Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

shrike82 posted:

Seems pretty innocuous to me.

My favorite parts are how shocked they are by the bamboo scaffolding as opposed to "traditional metal" like nothing more than five feet high was built ever built by humanity before aluminum or glass fibre hybrid and this sentence: "It was a great meal, but felt very foreign."

On a scale of great Chinese stories ranging from Handbreezy to Iron Monkey I'd give it a solid Haier.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I wasn't sure where to post this but God drat.

"Wealthy San Francisco tech investors bankroll bid to ban homeless camps "

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/oct/12/san-francisco-homeless-proposition-q-tech-investors

Wasn't there a statistic a few months ago where they found that something crazy like 70% of SF's homeless camp inhabitants were residents until like a year and half ago?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Landsknecht posted:

Blue Apron would make sense if they could deliver some quality, interesting products at a non-prohibitive price, although they haven't been able to do this yet.

If I'm interested in making some Punjabi food, which I know nothing about, it would be neat to be able to order a cooled box which would have everything I need portioned out and ready to cook, along with instructions, all for less than the cost of taking my girlfriend and me out for similar food at a restaurant. However, they aren't there yet, and I don't know if they ever will be.

This and the next few pages of this thread have been an interesting read as my wife and I just cancelled our Blue Apron account recently. We have a lot of the same complaints people have already mentioned here. Each week there's two decent meals and the one that I could have made with random stuff in the fridge without thinking. We also had similar questions about who this is really for. We first tried it because we don't always have time to pick up groceries regularly near our respective workplaces (our home is in a bit of a void as far as produce goes). But like, some have said here they put a lot of money into pretty pictures of the food and not enough other parts of the experience. I mean do I really need the random insert with each box that's a full color page talking about a random ingredient? Like thanks I had no idea cheese is a thing made from milk or that sesame seeds are commonly used in hummus. Seeing Blue Apron talked about in this thread makes more sense now though. Everything weird about it is less weird and more "we designed this for techbros who have never touched a raw ingredient before in their entire lives and will pay a premium to not have to walk into a market."

It seems like such a great idea on the surface but like a lot of the wannabe-unicorns in this thread it's not actually produced with anyone other than its creators in mind.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is knowing what hummus is made of or some uses of sesame seeds really such common knowledge that it's worth getting huffy about? A major focus of the whole idea seems like it's giving people a tutorial in ingredients that they might not have used before but not stuff that is so exotic they will never be able to get that again. I think they love the idea of you trying a dish, saying "I really liked this ingredient" then wanting to look at other things that use that (through their service or otherwise)

I actually love that idea and am not huffy about it at all (unless "we ended up cancelling the service for ___ reasons" qualifies as getting huffy :P ). What I mean is they spend a lot of money on surface stuff like having the ingredient trivia be on a two sided 8 1/2 x 11 full color laminated card stock with a bunch of high resolution imagery on it that might be better be spent on other aspects of the service like better writing for people that aren't as skilled in the kitchen etc. As far as the exotic-ness of the stuff goes, that's in the eye of the beholder. In our own experience the ingredients are less "this is slightly exotic" and more "this is really trendy now so we can get a ton of it in bulk." In the instances where a less common food item was listed they actually sent a cheaper common version of it instead. It's just recently that they include cards noting these substitutions, but if your goal is semi-exotic ingredients and several times in a row you don't deliver on that and try to bullshit people about it LMAO nope.

But again as a service it can have different positive things for different people, just everything about it that mattered to us they failed to deliver on in a bunch of minors ways in a row, so it's not for us.

Liquid Communism posted:

Generally such places are more looking for steady donations they can rely on, not just to be a clearinghouse for when someone overpreps.

I would argue about this a lot since Walgreens bought Duane Reade (basically Walgreens but older and just in NY/NJ). Basically a lot of those locations in NYC are both open 24 hours and sell prepared/premade food. A massive massive massive quantity of it just gets dumped at the end of the day. Like you literally have to destroy and dispose of it at like 2AM in front of homeless people asking if it's all spoiled or not (it's not). I worked in one location and no joke just that one store would be tossing like $300 (at cost) of stuff like prepared sandwiches and stuff every two days it was nuts. This particular store was near DR's corporate headquarters so everything had to look fully stocked all the time on the one in a trillion chance that any of the executives would ever actually enter one of the stores, resulting in all that waste.

