Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

I love the over the top executions. Like you could just do a quick thrust into the guy's chest, but nope, gotta impale my sword up to the hilt in his skull and make sure it's stuck in good and proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Ulvirich posted:

I love the over the top executions. Like you could just do a quick thrust into the guy's chest, but nope, gotta impale my sword up to the hilt in his skull and make sure it's stuck in good and proper.

They're pretty fun to watch, and I'm glad there's so many of them.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
I think I saw this game going cheap as a second-hand game. Is it worth purchasing?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Gideon020 posted:

I think I saw this game going cheap as a second-hand game. Is it worth purchasing?

Honestly, I want to say yes. It should be 10 or less dollars by now, it's got around 35 levels, and it's hilarious and charming.

It has some neat game mechanics, but it is very repetitive, so you may want to take that into consideration.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Gideon020 posted:

For less than 4€ right now in Steam, probably yes.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Fat Samurai posted:

For less than 4€ right now in Steam, probably yes.

Wow really? Yes, go buy it right now. Seriously.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

To victory, princessa!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Esteban's surly expression continues to be the best. "What, this rear end in a top hat again? Alright..."

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Esteban's surly expression continues to be the best. "What, this rear end in a top hat again? Alright..."

Esteban generally treats Flandre like poo poo throughout the whole game, it's pretty great.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

This game has a certain something that wasn't present in that previous game you were playing. The one with the incredibly difficult cover shooter encounters, and you had a futuristic scuba suit. Maybe it's the apparent lack of tedium, or frustration over awful encounters.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Ulvirich posted:

This game has a certain something that wasn't present in that previous game you were playing. The one with the incredibly difficult cover shooter encounters, and you had a futuristic scuba suit. Maybe it's the apparent lack of tedium, or frustration over awful encounters.

I'm glad to be playing something I actually love, that's for sure.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Esteban is really selling this for me.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Episode Six: The In-Progress Comedy Roast! Fun Times Interrupted By A Dark Form And Buried Memories!?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Episode Six: The In-Progress Comedy Roast! Fun Times Interrupted By A Dark Form And Buried Memories!?

Not enough references to Demon Lords in this title but a good showing nevertheless.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

This is getting more and more ridiculous. My favourite is Esteban claiming his hands are on fire while releasing what seems to be dry ice effect :allears:

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Jamison Price as... a wooden door infused with a soul of the damned. And is our buddy boy templar Artanis from Starcraft?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Denz, your Hadoken form sucks. Why, you keep trying different methods of shooting fire when it's obvious that you just need to will it into existence given that it's active even when you are trying to choose which way to move your arms is Anime enough.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

berryjon posted:

Denz, your Hadoken form sucks. Why, you keep trying different methods of shooting fire when it's obvious that you just need to will it into existence given that it's active even when you are trying to choose which way to move your arms is Anime enough.

Denz is a badass. He can have a heartfelt conversation with his dad while battlin' ghost skeletons. He can shoot fire beams at Death and win. He's got demon horns growing out of his eyebrows (which is my favourite design element of this game, incidentally).

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think this game is precisely the right amount of anime, so far.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe you crossed the streams. No wonder you're damned with superpowers.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

How old are you when the curse first start appearing? Does it happen to children? Does the curse wait until they are old enough to have offspring so it can live on? What happens if some random peasant just suddenly thinks everything is on fire and then he gets killed by "death" for no apparent reason?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

You need to be old enough that your eyebrows start sprouting those gross, long hairs. That's how the horns start, you know!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I'm seriously overjoyed that this many people are finding Cursed Crusade as charming as I had.

Poil posted:

How old are you when the curse first start appearing? Does it happen to children? Does the curse wait until they are old enough to have offspring so it can live on? What happens if some random peasant just suddenly thinks everything is on fire and then he gets killed by "death" for no apparent reason?

In-universe, I think the answer to that last question is they just randomly drop dead.

Night10194 posted:

I think this game is precisely the right amount of anime, so far.

It's a gradual build into maximum potential.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GamesAreSupernice posted:

In-universe, I think the answer to that last question is they just randomly drop dead.

And goes to hell, don't forget that bit. I think God was feeling a bit Old Testament/Cursed Unto The 7th Generation when he made this one.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Our characters are surprisingly nonchalant about an eternal damnation.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Fat Samurai posted:

Our characters are surprisingly nonchalant about an eternal damnation.

It's easier to face eternal hell when you know someone else is going with you.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Also if what we've seen so far is any indication the forces of Hell are kind of chumps.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Sindai posted:

Also if what we've seen so far is any indication the forces of Hell are kind of chumps.

We will eventually (much much later) combat greater foes. Kinda.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Sindai posted:

Well, if Dante's Inferno has taught me anything is that Death is a nerd, and that you stand a better chance punching it really hard rather than challenging it to a game of chess.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Death is a goon using everything he learned from videogames and tabletop RPGs to try and be the cool guy.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Episode 7: Esteban's Misbehavior! A Foul Mouth and Angry Fist Spark The Journey to A Deadly Tower!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wait, this is the 4th Crusade and we're getting tricked by Venetians into attacking business rivals and such...

This game is going to culminate in the sack of Constantinople, isn't it?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Night10194 posted:

Wait, this is the 4th Crusade and we're getting tricked by Venetians into attacking business rivals and such...

This game is going to culminate in the sack of Constantinople, isn't it?

The game follows the historical outline of the Fourth Crusade location by location, but the details behind what happens at Constantinople (from this game's perspective) are crazier than you could imagine.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

:lol: You stabbed a man through your shield, while his face phased through it and of course, basically up to the hilt. I did notice the pair get some new plate armor, is that story driven, or the player buying the armor?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Ulvirich posted:

:lol: You stabbed a man through your shield, while his face phased through it and of course, basically up to the hilt. I did notice the pair get some new plate armor, is that story driven, or the player buying the armor?

The armor system is weird.

The exact armor you receive is story-driven, always. But, how much of said armor you receive is determined by how much you've upgraded your armor stat (which I have upgraded all the way).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

"Maybe if you hadn't hit that captain in the face during lunch and questioned the honor of his mother,"

The master of diplomacy.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Poil posted:

"Maybe if you hadn't hit that captain in the face during lunch and questioned the honor of his mother,"

The master of diplomacy.

Esteban is basically a big child.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Hey, Dandalo! I know that guy from Civilization V.

How much of this stuff is historically accurate? I'm assuming the anime stuff is an embellishment, but did the Crusaders really have to pimp themselves out just to reach the Holy Land?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Quiet Python posted:

How much of this stuff is historically accurate? I'm assuming the anime stuff is an embellishment, but did the Crusaders really have to pimp themselves out just to reach the Holy Land?

They didn't even make it that far. Fourth Crusade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Quiet Python posted:

Almost everything told through the interludes actually happened. The Fourth Crusade is infamous for basically turning the templars into mercenaries and thieves.

• Locked thread