Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Oh, I know how conservative and change-averse telcos can be, I worked at one for close a decade and a half, primarily with the wholesale wing, too.

The entire company's most critical system, the main customer database and The One Source of Truth about subscriptions? Written in COBOL in the 80s, runs on a Tandem mainframe and requires them to defrost one of the old greybeards kept in the basement, whenever they want changes made.

In TYOOL 2021.

This matches my experience quite well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

A good anecdote: Not quite mechanical engineering, but I was hired by a development firm to teach Programmers, often with degrees in Computer Science, how to properly manage Linux systems and develop for them. They just didn't know very well, it wasn't covered in their computer classes. They were incredibly skilled at the languages they mastered in school, they did know the basics, but they didn't know how to properly use *nix systems.

Yeah, that's pretty much how it went for me. Came out of uni with a pretty solid grasp of Java, C++, Matlab, even loving Assembler, but barely a lick of experience using linux. When I started my first job, it involved a lot of circumspect googling of even the most rudimentary stuff like "how do I ssh to places". Though in fairness, "how to google poo poo and apply it quickly" is a pretty fundamental skillset for developers anyway. :v:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

OctaMurk posted:

These are such essential skillsets in mechanical engineering (particularly folder management where you have to deal with PDM systems, and assemblies of products that depend on each other top down or bottom up) that I cannot imagine how these engineers function or how they graduated college tbh.

My parents have been using computers for 30ish years (starting from DOS and mainly for AutoCAD) and the internet for 20+ years and it's amazing how little they've learned about the technology they've probably averaged 4+ hours a day on. Fixing startup and memory issues and poo poo like that in DOS and Windows 3.1 wasn't trivial, but somehow despite managing then they still struggle with even the most basic problems today (a lack of patience and unwillingness to Google anything doesn't help).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

This matches my experience quite well.

Its pretty common for banks too, although I've noticed they've sped up modernizing.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much how it went for me. Came out of uni with a pretty solid grasp of Java, C++, Matlab, even loving Assembler, but barely a lick of experience using linux. When I started my first job, it involved a lot of circumspect googling of even the most rudimentary stuff like "how do I ssh to places". Though in fairness, "how to google poo poo and apply it quickly" is a pretty fundamental skillset for developers anyway. :v:

Very true, Google is as much a critical tool as actual schooling in nearly every aspect of tech.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Its pretty common for banks too, although I've noticed they've sped up modernizing.

If "modernizing" means "running your RPG and COBOL back end code on an LPAR of a z15 while decommissioning your System/360 from 1989" sure......I've seen that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

CommieGIR posted:

Very true, Google is as much a critical tool as actual schooling in nearly every aspect of tech.

Or any job at all for the most part. Half of what I google at work is "why is this Adobe software suddenly doing x, y or z" and not working correctly? Suddenly, I can't print something or my file(s) don't look right even though they used to. Half the answers deal with whether my CPU is a year or older and "have you updated everything?", which is usually what hosed poo poo up in the first place.

And over half of THOSE answers come from end users and not the software company who mostly just use chat bots

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

If "modernizing" means "running your RPG and COBOL back end code on an LPAR of a z15 while decommissioning your System/360 from 1989" sure......I've seen that.

Yes, it was tongue in cheek a little bit.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't know but I have a new $575 dollar oven coming tomorrow with as few bells and whistles as possible. Still sucks though because I liked the old one and really don't have the money to shell out on this kind of poo poo.

I hear you, I’m in the middle of fixing my mid-1950’s electric cooktop - one burner doesn’t work - and electrically, it’s nearly as simple as a flashlight.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

JnnyThndrs posted:

I hear you, I’m in the middle of fixing my mid-1950’s electric cooktop - one burner doesn’t work - and electrically, it’s nearly as simple as a flashlight.

This, man, a million times. I'm not all that handy but even at 17 I could repair some of this poo poo.