An easy solution to this would be that you could just call any of the volunteer groups throughout the city that pick up cheap food to feed homeless people with and sell it to them for way less to distribute, or let a soup kitchen know what nights you dump the stuff and they'll just send a truck to pick it up, which saves work and hell it's a donation, awesome. But the argument against was no one felt like doing the work to make a single phone call because homeless people "aren't worth that extra trouble." Of literally sending one email to corporate saying "Hi put us on the list for soup kitchen pick up we're store number _____." One email is too much trouble to make less work for everyone working there. Capitalism.

Liquid Communism posted:

To be blunt, that encourages homeless people to hang around your business, which is bad for business. People don't often want to pay to eat someplace the homeless folks hang out.

It's not nice, or kind, but perception is key to selling a service industry product.

I totally understand this, but I do wish companies with locations that could take advantage of it actually would. To use the DR I worked in as an example, it was open 24 hours. From 1:30AM to 5:30AM exactly four people/groups would ever enter the store, and would always fall into one of three types:

1 Homeless people wanting to shoplift band-aids/socks/beverages.

2 Folks trying to scam gift cards to use to "pay" their illegally trafficked "massage parlor" "employees" and absolutely not to try to turn into cash for themselves at some point down the line of course how dare you.

3 Small teams of two to three people that would try to get access to and steal boxes of cigarettes or over the counter drugs.

So basically, before I started working there, from people coming in regularly to do their thing, the store was losing $1,000 every day. The only thing I did different was I just started allowing homeless people to hang out and take a nap in the pharmacy area if they needed to since it was mega-locked down anyway gate-wise anyway and the camera coverage on it was nuts. This worked out great because they now liked us regularly and so they stopped stealing from us, making 1 not an issue, and would basically threaten to gently caress up anyone else that would try to mess with us from 2/3 which cut down on those folks even showing up, and they'd all be out way before sunrise anyway because they needed to start soliciting. Then on top of that they'd actually come in to spend their change on stuff overnight.

Anyways long story short the jobs of the basically two/MAYBE three people that were expected to somehow prevent all loss from happening, re-merchandise the store, manage the cash, make sure everything was counted, etc. overnight while the store was still open for business and serving "customers" got way easier and the store was losing waaaay less money. It was awesome.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

An Amazon store with zero people in it will never work until the sensors and cameras are good enough and also until the laws for having a store open for business in most states are rewritten so that the only exit is a single narrow vestibule kind of space that only allows you to leave when it knows you don't have anything that didn't get paid for already on you. Otherwise they'll just get regularly cleaned out.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 8, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Would it be way easier to tweak the camera's software for something like a grocery shop where there's very distinct set colors, shapes and/or logos for each type of product? Though I guess the main thing is you'd have to have people comfortable with the idea that everything works well enough that literally every one is locked in the store until it charges each individual person correctly so they can walk out. Someone/a group intentionally shoplifting stuff isn't going to give a poo poo if their face is on camera or not.

But if you were literally going to have like an extra "checkout room" or something where that can be established, like, even if it takes a few people at once the wait would be insane the minute any kind of actual issue happens.

Anyway literally locking people in until the sensors/cameras decide everything is fine is not going to be feasible (or even legal in most states), and the way shoplifting works basically means that unless you either have some actual people walking around the store people will just walk in and roll out with whatever whenever, you'd never be able to have one in a heavily populated area or the store would just get completely emptied out from the higher number of people that would try to get something.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Baby Babbeh posted:

This is related to a concept called "slips and skips" that was first tested in the 80s. Basically, when you have multiple lines and they start to back up, the usual reaction is for the store to add another cashier and open another station. Usually then people who are coming up to the line will make for the newly opened lane. This makes them feel good -- they got to "skip." But everyone else watching sees it as a "slip" -- they've been waiting here longer but now some rear end in a top hat comes up and they get to be seen first for no reason other than they got lucky. It violates their sense of fairness, and there's a lot more of them than the people who got to skip. So in aggregate, when you poll people on their experience of waiting in line, they're more negative.

A single line, on the other hand, feels fair even if it's moving slowly. So people tend to rate it more favorably whether it actually speeds things up or not.

