Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

don't understand why McD's didn't just commission their own plug & play raspberry pi units to hook into their PoS terminals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/DavidZipper/status/1468228918654156802

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

:thunk:

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

don't understand why McD's didn't just commission their own plug & play raspberry pi units to hook into their PoS terminals

some executive getting some kind of contractor grift kickback probably. much like their PoS ice cream machines

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Some potential games for Tesla drivers:

Grand Crash Auto
Grim Turismo
Carnage Crush
Mortal CarBreak
Stupid Smash Bro's
MineCrash

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Actually the drivers of the Teslas will probably be fine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Stexils posted:

some executive getting some kind of contractor grift kickback probably. much like their PoS ice cream machines

Or like I've seen with my clients: "I golf with the AWS exec for the region"

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Eh, it's been done before.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I haven't been able to use Connectwise to work on tickets all day. :cheers:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

Some potential games for Tesla drivers:

Grand Crash Auto
Grim Turismo
Carnage Crush
Mortal CarBreak
Stupid Smash Bro's
MineCrash

Some day, an insane speedrunner will link the car's controls to the centre console, and play Doom/Dark Souls/SMB1 on a (hopefully) closed course while also streaming from his seat.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

CommieGIR posted:

Or like I've seen with my clients: "I golf with the AWS exec for the region"

Rational actors in a free market

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Mister Facetious posted:

I'd guess because it means that they don't have to push an update to every single franchise location when a menu item changes. If you fetch menu items from an internet service, you don't have to rely on your franchisees to be on top of poo poo, and I don't blame them for that.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

aniviron posted:

I'd guess because it means that they don't have to push an update to every single franchise location when a menu item changes. If you fetch menu items from an internet service, you don't have to rely on your franchisees to be on top of poo poo, and I don't blame them for that.

You don't have to worry about that anyway. Franchises are under strict requirements to call themselves McDonald's. As I., Don't have X item on the menu screen by Tuesday? Your not a McDonald's anymore. Don't have all the signage updated to x standard? You lose your McDonald's name.

It's nuts, and for the most part forces the owners of the franchise into very low profit margins due to constant new standards to adhere to.

I wanted to become a franchisee for a Popeyes or some poo poo but after going to a seminar and talking to others I heard people chadding it up about 4-6% profits and fuckkk that. Double digits or bust

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

But the McFlurry machines are broken half the time, how do you think those terminals would work without plug and play provisioning.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

aniviron posted:

I thought they loved being a vertically oriented corporation though. It's why I'm (somewhat) surprised they don't do it themselves.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

You don't have to worry about that anyway. Franchises are under strict requirements to call themselves McDonald's. As I., Don't have X item on the menu screen by Tuesday? Your not a McDonald's anymore. Don't have all the signage updated to x standard? You lose your McDonald's name.

It's nuts, and for the most part forces the owners of the franchise into very low profit margins due to constant new standards to adhere to.

I wanted to become a franchisee for a Popeyes or some poo poo but after going to a seminar and talking to others I heard people chadding it up about 4-6% profits and fuckkk that. Double digits or bust

That's about in line with restaurant profit margins in general. Paying real people to cook real food and serve it to real customers just has inherently crappy profit margins.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Kickstarter has joined the crypto cult: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-08/kickstarter-blockchain-will-combine-crowdfunding-with-crypto

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

This would make a good basis for a thread titl-

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

VideoGameVet posted:

LinkedIn used to work JUST FINE on Safari/Mac but now it's nearly nonfunctional.

Works great on Chrome.

Just a CoInkyDink I suppose.

I would be more paranoid if it only worked in Edge

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Womp womp

https://twitter.com/CoinersTakingLs/status/1468752041883275265?s=20

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

lol

Followup question: "how finance is finance?"

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Next like the time before, we find out that it's not a persistent saved instance but instead a one time use one that is erased fully when it's shut down. Crypto is amazing for how much has come before and hosed up poo poo has happened.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Little secret. Many exchanges don't do BlockChain transactions for every trade. That would be too slow and costly.

So they use conventional databases and servers.

Fix the transaction speed and expense (energy too) and you can have a decentralized exchange. Lightning Network is an example I suppose.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

VideoGameVet posted:

Little secret. Many exchanges don't do BlockChain transactions for every trade. That would be too slow and costly.

Fix the transaction speed and expense (energy too) and you can have a decentralized exchange. Lightning Network is an example I suppose.

You can’t fix the expense part (and thus the speed part) to get a decentralized monetary system. The expense is required to keep someone from taking over by buying a lot of the scarce whatever (compute cycles, hard drives, the coin itself). Centralized finance happens because it is really efficient at doing the everyday things like transactions.

I’m pretty sure lightning just uses its intermediate wallets to push coins around, i.e. it is centralized.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
White supremacy: very good for bitcoin

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2021/12/09/how-cryptocurrency-revolutionized-white-supremacist-movement

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

MickeyFinn posted:

You can’t fix the expense part (and thus the speed part) to get a decentralized monetary system. The expense is required to keep someone from taking over by buying a lot of the scarce whatever (compute cycles, hard drives, the coin itself). Centralized finance happens because it is really efficient at doing the everyday things like transactions.

I’m pretty sure lightning just uses its intermediate wallets to push coins around, i.e. it is centralized.

Slightly distributed I believe. Ditto Binance's thing.

Proof of Stake? Not sure.

But right now a single BTC transaction uses as much electricity as driving a Tesla across the USA 2x+

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

VideoGameVet posted:

Huh, you mean sort of how bank accounts are in most cases just numbers, and financial transactions are just numbers moving around instead of any physical exchanges occurring, with periodic true-ups as appropriate?

Weird, that sounds almost like a thing that the banks they scream about Fiat Currency do????

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 11, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Volmarias posted:

Huh, you mean sort of how bank accounts are in most cases just numbers, and financial transactions are just numbers moving around instead of any physical exchanges occurring, with periodic true-ups as appropriate?

Weird, that sounds almost like a thing that the banks they scream about Fiat Currency do????

A bonus is how every crypto/blockchain coin crap values itself in USD, I wonder why that is....

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/TaylorOgan/status/1469404579439824899

When it works it's impressive, but it's still concerning when it doesn't...

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Works 100% of the time 60% of the time!

Ship it.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Doggles posted:

https://twitter.com/TaylorOgan/status/1469404579439824899

When it works it's impressive, but it's still concerning when it doesn't...

The "train tracks" in this video are really tram tracks. This is not to say that a collision with a tram couldn't ruin your day, but there's a pretty big difference between "turning onto a paved lane with rails running in it" and "trying to drive down a rail line over rail ballast and ties."

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

CommieGIR posted:

A bonus is how every crypto/blockchain coin crap values itself in USD, I wonder why that is....

Crypto.com:

"definitely not a bank!"

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Cocaine Bear posted:

Crypto.com:

"definitely not a bank!"

“as far as you can tell”

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

"No, bank fees!"

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Did they store their wallets on ephemeral EC2 storage again?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
https://twitter.com/spurtmagoo/status/1469677182481932288

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Why would you put the code in your foot?
Do her socks not get dirty?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's fiat money, not feet money!

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

HootTheOwl posted:

Why would you put the code in your foot?
Do her socks not get dirty?

This is going to turn out to be a foot fetish thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

has adobe ever made the news for harassment or anything untoward? got a friend who's applying there and we were curious. i don't remember seeing anything.