Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bubbacub posted:

Elizabeth Holmes is presenting Theranos data at the AACC conference today. If she presents a pile of bullshit, it definitely won't fly in front a room full of scientists.

Why even do this? She's largely dead in the water, and the scientific community has lambasted her already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's even better than that. They installed fake Web browsers in their stores so the salesperson could go to Bestbuy.com and show you the deal you wanted didn't really exist.

Best Buy has been noted for their bait and switch tactics in the past. I briefly worked for Geek Squad when I was a teen, and was the only one actually with any certifications.

Initially, it was all about fixing customer's machines (Best Buy had JUST acquired Geek Squad), but then it became about selling people new computers, even lying about their machine being infected beyond the point of no return.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There was a time when -- I am not making this up -- Best Buy would kick you out if they saw you writing down prices for comparison.

They still do. Happened to me, I was comparing prices to Frys and Microcenter.

Some floor manager came up to me and told me I'd have to leave.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cowofwar posted:

Bigbox is on the way out.

For the most part yet, but you still have Frys and Microcenter that have low overhead, few stores, and are very hobbyist friendly, so they keep customers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cowofwar posted:

Our local Asian computer store chains, Canada Computers in Ontario and NCIX(Netlink) in BC are doing well and expanding but their stores are like 1/100th of the size yet somehow more useful.

Local Microcenter has tons of Arduino/Hobbyist Electronics stuff, and is not even a quarter of the size of Best Buy, but has more products and better selection.

Its been my go to since Radioshack finally shriveled.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Everyone is ditching Skype for Slack

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lady Naga posted:

Slack is Discord for yuppies and old people.

Its an IRC reboot

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Cisco is dying outside of long haul datacenter poo poo. Good to see too, because they take such an antiquated engineering view of long haul networks.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Atlanta's "Solution" is to build more toll lanes.

gently caress you Atlanta. gently caress you.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'm glad that gawker is dead and that florida man teamed up w/ the libertarian vampire to do it

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/23/first-thiel-now-the-trumps-how-billionaires-threaten-free-speech

quote:

Less than 24 hours after Gawker.com was killed by billionaire Peter Thiel’s legal crusade against it, another billionaire couple – Donald and Melania Trump – is already using the same law firm Thiel did to threaten more media organizations into silence. And this time, it could have a direct effect on the presidential election.

The Guardian reported late on Monday night that Melania Trump’s lawyers have sent threatening letters and are considering filing lawsuits against a variety of media organizations – including the Daily Mail, Politico and the Week – for reporting on rumors of Melania Trump’s past, including her alleged immigration status when she came to the United States.

We were sometimes bullies at Gawker – but we held the powerful to account
Joshua David Stein
Read more
This is the quintessential example of the disturbing precedent Peter Thiel has just set by creating a blueprint for billionaires to destroy news organizations they do not like. He has shown that all they need is a little persistence. And in a media landscape that is increasingly dominated by the rich and powerful, that should give even Gawker’s most ardent critics pause.

We know Donald Trump and others have gone down this path before. Trump has openly bragged about the fact that he sued a former New York Times reporter in the early aughts for the purpose of trying to hit the reporter involved financially. Trump did lose that lawsuit, but not until after litigation that undoubtedly cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees for the winning party.

And if you think the Trumps are litigious now, just wait until after November. Peter Scheer, director of the First Amendment coalition, explained the consequences of the Gawker case succinctly:

Say five years from now, if Trump loses and people are writing critical postmortems, will they have to worry that Trump will turn around and sue them? Because of the Gawker trial, I fear that many journalists will wonder, “Could that happen to me, even in writing about Trump?” They will be censoring themselves. That is the worst outcome here, and it’s quite likely.

But Trump is not the only culprit. In yet another ominous example, Mother Jones, the liberal nonprofit magazine known for its investigative journalism, spent millions of dollars in legal fees when another billionaire, Frank VanderSloot, sued the company and its reporters over a critical story and some tweets from its editors. Mother Jones won the case last year, relatively early in the process, but still faced an existential financial crisis because of the enormous legal costs associated with the lawsuit. VanderSloot then announced a million-dollar fund to be used for suing Mother Jones and additional members of the “liberal press” in other cases.

Even in the Hulk Hogan case, though many people rightly found the story and sex tape offensive and argued it shouldn’t have been published to begin with, a federal judge and an appeals court panel both ruled Gawker was protected by the first amendment before the trial, and they were prevented from having an appeals court rule on the judgment before they filed for bankruptcy.

But we shouldn’t forget that Gawker was not just getting sued over the Hulk Hogan sex tape case. They were the recipient of a half-dozen other lawsuits or legal threats involving many stories of an investigative or critical nature that virtually any first-year law student could tell you are clearly protected by the first amendment.