On top of that the overall wait time customers will tolerate differs depending on the store (if they're buying groceries, at a gamestop buying a controller, picking up a perscription, etc.). Each has a threshold under which the customer tends to not really care much about the wait, usually around 6 minutes. So with the Trader Joe's setup, even if it's a minute longer than the many lines method if they keep it right around that sweet spot like on the Mythbusters test then they can not worry about how fast and focus on the psychology like you say.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

pentyne posted:

Juicing as an obsession is such a urban white people dieting fad. They want to tout the merits of juicing as some cure-all when without consuming the skin and pulp you're losing out on a huge amount of the nutritional value of the produce. The only juicing site/blog I ever saw that made me think "hey maybe this isn't a bad idea" was someone who took all the leftover pulp and used it as a cooking ingredient in soups, omelettes, baking etc. because otherwise you are throwing away 90% of the edible material.

Definitely the only niche for the product according to that article:

quote:

Kippy Williams, owner of Kippy’s Organic Non-Dairy Ice Cream Shop in Los Angeles and Toyko, said she purchased her Juicero late last year for $1,200. (Juicero charges businesses a premium, she said.) Williams, a self-proclaimed health-food evangelist, said she’d like to see the company sell packs by themselves to people who can’t afford the device. “It would be great if they offered people the opportunity to buy the packs and press them by hand,” she said. “I want juice for every man, woman and child.”

:laffo:

I remember when this device was being discussed in this thread months ago, and I know it's common knowledge that venture capitalists are loving idiots just like the rest of us and are bored enough with life to toss money at anything, but man his entire justification for why this device is awesome was "anyone can measure juice, but how can you measure ki? How can you measure energy?" Like he got $120 million just from that. :wtc:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Regarding the Fyre festival (that mega-lovely festival in the Bahamas), this is probably the most telling piece about it. By a talent producer for the festival who quit several weeks ago when the writing was on the wall. Startup indeed.

http://nymag.com/thecut/2017/04/fyre-festival-exumas-bahamas-disaster.html

quote:

On Wednesday, Ja Rule arrived for a “site visit.” I don’t know if he actually visited the “site” but he did spend a lot of time on a yacht, according to his Instagram. Meanwhile the event planners were holed up indoors putting together a game plan and a budget. With so little having been prepared ahead of time, the official verdict was that it would take $50 million to pull off. Planners also warned that it would be not be up to the standard they had advertised. The best idea, they said, would be to roll everyone’s tickets over to 2018 and start planning for the next year immediately. They had a meeting with the Fyre execs to deliver the news. A guy from the marketing team said, “Let’s just do it and be legends, man.”

:laffo:

quote:

The artists still hadn’t been paid. It was my job to try and be charming while explaining to tour managers that no, there still was no money or a technical director for the festival. There was, somehow, a secured alcohol sponsor, however. This whole thing was playing out as a hilarious disaster. It was clear to most of us that nothing was going to come together at this rate.

The next day, things really started to fall apart. On Friday, lots of people on the production team got fired. I did not get fired. I did get a phone call that same night that said something along the lines of, “Congratulations, the guys will allow you to continue to work on the festival! For two thirds of what you asked for. And we’re not paying the artists yet.” So with that, I quit. I told the tour managers I had been in contact with that I was going to take myself off the project. And then I flew back to New York and waited eagerly for six weeks to see how Fyre Festival would play out.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

greazeball posted:

excuse me? what?

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

I'm going to regret this, but link? I don't believe it. I can't.

To justify the revolutionary usefulness of Bitcoin and how it is the future of currency and indeed of human society, someone posted a long shitthatdidnthappen.txt story that involved them getting stranded in the middle of nowhere in Brazil wherein he was able to return to his home country via paying someone with Bitcoin.

But even though this was clearly a 100% shitthatdidnthappen.txt tale (the locations he describes walking to are nowhere near each other) he felt the need to include how he was unreasonably kicked out of the hosting family's home all because in his sexual inexperience and ignorance of female anatomy his seeing naked people caused him to jerk off next to and ejaculate onto the family's youngest daughter while she was sleeping. Miraculously this family that supposedly lives a four hour drive from any other people just asks him to leave instead of burying him right there so he's able to walk an absurd distance and eventually is able to get money in his hands via Bitcoin.

