but I have a feeling Clemson all the way. I remember watching Rodgers single handily destroy teams in elementary and middle school when my son played. He is going to be a good one.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Im fairly certain texas won't have any real recruiting news again until NSD a year from now. P sweet

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Tee Higgins decommitted from Tenn after visiting Clemson's Jr Day. 4* WR who wants to play football and basketball

e: just looked at his film, looks like Randy Moss out there

Mike_V posted:

How often do commits this far out stick around until NSD?

Pretty often, don't know the offical stats or whatever. He decommitted anyways, updated the post again

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 5, 2016

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mike_V posted:

Probably not often unless they're a legacy or from the area (both are for UT), but next year's signing day is so far off it's hard for me to care about them decommitting. Take Tyler Byrd for example. He was committed to Miami a few days over a year and flipped to UT the night before NSD.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Mike_V posted:

It really just depends on the position too. I feel lime a big time QB might stick because they get a bit of priority. I felt like Eason committed to UGA 2 years before he set foot on campus.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

lamentable dustman posted:

Tee Higgins decommitted from Tenn after visiting Clemson's Jr Day. 4* WR who wants to play football and basketball

If Clemson gets both 4* WRs out of the Knoxville area (Higgins is from Oak Ridge which is where I work) it will suck. I still believe Higgins will end up at Tennessee, but Rodgers not so much.

Clemson, Georgia, and Auburn are the 3 teams that it seems we have to go up against for almost every recruit.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

UF at 15 really shows the damage Will Muschamp did to our recruiting. drat.

Our coke fiend QB causing the result of a nose dive at the end of the year didn't help either.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

vyst posted:

Our coke fiend QB causing the result of a nose dive at the end of the year didn't help either.

I thought it was PED's

Was it actual drugs?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ehud posted:

I thought it was PED's

Was it actual drugs?

There's a substantial rumor that the drugs he was taking and got busted with was to flush coke out of the system or mask it on a piss test

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Ehud posted:

I thought it was PED's

Was it actual drugs?

Nole rumor mill was his room mate (the kicker, whoever) got him on the stuff.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

vyst posted:

There's a substantial rumor that the drugs he was taking and got busted with was to flush coke out of the system or mask it on a piss test

pillsburysoldier posted:

Nole rumor mill was his room mate (the kicker, whoever) got him on the stuff.

I swear to god if Austin Hardin was the worst kicker in college football and responsible for Grier's suspension...ugh.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Ehud posted:

I swear to god if Austin Hardin was the worst kicker in college football and responsible for Grier's suspension...ugh.

the most muschampian recruit of all was the kicker

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

have I mentioned how excited I am about Eddy Pineiro

https://twitter.com/eddypineiro1/status/693160399571685377

https://twitter.com/eddypineiro1/status/684866609828216832

https://twitter.com/eddypineiro1/status/688408635861499904

https://twitter.com/eddypineiro1/status/692462741269958657

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

He's going to own. It's great. gently caress Hardin forever

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ehud posted:

:smith:

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
Kickers are the perfect example of not really knowing what you have until it's gone.

Fortunately FSU has had some great guys go through lately. When Aguyao gets drafted this year they'll have Gano, Hopkins, Seabass, and Roberto kicking. That's nuts.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The Hokies have generally enjoyed quality FG kickers, but I agree you don't really know how good a guy was until they leave and you're stuck with the guy that can't hit 40+ yard attempts and misses easy chip shots (or you get suspended and force a senior kick off specialist to cover FG duty in a BCS bowl).

I'm still sorta sad that AA punter went walk on at Georgia instead of taking a scholly with us given how our recruiting board panned out and we didn't even fully fill the class.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Dattserberg posted:

Kickers are the perfect example of not really knowing what you have until it's gone.

Fortunately FSU has had some great guys go through lately. When Aguyao gets drafted this year they'll have Gano, Hopkins, Seabass, and Roberto kicking. That's nuts.

It's been pretty ridiculous the slew of consecutive good kickers FSU has snagged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Dattserberg posted:

That's nuts.

And our new punter is left footed!

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 5, 2016

• Locked thread