In the end, even if you think Gawker deserved punishment, media organizations should not face the financial death penalty for a mistake, even a deplorable and egregious one. After all, there is probably one billionaire or another who hates pretty much every news organization in the world worth their salt. If they all decide to go down the path Thiel took, how many publications will be left when they’re done?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Non Serviam posted:

EDIT: Theranos withdrew the request for emergency clearance of their Zika test.
http://fortune.com/2016/08/31/theranos-zika-test-application/

I thought Theranos was basically done for?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Non Serviam posted:

They're fighting that status.

They had a big conference with scientists, where they were going to put all doubts to rest.

... Then they didn't answer any question about their bullshit tech, and used their conference to shill their NEW AND IMPROVED tests for, among others, zika virus.

Now they back pedaled on that. It's beautiful

I guess the real question is how many actual Scientists and Engineers they can actually keep now? I doubt many are not spit shining their resumes and getting interviews.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm pretty sure Holmes is a supervillain. The movie should end with Ben Affleck throwing her in Arkham Asylum for the rest of her natural life.

The worst part is its the stereotypical story: Clueless Management who don't understand the technology they are trying to invent/market, who just try to hush up their actual employees who know anything, all while giving presentations and songs and dances about something that they don't even grasp.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VideoGameVet posted:

I'm just saying that a bicycle is a nice way of running errands and possibly commuting. If you have hills in your area, the training benefits are there as well.

Yeah but you live in American where people drive like assholes and very few bike lanes actually go the entire way from your house/apartment to a store. Also makes a lot of assumptions about the health/physical capabilities of the average American.

Honestly, suggesting people bike everywhere feels classist in the United States at least.

Speaking of Smart TVs and tech nightmares:
https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1406887601647370240?s=20

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 23, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah. Many older American houses have "cross-ventilation", where many/most rooms have two windows placed so that the wind can blow in one window and out the other. A lot of newer houses have one window per room.

Our house has an attic fan that's mounted in the ceiling kind of for this purpose, where you can suck air into the house and blow it out the attic.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fame Douglas posted:

Most keyless entry systems are hilariously insecure, they're not adding to the security.

Yeah keyless systems are hilariously easy to do replay attacks on. There's no added security.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Volmarias posted:

Yeah, there's this too. When I got my car the salesman looked at me like I had a second head when I tried explaining that I don't actually want keyless.

My Q7 TDI came with keyless and I disabled it with the VAGCOM and just use the keyslot, because the Q7 still had both the normal ignition key slot and keyless in 2010.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Apples motivation is to lock you into their ecosystem and make you buy new products every year, or at least that's what they pitch to their investors.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

It runs an ancient Debian variant, give the security issues of your average SOHO devices like Routers and NAS's this happens surprisingly often.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TACD posted:

I don’t even understand who’s making money from this?

Probably being used to do sales analytics and see how people respond to products.

Either way its loving dystopian and stupid.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Solkanar512 posted:

The comments, holy poo poo.

https://twitter.com/mannistom/status/1408825918559293446?s=21

How does someone’s brain become so broken?

Dynamic pricing AKA the more people buy it they'll start driving up the price.

Jesus. They want to scarcity price products on demand, that's dystopian as hell.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Booourns posted:

"We're not price gouging by charging $100 for a case of water, the algorithm dynamically decided to charge that much so it's OK"

"Our Algorithms were built and programmed by the cheapest possible outsourcing team we could find in East Asia"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Because of China cracking down on Bitcoin miners (rightfully so) they are moving....

.....to Texas. A state whose power grid could be described as less than adequate for even its current demand

https://twitter.com/notbind/status/1409532427047899139?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
We bought a brand new Samsung Smart TV, and not only was the SmartTV portion slower than molasses, I noticed it was dumping traffic on my IoT VLAN, lots of advertising and trackers. Not really scary, but very noisy and not ideal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

And Texas deserves them.

Watch Chinese Venture Capitalist techbros buy out ERCOT.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tehdas posted:

Prolly the few exceptions would be in environmental impact, which is a big fat negative. (OTOH the the pre-IR just lacked the ability to gently caress up the environment, it’s not like their societies were setup to avoid environmental damage)

While they couldn't gently caress up the global environment, their local environments were their own kind of hell, especially in big cities.

(not pre-industrial, but the Thames was heavily polluted even before the industrial age)

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 30, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

duz posted:

they have been doing that for like a year now, im not sure anyone has confirmed it actually works

There's groups that will remove and filter the copyrighted music for you, so it really only stops people unaware of that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/KateLibc/status/1411692767495942153?s=20

https://twitter.com/RSAConference/status/1411480627455614991?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MickeyFinn posted:

Based on the use of “perpetual motion,” someone is trolling.

