Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagacity posted:

That's insane! Surely you want them sorted. By code point number.

That’s not that bad because ASCII gets the first hundred and twenty‐eight code points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Platystemon posted:

That’s not that bad because ASCII gets the first hundred and twenty‐eight code points.

In descending code order. :colbert:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Agents are GO! posted:

In descending code order. :colbert:

Don't think that's going to make it confusing for people expecting it in ascending order? Most efficient way would be to have it be randomized so everyone's happy.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Neo Rasa posted:

Don't think that's going to make it confusing for people expecting it in ascending order? Most efficient way would be to have it be randomized so everyone's happy.

re-sort the list every day based on average use of characters over the last 24 hours

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

re-sort the list every day based on average use of characters over the last 24 hours

We have a winner.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Requesting the gif of all the insane web form input fields, like the slider that goes from 1900-2000 and Rgb pickers for dates

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1540994831555727363

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Its not about the destination its about the journey

And the journey is being packed into a metal tube with 5000 other people, next to a nuclear reactor

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I mean zeppelins are already a thing.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

OctaMurk posted:

Its not about the destination its about the journey

And the journey is being packed into a metal tube with 5000 other people, next to a nuclear reactor
I'm sure it'll be fine in a crash.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Sagacity posted:

I'm sure it'll be fine in a crash.

A hypothetical nuclear reactor would be totally fine in a crash. Those things are already built for it. It's the flying hotel it's attached to that I would have concerns about.

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.
Lol its a Tokamak Fusion Reactor too. So just around the corner.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Everyone's favorite part of vacation, sitting in an airplane

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
My dream vacation: a flying nuclear mall

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
it's very bio-shock

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Elias_Maluco posted:

My dream vacation: a flying nuclear mall

You've just been nuclear malled! Send this plane to all your friends to nuclear mall them!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
How much runway does this need to take off? Does such a runaway currently exist?

Oh wait, neither does it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
How do you get on and off? Does it have another hanger built in?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Where does everyone sit during takeoff and landing? What do you do if there’s turbulence?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
BRB filing an FAA flightplan duration "eternity"
what happens when you need to change the oil on one of the the 10 engines?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

BRB filing an FAA flightplan duration "eternity"
what happens when you need to change the oil on one of the the 10 engines?

well, obviously they have enough engines to just shut that one down and have someone climb onto the wing and fix it.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

well, obviously they have enough engines to just shut that one down and have someone climb onto the wing and fix it.

I'm now imagining Mad Max Fury Road on a plane. Witness me!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The return of wing walkers

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Mercury_Storm posted:

Just having your last name changed at your own job can be a disaster. Any idea on how many systems will suddenly break or not allow you to log in because your email address changed and it wont sync over from active directory properly? At least half of them, and you'll be dealing with broken poo poo or finding new broken poo poo for months, at least.

I'm sure this has nothing to with women traditionally having their last names changed and tech being functionally or actually misogynist either.

During the pandemic, the company I work for decided to change travel agents for Concur. Apparently doing this requires dumping all of the info from concur. So they reimported all of our info from AD. Generally I go by Tom. But my ID says Thomas. So when I went to book flights, I didn't realize they had hosed up my name. I get to the airport and have to change my ticket because of it. I'm still trying to figure out what is causing my pre-check stuff to not get passed through correctly.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

My favorite part is the square windows everywhere, something aircraft designers have known is a Bad loving Idea basically since the debut of jet airliners. That alone makes it pretty clear that the total level of engineering thought that went into this was just rolling up to a 3D designer and saying "make me an airplane render that looks like a flying cruise ship".

Aircraft windows are small and oval-shaped for a reason: an airplane is a pressurized metal tube that has to be able to hold in considerable air pressure at high altitudes. The windows are weak points in the structure, and the stresses tended to concentrate at the sharp corners of square windows. Metal fatigue would accumulate around the corners of the windows until the skin weakened enough to cause scary phrases like "structural failure" and "in-flight breakup" - along with the destruction of the plane and the deaths of everyone onboard.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Why not just build an electric blimp? It's not like cruises have to go anywhere fast, and a blimp flies low enough that you can have huge windows. Plus, power consumption is way lower, so you don't have to make it nuclear.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

VikingofRock posted:

Why not just build an electric blimp? It's not like cruises have to go anywhere fast, and a blimp flies low enough that you can have huge windows. Plus, power consumption is way lower, so you don't have to make it nuclear.

