Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

But for ipads upgrading means a new device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B-ekl_cEWk

Waroduce posted:

With HP you dont replace the drum, a new drum is part of a new toner cartridge

This is ....not true unless you are talking about only black and white laser printers. Which only the cheapest of the cheap qualify for these types of cartridges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

I can't find a good photo of the bottom of one but the HP 410 cartridges are what a lot of their current color desktop printers use now and it has the drum in the cartridge. Also is expensive as gently caress ($100 each).

Yep, I'm looking at my 3600 and yeah.....there are dums in the cartridge (and that's not at all a new printer). I was thinking about the ETB - which still ends up needing replacing, just not nearly as frequently as a drum.

Back in the day of the original color LaserJet I can't count how many drums I replaced because of exposure. Paper jam, out of toner, whatever and people would pop open the clamshell and wait for service. There was no cover for the drum when you did this, so 1/2 of it would end up overexposed after a couple of hours of sitting there and a paper jam turned into a $500 service call. Good times.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

I worked as a teacher for summer and paper jam's quickly developed into the bane of my existence.

In my long ago life as a repair tech paper jams were most often from 1.) lack of proper building controls in the area paper was stored (so it was all humid and nasty) 2.) the cheapest paper possible - not only does cheap paper just not feed well, but it also has a lot of dust on the edges where it was cut, which gets on the rollers and separators and makes it jam even more. I'm convinced it's actually cheaper to buy good paper than to service as frequently as you'd need to to keep the average printer running on poo poo paper.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Baby Babbeh posted:

Holocracy...... Zappos

Maybe I missed this part because of too much nonsensical information while reading the recently linked articles...........but does the executive suite just remain while everyone else has no titles? Because it seems like otherwise someone could decide they're the CDO and designated signatory for the company and firesale it off into their own bank account. Also, who decides on raises and poo poo?

I just really don't understand how this works and isn't just a facade. I think that's because it actually doesn't, but I'm willing to have someone show me how I'm wrong and that this isn't just then next iteration of "unlimited PTO".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BarbarianElephant posted:

Serious businesspeople and politicians held onto their Blackberries for a long time after everyone else wanted iPhones. I didn't actually own an iPhone until the iPhone 4, just coded for them, so I'm not 100% on the user experience. The development environment was night-and-day better.

Part of the reason BBs stayed around so long was that it took a really long time for apple to get any real mobile device management, and BES was a thing for a long time, entrenched into enterprise systems and meeting the compliance needs of those enterprises.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BarbarianElephant posted:

Without Obamacare, health insurance is literally impossible to get for a lot of the self-employed, even if you are making good money. I went to a presentation a couple of days ago about a scheme for freelancers to get health care without Obamacare and it really was a torturous system - you had to be "technically hired" by a company that did payroll so you could hire yourself on minimum wage. Or something. It didn't make a lick of sense but I'll probably have to figure it out in a year.

That sounds like a California thing - a PEO. I've never had problems getting healthcare when I've been self employed (pre Obamacare). The only lovely parts were the bills.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

boner confessor posted:

iirc they have a self-driving car r&d program. which makes so little sense for uber of all firms.

They want to code their drivers, not hire them/contract them.

boner confessor posted:

uber specifically avoids owning their own rolling stock

They own every uber car in - at a minimum that I can directly confirm - Singapore. I understand this is the case elsewhere too.

boner confessor posted:

and the first wave of automatic car use in society is going to be owning your own car that drives itself around, which cuts out a ton of the reason people use uber in the first place

And they are betting on a second wave where no one want s to own a car because you just fire up the Uber app and one of their completely autonomous self-driving vehicles shows up at your house 5 minutes later to take you wherever. It's cloud computing for cars.

boner confessor posted:

(everyone i know who uses uber owns a car but uses uber to go to bars/social events with alcohol)

Your experience is not typical.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

boner confessor posted:

this second wave is at minimum fifteen years away, closer to thirty. uber wont last that long. it's a terribly stupid idea, because it's investor storytime

I totally agree. I've not drank the kool aid, I'm just explaining the story they're telling. Unless there is some massive breakthrough that hasn't already been announced as well as massive changes in legislation already happening they ran out of runway before they even started.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blah_blah posted:

I've done it for 3 years in SF and it's pretty great -- here. It's both surprisingly cheap (less than $2k/year for me) and incredibly convenient in a city that is geographically small and where parking is extremely pricey and difficult to find. It would not be pretty great in the South Bay, to say nothing of any city that is either substantially larger or has a substantially lower supply of drivers (basically everywhere).

This is one of the fundamental problems with a lot of SF startups -- they are great at solving 'problems' faced by people living in SF with a lot of disposable income with a high propensity to tradeoff money for time. This does not describe most people in most places.

Exactly this.

When pre-coffee me mad my post earlier about "this is not my experience" it's because most of my uber experience is in the bay area. With years of experience pre-uber. I mean, if there was ever a market to "disrupt" taxis it was either SF or Paris. Even the taxi apps that came out pre/during the beginning of uber were poo poo. I mean, not the apps, but the fact that you would request a taxi and it would show up about 25% of the time and most of time time it was just someone already on their way by. It was awful.

That market doesn't exist everywhere. Just like the market for overly expensive food legos or fancy toaster ovens.

If there's one thing I've learned working in the bay area for 10 years but living on the opposite coast (you should see my airline miles!) it's that a LOT of people out there don't even loving realize they are living in a bubble.