In this case it's a true believer sort

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Karia posted:

A "30 year veteran" in blockchain and decentralized finance? Sure, buddy. Sure.

Well, he was a thought leader, so he thought about it before it was even a thing, man...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/bigendiansmalls/status/1412583168998350848?s=19

This is good, don't know how enforceable it'll be, but Right to Repair is a big deal to me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nothingtoseehere posted:

America spends 18% of it's GDP on healthcare, when even rich european nations spend 11%-12% for much better quality service. While I agree that those jobs can be cut and it would only increase quality of care, cutting 4%-5% of your GDP in spending is going to have massive short term economic damage, even if it will be better used in the long run.

Most of the jobs impacted would be insurance middle management and employees as well as hospital administration, since that's where the vast majority of our healthcare spend goes.

https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1410974462531440641?s=20

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 7, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Doggles posted:

https://twitter.com/DeanTrantalis/status/1412563013383737344

Picture an Anakin/Padme meme with Padme saying, "A Tesla can't catch on fire underwater, right?"

If we start calling Subways Pods instead, think people will bite?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Beelzebufo posted:

has the boring company actually managed to make a tunnel yet? I thought that the one in Vegas fell apart before they even started digging. How credulous do you have to be to believe the claims of a company with no sucessful projects to date.

Its under construction, but given that its entirely dependent upon personal vehicles, we can practically predict its failure with certainty.

https://twitter.com/wtyppod/status/1412692769550880768?s=20

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 7, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mister Facetious posted:

They're privately owned and run

To build on this: In many cases, the doctors and nurses in the hospital are not even employees of the hospital but contractors working for smaller groups. This is what enables surprise billing even when a hospital says your insurance covers something. Oh, the hospital covers it, but Doctor Z is actually with so-and-so LLC who does not accept your insurance.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

human garbage bag posted:

Ok, this doesn't seem to be the fault of the insurance companies though. More of a problem of education where patients don't understand who they have to pay for service.

The insurance companies benefit, because they don't have to pay. And the doctors specifically avoid education the patients for this exact reason.

So no, the insurance companies are not innocent to this. They don't WANT to pay. Surprise Billing benefits them as much as it benefits the doctors who do it.

Consent is required before performing paid work. I can't just walk over to your car and pump up your tires and then demand payment, you have to agree to the service first. The same goes for hospitals. I remember when I was in there for surgery I had to sign an agreement with every single doctor who worked with me. Only the nurses were covered by the hospital agreement.

That consent in no way tells you whether you are covered by your insurance, you actually have to go after the doctors and DEMAND they tell you whether they accept your insurance.

How do you do that when you are keeled over in pain or unconscious and bleeding and just arrived by (a very expensive, often not covered) ambulance?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The doctor is not the one doing the MRI, so it's ok that they don't know what it costs. The MRI center will know that. When I had my MRI the doctor just referred me to the MRI center, and then I did business with them separately.

"Oops. the hospital said it was covered, but we decided it was unnecessary and out of network anyways." - Literally what my Health Insurance pulled on me with an MRI for severe gastro pains. No amount of checking (and I did check to see if it was covered, if the person doing it was covered) prepares you for it.

"Sorry your leg was crushed for 45 minutes and an ER doctor verified the need for a life flight to prevent you losing it, but it was not medically neccessary in our eyes so you owe us $90,000" - My health insurance after having a car crush my leg despite the ER docs insistence that it was both necessary and in network.

You really seem out of touch with how bad the US Healthcare industry is.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I would call ahead of time to make sure they took my insurance, or told me the cost if I'm uninsured. I wouldn't buy a candy bar if I didn't know the price, let alone a health procedure.

"Yes hello I'm bent over in pain please give me your best price for an MRI to help solve the excruciating pain. Oh, you don't know and I'm about about to pass out from the pain, well let me shop around."

IK: I'm gonna call this your warning Human Garbage Bag, knock it off with the hot takes

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 7, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

HootTheOwl posted:

That sounds like a rational, patient, decision you wouldn't actually make because as stated: You're in continuous pain with no end in sight. The price is irrelevant, it could be infinity dollars and you'd pay it because the choice are find out what's wrong with you or kill yourself.

Oh man, imagine you being unconscious and having to shop around for best price. A healthcare shoppers paradise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

HootTheOwl posted:

Have a list of acceptable hospitals tattooed to your chest along with instructions to call ahead to make sure there's been no update in their insurance policy.

A big tattooed list you have to check off with sharpies before the doctor can continue.