Can a goon with search find the entire post? It's actually a very informative read into the mindset of the kind of person who loves Bitcoin. Like it's a perfect survey course of "this is a Bitcoin aficionado" when you get an idea of what they would consider a cool or interesting story that shows how resourceful they are. Like if any actual bank ever started to deal in the blockchain it would be part of the fine print in a "this is the type of person you are now dealing with" section or something.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 11, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Etherium is my favorite one because it literally has "ether" in the name but people still put money into it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Juceiro guy being offended that people didn't ~~~respect his vision~~~ by juicing his $10 Capri Sun packs and still acting like his business is great is some next level corporate infallibility mindset, but it's already been topped:

http://www.businessinsider.com/fyre-festival-founder-tells-employees-they-will-no-longer-be-paid-2017-5

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

axeil posted:

Admitting to attending/working at Fyre Festival is probably the biggest self-own you could do to yourself in 2017. No one feels bad for these people marks.

Anyone with half a brain got out before poo poo hit the fan.

It's just amazing to me that there's probably still people that are going to stick around because of the vision of what Fyre could be or whatever. And how this guy is still able to act like he's proud of what's happened.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

blah_blah posted:

Ballmer did sales and that guy was like a sweat factory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhh_GeBPOhs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zEQhhaJsU4

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

Perhaps it's not always for the best, but it's better than the alternative.

Me being incinerated by Nazis in 2023: "At least no one restricted their speech!"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

This doesn't really reveal anything new but it really is like a light switch:

https://www.fastcompany.com/40456604/these-women-entrepreneurs-created-a-fake-male-cofounder-to-dodge-startup-sexism

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Regarding Juiceros man he was the guy that was like "How can you measure energy? How can you measure ki?" as an explanation for why he didn't have exact figures for why his juicer made super nutritious way better juice than anything else? I forget was he a total bullshit man or did he really believe his own hype about it?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

WrenP-Complete posted:

Tide is more expensive than most detergents, has no serial numbers so is difficult to track, and is easily recognizable/not easily faked. It's not about prestige or cachet; it's a currency.

One of the most shoplifted things to resell when I worked at Walgreens/Duane Reade/etc.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

nerdz posted:

yeah, not to mention the fact that Brazilians are huge prudes in general as opposed to the image foreigners have about us. there's no way they would be in the nude like that. he gets some small details about Brazil right but I'm pretty sure he fabricated most of the story

IIRC someone also mentioned that the various towns he names are real but geographically there's just no way in hell he walked or took a one hour car ride to or from any one of them to the other.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Doggles posted:

From the Dumb Marketing Moves thread, check out this ad for Fiverr:

EDIT: I decided to do a little more digging in case the photo ended up being a fake, but I don't think it is.

From Fiverr's own blog, they have that same photo as the highlight for their post titled, Gig Economy News: Year of Do

An excerpt:

Why bother going on vacation when you can instead work more for less all while tricking yourself that you're on vacation! :haw:

EDIT2:

Definitely real, there's more posters out there!

https://twitter.com/b_cavello/status/839876313473150976

http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/10/people-are-not-pleased-with-fiverrs-deeply-depressing-advert-6500359/

These ads have been in the NYC subway for a year or two now and they make me insanely angry. Those aren't even the worst ones.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Oh my God "Musk responded: “We gained no financial benefit. Have asked my team to use a diff example going forward. He can sue for money if he wants, but that’s kinda lame. If anything, this attention increased his mug sales.”"

You could sue us and easily win 100% because we stole from you and are making money off of your work, but that'd make you kinda lame. You don't want to be lame do you?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Bates posted:

Magic Leap One is being released to developers for $2,295 after 2.3b. in funding and 8 years of development. No one knows what, exactly, to do with it but it's definitely very exciting.

I mean it says right in the article that it has a one-handed controller so I think they know where the money is.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

iajanus posted:

Uber killed someone bright enough to walk in front of a car on a well-lit street with nothing else around for miles.

Maybe they're just doing a good job automating the Darwin awards?

That seems pretty unfair since Uber's paid contractors are just as deadly to pedestrians.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/02/21/us/michigan-kalamazoo-county-shooting-spree/index.html

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah paid line sitters have been a thing for as long as places where you can buy in demand stuff/do required administrative stuff have had their hours of operation posted and was never just a US thing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It reminds of Drax's plan in Moonraker except instead of having his perfect specimens safe in space while the world dies of his manufactured disease they'll just be immune to it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Until around 2010 GameStop was paying a company called Compucom to monitor to their store network connections and to call a store to let them know if their internet went down. Not to troubleshoot or do anything about it, just to let you know that your connection stopped working since not noticing that is totally a thing that can happen in establishments where your POS has to phone home or run a credit card every several seconds.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 10, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

VC's putting in the wrong CFO into a company I co-founded destroyed something that would have been of major importance in games ... oh well.

