Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Episode 13: The Climactic Battle With A Twisted Emperor! What Is The World's True Heart!?

Lord Whatshisname is invoking Garrosh Hellscream from World of Warcraft. Sounds a lot like the guy.

Edit: :captainpop: What the gently caress, the anime scene is a hell of a lot like Garrosh's voice clips in his boss encounter. Even this game's boss encounter is like the one in WoW.

Edit2: The boss fight in WoW has three phases; a more or less normal phase with adds that come from the sides, and alternating normal and dreamscape phases.

Ulvirich fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Feb 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
Recorded almost the entire rest of the game in one sitting, expect a lot of videos in the next few days.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Constantinople is already dead and there is nothing you or anyone else can do to stop this

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
That sword Denz has in the opening cutscene sure is Final Fantasy-sized. :staredog: Is that this game's idea of a greatsword?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It could be ceremonial or just to look impressive. Look at my sword be mighty and despair!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Aithon posted:

That sword Denz has in the opening cutscene sure is Final Fantasy-sized. :staredog: Is that this game's idea of a greatsword?

It is for bashing, not slicing.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

It is for bashing, not slicing.

Now I see why swords here are decently good against armour. :v:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I just want to say that I appreciate the effort you're putting into these silly anime episode titles.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lotish posted:

I just want to say that I appreciate the effort you're putting into these silly anime episode titles.

Thanks, they come from my soul.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Thanks, they come from my soul.

Which you search in order to knock down walls and set trebuchets on fire?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Night10194 posted:

Which you search in order to knock down walls and set trebuchets on fire?

In modern times it's a little less wild west. Gotta make sure everything's in order before you turn on the furnace, or you accidentally kickstart the apocalypse and get shunned like that War guy.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Episode 16: A Warrior From Heaven!? Fear The Wrath of God's Soldier!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Of course you'd have to fight crazy viking Varangians. Of course. :allears:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Of course you'd have to fight crazy viking Varangians. Of course. :allears:
Were you expecting anything less from this game? :v:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Well, what else did you think you'd find in Constantinople?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UznVH-lSATA

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I had hoped, but I wasn't quite sure it'd happen.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Episode 17: A Strange Ailment Befalls Our Heroes! Esteban's Startling Transformation Into A Cow!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

From what I've seen of El-Shaddai, while it takes a lot of liberties it's actually pretty rooted in the Book of the Watchers and other apocrypha.

It's also awesome. It's a game where I'd say it's more artistic interpretation and telling the story they want to tell than ignorance of the source material.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Episode 18: 300 References

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Night10194 posted:

From what I've seen of El-Shaddai, while it takes a lot of liberties it's actually pretty rooted in the Book of the Watchers and other apocrypha.

It's also awesome. It's a game where I'd say it's more artistic interpretation and telling the story they want to tell than ignorance of the source material.

Are you talking about El-Shaddai or this game?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Are you talking about El-Shaddai or this game?

El-Shaddai, since it came up in the video. Mostly, I'm just kinda impressed a Japanese studio knew about the Book of the Parables of Enoch at all.

Though I'm also sorta surprised this game exists, too. The Fourth Crusade is not really where I'd have gone first for an anime and I suspect that's what keeps me watching. I mean, I know historically they'll never get to Jerusalem and that the crusade mostly involves the Venetians trying to use it to destroy their long-time rivals in Constantinople so I'm kinda curious where they're going with all this.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Episode 18: 300 References

So, not only do they make that reference, but they also have Estaban point it out. Estaban is truly the best character in the game. :allears:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Night10194 posted:

El-Shaddai, since it came up in the video. Mostly, I'm just kinda impressed a Japanese studio knew about the Book of the Parables of Enoch at all.

Though I'm also sorta surprised this game exists, too. The Fourth Crusade is not really where I'd have gone first for an anime and I suspect that's what keeps me watching. I mean, I know historically they'll never get to Jerusalem and that the crusade mostly involves the Venetians trying to use it to destroy their long-time rivals in Constantinople so I'm kinda curious where they're going with all this.

Oh man are you gonna love where this ends up.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Episode 19: The Coward, Murzuphle! The Barbaric Curse Knows No Sympathy!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Welp, looks like I caught up with this thread with at least a little time before the exciting conclusion. I'll laugh if there wind up being 26 episodes for a reason other than GamesAreSupernice fudging it that way, though.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

FredMSloniker posted:

Welp, looks like I caught up with this thread with at least a little time before the exciting conclusion. I'll laugh if there wind up being 26 episodes for a reason other than GamesAreSupernice fudging it that way, though.

The BIG REVEAL is still yet to come, so you've got plenty of time.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Episode 20: At Last, The Confrontation With Evil! Fight On Through Hell!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So we beat the boss only to then lose in a cutscene. Good grief.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nice try Esteban, very subtle. :allears:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Poil posted:

Nice try Esteban, very subtle. :allears:

I like that he goes through the trouble of picking it up silently, and then loudly announces himself throwing it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

I like that he goes through the trouble of picking it up silently, and then loudly announces himself throwing it.

What kind of hot-blooded protagonist would he be if he didn't announce his attacks? :anime:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Esteban is the hero this game needs. :allears:

Also you gotta wonder if there's some kinda super sacrilege in using the Spear of Destiny as a throwing knife.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 3, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Episode 21: Another Trip To Hell! Can Death Be Beaten Thrice!?

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
Amazing tabard physics at the end there.

Railtus
Apr 8, 2011

daz nu bi unseren tagen
selch vreude niemer werden mac
der man ze den ziten pflac
One detail I really like is Denz & Esteban's developing relationship, and the shift in the roles between them. At the start of the game, Denz was taking the lead and guiding Esteban through the Curse and the strange events. Now Esteban is pointing out the objectives to Denz and leading him out of the Curse in this level. There's a definite shift in roles between them now, where he's gradually become over the game less of a sidekick and more of an equal/partner.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Man Dancer posted:

Amazing tabard physics at the end there.

Tabardiculous.

Railtus posted:

One detail I really like is Denz & Esteban's developing relationship, and the shift in the roles between them. At the start of the game, Denz was taking the lead and guiding Esteban through the Curse and the strange events. Now Esteban is pointing out the objectives to Denz and leading him out of the Curse in this level. There's a definite shift in roles between them now, where he's gradually become over the game less of a sidekick and more of an equal/partner.

The things you pointed out become even more apparent from here.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Tabartacular.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

So uh, my game capture is busted, but I should still be able to upload another episode I already have to soften the wait before I get a replacement.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Episode 22: Esteban's Lucky Star! Can Our Heroes Escape The Devil!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Esteban is still the true hero of this game.

• Locked thread