Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

luxury handset posted:

i'm plus one on the idea that land use patterns oriented around mass ownership of personal vehicles will never, ever be environmentally sustainable and so electric cars are at best a stopgap and at worst greenwashing overconsumption of land
The extent to which the US takes car ownership is a ridiculous extreme, but something more along the lines of Japan or the Netherlands seems like it'd be okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Paul F Tompkins voice: "WHAT THE gently caress"

https://www.slashgear.com/ring-always-home-cam-is-a-flying-security-drone-24639740/

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

"Yeah, I've seen all those movies where the guy dodges the lasers and cameras... ya'll have anything that moves around the place like a guard, but on the cheap?"

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

packetmantis posted:

How much are they paying you for each one of these posts?

plenty.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Squalid should be forced to read every page of the CSPAM Musk thread.

I'm actually planning on going there next. I'm working my way through all of the musk threads right now like i'm in a fighting game. I started on lovely youtube comment sections, then I worked up to the stock gambling thread, now I'm here, and C-Spam is the final boss. I'm trying to test my ideas in progressively more hostile environments to make sure I'm getting direct and honest feedback. Somebody quote this there I'm sure they'll love it.

But for real, tesla does not have bad balance sheets. Tesla is a company that is increasing sales something like 30-40% per year and you don't do that without spending a lot of money. Like I know there's some of you who believe Tesla's balance sheets are rife with fraud and their recent profits are an illusion, so maybe somebody could break down that argument for me?

luxury handset posted:

yeah, i agreed with the earlier point about luxury electric vehicles being a lifestyle brand for tech nerds who want to save the world through more ethical consumption

that in itself is a remarkable achievement. A lifestyle brand that can utterly dominate markets while spending zero dollars on advertising? What kind of luxury product does that? Oh and in case you missed Tesla's recent announcement regarding their future battery technology, their cars are about to all get significantly cheaper.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Squalid posted:

But for real, tesla does not have bad balance sheets. Tesla is a company that is increasing sales something like 30-40% per year and you don't do that without spending a lot of money. Like I know there's some of you who believe Tesla's balance sheets are rife with fraud and their recent profits are an illusion, so maybe somebody could break down that argument for me?

you can do pages and pages of analysis of their financials, but my preferred metric is "tesla cannot actually keep a general counsel": they lost three in one year: https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2019-12-12/tesla-general-counsel

being general counsel for a company like tesla is a loving sweet-rear end, pinnacle of your career level gig. you get paid out the rear end, and don't actually need to go out and get clients and schmooze and poo poo like law firm partners who get paid out the rear end as well (but less, probably): people schmooze you. and for any hard work, you dangle it in front of one of those people schmoozing you until one of them coughs up the precise playoff tickets you wanted. or something minorly illegal and much more unethical, who knows. but basically, your job is mostly getting paid handsomely to pay other people handsomely to do your work.

but every general counsel tesla gets somehow immediately finds that what their actual life goal is involves rapidly leaving tesla and getting a new job, any job, somewhere else. which matches, say, looking at what's going on and realizing that when it comes crashing down the feds are going to be asking some hard questions of general counsel, questions that might involve some potential of hard time.

that's enough for me to go "boy, i sure wouldn't want to own any tesla stock" and to idly wonder if i know any large tesla bondholders who will need counsel when it all blows up

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 24, 2020

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Squalid posted:

You seem to make a claim about a number, back off of them when challenged and then present some other number. Your analysis is facile, bordering on gish gallop. You start from some number (representing tesla only) and then wax poetic or imply why that number means something good, but never put it in context of other manufacturers or why that number is the one that matters.

You talk about increasing sales by 30-40% without spending lots of money, but also not spending a lot on advertising. Which is it? How is the growth being funded?

30% of what? 4 people this year instead of 3 last is 33%.

You may think you're upping your game, but your clearly not interested in real analysis. You're going to get 'lol elon sucks' from CSPAM because it is obvious you're not interested in being convinced of much.