It seems stupid that I should buy a whole new oven after 5 years (I also replaced the fridge I bought during this period) instead of just dealing with a part or a loose wire but what do I know? I even went with the old school coil burners because I know if one of those poo poo the bed, I'd rather scope out a salvage yard than replace an entire CPU motherboard. The prices for some of these appliances I saw while browsing were stunning.

My ex wife bought the fridge and stove and I'd wager they were $2000 combined. Both now scrapped. I had a guy out on FOUR separate occasions to fix that stupid refrigerator before just buying a regular no frills Kenmore so we're probably actually approaching $3000 factoring in that. I don't even mind making my own ice in a plastic tray. I'm CRAZY!

Things feel like they're designed to break - usually right around when the warranty expires.

And speaking of that, making a warranty claim can be maddening as well. The numbers you have to call transfer you, put you on hold, disconnect you and push you down a rabbit hole of wait times and non service.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 29, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BiggerBoat posted:

And speaking of that, making a warranty claim can be maddening as well. The numbers you have to call transfer you, put you on hold, disconnect you and push you down a rabbit hole of wait times and non service.

this is by design, just fyi. if they can frustrate you into giving up they saved the cost of replacing your poo poo

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

loving "streamlined" user experiences.

This is why I always used Firefox. I could set it up precisely how I liked it, with addons that did all sorts of useful stuff.

Then, over the past few years, Firefox changed to no longer allowing those addons to work and started removing features and, just as annoyingly, renamed stuff, moved it around and made what was once a single click now take navigating multiple menus.

At this point, all that's keeping me from tossing it are the multirow tabs and bookmarks - and the only reason I have them is because I added the bloody code for them to the CSS file myself.

the old addons broke constantly and the new ones don’t seem to; so that’s a decent tradeoff in my book

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah the stability and speed of modern Firefox is a gigantic improvement over the XUL days.

I disagree on some of the UI changes they've made, but overall I'm very satisfied. Then again, I don't have like 15 different customized extensions that I am somehow unable to use the internet without. Just give me some good ad blocking and such, and I'm good to go.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

this is by design, just fyi. if they can frustrate you into giving up they saved the cost of replacing your poo poo

Oh, I know. And I've learned to refuse warranty protection because good luck getting any repairs covered. DO you think these devices are designed to break/malfunction right after the warranty expires? I wonder.

I swear, I just can't shake this constant feeling that very little of all this "streamlined" and "convenient" touch of a button poo poo actually saves me time or makes my life easier. I'm not a total nihilist and SOME of it is nice, obviously, and a lot of it works for me but that's the thing. It has to WORK. And I spend as much time getting poo poo to work properly than I do enjoying the time it saves me. Then I have to register everything I own and my spam filter and phone opens a floodgate of crap, robocalls and targeted ads. Password managers to manage my password manager and such. Getting on Linked In or applying for work gets me a lot of correspondence telling me what a great Independent Business Owner I would make.

So much of it is madness - or at least feels that way. Nobody I know seems less stressed out than my parents or my grandmother did. Most of them seem more stressed. Isn't the idea behind this stuff ostensibly to free up our time and ease our minds?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's easy to advertise new features, it's a lot harder to advertise improved reliability.

So guess what companies all focus on.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

KozmoNaut posted:

It's easy to advertise new features, it's a lot harder to advertise improved reliability.

Maytag did it for decades, but then again it takes decades to build the reputation.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Maytag did it for decades, but then again it takes decades to build the reputation.

not anymore. To my eyes anyway.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah the stability and speed of modern Firefox is a gigantic improvement over the XUL days.

I disagree on some of the UI changes they've made, but overall I'm very satisfied. Then again, I don't have like 15 different customized extensions that I am somehow unable to use the internet without. Just give me some good ad blocking and such, and I'm good to go.

