Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Uber drivers are paid based on the passenger's fare, which means they don't get an hourly wage (hence the whole independent contractor line) and since they're not employees they also have to pay their own vehicle maintenance, insurance, rental lease or loan payments on the vehicle itself, fuel costs, and others I'm probably forgetting. Any time you see an $X/hour statement regarding Uber drivers it's an abstraction, if you work at a slow time or area you could easily earn nothing but still be technically working.

That's one of the reasons why somebody might put in a 19 hour day as an Uber driver, lack of fares, another is not being able to make enough money off of the fares they do get, since every time they cut prices it hurts the drivers who get paid out of that money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

blah_blah posted:

I mean, most medallion owners/renters aren't getting an hourly wage either, so the existing taxi system isn't a triumph of worker's rights. A few long-standing medallion owners have gotten very rich, the costs have been passed onto the consumer through lack of competition and regulatory capture, and there has been no innovation for decades.

I agree with you there, the real issue is that Uber drivers have no control over their own income except by working more hours and taking more fares, while a medallion owner or lessee can set his own rates, depending on local legislation. Meanwhile Uber ignores all that by virtue of because they said so and because there's no real regulatory oversight drivers have no recourse aside from not working for Uber if picking up their fares results in not earning a living wage.

Honestly the whole system is due for a sea change of some sort, hopefully Uber will shake things up in the right way in the long run but right now it's not looking like it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

blah_blah posted:

I've actually never been to a city where cabs have the option of setting their own rates -- I can't imagine that this is a common thing. And the fact that rent-seeking medallion owners might be able to exploit the artificial scarcity created by the medallion system to further reduce the profits of their lessees doesn't seem like a positive aspect of the system.

Well yeah, both sides have aspects that are messed up. I almost want to live in the future of Hot Tub Time Machine 2 at this point, where all the cars drive themselves and nobody seems to own them, but they're legally allowed to kill you if you're not nice to them. At least then nobody would be working 12+ hours a day to make ends meet without healthcare.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

redscare posted:

It gets better!

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/techflash/2016/02/zenefits-jet-com-parker-conrad-compliance-scandal.html

They couldn't scale and lost their biggest customer. A shameful unicorn.

A thousand plus employees was their break point? Truly a shameful unicorn, in some industries over a thousand employees is still a small business.

shrike82 posted:

tbf, start-ups of the sorta we're talking about would probably sneer at the notion of MBAs

Well yeah, because people with MBAs are hopefully trained to look for things like a sustainable business model or a profit margin.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, I do a moderate amount of gaming on my PC and I've basically only replaced parts over the last several years as they've died or if a really, really good deal popped up. I remember the constant upgrade cycle of the 90s and early 00s, and things are just a lot different now. The idea of a 4+ year old midrange computer still being capable of playing games maxed out would have been unthinkable back then.

Well that's primarily because we reached a point where upping the clock speed on a computer got far too energy intensive. I was reading a page (posted earlier in this thread I believe) where they mentioned that a 7 GHz Intel prototype ran at 150 watts of waste heat. Now advances are simply additive instead of exponential in consumer computers. Barring a huge shift in development, an i5 is going to run most games for the next five years.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

NihilismNow posted:

It won't be. Unless you are very lucky your software will be using a a ton of deprecated API's from 1996.

Or older, if it's scientific or medical equipment.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Also it's Chinese which remains the new hotness in VC/speculator realms.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it's better to allow people to pay to opt out of advertising when even my mom knows what an adblocker is and how to install one

Which is why the smart advertising money goes into product placement these days, car companies in particular will pay princely sums for clear shots of vehicle logos and features.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yes, it would only be gentrification if fiber was pushed into a lower income area and then rents and property values became too high as a result pushing poor people out. What you're seeing instead is simply capitalism in action, lower income people tend not to have a demand for high speed internet access for various reasons, primarily a lack of luxury items like high end gaming PC's and current generation consoles. If they have phones or tablets those are their primary means of accessing the internet, otherwise they will use their local library.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

For a consulting operation, sales is overhead since you can't bill sales hours to the client directly. That said, making 10% or less of billable is pretty messed up for a skills based position.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Reading an article on this, it indicated that Palantir execs aren't planning on taking the company public... which means they'll likely do a sweetheart deal like happened to Good Technologies where the employee (common) shares were worth pennies on the dollar while the VC (preferred) shares were worth actual money when they got bought out.

Whether this is true or not remains to be seen, but whoever put up those flyers is apparently of the opinion such a deal is happening or likely to happen soon.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

ocrumsprug posted:

Companies offering stock options, while also having no intention of going public was a thing during dot.com v1.0 as well.

