Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Holyshoot posted:

So if uber is burning cash from vc's what is their end game to be profitable? I thought people create businesses to make money through profit?

they literally don't have one. if they raise prices their market will evaporate overnight. they can't continue their current course either because it's becoming rapidly obvious to drivers they are practically subsidizing uber at the wages they're being paid. their endgame is to be bought out or IPO and bail out with what money they can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

NihilismNow posted:

They were smartphones a good 7-8 years before the iphone showed up. It is really weird to see so many people forget that.
The OS was very terrible. Literally windows shrunk to a 2.4" screen with start menu and application borders and tiny close buttons. There were 3 ways to install apps and none of them worked. They were popular and are still in use for business applications such as scanners in warehouses and dispatch services.
Windows CE was a thing, just not a very good

They were forgotten probably because they were entirely terrible. iPhone and to a lesser extent android marked the beginning of sane ui for smartphones that made using them not a terrible chore.

MS certainly was able to envision the idea of tiny ultraportable computers in the vein of smartphones, but they were completely unable to design an interface and use pattern that didn't leverage Windows heavily and that's why they failed to capture the market

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

MS's insistence on unity of branding and form has screwed them over and over and over. When they finally opened their eyes to what a good touchscreen OS needs they tried to push it back to desktop, resulting in the abortion that was Windows 8

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

IMO MS's insistence on unity of form most likely extends from a mistaken understanding of what powers the sales of Windows. They mistakenly believe they have strong brand loyalty when in fact all the little moves they made to lock customers in holds customers hostage to the Windows platform ( that and inertia). It's why their forays into other markets keep failing when MS doesn't have those aspects to lean on

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you're actually on that team, it's more intense. I was never loyal to (say) the idea of Parcplace-Digitalk, but I loved the technology they sold, and I loved the people who worked with me to build it. I loved *my* work, the work I'd gotten to finish.

You can love a company, and the problem is the day you realize that you made sacrifices for it, but it will make none for you. (I got out of PPD just fine. Some others, not.)

lol if you didn't learn this from your first minimum wage job

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Barudak posted:

She did indeed. The only time I've ever seen a salesperson look more lost trying to explain the value of something was when some poor bastard had to pitch me the show "She-Zow"

She may have been picked to fail but she took that and ran with it as hard as she could off the cliff.

i watched an episode of that at the request of a friend. it was not good.

the biggest thing that confuses me about that show is why they needed to make the titular character male

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Mozi posted:

I hadn't heard about fizzbuzz before but had the same thought as some of you ('it can't be that simple, right?') Came up with my own solution then checked online - I have to think that an interviewer would prefer a straightforward and readable solution over something like this?
code:
def replaceMultiples(x: Int, rs: (Int, String)*) =
	rs map {case (n, s) => Either cond (x % n == 0, s, x)} reduceLeft ((a, b) =>
	a fold ((_ => b), (s => b fold ((_ => a), (t => Right(s + t))))))

def fizzbuzz(n: Int) =
	replaceMultiples(n, 3 -> "Fizz", 5 -> "Buzz") fold ((_ toString), identity)

1 to 100 map fizzbuzz foreach println
Which I think is neat but I wouldn't want to deal with it unless there's a good reason for it. Guess we're straying from the thread topic anyways.

that code is insane and I'm not sure why it has to be

code:
def fizzBuzz(n: Int): String = (n % 3, n % 5) match {
  case (0, 0) => "fizzbuzz"
  case (0,_) => "fizz"
  case (_,0) => "buzz"
  case _ => n.toString
}

1 to 100 foreach (n => println(fizzBuzz(n)))
if(n
def replaceMultiples(x:Int, rs: (Int, String)*) = {

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

The Real Foogla posted:

I just don't understand people who claim software can't "directly impacts public safety".

more that software "engineers" are wholly untrained and unprepared for such responsibility

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

RandomPauI posted:

You know what we need? An app where people can vote on their favorite term for a person who specializes in the development of software. The first vote is free, but each subsequent vote requires a micro-transaction. This way the market can decide whose right! The idea can is an incredibly sound and versatile way to generate profit. No one else is doing it, and it can be applied to other linguistic debates.

I'll just need a 75k kickstarter and another 1.5 million in venture capital.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

shrike82 posted:

Lol at the devs itt melting down about the term engineer. Developers aren't engineers. Code monkey or janitor comes to mind

please, i'm a code esquire you pleb

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

blugu64 posted:

The nest is an absolutely terrible thermostat. I had one, and it would never follow the schedule you set if you left it in its 'learning' mode. Even with that mode disabled it seems to only keep the house about 5 degrees on the wrong side of whatever you set.