Are you using a Mac? I gave up on Firefox like 5 years ago when I realized that leaving it open left my 2 year-old MacBook Pro with 40 minutes of battery life.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

THis is an incredibly minor bitch from an old man but I have my deceased mother's old boom box in my bathroom that I use to listen to the radio or play a CD as I shower or get ready for work but I've had THREE power outages in the last week here for whatever reason and I wish I had an analog dial to re-tune this dumb loving radio.

All I use it for is to listen to NPR news or sports in the morning but every time the power dies, it takes me forever to find my stations again. I know, I know, just keep batteries in it, right? OK fine but god forbid I don't ever have to use them and then, in less than a year, they corrode and ruin my little bathroom entertainment device.

I don't see what was so wrong or inconvenient about just turning the dial to the station(s) you like or why this way is an improvement.

Don't even get me started about how the motherboard on my stove is making GBS threads the bed so the simple act of cooking is a constant roll of the dice, depending on my oven's mood. I seriously don't miss simply turning the dial to the temperature I need but now the touch screen digital thingy is deciding when it wants to listen to me. I really don't see how is any of this better? And the cost of fixing the motherboard is not only prohibitive but anyone who can fix it is 2 or 3 weeks out from even being able to come by.

Old cranky guy update for this month I guess.

Listen to it on your phone. Take it in the shower with you. iPhones are waterproof these days, it’s fine. That’s what I do.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

OctaMurk posted:

These are such essential skillsets in mechanical engineering (particularly folder management where you have to deal with PDM systems, and assemblies of products that depend on each other top down or bottom up) that I cannot imagine how these engineers function or how they graduated college tbh.

Outlook is already a greatly reduced part of my workflow because of Teams, so I get that even if I grumble. But if someone isn't comfortable handling file and folder hierarchies, they are going to be basically completely useless.

They can grasp the concept of a hierarchy, but the way it's presented in Windows, particularly for files that get used in more than one program, is just unfamiliar to them. Colleges don't do a good job of teaching workflows. You get some LabVIEW in the lab classes, but it's in kind of a workflow vacuum. You get some Matlab in math classes, but again, it's in a vacuum. Maybe you make a nice 3D model assembly of your senior project in Inventor, but the parts to it never have to plug into SAP.

Their professors want assignments turned in as PDFs or .doc. They don't want the actual work, they want a presentation of the work. So the kids can do like I did in the 2000s and load up Office and make it work with equation editor, pulling PNG images from some SMB share my whole group has access to, or they can just open up Google Docs. On their iPad, because the laptop they bought from the bookstore 4 years ago barely works. And whatever they type just magically starts saving in this place their phone and tablet and browser-based Google account. Why on Earth would they gently caress with Office?

So they get to us, and we use Word to generate documents for a thousand reasons that aren't changing any time soon. And we don't use Inventor, we use AutoCAD, but really the drafters use AutoCAD, and all those parts in that drawing exist in SAP. It's not that they're illiterate, it's just the literacy that gets them through college has a whole bunch of personal preference decision points that our workflows don't, and the end result is a good few of these new grads are perplexed at the notion of "you saved it in this program, now go find it and open it in this other program."

A 36 year old has always known how to map a network printer in Windows. Absolutely none of these new grads have had occasion to do so.

This isn't me bellyaching - I don't think these grads are deficient, and I can count the number who couldn't get up to speed on one hand. But it does seem like there was a bit of a Goldilocks Zone decade where new hire engineers were very ready to roll with the punches of a large employers Windows based workflow that has ended, and a lot of those employers aren't in a position to change for them.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

It's also true that, previously, most people you found in computer engineering or computer science picked it because they were a bit nerdy and did this stuff for fun in their free time, whereas now everyone is getting into tech because they've been told "STEM or bust".

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

LibCrusher posted:

Listen to it on your phone. Take it in the shower with you. iPhones are waterproof these days, it’s fine. That’s what I do.

I do that and have my phone paired with a speaker. I was just talking about how stupidly inconvenient it is to retune a stupid loving radio.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BiggerBoat posted:

I do that and have my phone paired with a speaker. I was just talking about how stupidly inconvenient it is to retune a stupid loving radio.

