Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

pentyne posted:

The old joke that an IT security expert only has 2 pieces of technology in his home, a printer and a gun for if the printer makes strange noises..

Not an expert on security but I work in IT and I am more technophobic now than 20 years ago. Our TV is just a TV. No IoT stuff, don't even use streaming services.

Kinda starting to turn into a luddite, really. Only exception is medical science, that's 100% good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

devmd01 posted:

I personally don’t even see the point of home automation, at least for me. I read all of these use cases that people have set up and yeah, it’s cool and all, but I just don’t care. One less goddamn tech thing to janitor in my life.

I automated a solar collector I built for the shop to reduce the amount of electric heating needed, but this was just putting together a thermostat and a power source. Nothing high-tech.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

More and more why my entertainment consists of stuff like chopping firewood, woodworking, blacksmithing and picking berries in the forest. 10 years ago I mostly played games and watched movies and shows.

Like I said earlier, IT and capitalism is turning me off technology and turning me into a luddite. This modern world has less and less interest for me, I just keep looking backwards for stuff that keeps me motivated enough to keep getting out of bed every day.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Senor Tron posted:

Yeah, and it totally depends on the built environment and playing it up as a "people this X area just handle it better" is nonsense.

I'm in Australia as well and our house is a bit draughty, but also all solid double brick with plastered internal walls.

Means that the house can get really warm, or really cold, but it takes a while to move in either direction. Whereas right across from us are wood framed gyprock internals/exterior clad townhouses that need to run AC pretty much non-stop if they don't want to exactly match the current external temperature.

Wood framed housing is actually better at dealing with both hot and cold climates if they are built right and well insulated. Thermal mass eventually always works against you when the weather remains hot or cold for extended periods, which is every year.

A well insulated house without much thermal mass basically only needs to cool the air inside and not work against the thermal mass any. So a house like that with active ventilation with a heat exchanger and proper awnings, perhaps window awnings too, would be a very effective house at keeping heat in or out depending.

Another alternative is to have thermal mass, but it's insulated from the outdoors. Our house is built like that (free floating internal floor slab) and it does help, but one year even that got overwhelmed because the nights where 25C and days where 33C (in Finland) and we ended up cooking indoors during nights, had the doors open and fans in the doors to blow out the air. We have no AC.

I think window awnings might have helped a lot, but they cost as much as an AC to install. We ended up doing nothing though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

We have a rice cooker but it's a proper old fashioned one like this, none of that new fangled stuff for me if I can avoid it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSTNhvDGbYI

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Best 200 I've spent on a kitchen appliance in my life. Its used almost daily.

If I were to spend money like that it would be on a tecniworm brewer. No pointless electronics, just build quality and spare parts availability for decades.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Frankly I doubt I would even notice the difference. I like to brew a pot of coffee and consume it slowly over an hour in the morning, if I got the time. Supposedly the coffee is supposed to go bad over that time because of the hot plate, but I can't tell. I like it and it's good enough for me. I'm sorta the anti hipster in that regard, whereas some people obsess over certain things, coffee or beer, I just say this is good enough and don't think about it any more. I just want a coffee brewer that works and beer that is cheap, it's good enough for me.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Mister Facetious posted:

I understood that reference.

Speaking of that reference said channel made a (sponsored) video regarding self driving cars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjztvddhZmI

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

PhazonLink posted:

huh wonder if DnD regulars opinions on tool brands differ from the OSHA thread in GBS.

what are the tiers of tool brands?

note the only thing I know you shouldnt really depend on LCD poo poo; habor freight or random letter comapnys on amazon.

I like makitas stuff, but I am mostly a DIY forums guy. I would buy hilti if I could afford it. Never seen milwaukee as anything special, but they are pimped a lot and we do have a lot of impact drivers and drill at my work where they are used for woodworking. 12V models though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I started getting chuddy vibes from him, and he really went overboard with that lingo stuff so I stopped watching him, his videos decreased in quality too I thought.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

CommieGIR posted:

That's called privilege my friend, and we have to address the non-privilaged to make this work.

I drive a 2007 toyota yaris approaching 400,000km on the odometer and no plans on getting rid of it. I don't see a future in which I can afford an electric any time soon.

I mean it's not just the price of the car when buying it, but getting a new car means:

-expensive insurance

-having to take it to expensive dealership service

-modern electronics and modern construction techniques make it difficult or impossible to do work and service at home to save money, and working on an electric car is probably quite dangerous.