One you disable that mode it becomes just a overpriced regular thermostat with wifi. Don't even get me started on their smoke detectors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpsMkLaEiOY

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

asdf32 posted:

Our own emotions, goals and desires are the result of millions of years of evolution. Either the human creators deliberately include them or come up with some process to develop them or they won't be there in the AI. At the least motions are there own development that won't be emergent automatically from intelligence.

we can't say that for sure without actually understanding why we have emotions in the first place

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

twodot posted:

I can't tell whether your or asdf32's post is stupider. "Either humans include it or create a process to include it" is trivially true of all properties of all programs, since programs don't just spring into reality absent human intervention.

hmm, i don't seem to recall saying anything about programs bursting forth out of the ether. maybe you should learn to read before you make really obvious statements?

emotions may end up being a necessary property for higher intellegence than what we are capable of creating for computers right now, but we probably won't know for sure until we better understand our own intelligence better

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

asdf32 posted:

Actually a lot of what we cal AI is based on learning algorithms of various forms where humans arn't directly in control of a lot of the details. And it's a common trope to imagine AI that breaks out of its intended boundaries typically following human like ambitions for knowledge or power. My point is that those desires don't just spring out. Even in the context of significant "intelligence".

i think he'd try to argue with you that learning algorithms like neural networks still have to be designed, falling under "process to include it" even though the inclusion of that behavior may be wholly accidental

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Neural networks are also severely limited in what they can learn about. You have to program it specifically to handle a specific sort of thing. A neural network that learns how to win at chess can't suddenly learn to play Counter Strike let alone figure out how to destroy civilization. It's still a stupid machine following a set of instructions.

Neural networks are improving of course but the computing power for actual, meaningful machine sentience just isn't there yet. The difference between a meat brain and a computer brain is huge.

right, like i mentioned you still have to design them for their purpose (though messing up the design can result in unexpected behavior from the network)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

twodot posted:

I figured it out, you are stupider. It's completely irrelevant whether machine intelligence needs emotions (whatever it means for a machine to have emotions in the first place), it's trivially true that whatever emotions it has will be put there by humans or a process started by humans.

so you're just really aggressively dumb then? cause i've never disagreed that humans will build out whatever AI we're talking about. seriously, try learning to read

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

PJOmega posted:

Question for you, since you seem to be reasonably aware of bitcoin while still being sane. If someone was mining buttcoins with a reasonably powerful desktop in late 2012 or early 2013 for shits and giggles, what would be the expected rate?

you might get a cent after 20 years

all the serious buttcoin miners use custom hardware specifically designed to do the hashing functions as fast as possible, a normal cpu can't keep up (nor can a 10-20 gpu system anymore)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Cultural Imperial posted:

Is there a single comp sci student out there who can look at a block chain and think hmmmm yes this works efficiently and scales well?

my phd advisor and some comp scientists over here have been thinking of using it for data sharing between labs and stuff. i tell him it's a bad idea that would cost our lab a lot of time and money for an extremely insecure network

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

PJOmega posted:

Nono, if they had mined back in 2012/2013 as a shits-and-giggles thing. A co-worker liked lamenting about his "lost millions" from not having his btc saved and I've wondered if it was even possible.

it would be more likely, but relatively unlikely. 2012-2013 was right before the mtgox crash, so we definitely had gpu miners in play at that point, and the serious ones were giving themselves permanent brain damage with the heat produced by 20-30 gpus.

i mined some bitcoin back when it first came out (like in 2009), as a curiosity, and back then you could get a "fortune" in today's bitcoins with your computer. getting usd out of bitcoins has always been real loving hard (especially at the millions point) though so I dunno if your coworker would've got anything anyway

Condiv fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 22, 2016

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In my non-physics-equipped brain, I can see that one impact, to the car and then stuck, is better than multiple impacts, to the car and then into the air and then who knows where.