Gotta go fast bro.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

How do you get on and off? Does it have another hanger built in?

You can check-out any time you want.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

SporkChan posted:

Lol its a Tokamak Fusion Reactor too. So just around the corner.

20 years away since 1979.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Main Paineframe posted:

My favorite part is the square windows everywhere, something aircraft designers have known is a Bad loving Idea basically since the debut of jet airliners. That alone makes it pretty clear that the total level of engineering thought that went into this was just rolling up to a 3D designer and saying "make me an airplane render that looks like a flying cruise ship".

Aircraft windows are small and oval-shaped for a reason: an airplane is a pressurized metal tube that has to be able to hold in considerable air pressure at high altitudes. The windows are weak points in the structure, and the stresses tended to concentrate at the sharp corners of square windows. Metal fatigue would accumulate around the corners of the windows until the skin weakened enough to cause scary phrases like "structural failure" and "in-flight breakup" - along with the destruction of the plane and the deaths of everyone onboard.

Yep. Been there, tried that, people died.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

VikingofRock posted:

Airships have very low cargo capacity compared to powered aircraft. For example, Lockheed's currently semi-existing hybrid cargo blimp (which is 80% buoyancy/20% powered) is 100m long with only about a fifth of the payload as a 777 that's 2/3 the size. Getting cruise ship levels of weight aloft with a blimp is even more implausible than a nuclear plane (not that either of them is very plausible)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Makes me think: why nobody ever tried a nuclear plane before? Seems like it could be useful for war aircrafts and even cargo

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Elias_Maluco posted:

Makes me think: why nobody ever tried a nuclear plane before? Seems like it could be useful for war aircrafts and even cargo

The absolute last thing i would want a nuclear powerplant in an aircraft for is a wartime plane that could get shot out of the sky, and spread radioactive debris over a multi-kilometre area.

Peacetime cargo? sure. But not an aircraft that will need to see combat against anti-air defenses.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Also who says they havent

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

The absolute last thing i would want a nuclear powerplant in an aircraft for is a wartime plane that could get shot out of the sky, and spread radioactive debris over a multi-kilometre area.

Peacetime cargo? sure. But not an aircraft that will need to see combat against anti-air defenses.
Do you think nuclear submarines transport peacetime cargo?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Elias_Maluco posted:

basically the reactor and shielding is too heavy for all but the largest aircraft, and its really not good when a nuclear powered aircraft crashes

there was experimentation done in the 1950s but the downsides are too severe and the potential upsides too minimal to bother with nuclear aircraft

Mister Facetious posted:

an aircraft getting shot down means it is very likely to happen over enemy territory, where you don't care as much about ruining the landscape

in war or peace though, aircraft do tend to crash, and it would be super not good for your airfield to be covered in radioactive debris

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

It has been tried. NEPA and it's follow up program. Basically it works out like this. You can make a nuclear reactor fly. Making a nuclear reactor and the shielding it needs fly is a very different matter. Which lead to the development of Project Pluto. For when a nuclear cruise missile isn't a spicy enough gently caress you.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Vegetable posted:

Do you think nuclear submarines transport peacetime cargo?

Yeah, I was thinking of the nuclear subs

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

basically the reactor and shielding is too heavy for all but the largest aircraft, and its really not good when a nuclear powered aircraft crashes

there was experimentation done in the 1950s but the downsides are too severe and the potential upsides too minimal to bother with nuclear aircraft

Makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Oh, they did try. During the earlier parts of the Cold War when the primary nuclear deterrent was having strategic bombers ready to launch within 10 minutes, the US and Soviet air arms were very much in love with the idea of a nuclear-powered bomber that could stay in the air for days or weeks at a time, ready to go drop bombs at a moment's notice.

Problem is, a nuclear reactor is loving heavy. If you want to add a ton of lead shielding so that it's not blasting the surroundings (and the crew) with radiation, it's even heavier. It took a large amount of work and numerous test flights just to reach the point where they could fit a nuclear reactor on a plane while retaining useful cargo capacity and not killing the crew, and by the time they got that far, the invention of useful ICBMs had rendered the whole concept obsolete.