I haven't tuned a radio since the 90s lol

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Motronic posted:

We fetishizing MUDs now?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I have a radio alarm clock I've been using since the 90's. Had to tune it a bit a few years ago during a move.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

HootTheOwl posted:

We fetishizing MUDs now?

I'll be honest, I just started a new BBS up so I could play majormud with a friend

its pretty cool

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

HootTheOwl posted:

We fetishizing MUDs now?

Do you really want to be eaten by a grue?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

Do you really want to be eaten by a grue?

You just need an older model grue gun from before they had forced OTA software updates.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Tuxedo Gin posted:

It's also true that, previously, most people you found in computer engineering or computer science picked it because they were a bit nerdy and did this stuff for fun in their free time, whereas now everyone is getting into tech because they've been told "STEM or bust".

i think the MAJOR IN BLANK thing is another reason why we have some of the problems we have now.

techbros and other computer touchers are adequately skilled , but theyre uncurious , and just know how to do things in their ridge box.

also MAJOR IN BLANK FOR MONEY, where blank is medicine, has result in a ton of nurses or other lower level positions where they believe in antiscience horseshit.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Motronic posted:

Depends on the bank. Throughout the 2010s I was consulting for very large banks moving into AWS. Not their banking cores (at the time) but everything else was moving towards a recognizably modern development pattern. Supposedly now at least one of those banks has moved everything onto Linux in AWS--which is terrifying as well, but for very different reasons.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MickeyFinn posted:

Are you using a Mac?

Never.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

MickeyFinn posted:

Are you using a Mac? I gave up on Firefox like 5 years ago when I realized that leaving it open left my 2 year-old MacBook Pro with 40 minutes of battery life.

Maybe you already know this but JIC, for other firefox (aka "la zorra en llamas") users:

Go to the config, deactivage the "preferred performance settings" or however it's called in your language and , in the menu, change the maximum allowed processes that FF is allowed to use to one.

I haven't noticed FF being any slower, but without that I notice it using ungodly amounts of memory or processing power.

Like, drat, are they running a buttcoin miner or something?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

And it seems to me that part of what's driving all this is the slavish devotion of consumers who camp out and line up around the block to buy a new iphone that barely does anything the one they bought a year ago does and it worries me some. It's not like they're waiting for a rare chance to see The Stones, attend a rare event or buy something it is RARE. That product will be there tomorrow and the next day. In fact, the newer phones actually eliminate features that the user base like and have grown accustomed to, or so I've heard.

Oh, like headphone jacks and the ability to replace batteries and add memory cards? poo poo like that?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

Oh, like headphone jacks and the ability to replace batteries and add memory cards? poo poo like that?

yes

Also, didn't see it posted but a self driving Tesla hit a cop car

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/30/business/tesla-crash-police-car/index.html

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BiggerBoat posted:

yes

Yikes. How many clips did they dump into it?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

yes

ok fine, teslas aren't all bad I guess

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

RFC2324 posted:

Yikes. How many clips did they dump into it?

The photos clearly show that the car is white.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jose Valasquez posted:

ok fine, teslas aren't all bad I guess

Yeah, I was a little torn myself.

E:

ALso, lol, I linked the article but didn't read it and it was different from the one I read this morning.

quote:

New York (CNN Business)Another Tesla has hit an emergency vehicle, apparently while using the Autopilot driver-assist feature, adding to a problem that is already the subject of a federal safety probe.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 31, 2021

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Someone should write a paper on how the autopilot AI is miraculously non-racist (no really it can't see colour) but instead is prejudiced against first responders and emergency services.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

"A second Tesla has hit the towers!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

eXXon posted:

Someone should write a paper on how the autopilot AI is miraculously non-racist (no really it can't see colour) but instead is prejudiced against first responders and emergency services.

"its not racist if it tries to kill everyone equally"