Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Mister Facetious posted:

the scoring/statistics mainly. Stuff using 8/16 bit code that has hard limits of 64/0-255, etc.

jon bois tries to get X of whatever particular score or stat, and the game just starts breaking down/crashing when he passes it.

Game programmers are overly zealous about using smaller sizes, even if this is frequently unwarranted. Just because I chose to pack an index into a 1-byte variable doesn't mean I'm using SNES-era code. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

HootTheOwl posted:

getting a push notification that my laundry is done would actually improve my life until someone hacks my dryer and shrinks my pants.

Joke's on you, you should have gotten your pants from Shrink.ly, the tech startup which ensures your clothes are calibrated to the exact amount of heat your dryer can provide.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

luxury handset posted:

i completely agree with you that they're botching this sunset announcement

They're backpedaling/trying to clarify pretty heavily:

quote:

All Sonos products will continue to work past May

We heard you. We did not get this right from the start. My apologies for that and I wanted to personally assure you of the path forward:

First, rest assured that come May, when we end new software updates for our legacy products, they will continue to work as they do today. We are not bricking them, we are not forcing them into obsolescence, and we are not taking anything away. Many of you have invested heavily in your Sonos systems, and we intend to honor that investment for as long as possible. While legacy Sonos products won’t get new software features, we pledge to keep them updated with bug fixes and security patches for as long as possible. If we run into something core to the experience that can’t be addressed, we’ll work to offer an alternative solution and let you know about any changes you’ll see in your experience.

Secondly, we heard you on the issue of legacy products and modern products not being able to coexist in your home. We are working on a way to split your system so that modern products work together and get the latest features, while legacy products work together and remain in their current state. We’re finalizing details on this plan and will share more in the coming weeks.

While we have a lot of great products and features in the pipeline, we want our customers to upgrade to our latest and greatest products when they’re excited by what the new products offer, not because they feel forced to do so. That’s the intent of the trade up program we launched for our loyal customers.

Thank you for being a Sonos customer. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I hope that you’ll forgive our misstep, and let us earn back your trust. Without you, Sonos wouldn’t exist and we’ll work harder than ever to earn your loyalty every single day.

My startup's been paying attention to the whole debacle considering our first hardware had to be immediately discontinued after the first production set because the WiFi module we were using got discontinued (and was garbage anyway). Rather than try to redesign it with a different WiFi module and go through certification, etc. again, they decided to do a different piece of hardware with a completely embedded architecture, so the software is already splitting into two vastly divergent codebases. They considered sunsetting the software as well after barely 2 years, which I thought was tantamount to PR suicide, and this Sonos thing only confirmed it.

I've already wasted so much time adding new platforms to the graphics abstraction layer, and now there's talks of even more different hardware for the coming generation. I really need to get out of this startup poo poo and back into games.

Jan fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 24, 2020

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

ryonguy posted:

Normal people: let's make batteries replaceable and ensure this is easy to do because the loving planet is getting buried in garbage

Computer touchers who have not interacted with human beings outside their niche for decades: its hard tho

Also normal people: "What's this!? 50 extra dollars on my 500$ headphones for a replaceable battery!? No way, I'll take the non-replaceable one for 50$ less."

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Sounds like we need a tech startup to disrupt grocery checkout kiosks.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Karia posted:

This sort of poo poo is especially enraging because it only applies to the workers whose time is worth the least to the companies, simply because those are the only jobs with easily calculable metrics.

And just because metrics are easily calculable doesn't mean they're relevant. In that example, they were asking that guy to code 35,000 lines of code per week. What's the likely outcome of this? Garbage code from a desperate worker under pressure, that anyone else in the company will hate working with? This is some galaxy brain thinking there. :psyduck:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/jason_koebler/status/1235269120301699077?s=19

I, for one, welcome our AI overlords taking over the police's job of racial profiling. :woop:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

My SF startup company brought up a similar policy of reducing people's pay if they decide to ride out the roni in a cheaper place. The argument given was that keeping Bay Area salaries in a lower cost of living area would become like golden handcuffs, where one would not want to leave to a lower paying job and end up becoming resentful.

:thunk:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

You know generally speaking American wages/salaries are like a 1/3 of what they should be right?

blunt posted:

Workers discover one crazy graph that shows what their output is worth. CEOs hate it!

You can't lump the overinflated salaries of GAFAM tech worker with the rest of the US workforce's. It's entirely reasonable to both say that the average US worker is chronically underpaid (especially given the complete lack of social safety nets) and that tech workers from oligopolistic corporations are also overpaid.

Platystemon posted:

Good for them.

Despising other workers for being paid better is crab bucket mentality.

It's also not about this. I'm certain I could double my salary if I made a move with the Apple or Facebook recruiters that keep poking me. Lots of others, including my friends from university, chose to do just that and good on them.

The problem is that these tech companies are able to afford these inflated salaries because they've by now cornered enough of the market that they can just starve or buy out smaller competitors. Basically this:

dwnelson posted:

I think this gets to the real point. The problem isn’t that megacorps are “overpaying” workers, it’s that their size enables them to have an advantage that small businesses don’t have, which lets them outcompete small businesses for workers... thus further exacerbating the problem. The big get bigger and the small get starved to death.

Same problem as all of the possible competitors being bought by the FAANG corps they were going to compete with: the megacorps have enough money that they can just stifle the competition by starving them of workers, leveraging their existing user base to build a competitor that has a built-in advantage (facebook stories, etc.), or buying them if they can’t kill them off.