Which is the biggest con since Ghengis. that leaves your employees with what are essentially worthless chits since the amount of stock provided (common, always common) is never large enough to sell off in a block through private brokerage individually at a price that is actually worth their while, but they still have to pay taxes on the supposed value of the stock.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The problem, as is per usual with tech intended to replace trains (why do techbros hate trains so much?) is the laws of physics. If they're not physically linked they need their own engine which means more fuel, more maintenance, more ways for the following truck to suddenly swerve because of an error call and plow through everything in the adjacent lane or go flying off a cliff.

I know it's probably classified but I wonder what the loss rate on those Afghanistan trucks was in the field.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That reminds me my town has bus service, and it's possibly significantly less carbon waste than cars. Some of the buses are electric (so that depends on power generation) and the rest are LPG. I have no idea where LPG stands as far as carbon footprint but I'm guessing it's less than Diesel since they switched the whole fleet away from diesel.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Thanks Ants posted:

The VCs funding obvious scams are probably more to blame than the people running them

I don't know about that but the VCs are definitely not left holding the bag a lot of times, like they should.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If he avoids hazardous chemicals, moisturizes and using sun screen he could look like that well into his late thirties.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They let the robot through. Imagine what they could have done if they'd had time to coordinate with Uber Eats and the robot delivery company. Like send a bomb or put a flashbang in the delivery port.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Huh, I thought WeWork crashed and burned once the pricing on office space restabilized with everybody being forced back to work in the office again.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Linux is a good choice if you have an IT staff with chops in Linux development which is something a lot of school districts do not have. But I'd say Android tablets would be the best hardware/software solution. You can use custom firmware to lock the things down and there's plenty of vetted apps that won't steal your personal information.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Didn't they eventually put in a nonverbal cue for picture taking, but had it make a sound every time a picture was taken?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah this is one of those things where the tech companies saw the writing on the wall and decided to get ahead of the legal regulations. If you do something voluntarily you can usually get away with the cheapest option (in this case just adding some code to the camera app on your phone) and it will be done the way you want it, instead of some legislature who might decide to have different standards in different locales.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah I have to say both of those were very derivative. They were both propelled by good press.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

What's this about soccer being invented in Italy, I've never heard that.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

OctaMurk posted:

elon overpaid for twitter and now he wants everyone else to overpay too

It's this, now that Elon owns Twitter he has to do what previous Twitter executives have only barely scratched the surface on, making the website profitable.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You know he could have sent that car to Mars with just a little more effort on his engineers behalf. Instead it's just on a lazy orbit that will return to earth some million years in the future.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

BlueBlazer posted:

That's the Musk playbook.

Elon Musk, god's willing, will be shoved in a locker.

Why do I have a feeling that he has an instinctual knowledge of every locker large enough for shoving near him.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The free market is a boogieman, it has no real power except what we give to it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Does Elon even take a salary at Twitter?

I mean he certainly could but it would be better for staff morale if he didn't.

Also he should hire back their advertising liaison.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 4, 2022

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

TACD posted:

As far as I understand it, now that Twitter is private it has no obligation to disclose any of its financial details. Which means that everybody will be merely speculating about how much money it’s losing, while Elon will be motivated to lie through his hole about how amazingly profitable it is. Which also means that his inflated ego and sense of pride might cause him to perpetually funnel his personal wealth into this zombie company instead of admitting it’s a failure and trying to sell it off.

I can tell you right now he's never getting his money back on this deal.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's not anybody's motto, it's something Bill Gates said in like 2013.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh I doubt the Tesla engineers will have firing powers, Musk is planning on firing half the staff at what is essentially random.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah I was pointed to a tweet thread earlier from the head of twitters ui experience team where they're all pitching the employees because they need jobs on unfortunately short notice.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Do funko pops even have resale value?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Eating for two hours straight will wreck your metabolism if you fast for 22 hours. In other words, it'll make you fat.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

As far as I know the muskmelon still owns X.com, it's probably pretty valuable as single letter domain names go.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Isn't r&d at Facebook making a video deepfake machine?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Or at least lower the loving price. Insulin is goddamned murderous with its prices currently.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Man they really need to work on their cars before they start adding all this auto drive bullshit that keeps getting people killed. Like take it easy and teach the car to parallel park first, then when it has that down add finding its own parking space instead of this no hands on the wheel on turbo mode nonsense.

I just remembered that the Tesla has a last second disable autopilot feature so the driver is always responsible for all crashes.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yes everyone who mines Bitcoin has a link to child abuse imagery on their blockchain. It's just one of those things they can't do anything about except kill the link target because the blockchain can only be added to, never deleted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Twerk from Home posted:

Auto parallel parking is much harder without ultrasonic sensors, which a 2009 Ford Focus may have, but a 2023 Tesla Model Y does not.

Yeah Musk hates sensors for some reason and will only let his engineers put video cameras on his precious cars even though video is a terrible sensor because of lags in throughput and immense processing power to tell apart stop signs from children.