Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

suck my woke dick posted:

I suspect it's 500 for the kind of lidar you put on a fancy Arduino project, 5k for the kind that's semi reliable getting rained on and rattled around as an automotive part?

The $500 figure comes from a company advertising a new, cheaper LIDAR system for cars. No clue how many of those units you'd need and whether it is already available as a commercial product. With a 120° FoV, that would be ~$1500 for full coverage, if that is even necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Kaal posted:

Yeah even after Google spent quite a bit of time trying to drive down costs and get a scale economy going, the sensors cost at least $7,500 per car. Tesla's perspective is basically that lidar technology just isn't affordable for consumer goods, and it presents its own problems that will require cameras in any case (lidar can't read signs or distinguish objects, for example), so it's much better to rely on a technology that is nearly as accurate and actually could be produced.

so, cutting corners to get the thing out the door because corporate profit is more important than public safety

gee i can see why everyone calls this visionary

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

so, cutting corners to get the thing out the door because corporate profit is more important than public safety

gee i can see why everyone calls this visionary

That's a pretty incurious take.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
turns out tesla tells the california DMV the safer words the buying public doesn't get to hear

quote:

As you know, Autopilot is an optional suite of driver-assistance featuresthat arerepresentative of SAE Level 2 automation(SAE L2). Features that comprise Autopilot are Traffic-Aware Cruise Controland Autosteer. Full Self-Driving (FSD) Capabilityis an additionaloptional suite of features that builds fromAutopilot and isalso representative of SAE L2. Features that comprise FSD Capability are Navigate on Autopilot, Auto Lane Change, Autopark, Summon, Smart Summon, Traffic and Stop Sign Control, and, upcoming, Autosteer on City Streets(City Streets). While we designed these features to become more capable over time through over-the-airsoftware updates, currently neither Autopilot nor FSD Capability is an autonomous system, and currently no comprising feature, whether singularly or collectively, is autonomous or makes our vehicles autonomous.This includes the limited pilot release of City Streets.

on dec 28

https://www.plainsite.org/documents/242a2g/california-dmv-tesla-robotaxi--fsd-emails/

turns out when you don't have a PR or marketing department to counteract the twitter promises of nerd trump, people don't have an accurate picture of what the system can do

it's certainly not shady at all that tesla charges thousands of dollars for this suite of autonomous driving features which are not in any way autonomous, per tesla's legal team

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Kaal posted:

Yeah even after Google spent quite a bit of time trying to drive down costs and get a scale economy going, the sensors cost at least $7,500 per car. Tesla's perspective is basically that lidar technology just isn't affordable for consumer goods, and it presents its own problems that will require cameras in any case (lidar can't read signs or distinguish objects, for example), so it's much better to rely on a technology that is nearly as accurate and actually could be produced.

"Nearly as accurate"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfmAG4dk-rU&t=10s

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I suspect it's 500 for the kind of lidar you put on a fancy Arduino project, 5k for the kind that's semi reliable getting rained on and rattled around as an automotive part?

I mean....$500 robot vacuums have lidar at this point. I'm sure this is more a conversation about lidar with sufficient accuracy/speed/durability.

Edit: And yeah....."nearly as acurate" but you didn't even need lidar to prevent that. I believe the emergency braking systems in Volvos (and I think Toyota does it now too) are radar based. You know, the same front facing radar you need for adaptive cruise control anyway. It should have been trivial to detect a massive unmoving object directly in front of the car long enough ahead of time to STOP. Certainly in enough time to change lanes.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 20, 2021

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Motronic posted:

I mean....$500 robot vacuums have lidar at this point. I'm sure this is more a conversation about lidar with sufficient accuracy/speed/durability.

There's a new generation of solid-state AESA lidar systems that have been touted by manufacturers Luminar and Velodyne as being the $500-$1000 lidar we've all been waiting for. But while they've signed a variety of deals with car manufacturers wanting improved assisted driving and autonomous vehicle startups that want to go all the way, it all remains in prototyping. Luminar sold 100 lidar units in 2020 and Velodyne's stock has cratered in recent months.

Hopefully they'll be able to work things out, because currently operational units like those rotating cones used by Waymo cost $7,500 and have very limited range. They wouldn't have prevented any highway crashes, for example, because they don't work at over 40 kph. Those crashes are tricky problems in any case, and lidar-based vehicles have plenty of issues with them too. Detection isn't the issue, it's confirmation that it isn't just an overhead sign, a plastic bag, or a slow-moving truck. The real value for lidar isn't so much that it could replace cameras and radar, but rather that adding a third sensor system would mean there would always be a second way of confirming a confusing reading. I'd assume the op knows that and is just poo poo posting Tesla.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 20, 2021

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Don't the newest iPhones have Lidar? Glue a few of those to your car and problem solved.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Silly Burrito posted:

Don't the newest iPhones have Lidar? Glue a few of those to your car and problem solved.

A Tesla with a fifteen foot viewing range might not have the reaction time necessary to avoid obstacles... :v:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Silly Burrito posted:

Considering how expensive Iphones are, probably would end up more expensive.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

The roof of the truck was painted black so the AI couldn't see it

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Jose Valasquez posted:

The roof of the truck was painted black so the AI couldn't see it

My theory: the Tesla doesn't use HDR processing, so the white roof of the truck matched the blinding white of the horizon because they were overwhelmed with light.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If you are experiencing issues with your Tesla FSD, please try updating your drivers.

:rimshot:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

eXXon posted:

If you are experiencing issues with your Tesla FSD, please try updating your drivers.

