Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Hulu decided that, unlike Netflix, they are only going to allow one stream per account at a time. This is a great idea since clearly households with several people in them want to pay $10 a month PER DEVICE like scrooge mcduck who wants to empty out his pool of coins so he can put a real pool in there like a normal duck.

However, because the people who run hulu are clearly idiots, you can circumvent this by refreshing the hulu stream page a few times. I figured this out because I am a sad lonely person and apparently hulu sometimes thinks that my single computer is watching multiple things at once, probably because their poo poo app crashed without terminating the session or whatever and i reloaded it, so now I am watching both that defunct zombie instance and the new one that I am actually watching.

Anyway Hulu has lots of good TV shows if you're into that sort of thing, way better than Netflix. However it has zero good movies and has rules that are idiotic and annoying.

And that is my monthy thread about Netflix (which is amazing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
hulu is absolute loving trash and i refuse to ever pay for it

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
better call saul is pretty good

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can't believe it took them years to come up with an ad-free option (though it still suspiciously recommends only TV shows with the biggest ad budgets), only for the low low price of more than netflix for less content and access. FTW

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Bitcointorrent supremacy

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

computer parts posted:

better call saul is pretty good

Available now on nutflux

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
usenet is my cable provider

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i can't pay for it so that makes it okay to steal it right

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN

flakeloaf posted:

i dunno is using your friends/family streaming logins stealing

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

an american friend with a vpn could pay for it and i could pay him but that's really not the same thing

also netflix needs a combined lists option so we don't have to keep switching between our profiles to see the things we've listed

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

flakeloaf posted:

also netflix needs a combined lists option so we don't have to keep switching between our profiles to see the things we've listed
no what netflix needs is to stop asking you what profile you want to use when you only have one loving profile

gee I wonder who's watching hmmm

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
more like net filch

or maybe net filth

hmm

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

idk why is everyone in your family antisocial and watching television separately???

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

also if I'm gonna pay Netflix for one good movie a month I'll go to the video store thank you

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

separate profiles work well to separate my wifes icky girl movies from my strong manly action movies

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dr. Honked posted:

more like net filch

or maybe net filth

hmm

netfux

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

nutflix

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Netflix offer an el cheapo plan that is only one concurrent stream and in standard-def, normally it allows two HD streams.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

thank you

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
also the hbo now app for iOS and Apple TV is really bad. like there's no way to add a series to your watchlist and it has no way to remember what you've seen. you need to remember what the last episode you saw was every loving time you start watching again.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

flakeloaf posted:

literally yes

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

hulu is for my mom because its easier than having her deal with a dvr for stupid network shows

i would never pay for it

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
my mum bought house of cards on dvd and offered me some coupon it came with to redeem the show on some lovely streaming service that noone has heard of and isn't netflix

i politely declined

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

ultimately all streaming services suck because they are still a chaotic mess of licensing issues.

last year amazon and i think netflix had all of Blackadder, then poof gone from both services and near as i can tell everywhere else as well

maybe someday netflix et al will get the crusty old media companies to gently caress off with this bullshit

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

netflix is self funding some deecee content so they can start to go at things alone now even with a lack of movie content

netflix-showtime-hbo merger would own

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The Management posted:

also the hbo now app for iOS and Apple TV is really bad. like there's no way to add a series to your watchlist and it has no way to remember what you've seen. you need to remember what the last episode you saw was every loving time you start watching again.

shomi knows what you've watched but it has no idea what to do with that information

you just finished watching: dogman season 2 episode 5

you might enjoy:

the fireplace channel
dogman season 2 episode 9
dogman season 1 episode 17
dogman season 2 episode 4
dog the bounty hunter
punjabi quilting for the ages
dogman season 2 episode 8

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

SO DEMANDING posted:

maybe someday netflix et al will get the crusty old media companies to gently caress off with this bullshit
some netflix chucklefuck already said that's their goal in the long run. in like france or somewhere they literally can't even show house of cards because they gave someone else several years of exclusive licence before they launched there lol

in the mean time though they've also just recently started trying to crack down on people vpning into the usa when they'd p much tolerated it previously. i'd lomarf if it turns it's some lame attempt at appeasing the copyright industry in the hopes of better terms when licences are renewed but that it doesn't end up working

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
house of cards got really bad anyway

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

house of cards got really bad anyway

once they ran out of source material from the uk show this was inevitable

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
lol season 4 is coming soon and they've already committed to a 5th

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

jony ive aces posted:

lol season 4 is coming soon and they've already committed to a 5th

That means the 4th season is going to be awful because you already know that the house of cards isn't going to fall down in that season.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
benefits of torrenting - licence issues aren't

piracy communities are also friendly people

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echi we dont need your racism and copyright infringement in yospos anymore

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im the garbage clown you deserve, not the one you need

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
the reason for this exclusivity mess is that the streaming sites are owned by the content providers

you saw the same thing happen back when the movie studios (directly) owned the theaters

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
i pirate tv shows because there is no easy way to stream new episodes

either i have to wait a year for it to show up on netflix, or i have to hope that the network lets me stream it if i give them some weird info about my cable provider that i don't know, and the idea of committing crimes sounds infinitely better to me than calling up verizon support

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

qirex posted:

no what netflix needs is to stop asking you what profile you want to use when you only have one loving profile

gee I wonder who's watching hmmm

forever alone

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

smart dns with netflix is all that makes it worth paying for, except that then you're connected to CDNs halfway around the world and need to watch in SD :( maybe the smart dns should be smarter

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

computer parts posted:

the reason for this exclusivity mess is that the streaming sites are owned by the content providers

you saw the same thing happen back when the movie studios (directly) owned the theaters

wow i forgot that was even a thing

cineplex vs. famous players lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Space-Pope posted:

i pirate tv shows because there is no easy way to stream new episodes

either i have to wait a year for it to show up on netflix, or i have to hope that the network lets me stream it if i give them some weird info about my cable provider that i don't know, and the idea of committing crimes sounds infinitely better to me than calling up verizon support

even when you give them the cable provider info, you will need to use a different lovely app for each channel that has some episodes of some shows for some span of time. total clusterfuck

• Locked thread