Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

FAANG is more of a WallStreet term that relates to the speed at which the company grows. It's not really correlated with engineering complexity per-se, but the type of company culture / process required to sustain that kind of growth tends to be relatively uniform these days.

Netflix is definitely the odd one out here, and people will sometime use GAFA instead.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Aramis posted:

FAANG is more of a WallStreet term that relates to speed at which the company grows. It's not really correlated with Engineering complexity per-se, but the type of company culture / process required to sustain that kind of growth tends to be relatively uniform these days.

And on the employment side it has to do with pay - all those companies will have a senior engineer approaching $300k in total comp.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

Why is NetFlix even in that top tier, tf do they do except make the interface worse and make it autoplay when you're browsing.

It seriously cannot take that many coders to just digitise and upload movies.

They do a lot of work with optimization of video streams. A lot of their engineers spend time pondering how do they shave off a fractions of the bitrate without compromising quality.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
having good 0s and 1s is their fundamental service. kinda want to say its impossible for them to jump the shark or feature bloat themselves, but who knows.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Netflix reportedly accounted for ~12% of all downstream internet traffic in 2019. That probably requires a few engineers.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Desiderata posted:

My experience is that Project Managers, UX ideation designers, and various Agile Delivery Jira shufflers and similar software hangers on are the most the most tech bro of tech bros as they both get to be full time "idea guys in the digital space", without the rigour of having to actually do anything involving code or complex problem solving themselves. They also get to spend all day jockeying for promotion, and creating laughable sub-Ted 'innovation' talks and generating terrible unworkable projects because they have so much more free time compared the engineers who are too busy making their last dumb project work.

That's just my annecdotal experience though.

I think the worst tech bros are the Product Managers who came into the space from consulting/IB/MBA programs. I never had that experience with designers and scrum masters/project managers/whatever.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

space marine todd posted:

I think the worst tech bros are the Product Managers who came into the space from consulting/IB/MBA programs. I never had that experience with designers and scrum masters/project managers/whatever.

Product management is basically straddling the line between engineering and marketing/sales and the people doing it can come from either side. Those on the former side are significantly better than those from the latter to work with as an engineering team and if they fail will have a product that works but doesn't sell for poo poo instead of a furious engineering team with zero morale.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Incredibly, this guy was gunning to run for president

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Shrecknet posted:

Why is NetFlix even in that top tier, tf do they do except make the interface worse and make it autoplay when you're browsing.

You can turn off the auto play in the options now.

While Netflix aren't as big as the others, their impact is huge in the software world, they were kind of pioneers in microservices space for example.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Netflix is in the top tier because they pay their engineers a shitton, which is a reflection of their priorities.

hobbesmaster posted:

And on the employment side it has to do with pay - all those companies will have a senior engineer approaching $300k in total comp.
Approaching? Average for Google and FB senior devs is a good bit over that I think. Netflix is at like 450k but that's skewed by apparently only having one engineering level or something? Confusing.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

levels.fyi has somewhat accurate compensation information: https://www.levels.fyi/

hobbesmaster posted:

Product management is basically straddling the line between engineering and marketing/sales and the people doing it can come from either side. Those on the former side are significantly better than those from the latter to work with as an engineering team and if they fail will have a product that works but doesn't sell for poo poo instead of a furious engineering team with zero morale.

I'm a product manager and I actually think that when it's done well, it's entirely distinct from engineering and marketing/sales. The issue is that there are *a lot* of just total bullshit product managers and product orgs out there.

So many companies are running waterfall with agile ceremonies. Ugh.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

levels.fyi has somewhat accurate compensation information: https://www.levels.fyi/

I'm a product manager and I actually think that when it's done well, it's entirely distinct from engineering and marketing/sales. The issue is that there are *a lot* of just total bullshit product managers and product orgs out there.

So many companies are running waterfall with agile ceremonies. Ugh.

"Waterfall with agile ceremony" sounds like something you'd see in a random encounter table.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Waterfall with agile ceremony" sounds like something you'd see in a random encounter table.

those companies could probably come up with better products if they just made a tabletop game out of it instead of pretending they are running agile

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's SAFe!!! https://www.scaledagileframework.com/

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Oh god, I wouldn't wish SAFe on my enemies.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

"Lean Enterprise"

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

These graphs are the living embodiment of Poe's law. If I was tasked to draw up a parody of a work framework, I don't think I could come up with something better.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
The best part is, just like in real life, the architect in their own box and connects to nothing else in the company nor contributes anything.

