Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
read the lrb article on assange if you want to find out what a werdo and a creep he is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The dissenting opinion from the un working group is real good and condescending to the rest of the participants. It's by a Ukrainian lawyer I thibk

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Ukrainian you say...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you for pointing me at the lrb thing.

quote:

There was this incredible need for spy-talk. Julian would often refer to the places where he lived as ‘safe houses’ and say things like, ‘When you go to Queensland there’s a contact there you should speak to.’

‘You mean a friend?’ I’d say.

‘No. It’s more complicated than that.’ He appeared to like the notion that he was being pursued and the tendency was only complicated by the fact that there were real pursuers. But the pursuit was never as grave as he wanted it to be. He stuck to his Cold War tropes, where one didn’t deliver a package, but made a ‘drop off’. One day, we were due to meet some of the WikiLeaks staff at a farmhouse out towards Lowestoft. We went in my car. Julian was especially edgy that afternoon, feeling perhaps that the walls were closing in, as we bumped down one of those flat roads covered in muck left by tractors’ tyres. ‘Quick, quick,’ he said, ‘go left. We’re being followed!’ I looked in the rear-view mirror and could see a white Mondeo with a wire sticking out the back.

‘Don’t be daft, Julian,’ I said. ‘That’s a taxi.’

‘No. Listen to me. It’s surveillance. We’re being followed. Quickly go left.’ Just by comical chance, as I was rocking a Sweeney-style handbrake turn, the car behind us suddenly stopped at a farmhouse gate and a little boy jumped out and ran up the path. I looked at the clock as we rolled off in a cloud of dust. It said 3.48.

‘That was a kid being delivered home from school,’ I said. ‘You’re mental.’

‘You don’t understand,’ he said.

lmbo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
assange was a bitch who was in it for himself and the un is trash.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
here's the article being referred to above

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n05/andrew-ohagan/ghosting

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A Pinball Wizard posted:

they consented to sex with a condom, he flashed them a chicken flavored ramen packet, then refused to get tested for stds so the ladies went to the cops

i want this to be true

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the actual story in the court documents is that she consented to sex with a condom, which then happened, and then the morning after he put it in in the raw while she was still asleep

while a sort of serious matter it is certainly an innocent-until-proven-guilty sort of thing, where it is clear that he should get no special procedural consideration just because he has the contacts needed to get to hide in an embassy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
raw af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
finally got around to finishing reading the lrb thing

quote:

‘We might try both. We might try this method and an injunction,’ he said. But I knew this would require more effort than he was ever going to put in. His default position was to let the whole thing run out of control and then get into a Twitter war with the parties afterwards.

‘If you don’t do this marking,’ I said, ‘and if you disappear into your bubble, there is nothing we can do to fix this. They will publish the book as it is.’

‘Okay,’ he said. ‘I agree.’ He then did nothing and made no marks to the manuscript.
lomarf

• Locked thread