I don't think it's an unreasonable stance, in this thread of all places, to think that these companies have grown so large and can afford to overpay so many tech workers by systemically undermining everything our society has taken for granted in the past 50+ years.

So when a smaller startup that's absolutely not (IMO) an up-and-coming unicorn chooses to adopt a relocation salary policy like this, citing some hokey reason like "regional golden handcuffs" for it, it kind of stings. I'd have much rather they be completely honest and said "we're burning through our cash reserves and we'd rather use every possible means to extend our runway". Especially considering another thing that was previously mentioned is they'd considered moving the company altogether to avoid having to pay Bay Area salaries, but chose to stay because it's easier to raise more capital with the higher expectations surrounding Bay Area startups. That's like trying to get only the good parts of being based in the Bay Area without the bad. I get it, it's purely a survival calculation, but as someone mentioned, if they'd calculated they have room in payroll for my salary, it's kind of insulting to think that salary should go down if I move somewhere cheaper. I'm not staying because of compensation, I'm staying because the work is adjacent enough to what really interests me and I don't have to feel like I'm pocketing blood money from social media giants that are destroying the fabric of society.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

They wouldn't be overpaid if everyone else was making what they should.

Even if the gap between productivity and wages was corrected, the average worker would still be making a pittance compared to tech workers.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Genderify deleted their tweet, their account and their website altogether. Literally laughed off the Internet.

I almost feel bad for them, if only because you'd have to be completely oblivious to think there was any need for this API, let alone think it could work at all to begin with.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

But never before have they been improved through the revolutionary application of machine learning!!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Well, that's more time than any copper has had to serve for murdering a black person in cold blood. Not that that's a very high standard to measure against, I suppose.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Nice to know Ubers trading their employees welfare for voting decisions

What is good for uber is good for its employees

Actual employees, mind you, not that contractor trash

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

This seems all too complicated, I sense a startup opportunity. Let's design and market an electric car where the battery would be designed to be hot swapped easily, to the point it would be faster to battery swap than fueling up at a gas station.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Was my Tesla shitpost too subtle or have we already forgotten?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5V0vL3nnHY

When even Tesla abandons an idea because it's not commercially viable, that idea has a very long way to go.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

TACD posted:

Yea but on the bright side, every time they email the Excel document it's automatically backed up!

SCC by BCC

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Doggles posted:

Also :lol: at the assumption that 12 people can get out of, and another 12 people into, the same van in the span of only 40 seconds.

Also very convenient that none of these 12 people have luggage at an international airport.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

If you were ever wondering which tech company gets to write vaccination algorithms... Think long and hard about which your worst choice could be, then spoil yourself:

https://venturebeat.com/2020/12/19/covid-19-vaccine-distribution-algorithms-may-cement-health-care-inequalities/

quote:

In an effort to achieve its goal of inoculating 100 million Americans by Q1 2021, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services partnered with data-mining firm Palantir to develop a software platform called Tiberius.

Looking forward to pandemic deniers, antivaxxers and actual Nazis getting prioritised because they're higher risk factor!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

I mean, GoDaddy was cancelled before cancelling was a thing, a decade ago when they came out in support of the SOPA copyright bill.

Life was so simple back then, people could boycott and disapprove of things and maybe get some momentum. Now if you choose to disagree with copyright revamps, you also have to disagree with the coronavirus relief bill. (Which you should, but for different reasons than it being a garbage omnibus garbage fire.)

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

poemdexter posted:

You are an outlier because most people don't even leave town.

And whether it's an outlier or not doesn't really matter here. The problem isn't choosing between email or the social media that was explicitly designed to keep people in touch.* It's the fact that the latter has been so subverted by the pressures of endless capital gain that it puts user engagement and divisive rhetoric above the well-being of its users. If it hadn't been so easy for right wing propaganda arms to pollute the network, it'd just boil down to a perfectly innocuous choice between communication methods.

* Well, really originally, designed to rate college girls in order of attractiveness, but that's besides the point.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

Wasn't it something like 63% of joins to extremist Facebook groups were found to have been recommended by Facebook, according to Facebook's own studies of the issue a couple of years ago?

Oh yeah, I'm not trying to argue that Facebook and its algorithm isn't complete trash, I was trying not to rehash that rabbit hole by summing up that they've made it easy for right-wing outlets to find fertile ground. I meant more that in a nicer world, it wouldn't have to be such an issue if social media really stuck to "keeping people in touch", rather than desperately trying to push them down the slippery slope to fascist brainwashing.

I basically have an account because that's what we'd all use to organize events in undergrad, but I only keep it active because some of my relatives use it as their communication tool of choice. The feed is just an endless stream of garbage, no matter how much I try to curate my follows, so I've given that part up a long time ago.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Irony.or.Death posted:

calling someone

Excuse me, aren't you aware that millenials have ruined calling?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

UCS Hellmaker posted:

But again, I have heard of absolutely no fire service that's full private, namely because unlike ambulances, there is nowhere near enough potential revenue in it to do so, and what your gonna charge thousands every time a fire alarm goes off? No one will pay it.

Weren't there some rich-rear end parts of LA (I wanna say near Hollywood?) that had basically assembled their own private firefighting force during last wildfire season?

As the planet grows warm and everything burns down, privatizing fire services until no one but the rich can afford them would be very on brand.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Instead of multitasking space trucker on a second window during meetings, multitask meetings on a second window inside VR space trucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Ulta posted:

That was what I was thinking! Thanks

Please don't quote the Ita, I am trying to uphold the Discipline.