Also don't forget the consultant you have to hire as part of the leadership team!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Shrecknet posted:

You say this, but there's a streaming service with the categorically worst app performance, operation, and UI on literally every platform that has it (FUNimation).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

those companies could probably come up with better products if they just made a tabletop game out of it instead of pretending they are running agile

Everyone has been told for years they have to be project managers and now people who don't really PM anything are getting PM certs purely so that they look like good candidates for other jobs/promotions. They then return to jobs where they do zero actual project management, or do it wrong after cramming for the PM cert test.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Shrecknet posted:

It doesn't. But at Netflix's scale, even tiny improvements made by engineers are worth it. And I guarantee you for every feature you're vaguely aware of, there are like 5 or 10 things engineers are making that aren't user-facing or just you personally don't give a poo poo about. There's a good blog post about this here: https://danluu.com/sounds-easy/

quote:

Businesses that actually care about turning a profit will spend a lot of time (hence, a lot of engineers) working on optimizing systems, even if an MVP for the system could have been built in a weekend. There's also a wide body of research that's found that decreasing latency has a signifiacnt effect on revenue over a pretty wide range of latencies for some businesses. Increasing performance also has the benefit of reducing costs. Businesses should keep adding engineers to work on optimization until the cost of adding an engineer equals the revenue gain plus the cost savings at the margin. This is often many more engineers than people realize.

And that's just performance. Features also matter: when I talk to engineers working on basically any product at any company, they'll often find that there are seemingly trivial individual features that can add integer percentage points to revenue. Just as with performance, people underestimate how many engineers you can add to a product before engineers stop paying for themselves.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Lean Enterprise"

https://youtu.be/XHOLFZnFa0w

E: Seriously, I remember seeing this chart on the wall of an auditorium in college where software engineering courses were taught. I think one of the professors was a big proponent of this framework. I suppose the informatics majors were learning this insanity; not a good use of time IMO.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 4, 2020

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

You can turn off the auto play in the options now.

Holy poo poo thank you for mentioning this.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
auto play and inf scroll are top three worst features ever.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/DanPriceSeattle/status/1270815750769373186

Also, Uber's not having the greatest day today.

https://twitter.com/amyklobuchar/status/1270842738737643520

https://twitter.com/CSaid/status/1270849115123888128

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Megillah Gorilla posted:

"virtual walkout" :ughh:

Now I realise that didn't mean what I thought it did.

EDIT: Not a number one, but a number two.

It's more of a concrete implementation of an abstract walkout

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Multiple articles I’ve seen mentioned that “dozens” of fb employees virtually walked out.

Of 45,000? Really effecting change there, folks.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

It's more of a concrete implementation of an abstract walkout

:chanpop:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The funniest instances were when they registered the walkout as PTO, effectively withholding no labor

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Holy poo poo. I assume you all saw the news story about Ebay harassing a blogger? Sending fetal pigs to the house, ordering pizzas, sending sex toys addressed to them at the neighbor's address. Lots of ugly stuff.

Today it came out that the fricking CEO was involved. And the head of PR.

quote:

[PR Head] Wymer allegedly sent a text to [CEO]Wenig in April of last year saying, “We are going to crush this lady” after the newsletter published a story about Wenig’s compensation, according to the indictment.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Wow. Holy poo poo indeed

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Holy poo poo. I assume you all saw the news story about Ebay harassing a blogger? Sending fetal pigs to the house, ordering pizzas, sending sex toys addressed to them at the neighbor's address. Lots of ugly stuff.

Today it came out that the fricking CEO was involved. And the head of PR.

It's almost like Uber's CIO trying to dig up dirt on a rape victim to smear her and protect the company normalized this behavior.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/extremelysquid/status/1273630035371532294

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
More evidence that twitter is 100% garbage.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
https://twitter.com/poemdexter/status/1273730069693976577

I did this during our last refinement session and no one seemed to mind. I even had my mic on so they could hear the d8 hitting the desk. SAFe is a joke.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Make sure the dice is only fibonacci numbers!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

pentyne posted:

It's almost like Uber's CIO trying to dig up dirt on a rape victim to smear her and protect the company normalized this behavior.

I"d say that it always was normal behavior, but that the availability of social media has made it somewhat likelier that the victim can get attention.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sociopathy is a trait we select for in corporate executives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

And, boy, is our breeding program getting results!