E: These questions are rhetorical.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Squalid posted:

that in itself is a remarkable achievement. A lifestyle brand that can utterly dominate markets while spending zero dollars on advertising? What kind of luxury product does that? Oh and in case you missed Tesla's recent announcement regarding their future battery technology, their cars are about to all get significantly cheaper.

i think we can count elon musk's fines to the FEC as tesla advertising. tesla also gets all kinds of free advertising from fawning tech journalism that's is often little more than uncritical PR boosting to a fascinated audience. the burger flipping robot company doesn't have to pay for all the press they get about how this silly arm device is going to be useful to someone, someday (please buy our product)

really, a lot of luxury products are like this. the mystique of the brand and word of mouth drives the product. when you say "what kind of luxury product does that" i mean... lots of them?

really though this is a red herring, that tesla does well in the american EV market doesn't really mean much. that's a small market, still drowned out by the amount of trucks and crossovers sold. it's like being the best rugby team in the american midwest. ok, cool, and? you responded to my post about how teslas are just conspicuous consumption for the vacantly ecological but you didn't respond to my argument, you only spun off further irrelevant arguments

it doesn't really matter how cheap teslas get, a lot of folks have no desire or capability to own an electric car, and a lot of the tesla feature set is just wild gimmicks, particularly the rolling liability that is "autopilot"

gotta agree with the posters above me that it really seems like you're just looking to get into internet fistfights, and i don't think elon musk is the best maiden for you to champion here

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
now that i think about it, the legions of musk fanboys who rave in nervous excitement about one day living on mars ARE the tesla advertising team. if you've got fervent support like that posting in every comment section, then yeah you don't need to run tv spots

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Squalid posted:

I started on lovely youtube comment sections, then I worked up to the stock gambling thread, now I'm here, and C-Spam is the final boss.

I get that you think you're being clever and funny here, but it's super obvious you're not interested in either discussing this or convincing anyone. There is, from the looks of how you're posting, no evidence that will be able to convince you that you're wrong; if I'm wrong and there is, please suggest it. We'll go looking and see what we find.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Squalid how do you feel about Musk winning the defamation case despite him 100 percent being guilty?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Boot and Rally posted:

You seem to make a claim about a number, back off of them when challenged and then present some other number. Your analysis is facile, bordering on gish gallop. You start from some number (representing tesla only) and then wax poetic or imply why that number means something good, but never put it in context of other manufacturers or why that number is the one that matters.

You talk about increasing sales by 30-40% without spending lots of money, but also not spending a lot on advertising. Which is it? How is the growth being funded?

30% of what? 4 people this year instead of 3 last is 33%.

You may think you're upping your game, but your clearly not interested in real analysis. You're going to get 'lol elon sucks' from CSPAM because it is obvious you're not interested in being convinced of much.

E: These questions are rhetorical.

What. I don't do technical analysis just like i don't do industrial engineering. I am not a finance guy. Which is why I quote figures and stuff from real finance people instead. Tesla's operating profit is lower than Toyota's which is not surprising, but the fact that it is in the same ballpark as companies like Ford is itself a sign that their fundamental business proposition is sound, and the company can reasonably be expect to make money and compete without being subsidized indefinitely by sucker investors. Your rhetorical questions don't make much sense to me. What is Tesla spending money on if not advertising? Uh factories? The growth is funded by investment and sales of products and services. Whatever your rhetorical point is here it is lost on me.

30% of 500,000 is not much true. But there's this little concept of compound interest that might be relevant to a growing business.

I know you want to be done with this argument but if we want to talk about profit, do you think tesla will post another profit this quarter? Because I do.

fake edit: oh look, i just found a website that automatically calculates operating profit for me Tesla's? 5.42%. The reason my numbers were off was because the article i read only used the last quarter, whereas i calculated it for the past 1/2 year. Ford's number was -14.24% but that's worse than I expected, the number for them I saw may have been averaged over a longer time horizon for the Tesla comparison in order to make Ford look less poo poo. Here is the link.

luxury handset posted:

really though this is a red herring, that tesla does well in the american EV market doesn't really mean much. that's a small market, still drowned out by the amount of trucks and crossovers sold. it's like being the best rugby team in the american midwest. ok, cool, and? you responded to my post about how teslas are just conspicuous consumption for the vacantly ecological but you didn't respond to my argument, you only spun off further irrelevant arguments

it doesn't really matter how cheap teslas get, a lot of folks have no desire or capability to own an electric car, and a lot of the tesla feature set is just wild gimmicks, particularly the rolling liability that is "autopilot"

gotta agree with the posters above me that it really seems like you're just looking to get into internet fistfights, and i don't think elon musk is the best maiden for you to champion here

Could you restate the argument I failed to respond to, because I'm not sure what it was. If it's just that its crazy to spend $40,000 on a car I'm with you there buddy, there's no reason to spend more than $15,000 on one imo. But people do it anyway.

