Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I wish there'd been more of the Crimson Demons' manic lunacy and that they hadn't included the Sylvia has a boner lol thing but I laughed a lot and I hope there's more where that came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think they really did Sylvia better than the drat novel did.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Mokinokaro posted:

And the romantic tension between him and Darkness that exists is pretty one sided.

Nah it's two sided, but mostly because Kazuma is a red-blooded male and has to really fight to say "no" when Darkness is basically flinging it at him wholesale.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
really solid movie. it's a bit of the bummer that some gags had to be cut for time (the flower bit was something i was really hoping to see animated), but the amount of love that the entire creative team put into this really shined through. the intro gag where kazuma turns to the camera and smirks after yunyun approaches him brought down the whole theater. it was a really simple gag, but the way it spoke to the character and the overall execution was fantastic

this being the first bit i read in the light novels before seeing it animated, it really struck home how much i prefer the amount of character this voice acting cast puts into their roles and the small sight gags that get inserted into the background. it strange how the novels have roughly the same gags, but somehow feels much flat and tell instead of show

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
So everyones talking about the movie, but i dont see anything on the intarwebs? Are all of you seeing it in movie theathers or something?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Captain_duck posted:

So everyones talking about the movie, but i dont see anything on the intarwebs? Are all of you seeing it in movie theathers or something?

Yeah, they screened it with subtitles in the US and Canada.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Vengarr posted:

Yeah, they screened it with subtitles in the US and Canada.

Aha, thanks.

I just checked if it's going to be screened somewhere in the Netherlands, but nothing. Guess i just gotta wait until DVD release.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

To confirm, Hans was skipped in the anime right? They all talked about him and how he was defeated but I have absolutely no memory of that.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

To confirm, Hans was skipped in the anime right? They all talked about him and how he was defeated but I have absolutely no memory of that.

They dealt with him at the end of season 2.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

You don't remember the big finale with Kazuma getting dissolved in the big slime on purpose?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

As someone who is caught up with the novels: Kazuma needs to cast Magic Missile on the Darkness, I will not be accepting criticism of this.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

SpazmasterX posted:

Nah it's two sided, but mostly because Kazuma is a red-blooded male and has to really fight to say "no" when Darkness is basically flinging it at him wholesale.

Megumin said it correctly in the movie. Kazuma, for all his pomp and bluster, becomes a timid coward when actually called on it. In the future novels, it happens over and over to the point where they realize that and do it on purpose just to make him squirm.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
As someone who has generally not watched anime socially outside of with maybe other one other person at a time, seeing a movie like this in a theater (that actually had people in it!) was really, really weird.

It also is probably the first anime movie I've seen in a theater that wasn't bad spinoff dreck (Pokemon, Dragonball) or relatively-fun-for-the-whole-family (Miyazaki)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Hey goons, just popping in to say I've watched season 1 of KonoSuba and thought it was good and funny.* Hope season 2 gets dubbed soon.

*Except for Episode 11 which I thought had the main dude be way too sleezy than he normally is and felt real weird from a story-angle considering how episode 10 ends.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

OhFunny posted:

Hey goons, just popping in to say I've watched season 1 of KonoSuba and thought it was good and funny.* Hope season 2 gets dubbed soon.

*Except for Episode 11 which I thought had the main dude be way too sleezy than he normally is and felt real weird from a story-angle considering how episode 10 ends.

I think that one is the OVA and not actually part of the first season.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It is the OVA and OVAs on fanservicey shows like to push the envelope a bit as they usually don't air on TV.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Watch Season 2 even if it isnt dubbed yet! Its head and shoulders above season 1 imo and even the sexy but unnessicary OVA is better

Warning: My opinion is a bit biased because I like Darkness the best and she gets several good scenes and a bit of character focus in S2

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Meme Emulator posted:

Watch Season 2 even if it isnt dubbed yet! Its head and shoulders above season 1 imo and even the sexy but unnessicary OVA is better

Warning: My opinion is a bit biased because I like Darkness the best and she gets several good scenes and a bit of character focus in S2

I'll vouch for this, the final arc of the season is so loving good.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Protokahn/status/1195816682624675840

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/AVARY/status/1196117244134096896

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

sirtommygunn posted:

They dealt with him at the end of season 2.

Lurking Haro posted:

You don't remember the big finale with Kazuma getting dissolved in the big slime on purpose?
That was Hans?? For some reason I remember the slime monster vividly but I have no memory of the character Hans. Weird.
He's absolutely right.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

That was Hans?? For some reason I remember the slime monster vividly but I have no memory of the character Hans. Weird.

Mostly you just see him in town freaking out due to dealing with the aqua cult for so long.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just finished seeing the movie and it was really fun.

I am gonna miss Sylvia...

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah. She and the crimson demons fun enough that I wish we'd had a season
of them instead of a movie but glad to see then animated at all.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The novels have more than one trip to visit them, so hold out hope for another movie or season for more animated chuunibyo(sp?)

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Konosuba Movie Spoilers

I really sorta wish Sylvia went down after the magical railgun shot, the fanservicey parts of Beldia, Wiz, Vanir and Hans getting into the fight really didnt do anything for me and they could have spent that time on funny stuff earlier in the movie instead

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Meme Emulator posted:

Konosuba Movie Spoilers

I really sorta wish Sylvia went down after the magical railgun shot, the fanservicey parts of Beldia, Wiz, Vanir and Hans getting into the fight really didnt do anything for me and they could have spent that time on funny stuff earlier in the movie instead

I agree.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I enjoyed watching it but it definitely wasn't necessary. It also felt like a retread of the end of S2.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It was worth it to give Sylvia just a smidge more time. When I read the novel it felt like she was introduced and taken care of in pretty short order.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
To be fair, all the big bads get taken pretty much as soon as they appear.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Tonight was the UK screening of the movie and seeing my favourite dumb idiots again was exactly what I needed to distract from thoughts of a bad election result today.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I finally read the Dust spinoffs. They’re just “okay”. Dust is Kazuma without any charisma or audience sympathy, so it’s not as funny watching him get dunked on.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Starsnostars posted:

Tonight was the UK screening of the movie and seeing my favourite dumb idiots again was exactly what I needed to distract from thoughts of a bad election result today.
My screening and apparently a bunch of others got cancelled because the cinemas weren't able to get the film running.
Personally I feel this experience was more true to the series.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Vengarr posted:

I finally read the Dust spinoffs. They’re just “okay”. Dust is Kazuma without any charisma or audience sympathy, so it’s not as funny watching him get dunked on.

Yeah. The Megumin prequels are worth reading though if you love the Crimson Demons.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-02-16/crunchyroll-adds-english-dub-of-konosuba-season-2-anime-on-february-25/.156507

Season 2 dub coming in 9 days.

Spittin Wheelie
Nov 4, 2005

Spittin is a nasty habbit...
I just discovered this series and after watching the first few episodes it seems really fun! I would like to see a bit more action mixed in with the comedy though. Does that aspect pick up at all or should I temper my expectations?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This show is very much comedy first and action a distant second.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The end of each season tends to have a “let’s get serious” action moment.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Since I wasn't able to see it in theaters, what are my options to see the movie now? Legitimate means only obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

SolarFire2 posted:

Since I wasn't able to see it in theaters, what are my options to see the movie now? Legitimate means only obviously.

Legitimately pirate it. Or wait until March 25, 2020, at which point the Japanese blu-ray goes on sale. There is currently no information about a localized release, but I assume it will eventually get picked up by somebody this year.