Even with this setback I'm still confident BMX XXX 2 will happen some day.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Imagine being so rich you put together a GoFundMe to pay a lawyer to stop a homeless shelter from being built.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/mar/28/san-francisco-gofundme-homeless-shelter-embarcadero

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

One for the philosophers: The Call of Duty series scales its multiplayer/etc. based on pre-order numbers and the previous installment from that team's sales. Therefore Call of Duty is crowdfunded.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

In the first Watch_Dogs climax the behind-the-scenes antagonist taunts you from behind a plexi wall in a room devoid of electronics; you then disable his pacemaker remotely. Every critic called that scene dumb and unrealistic :staredog:

Wasn't hackers successfully collecting bitcoin ransoms from hospitals in exchange for not shutting them down already a thing by the time that game came out? :wtc:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 14, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MickeyFinn posted:

The article says that the PD is looking in to whether "autopilot" was engaged. So my money is on everyone:
A) The lady who rented a car without a license
B) The guy who owned the car but didn't check for a license
C) Getaround for not doing anything, it seems like
D) Tesla, for beta testing in public
E) The state of California for not shutting this poo poo down at points B or D

I want to say E because like how the gently caress do you allow Getaround to even exist as a car rental thing if it's possible to, through them, book a car to drive when you don't even have a license. :wtc: But also B like, how are you gonna put your car in the hands of something like that?

Goa Tse-tung posted:

"you weren't clicking enough ads, you soon will (so we hope)"

LOL you can still just block corporate accounts/sponsored stuff.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

i remember in middle school finding out how the wage/tip thing worked and being floored. i had assumed tips were an expected bonus because servers had to deal with people.

does grubhub work like doordash? at least at the local places i've ordered from the delivery guy worked at the restaurant but i'm guessing that isn't always the case.

I don't know but I always tip in cash instead, and I put "will tip in cash" in the delivery instructions/special notes/whatever thing for anything I ever order so they know I'm not just not tipping at all.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yelp/Grubhub has like a fake phone network/phone numbers that it replaces restaurant phone numbers on Yelp's site/app with without informing the restaurants on this. This is done so that your calls get forwarded through Yelp before reaching a restaurant so that Yelp can charge additional marketing fees per phone call to a restaurant and does not inform restaurants of this. So like you can call a "restaurant's" phone number on Yelp and end up getting forwarded to the wrong restaurant or/and otherwise whatever happens where you don't even place an order and the restaurant gets charged like $8 for that.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wjwebw/yelp-is-sneakily-replacing-restaurants-phone-numbers-so-grubhub-can-take-a-cut

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lately when I use Facebook these advertisements keep popping up from Yahoo telling me to get a job at a burglary company or change my career to Mike Ehrmantraut or something.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

How does the summon feature on these cars work security wise? Like is this going to be a whole new exciting world of car theft where you don't even have to get in the car? Petty assholes hitting the button and tossing the keys into a lake? The possibilities are endless...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

April 2015? I mean I could have told you that was bullshit when two years later we got the Uber Shooter, someone whose customer service score was low enough that he was supposed to be dropped from Uber completely was able to shoot people, do an Uber job, shoot more people, etc.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Wasn't their early bro-party culture notorious, or am I remembering 90% of all startups some other company?

No you're right they were definitely notorious for this and went through multiple shakeups at the top over it IIRC.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Please invest millions of dollars in us we invented a gym that is expensive.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

but is it any safer? this is the disruption culture we're talking about here.

One of the promo pictures is literally just a big empty room with a hardwood floor with ropes hanging from the ceiling with rings on them and the copy is like "COMBINING ANCIENT WARRIOR TECHNIQUES WITH MODERN TECHNOLOGY LIKE NEVER BEFORE" :laffo:

Also keep in mind that $35 week is just for a free week you get once, if you actually join and have that level of access to stuff it STARTS at $200 a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

~~~tender embraces~~~