:rimshot:

It's all PEBWAC errors.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Silly Burrito posted:

Ah yes, the Model 3 dash replacement

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

The next iPhone will be driveable.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Speaking of electric vehicles, Biden is doing a virtual tour of the Proterra electric vehicle battery manufacturing facility right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob3jh3EOOhw

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

Considering how expensive Iphones are, probably would end up more expensive.

what if we used gameboy cameras instead?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

PhazonLink posted:

what if we used gameboy cameras instead?

what if we used $0.01 photoresistors instead

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
What if we used pigeons pecking at images.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Mister Facetious posted:

My theory: the Tesla doesn't use HDR processing, so the white roof of the truck matched the blinding white of the horizon because they were overwhelmed with light.

Isn't that what the NTSB said in the harry potter crash?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

fusion

and also fusion actually works, the only challenge is making it work affordably and safely. we could totally build a fusion power plant today that's a large cavity where we flash water into steam by blasting it with a steady stream of thermonuclear warheads

Fusion power totally works. We’ve got a fusion power source operating at a safe distance and have a proven way of harnessing the photons emitted to create clean power.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

This is pretty much comma.ai, only it seems to combine the "just use a phone" idea with Elon's "cameras only" for the something even worse, which is maybe why they keep running afoul of the DMV, who are imposing strong penalties for...

"This said, Comma.ai problematically hasn’t committed to regularly publishing any sort of statistics beyond miles driven, like disengagements or accidents. California’s Department of Motor Vehicles mandates that all companies testing autonomous cars report disengagements, but because Comma.ai doesn’t have a permit to test cars, it’s exempt from this requirement."
https://venturebeat.com/2020/01/07/comma-ai-launches-comma-two-a-999-kit-that-imbues-cars-with-assisted-driving-features/

oh.

BeeSeeBee fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 21, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

duz posted:

Not familiar with that one offhand, my knowledge of Tesla crashes is limited to this thread posting tweets and news articles.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/04/20/tesla-crash-victims/

quote:

Witnesses told the police that the accident happened shortly after the victims left a house, saying they would test automated driving capability.

Texas police told Reuters they would seek search warrants to secure vehicle data, after Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk tweeted that the company's data showed the vehicle was not operating on Autopilot.

So I guess they just......put a brick on the accelerator and let er rip? Or is this the "4 seconds before the crash the car exited autopilot and notified the driver to resume control of the vehicle" kind of "not operating on autopilot"?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Motronic posted:

So I guess they just......put a brick on the accelerator and let er rip? Or is this the "4 seconds before the crash the car exited autopilot and notified the driver to resume control of the vehicle" kind of "not operating on autopilot"?

CYA in the most cynical way possible.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Not familiar with that one offhand, my knowledge of Tesla crashes is limited to this thread posting tweets and news articles.

It was one of the first autopilot deaths. The car drove the guy under a tractor trailer, ripping the roof clean off, decapitating him (I think?), and then continuing to drive for a bit. He was watching Harry Potter on a DVD player at the time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Autopilot#:~:text=The%20first%20U.S.%20Autopilot%20fatality,18%2Dwheel%20tractor%2Dtrailer.

The car saw this, and treated the side of the trailer as the sky, so the yellow path was followed as though there was no obstacle in the way.

And seeing as that was in 2016, and the image above is from 2019, it wasn't so much fixed. Also it's killed again.
https://electrek.co/2019/03/01/tesla-driver-crash-truck-trailer-autopilot/

duz posted:

Tesla even said as much but made sure to blame the driver all the same.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/tragic-loss

"Neither Autopilot nor the driver noticed the white side of the tractor trailer against a brightly lit sky, so the brake was not applied. The high ride height of the trailer combined with its positioning across the road and the extremely rare circumstances of the impact caused the Model S to pass under the trailer, with the bottom of the trailer impacting the windshield of the Model S."

BeeSeeBee fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 21, 2021

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Motronic posted:

Gonna guess the Autopilot disengage lines up with the tire-smoking panic brake.

E: gently caress I thought I was responding to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3hrKnv0dPQ

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 21, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

goatsestretchgoals posted:

E: gently caress I thought I was responding to

Of course you thought you were. Because it's all the same poo poo over and over that's not getting fixed. So it's entirely understandable.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I assume the "Harry Potter crash" referred to a situation where the car was driving itself and then flew into a tree.

That's probably also happened, in a sense.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Motronic posted:

I won't be surprised if Musk is just flat out lying. Wouldn't be the first time.

Either way, the owner clearly thought the car could drive itself since he was talking about showing off autopilot and wasn't in the driver's seat when the crash happened. Whether it was actually in autopilot or not Tesla's false advertising is the root cause.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i like how you can see the back of the truck and the bars they have to prevent a car crash having a 100% kill rate. lol Musk and his muskrats are going to get crash bars added to the sides of trucks and make the action movie "drive under the truck" stunts impossible.

future movie nerds : wellactuallly this movie in universe is set before Musk or in an alt. universe where Musk wasn't born.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

PT6A posted:

I assume the "Harry Potter crash" referred to a situation where the car was driving itself and then flew into a tree.

That's probably also happened, in a sense.

Indeed, that's the one that just happened in Houston the past week. No one in the driver's seat, drove into a tree and exploded.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/intidc/status/1384438899443908610

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

To be fair, it probably is safe these days to assume that everything you have ever typed into a website has been leaked at some point.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

withak posted:

To be fair, it probably is safe these days to assume that everything you have ever typed into a website has been leaked at some point.

Lowtax is collating all of our shitposts to leak to someone

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If anyone outside of SA ever finds out how mad I've gotten about video games, my non-existent political career is donezo.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Why leak them when you can just pay ten bucks for archives :v:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Worse than that: They're already public!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Remember when the Danganronpa thread was put behind the paywall and the internet lost its poo poo.