Xoidanor posted:

My main thought was a car with this solution not realizing that it had actually hit something and just driving around with a screaming person stuck to its hood for miles. :v:

this is a problem with this solution. if the vehicle is malfunctioning enough to hit a pedestrian in the first place, can we trust it to cause no further damage to the pedestrian stuck to it? plus, a person who's been hit is likely to be suffering neck trauma or spinal cord injuries. how are emts supposed to safely and reliably remove the victim without exacerbating such injuries?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Popular Thug Drink posted:

you're completely full of poo poo bro

lying about familiarity with the restaurant inspection process is one of the more pathetic things i've seen people lie about to win an arugment

tbh, in oklahoma city the inspections of our kitchen was scheduled and not random, and even then we could barely pass (pizza hut)

once our make table's refrigeration broke down because of a heat wave and our manager put dry ice in the bottom to keep the ingredients fresh, but it didn't work, and my brother reached into one of the bins to find maggots squirming on his hands. i walked off because i refused to deliver pizzas to people that could poison them, and my manager lectured me about how irresponsible i was the next time i saw him. i didn't report him to the health inspector the day of and i really regret it

Condiv fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 8, 2016

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

OwlFancier posted:

So your proposed solution would be not having health inspections. I trust?

no, i think random health inspections are good (and i think that startup is idiotic and dangerous). i'm just pointing out that health inspection of food isn't that strict for every city.

for example, when i was working in food preperation in norman (about 20 mins from oklahoma city), their food safety standards were much better and they required all food workers to attend a class on food safety, take a test, and get licensed before they could get a job

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

and i'm fully acknowledging that restaurant inspections aren't some perfect and flawless system. like i said wateroverfire i've worked in restaurants for a decade i've seen what they're like. employee stashes a drink in the ice machine, that's a five point ding. thawing fish in the hand washing sink, that's a major ding

replacing this with an even looser system would not in any way improve food safety unless you sincerely believe that the hand of the market corrects everything, except with a bunch of anonymous five star ratings replacing a hundred point checklist that by law must be prominently displayed and is published by the health department

yes, restaurants can acutely get disgusting because of apathetic employees and bad management. now imagine what happens if the health inspector is guaranteed to never show up

no i agree with you, i think food safety is really important. there are places though where they don't take it as seriously as they should though. in any case, this start-up is a public threat and should be shut down post-haste

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

crossposting from the yospos version of this thread:

Main Paineframe posted:

uber managed to annoy a judge in one of their many lawsuits :allears:

they hired a private investigator to dig up dirt on the plaintiff and his attorney but got caught. now the judge is ordering them to turn over all documents related to that

quote:

In one instance, an investigator hired by Uber allegedly called Meyer's attorney's professional colleagues and "falsely stated that he was compiling a profile of up-and-coming labor lawyers in the United States," Rakoff wrote.
When confronted about the investigator's calls, attorneys for Kalanick initially denied that the company was involved with them, according to court documents.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

so what happens if i never use twitter or facebook? does my prospective landlord call bs on the accounts i gave him and refuse to rent to me? what about if i don't have a facebook or twitter account anymore?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

:rip: marissa

quote:

Marissa Mayer addressed the purple elephant in the room immediately after stepping on stage: No, there are no updates about Yahoo's sale process.

Instead, Mayer devoted what may be Yahoo's final annual shareholders meeting as an independent company to making the case that her turnaround efforts were not a complete failure.

"On a personal note, I will say that I've been heartened by the level of interest in Yahoo," Mayer said at the meeting on Thursday, presumably referring to reported acquisition bids from Verizon, AT&T and numerous private equity groups. "It validates our business progress."

The business progress, as she laid it out, includes growing mobile users and revenue throughout her four-year tenure and launching dozens of new product features a year to broaden Yahoo's audience. It also means pushing to cut costs in recent months through layoffs and shutting down more than 100 products.

When pressed by one shareholder on why Yahoo's growth lagged behind competitors, Mayer stressed the "very competitive space" the company operates in.

Analysts and industry watchers aren't as charitable in grading her accomplishments.

"This is about protecting her legacy," says Jan Dawson, a technology analyst with Jackdaw Research. "Yahoo was her chance to run an entire company for the first time and really make her mark in her own right as a CEO. It hasn't gone well."

Mayer, previously a star executive at Google, took over as CEO of Yahoo in mid-2012, kicking off a wave of speculation about whether she could save the slumping Internet company. She enjoyed a two-year honeymoon period with investors, thanks in large part to Wall Street's focus on Yahoo's large stake in Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba, which went public in September 2014.

Since then, Mayer has faced renewed scrutiny for failing to revive Yahoo's declining ad revenue with flashy new tech products and dozens of acquisitions, including the $1.1 billion purchase of Tumblr.

Verizon, AT&T and others are now said to be bidding as much as $5 billion to purchase Yahoo's core Internet business after hedge fund Starboard pushed for a sale and received four seats on the company's board.

"Yahoo's management team and our board are fully aligned with one clear priority: delivering shareholder value to all of you," Mayer said in her opening remarks on Thursday. "We have no announcements today, but we are continuing to make great progress on our process."