I'm not sure why you keep bringing up trucks because it doesn't make legacy automakers look good. Why is it that they are pivoting away from sedans? The answer is obviously because they know they can't compete at all against companies like tesla, and realize they have to amputate those parts of the business to survive. Trucks aren't going to save Ford however. The factory for the cybertruck is going to be operational some time in 2022 and it will instantly be competitive with the F-150 in every respect. It's not just going to be well off professionals buying that. The cost of ownership is going to be low enough that it will be an excellent fleet vehicle for business purposes. If you are putting 60+ miles on a work truck a day electric is going to bring huge cost savings in fuel economy.

What's wrong with the occassional internet fistfight anyway? If you want to hit me, hit me. The only way to insure your ideas are good is to challenge them.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

Squalid how do you feel about Musk winning the defamation case despite him 100 percent being guilty?

i have no idea what you are talking about and could care less about ol' musky's antics. I'm more of a number's guy, i'm not really interested in this kind of celebrity gossip watch.

Somfin posted:

I get that you think you're being clever and funny here, but it's super obvious you're not interested in either discussing this or convincing anyone. There is, from the looks of how you're posting, no evidence that will be able to convince you that you're wrong; if I'm wrong and there is, please suggest it. We'll go looking and see what we find.

Actually if I'm wrong i'd very much like to know. Because I did buy tesla stock. So if you would like to contend that operating profit is not a valid metric to compare businesses, please explain why I am wrong.

Was it you who brought up how Tesla's had big parking lots crammed full of cars that were unsold, and doomed to never be sold? Maybe you could expand on that for me. If Tesla literally can't sell its vehicles that would be quite significant. Not sure how they've managed to be profitable for the last few quarters while not selling anything, but hey help me out here.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

oh god you invested in Tesla stock without any idea how a company could manipulate its profit figures

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Squalid posted:

i have no idea what you are talking about and could care less about ol' musky's antics. I'm more of a number's guy, i'm not really interested in this kind of celebrity gossip watch.

What loving rock do you live under holy poo poo.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Squalid, not content to be a racist troll, is now moving onto new markets by being a techbro troll.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 25, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Squalid posted:

Actually if I'm wrong i'd very much like to know. Because I did buy tesla stock.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Shugojin posted:

"make a good car"

"no"

I know I'm late to this specific comment, but it runs in my mind the Volt and Bolt (maybe the Spark EV too? I haven't heard much about it either way) are the best engineered products GM has made

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Volt is discontinued. Can't have been that good a product if it didn't find any market, while Tesla did.

Sextro posted:

Great for California, hope they install sufficient generation for the water desalination plants.

Electrification of fossil fuels burning things is of course a positive change, but the entire concept of the personal vehicle is inimical to the levels of environmental impact we need to be striving to reach. Ideally not by strip mining what's left of the global south for lithium.

So we're agreeing that Tesla is producing a market-leading product that is ahead of proven loser companies like GM and Ford.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 25, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

So we're agreeing that Tesla is producing a market-leading product that is ahead of proven loser companies like GM and Ford.

Define the market you are talking about please.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

evilweasel posted:

oh god you invested in Tesla stock without any idea how a company could manipulate its profit figures

i'm asking you to explain the specific issue here. Obviously these things can be manipulated. Realistically though if tesla is a flaming dumpster fire of a company there should be smoke. Everybody here is acting like they've seen the smoke and since I haven't, I'd like you to point it out for me.

Speaking of smoke, comparing some of Tesla's financial stats with Ford and christ, it looks like its in dire straights. No wonder nobody wants to lend them money, this looks like a company that is in the process of going out of business.

pre:
                               Dec15	Dec16	Dec17	Dec18	Dec19
Operating Margin %		4.67	3.81	3.11	2.00	0.37
2020 is going to be even worse

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Squalid posted:

i'm asking you to explain the specific issue here. Obviously these things can be manipulated. Realistically though if tesla is a flaming dumpster fire of a company there should be smoke. Everybody here is acting like they've seen the smoke and since I haven't, I'd like you to point it out for me.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/24/tesla-lags-auto-industry-in-quality-finds-new-jd-power-study.html

https://www.hotcars.com/problems-with-tesla-nobody-talks-about/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2019/09/09/more-broken-promises-from-tesla/#2c8df8a2aa0c