So I quite like my old lovely car with only the most basic insurance and I can do most service on it myself, does around 50-55 mpg.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Motronic posted:

I think you are. And buying patterns prove it. As far as cars go, people seem to be most interested in:

- Edge cases (I might need to move a piece of lumber once every 3 years, better get a full sized SUV, I go skiing once a year, need 4x4 or AWD to mostly drive around the bay area)
- What they think other people think about what they drive
- Driving dynamics.

Probably in that order.

I put a trailer hitch on my yaris a few years ago, I moved four 5 meter (16 feet+) long 100x100m posts on that no prob. People think they need bigger cars than they do, often by magnitudes.

With a trailer your tiny car is incredibly versatile, even for a rural DIYer like myself who often has to transport bigger items.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Blut posted:

Slumming it in a 2007 Yaris like His Divine Shadow sounds absolutely awful (and pointless) to me. Theres no need to blow $50k on a brand new car, but for something fairly reasonable like $10-15k its possible to get a great 5~ year old second hand car that will actually be nice to drive/be inside.

10-15k is a fuckload of money to waste on a car. Frankly this post oozes privilege.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It's the inverse I find, the more urban and richer the setting the newer and bigger the cars are.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

enki42 posted:

yeah, i won't disagree that that's reality. My point though is less about what does happen, and more about what's justifiable. Someone from an urban area with excellent transit saying "A 1985 k car is fine for me, why isn't it for you?" to someone who lives rurally with no transit whatsoever isn't really taking into account that there are genuinely different needs for people in different areas.

Well I live rurally and I am kinda saying that. Our family did recently buy another car because my SO needed one for work so we bought a mazda 6 from 2005 for 2k euros.

CFox posted:

10-15k seems pretty standard for what you'd want to spend on a used, reliable car. You probably don't want to go too much cheaper since you'll start getting into reliability issues due to age or whatever. Repairs add up quickly and time lost at work due to getting stranded during your commute makes it very worthwhile to spend a bit for the peace of mind. There's a reason a vehicle is the 2nd biggest purchase a person will make outside of a home and it's because for most Americans a car is 100% required, it's not optional.

I find a lot of calculations like that on the net but I speaking from personal experience and the experience of others I know, the cheap cars are cheaper to own and keep running in most cases unless something catastrophic happens. I just haven't yet seen a reason to buy a car that new that eventually to me, doesn't come down to societal pressure.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Mega Comrade posted:

2k! Look at money bags over here flaunting their wealth. Anything more than 3 digits is a waste of money!

Hey 2k was a lot of money too that we'd rather not sent on a car.

silence_kit posted:

Not having to worry about your old car breaking down and leaving you stranded, and having to leave it and pick it up from the shop all the time is a great thing. It is totally worth it IMO, to spend the extra money on a newer, more reliable car.

Few things are as reliable as an old diesel without much complicated stuff in it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Motronic posted:

This isn't Norway or the EU. Decent quality used cars have always cost more here. And even more now.

You used to be able to get something in pretty decent shape for $3-5k. Cash for clunkers destroyed the used market (as it was designed to do) and pushed that number higher. Covid and chip shortages for new cars have further pushed it up.

So.....if you want to act like this toward other posters I guess I may as well point out that your post oozes ignorance.

Blut is from the EU iirc.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

OctaMurk posted:

10k is a fuckload of money if you have no money. But most people are able to "afford" 10k cars by taking out loans because thry have to.

The vast majority of adults can get a 10k car. But it is not comfortably affordable for the majority of adults, it is now a significant monthly expense whereas at 2k or 3k you could buy the car outright.

Yep I would put myself in this range. And I live a lot more nicely in every other respect of my life compared to my income range because I do this. And the car is nice to drive.

But I also realize a lot of people are doing a lot worse than me, infact they are likely the biggest single group in society. Even in europe yes.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Blut posted:

Being able to afford $10k for a car is not remotely "privileged" unless you're a teenager/student/live in a third world country. Most reasonably competent adults in the US, if they need a car, can and do easily afford that. I'm sorry if that triggers you, but its the reality - the vast majority of cars on the road aren't ancient clunkers like yours.

As to if its a waste, thats completely subjective. Is buying a bigger TV, a newer iPhone, going on a yearly vacation, eating out in a nice restaurant, or moving into a larger apartment a waste? Its all about what brings someone joy or utility. Given so many people (pre corona anyway) spend 5-10 hours+ a week in their car its not unreasonable to want to be in some combination of a comfortable, fun to drive, reliable vehicle and to spend a few dollars to get one.