It was a far cry from last year's shareholder meeting when Mayer confidently declared that "the best years for the company are still ahead of us."

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

cheese posted:

Uber reducing drunk driving would only make sense if there were no other way to get home without driving before Uber. There have always been other ways to avoid driving your car drunk, from tipsy taxi's to designated drivers to just regular loving taxis, which are in every major city. Of course Uber doesn't reduce it.

i think the argument was that uber increased access to "taxis" by making them cheaper and more reliable. but then again, when your company requires a debit/credit card to use then that kind of makes it out of reach to the poor by default

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Arglebargle III posted:

He's right, it was more like a big-rear end flamethrower. They've had trouble with the fuel lines on the second stage before.

SpaceX has been struggling to stay on its promised launch schedule. WSJ says that Tesla and Elon's solar venture are also going through a cash crunch, so a blown up launch pad couldn't come at a much worse time.

I know the satellites are insured but I wonder if the pad is.

it wasn't damaged apparently

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

they kind of are - google and apple pay top dollar for talent, even if they do engage in price fixing. and there was that credit card processing company that paid everyone a minimum 70k salary. it's just that "prosperous firm pays salaried employees well" isn't much of a news item

they weren't just price fixing, they were refusing to hire recent or current employees of each other (and a number of other places). forcing employees to be dependent on their employer for raises undoubtedly drove wages down

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

All you fuckers saying cheese is not an opiate have never had to blow a dealer in a back alley for some kraft singles :colbert:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

NewForumSoftware posted:

Honestly this is a really good idea and I would head to a buffet 10 minutes after closing to take my fill for a fraction of the cost. I don't know how you monetize this into a business but I like the idea.

it's a decent idea for restaurants, not so much for a startup. if there's any money to be made a restaurant would stop selling their leftovers to some startup and use their own staff to prepare said buffet. for the restaurants that don't want a cheapo before closing buffet, well they're not going to sell their leftovers to these guys

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Discendo Vox posted:

There's a whole industry of groups just dedicated to social media astroturfing and deception, and both twitter and facebook effectively permit the practice, because it has the net effect of increasing use of their platforms.

iirc, stormfront and the kkk are all in on facebook and reddit

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

BarbarianElephant posted:

Yeah, the homeless are using the buses as a warm, safe place to spend the day, which is a problem for people who need to use the bus as transport because homeless people have a bunch of issues (smell, untreated mental illness, begging) that make it harder for everyone else to use the buses. And a single homeless person taking up 2 seats sleeping all day (because they have nowhere safe to sleep at night) means hundreds of people a day don't get to use the seats to travel with.

Safe homeless shelters and free housing for the long-term homeless would help public transport a lot.

But is that bus an actual bus for Lyft customers to use, or just the bus that takes their coders to their offices?

The are a lot worse on Reddit because anyone can post anywhere on Reddit. On Facebook, if you don't like a person, you can unfriend/block them and never hear from them again. Blessed peace.

well and reddit will host poo poo that i imagine facebook would ban you in a second for. like r/deadblackgirls

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

im not even going to try to determine if that is a real thing, because just that phrase in your post made me curl into a ball and cry for a couple minutes.

it was, and there's probably equivalents lurking about reddit to this day. they only pulled subreddits like that cause the news started reporting on it

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

instant rice with soy sauce is p loving delicious and hardly any work. at least it's less work cleaning up after than soylent

of course it's not an entire meal replacement, but you shouldn't be eating such things unless medically necessary. eating well and taking breaks from work are important for your mental health and wellbeing

Condiv fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Oct 28, 2016

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

remember when tesla autopilot decapitated one of tesla's biggest fans?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Uber's sorry for breaking the NYC cabbie strike!

https://techcrunch.com/2017/01/29/uber-apologizes-for-confusion-at-jfk-during-immigration-protest/?ncid=rss

not sorry enough to stop though

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

uber financing drove a guy to suicide in india

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

This guy was being railroaded by lovely customs officers, but tech companies do not need to be importing javascript devs under h1bs. Still really hosed up that cbp thinks it's qualified to administer ad hoc coding tests. Double hosed up they did it cause guy had a foreign name. Triply hosed up that they're trying to revoke h1b visas that've been granted.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Cicero posted:

So the xenophobia has spread so far that even D&D leftists complain about all the immigrants stealing jobs? Skilled immigration is largely A Good Thing. There are definitely some issues with some of the programs but our country is stronger from being able to bring in smart talent from elsewhere and having more links to other countries and cultures.

h1bs are for specialists that can't be found in the US. javascript webdevs do not fall under the definition in the least.