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/17/18629166/elon-musk-tesla-money-changes-cfo-employee-expenses

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/24/teslas-stock-is-surging-but-some-analysts-found-real-problems-with-its-earnings-report.html

I mean....we can go on and on.....do you not know how to use google?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Squalid posted:

Where have you been looking? There is a big difference between true believers and rubes in terms of where they look and what they read, but not much in terms of what they say.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Squalid posted:

Could you restate the argument I failed to respond to, because I'm not sure what it was.

it's that fancy electric vehicles are conspicuous consumption for people who think we can consume our way out of ecological disaster

Squalid posted:

I'm not sure why you keep bringing up trucks because it doesn't make legacy automakers look good.

because when it comes to the domestic market, american manufacturers make the trucks and crossovers americans crave. the EV sedan market is and will remain peanuts in the united states

Squalid posted:

Why is it that they are pivoting away from sedans? The answer is obviously because they know they can't compete at all against companies like tesla, and realize they have to amputate those parts of the business to survive.

it's because they can't compete with companies like toyota. tesla is an absolute afterthought

Squalid posted:

The factory for the cybertruck is going to be operational some time in 2022 and it will instantly be competitive with the F-150 in every respect. It's not just going to be well off professionals buying that. The cost of ownership is going to be low enough that it will be an excellent fleet vehicle for business purposes. If you are putting 60+ miles on a work truck a day electric is going to bring huge cost savings in fuel economy.

ok now you've firmly swerved into la la land

Squalid posted:

What's wrong with the occassional internet fistfight anyway? If you want to hit me, hit me. The only way to insure your ideas are good is to challenge them.

i don't even need to hit you, you're over here punching yourself in the nuts

Fame Douglas posted:

comparatively tesla has sold about as many electic vehicles worldwide as nissan. the american plug in EV market is not that big and won't get much bigger so tesla's dominance of this market is not really that impressive when compared to the whole domestic auto market, and when we regard that one of tesla's future growth prospects is *checks notes* self driving taxis, apparently

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 25, 2020

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Somfin posted:

Where have you been looking? There is a big difference between true believers and rubes in terms of where they look and what they read, but not much in terms of what they say.

google news is typically where i search, and sometimes financial news. I also follow several youtube channels focused on EV technology. The Limiting Factor is one I can recommend if you are interested in some of the technological and logistical issues behind electric vehicle adoption and tesla's business. Cost of batteries is one of the primary limits on EV adoption.

Motronic posted:

I mean....we can go on and on.....do you not know how to use google?

So those mostly deal with things I am familiar with. The points about manufacturing quality are real. In fact I believe one of the Sandy Munroe videos I posted deals directly with some of these quality complaints. They haven't seemed to have much effect on demand yet. I do not understand what compels anybody to pay $60,000 for car, I just know that they do.

The other issue you've highlighted is that Tesla was not profitable last year. This is obviously an important metric by which to judge companies, even growth companies. However it's worth pointing out that Tesla has continued to post profitable quarters since these were published. It's a lot easier to argue this was all the result of manipulation by the accountants when your just talking about 1 quarter, but it gets a lot harder when you are saying they did it for four quarters in a row.

ok so i sense two basic arguments here. (1) The first is that you shouldn't buy a tesla. (2)The next is that you don't think the cybertruck is ever going to represent a serious share of new truck sales.(3) The third argument is that the EV market will remain tiny compared to ICE.

As to (1) no argument from here, I don't own a Tesla and have no plans on buying one anytime soon. For (2) cybertruck is going to enter production. The factory is going up right now in Austin. its going to be more expensive than the base model at first, but it's going to be price competitive with higher end models almost immediately. If you want to see a breakdown of cost comparisons I have one for you. I expect a lot of people itt will just dismiss this guy as an Tesla shill but here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnadngwkyNQ

As to (3) I'm not so sure about that. You know it's easy to be cynical about these things but if you look at what regulators, suppliers in the battery market, and investors are saying now they all expect a massive increase in EV adoption and are taking steps to benefit.