Other people already answered most of your post so I'll just say that I spend 5-6 hours driving per week and my car is comfortable, fun to drive (particularly nice to drive in a city), insanely reliable and gets drat good mileage. The only thing my car isn't, is new and shiny. Which seems to be what's triggering some people tbh.

Also I thought it was interesting how it seems imply what you think about poor people, they're incompetent, that's why they're poor and can't afford a proper modern car, as if that is a requirement to pass for a competent adult in your eyes is to spend enough money on a car. FWIW I could afford a 10k car, but why would I want to, it's like you say, subjective. My car is great at everything except gaining the approval of people like you, and I don't value that. Not having a monthly car payment and more money to save or spend, that I value.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Right lets let this lie where it does then. Gonna go for a drive :)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Motronic posted:

I'm not estimating it's impact at all, but I agree with the rest of your post: it's the use case where nobody should own a pickup and instead rent the one at Home Depot the 3 times a year they would be "glad to have one".

Trailer hitch. It's the best solution IMO, you can also rent the trailer.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Ah well that sucks, here you can tow anything from 1600 to 6600 lbs depending on your car and the trailer, bigger than that and you need a license for bigger loads.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It also has AC, which is really important (to me). That's the one thing I couldn't live without in a car anymore. The first car I had with AC was built in 1991 and was a firebird. It was a fun car to drive.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

You know I want to mention my original point wasn't that only the very privileged could afford a 10k car, but it was the (to me) seemingly casual dismissal of reasons people might have for not buying a 10k car and instead opting to drive a cheaper car (and save that money for other things), that I reacted to as perhaps being blinded by ones privilege.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well this is certainly something

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Glad I don't know what oculus us.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Ignorance is strength

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I've boycotted amazon for a while now. Personally it's not hard.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

TheScott2K posted:

I've noticed the new hire mechanical engineers at my large employer have very real trouble with Windows and Office - specifically, Outlook and dealing with file and folder hierarchies.

Well to be frank, outlook sucks. Been running thunderbird on my personal workstation for years, but now we're moving from imap to exchange and virtual desktops so I finally gotta embrace it.

This thread has shown that I need to personally teach my kids how to use computers and office.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

You can take email from my cold dead hands

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also they've all lived in city centres their entire lives and have no concept of any other kind of life. This isn't exclusive to tech bros (the Xbox One marketing guy going 'Why would I want to live there?' when asked about areas with poor internet comes to mind) but definitely more obvious.

Hell, most goons.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

The next stove I am buying is gonna look like this.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I've never had a problem with an electric range to be honest (now I have induction). But gas ranges are almost unheard of in Finland and there is no gas pipeline infrastructure except for a select few houses in helsinki, so the only way to use it would be like a gas grill with a bottle.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

tracecomplete posted:

Just before COVID I'd bought a house in Somerville that was cramped but hey, look at all this awesome stuff right within walking distance!

Sold it and moved south of the city. Basically traded it straight across for a yard and twice as much house and it's probably why I didn't go out of my gourd during all this.

Covid has been a lot easier for people in rural areas I think, who are used to a life centered around the house and yard and perhaps the woods as well. Based on my own experience anyway.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

BiggerBoat posted:

Both. I just don't like having to babysit my tiny noise machine all the time is all.

I got notifications turned off. If it's urgent please call, like a boomer.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well... She either has to learn to live with you not being available like that 24/7 and call if there is an emegency. Or you have to get used to the opposite.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Instagram is down too, gently caress yeah

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Doggles posted:

Maybe :tinfoil: but I wonder if someone on the inside at Facebook took matters into their own hands after last night's 60 Minutes interview.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1444829939090567168

Makes me feel pretty drat good if some guy with morals can do that much damage to these bags of poo poo.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I just always use a VPN for torrents, figure that's good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

MiddleOne posted:

And consequently, if you're living with public sector health-care then telehealth is 90% a grift to pillage the public purse.

I can't believe that, we've had to go on so many bullshit visits ot the hospital and they cost 40 euros per visit per kid (twins with medical issues). Phonecalls instead of visits have been money savers for us and lost money for the hospital since they couldn't charge us the visitation fee. Some countries might not have that particular piece of shittery though, and it was ok here when it was like 10 euros, but it has ballooned in order to keep the rich peoples taxes low.