Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
Game capture should arrive soon, which means we will be able to finally finish Esteban and Denz's incredible adventures. Prolly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Episode 23: A Violent Storm! Our Heroes Help Turn The Tide!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I recently stumbled on this, and as you've noted it's good to see the designers be so earnest about their product. But while the atmosphere is pretty cool and the gameplay is at least decent, it's kind of shocking to notice that this game is technically shoddy. The screen tears on every update, objects/characters will sometimes pop in or out at the edge of cutscenes, and the cutscene direction itself leaves something to be desired. If only Kylotonn had more resources to polish things up...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really liked that the guy they saved at the end didn't just suddenly turn around and trust them completely because... protagonists.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

NGDBSS posted:

I recently stumbled on this, and as you've noted it's good to see the designers be so earnest about their product. But while the atmosphere is pretty cool and the gameplay is at least decent, it's kind of shocking to notice that this game is technically shoddy. The screen tears on every update, objects/characters will sometimes pop in or out at the edge of cutscenes, and the cutscene direction itself leaves something to be desired. If only Kylotonn had more resources to polish things up...

Yeah, it's definitely a shame. The audio can also be pretty lackluster.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I mean Denz and Esteban always had their own agenda. Why are we taking the high ground on this? The Crusades were pretty transparently bloodthirsty affairs that were validated by the Pope at the time.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The period I spend waiting for videos to upload is torture-some.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Episode 24: Protect the Golden Angel! Rush To Victory!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

We finally beat this guy, again. So let's turn our backs and ignore him for a minute. Oops he got away. :downs:

:bang:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Poil posted:

We finally beat this guy, again. So let's turn our backs and ignore him for a minute. Oops he got away. :downs:

:bang:

It's not like he was ever a threat anyway.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

GamesAreSupernice posted:

It's not like he was ever a threat anyway.
Not in combat no. But he seems like the guy you underestimate and then he suddenly bumbles his way into ruining something important or loving up catastrophically or just plain causing a lot of inconveniences.

If nothing else, you really don't want that kind of rear end in a top hat to loot and pillage the city and killing him would save a lot of people a lot of suffering.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Poil posted:

Not in combat no. But he seems like the guy you underestimate and then he suddenly bumbles his way into ruining something important or loving up catastrophically or just plain causing a lot of inconveniences.

If nothing else, you really don't want that kind of rear end in a top hat to loot and pillage the city and killing him would save a lot of people a lot of suffering.

But what if he brings order to the chaos. Y'know, like Anakin.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

GamesAreSupernice posted:

But what if he brings order to the chaos. Y'know, like Anakin.
Bringing balance to the... faith?

But he is more dignified than Anakin ever was. :v:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

This is it guys. Enjoy the ending!

Episode 25: A Portal Between Worlds!? Hell Draws Near!
Episode 26: Farewell, Our Brave Warriors! A Life Without Regret!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

It looks like the developers were overly optimistic in constructing sequel hooks at the end. I'm guessing that (given the reviews at the time) that the game didn't sell well, and in addition as a publisher I'd be wary of giving the same team money to fund something if their technical skills clearly weren't the best (see the hilarious bouncing chandeliers). According to their own website they've worked on 20 games for 48 publishers, which most likely means that they've had to wander from publisher to publisher without long-term contracts for most if not all of their existence. And now they're looking to get into racing games, so...

But as for the game, like I said before it would almost certainly have been better if Kylotonn had the capacity to polish things up. I'm guessing that, going back to the above, that their publishers had put them on something of a short leash and weren't inclined to trust them with too much money. And as a result we got something of a budget title.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

NGDBSS posted:

It looks like the developers were overly optimistic in constructing sequel hooks at the end. I'm guessing that (given the reviews at the time) that the game didn't sell well, and in addition as a publisher I'd be wary of giving the same team money to fund something if their technical skills clearly weren't the best (see the hilarious bouncing chandeliers). According to their own website they've worked on 20 games for 48 publishers, which most likely means that they've had to wander from publisher to publisher without long-term contracts for most if not all of their existence. And now they're looking to get into racing games, so...

But as for the game, like I said before it would almost certainly have been better if Kylotonn had the capacity to polish things up. I'm guessing that, going back to the above, that their publishers had put them on something of a short leash and weren't inclined to trust them with too much money. And as a result we got something of a budget title.

Pretty sure we're looking at a classic "we ran out of time and money to make the" ending.

It was an interesting kind of fun while it lasted, though.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Pretty sure we're looking at a classic "we ran out of time and money to make the" ending.

Yeah, the plot kinda fell apart. Like, we apparently just let the big bad... wander off? Again? And gave up on a cure for Reasons? (I mean, 'because we still need the power to kill things' is a valid reason, if the sort that leads to tragedy, but the one they state is 'we need to fix this mess with the family legacy first', which they... really don't.

I am glad that the last boss battle wasn't a ballista-firing minigame, though. It looked like it was going to be for a second.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I feel like that was the intended ending and they just didn't know what they were doing

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I can only assume that Jean and the bad guy kiss after the smash cut.

Finally, true love conquers the curse once and for all.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Skippy Granola posted:

I can only assume that Jean and the bad guy kiss after the smash cut.

Finally, true love conquers the curse once and for all.

That's deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe the curse isn't strong enough to overcome the holiness of holy places, but whathisname bad guy is with the relics and the big demons are the only demons who can? Who knows?

• Locked thread