https://twitter.com/EnergzdEconomy/status/1308828417014587395?s=20

Morgan Stanley for example predicted in 2018 EVs could represent half of all personal vehicle sales in 2040. Nothing has changed since then that I think would make this prediction too optimistic

https://www.morganstanley.com/ideas/electric-cars-sales-growth.html

quote:

battery electric vehicles’ share of global car sales, which accounts for only a few percentage points today, would rise quickly after 2020, as new products are launched, hitting 9% by 2025 and 16% by 2030. Adoption accelerates further, as the technology improves and consumer acceptance rises, with sales comprising 51% of the market by 2040, says Hendrikse. By 2050, electric car sales could reach a dominant 69% and account for nearly half of all vehicles in operation.

https://www.morganstanley.com/ideas/electric-vehicle-disruption

quote:

According to Adam Jonas, Head of Global Auto & Shared Mobility for Morgan Stanley Research, while the reduction in electric vehicle pain points such as charging time and driving range will help drive the shift, a key factor will be the reduction in costs. “Battery costs have been a major barrier to increasing EV penetration, with costs per kWh at over $200 until recently. But we now expect battery costs to fall to $100 by the early 2020s.”

Guess what kind of battery prices we are expected to reach in the next 3 years? Prices were ~$156 kWh in 2019. Good thing a lot of people are investing in cutting that further.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Squalid posted:

What. I don't do technical analysis just like i don't do industrial engineering. I am not a finance guy. Which is why I quote figures and stuff from real finance people instead. Tesla's operating profit is lower than Toyota's which is not surprising, but the fact that it is in the same ballpark as companies like Ford is itself a sign that their fundamental business proposition is sound, and the company can reasonably be expect to make money and compete without being subsidized indefinitely by sucker investors. Your rhetorical questions don't make much sense to me. What is Tesla spending money on if not advertising? Uh factories? The growth is funded by investment and sales of products and services. Whatever your rhetorical point is here it is lost on me.

Just for the sake of argument, I'll accept your premise: Telsa is a well-run company that puts out good products underpinned by bleeding edge batteries and self-driving technology, most of which is developed in-house. I'll also accept your second premise: Tesla's financial statements show their efficiency to be on the same level as the multinational car companies it chooses to view as competitors.

Even if either of these statements are true, they do not explain how a small volume car manufacturer that may or may not have posted an annual profit last year (for the first time ever) is the twelfth most valuable company in the world. It does not explain how that same small volume car manufacturer is believed by ~the market~ to have a value twice that of Toyota.

Squalid posted:

I'm not sure why you keep bringing up trucks because it doesn't make legacy automakers look good. Why is it that they are pivoting away from sedans? The answer is obviously because they know they can't compete at all against companies like tesla, and realize they have to amputate those parts of the business to survive.
The US market for sedans is smaller than ever, and Ford/GM/FCA pulled out because of an inability (or unwillingness) to compete with Honda, Nissan, and Toyota. I can, with every ounce of certainty, guarantee that Tesla did not even enter the picture.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Squalid posted:

For (2) cybertruck is going to enter production. The factory is going up right now in Austin. its going to be more expensive than the base model at first, but it's going to be price competitive with higher end models almost immediately. If you want to see a breakdown of cost comparisons I have one for you. I expect a lot of people itt will just dismiss this guy as an Tesla shill but here you go:

features don't really matter, the thing looks extraordinarily dorky. an electric truck that looks like a concept car is not going to tickle the sense of wounded masculinity which prompts dudes who don't need trucks to buy trucks. and the dudes who do need a truck, are going to get something more practical than a dorky electric truck

Squalid posted:

(3) I'm not so sure about that. You know it's easy to be cynical about these things but if you look at what regulators, suppliers in the battery market, and investors are saying now they all expect a massive increase in EV adoption and are taking steps to benefit.

a significant hurdle to EV adoption is going to be people who can't find a place to charge the thing. even if we can get charging times down to 45 minutes, can you imagine pulling up to your local gas station for 45 minutes multiple times a week? if you don't own property or can't install a charging station where you typically park your car, then you're not going to get an electric car. i deeply question these growth predictions while so many people who rely on cars do not live in housing which is compatible with keeping an electric car charged. smells to me like one of those wealthy people "ah, if i lost my job i would simply dip into my 401k" level class blindness issues

Baronash posted:

Even if either of these statements are true, they do not explain how a small volume car manufacturer that may or may not have posted an annual profit last year (for the first time ever) is the twelfth most valuable company in the world. It does not explain how that same small volume car manufacturer is believed by ~the market~ to have a value twice that of Toyota.

yeah, the only explanation is really that established car makers don't have a lot of growth potential. tesla has massive growth potential, if the self driving thing takes off

same story with uber though, and uber for all its faults has a lot more expenses it can cut without impacting business

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 25, 2020

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Just roll out a giant qi charging mat on your parking spot dummy

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Cybertrukk looks like something designed by someone who never needed or used a truck before.

It ticks some nice boxes for use, but there's no way Billy is driving that polygonal box of poo poo into work next to all the TRUMP 2024 brotrucks on the job.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Cicero posted:

The extent to which the US takes car ownership is a ridiculous extreme, but something more along the lines of Japan or the Netherlands seems like it'd be okay.

I cherish reading old, old arguments about mass transit on Slashdot, ether the US side of the argument was always and solely "yes, but we have cars".

- increasing rail capacity could efficiently move move people in and out of urban centers for work and shopping
"yes, but we have cars"
- use of buses and light rail could lower emissions
"yes, but we have cars"
- long distance mass transit could lower the need for airport expansion
"yes, but we have cars"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FilthyImp posted:

Cybertrukk looks like something designed by someone who never needed or used a truck before.

It ticks some nice boxes for use, but there's no way Billy is driving that polygonal box of poo poo into work next to all the TRUMP 2024 brotrucks on the job.

It was designed by someone who is incapable of making complex curves.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

FilthyImp posted:

No one is going to gently caress with a dude who can get something out of the bed of a Cybertrukk, because you'd have to be 12 feet tall to reach over the walls that enclose it. jk no one who buys one is ever going to use the truck bed anyway aside from loading groceries

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Baronash posted:

I won't say a word to try and justify the current stock price. Frankly I don't really understand what drives big movements in stock prices. I definitely can't explain short term changes. Let me be clear, I am arguing that Tesla is fundamentally sound as a business, and at least for the next 5 years, is going to continue to grow sales by double digit percents. That's about as much as I'm willing to predict, and that seems very reasonable given the production lines they are already in the process of constructing. Maybe the stock price will plunge 50% over the second half of this year. Although if they end up posting another profit this quarter somehow I find that unlikely.

luxury handset posted:

a significant hurdle to EV adoption is going to be people who can't find a place to charge the thing. even if we can get charging times down to 45 minutes, can you imagine pulling up to your local gas station for 45 minutes multiple times a week? if you don't own property or can't install a charging station where you typically park your car, then you're not going to get an electric car. i deeply question these growth predictions while so many people who rely on cars do not live in housing which is compatible with keeping an electric car charged. smells to me like one of those wealthy people "ah, if i lost my job i would simply dip into my 401k" level class blindness issues

Well, maybe somebody who works in municipal planning should be working on how to make curbside charging infrastructure more accessible. Because it sounds like we're going to need it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

FilthyImp posted:

Admittedly I am not a materials engineer, but am I the only one expecting a lot of front windows developing cracks because it's not a convex design?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
You said you're a numbers guy, but in pretty much every post you've made since then you've said you don't understand this number or that number. What's going on.

Also, Enron was a huge and "profitable" company with a magical ~~stock price~~, until it suddenly wasn't. Do you think it is absolutely impossible for Tesla to resemble Enron in any way?

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Squalid posted:

Well, maybe somebody who works in municipal planning should be working on how to make curbside charging infrastructure more accessible. Because it sounds like we're going to need it.

Widespread implementation of curbside charging is wildly impractical and will never become reality. Who would pay for it? The cost would be astronomical.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Anza Borrego posted:

Widespread implementation of curbside charging is wildly impractical and will never become reality. Who would pay for it? The cost would be astronomical.

How then do you propose that apartment dwellers without assigned parking charge their electric cars?

(I ask because that is my current primary hurdle preventing electric car ownership)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 25, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Anza Borrego posted:

I'm curious if some decades down the line this post becomes one of those "the idea of widespread ownership of computers is ridiculous" kind of things.

More to the point if fossil fuels get severely restricted then apartment owners (whether private or landlords) will gladly pay for it.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Big surprise that the same guy who supported the Bolivian coup and still defends the obviously fraudulent “statistical analysis” by the OAS, is also a Tesla fanboy. Squalid, did you buy in the stock after Musk jokingly claimed the coup was so he could get cheap lithium?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
please someone reply with *whomsoever