Full (partial) disclosure, I'm working for a bay area recent unicorn startup. So seriously......I get this poo poo. If my posts stat looking like I drank the kool aid I need at least 5 people to tell me so and then I'll PM someone my address who agrees to come punch me in the face because at that point I should actually pay them money to do so.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

boner confessor posted:

that market is pretty scarce

In the "please don't punch me in the face" way.....yes, I agree somewhat (if you consider "scare" to be population centers which is true by geography). In the "(everyone i know who uses uber owns a car but uses uber to go to bars/social events with alcohol)" it's all you. That can be just me as a singular example you don't want to believe or not. I don't think your viewpoint would be difficult to disprove with hard data but I don't care enough to do it because it's such a ridiculous one.

It's a taxi service for people with a bit of money or an expense account that don't have proper black car money. Read: population centers.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

pentyne posted:

when we go public you'll be a billionaire...

We have and while I'm not a billionaire I'm feeling pretty good about things and to have finally hit one that worked......I've been in a lot of startups. (but never once put my own money in any of them, only sweat equity at worst)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Senor Dog posted:

I think you're insane to think that that isn't a huge part of its usage.

I never made a claim on the percentage of their usage. I'm talking about someone stating that it is their ONLY usage, which makes it sound like a statement from someone in college or recently out of college.

I'm in an office full of people who use it regularly for non-drunken activities in SF, and know plenty of people in other areas with similar non-drunken usage. Not sure how this is even a point of contention.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

boner confessor posted:

you're just making this a point of contention because the anecdotal experience of others is conflicting with your anecdotal experience. by living and working in the tech industry in san francisco, i think you can agree (and the point of this thread is about, and you've even said as much) that this is not how most of america lives

So now you're backing to down to no longer an absolute, but just "most"?

Look, it's pretty obvious you're really angry about something and just want to argue. Bottom line: there is more than drunken rides home from the bar as a use case for uber and in a lot more places than SF. As previously stated is definitely in a minority of land mass, but it's definitely not in population density. I'm not going to try to follow your argument as you change it to fit the next post anymore.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cheese posted:

Are you suggesting that widespread taxi/uber use is (or could be) viable for a majority of Americans based on population density?

Potentially. I don't have a crystal ball, but something like this, yes. In those density centers for people who would otherwise mostly drive (meaning they have the means to own a car and pay for parking).

cheese posted:

I think boner confessor's point is that by living in SF and working in tech, you are in a perfect storm of high population density, astronomically high disposable income and logistical hostility to personal car ownership, and that this might be giving you a narrow perspective at what is and is not possible.

Ahhhh, but here's the thing. I don't live in SF. I work in SF. I live on the opposite coast in a rural area. That's my entire point of having a perspective on this. Yes, I have an apartment in SF, but I only live there a week a month. And this is what I consider a short term thing. I've been doming similar (but much less than a week a month and largely without an apartment) for the last decade.

cheese posted:

I live in San Jose and have lived in Hayward and Sacramento, and its really hard to imagine frequent use of taxis/uber in any of those places.

Those are on the edge of where I'm talking about this potentially working. So I'm totally with you here.

Like I said before....I see this as kinda black car service for people without black car money in population centers. It is not a public transportation alternative. It is a semi-luxury service that can only be potentially profitable in population centers with sufficient people of means.

They way it's being run/spread now.........not looking sustainable. In the right cut down markets? Absolutely looks like a low margin business.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cheese posted:

So you are a tech worker who flies out from the east coast to work in Silicon Valley for periods before zipping back across the country? You understand that this is nothing like the life of the vast majority of Americans, right? I mean, for fucks sake, you pay for an apartment in the most expensive housing market in the country that you only use a week out of the month.

I'm not claiming my experience is typical. I'm saying that I spend time in the bubble but still live outside of it so I witness bubble-dweller delusions on a monthly basis. The kinds of thing that go on in there are mind boggling when you are constantly exposed but also have outside perspective.

And no, of course _I_ don't pay for the apartment. That would be pretty lovely negotiating skills. And very not-bubble-like.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

quote:

In a final blow to Uber's self-driving car ambitions in the state, the California DMV revoked the registration of Uber's 16 autonomous vehicles on Wednesday, forcing the company to shut down its self-driving pilot program in San Francisco.

"It was determined that the registrations were improperly issued for these vehicles because they were not properly marked as test vehicles," the DMV wrote in a letter to Uber on Wednesday.

http://www.businessinsider.com/uber-self-driving-cars-leave-california-for-arizona-2016-12

They're off to disrupt Arizona now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

pangstrom posted:

I was a mobile phone late adopter and admittedly not in the scene but when I saw my friend "browsing the net" on the first iPhone I was pretty amazed. Whether this and that chunk already existed in other forms is very goon thinking and/or a troll.

Totally. I've been an early adopter of poo poo like this because I'm a nerd. I had what was arguably (keep arguing nerds) one of the best at the time of release: the Motorola Q. Yes, there were other windows phones that were like carrying bricks around in your pocket, but I got the general highlights of the experience at the time.

The iPhone, while just a cobbling of existing technology, was the exact right cobbling at the time. It was absolutely revolutionary as a consumer device and I'm not sure how anyone can dispute that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

How about Grab? They just put an Uber-like interface on getting real taxis.

Is Grab anywhere other than Singapore?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

LinYutang posted:

Always remember:

And that person's computer is currently broken badly. So we get to see just how many of these tech companies are truly unprepared.

Amazon S3 is down in Ashburn, the region most people use. It appears a lot of people don't have backup plans, or have resources in other regions because the internet is basically on fire now. Name a trendy app and there's a better than 50/50 chance it's down right now because of this. My personal favorite so far is "isitdownrightnow.com" is down because of this. Also Trello, which a lot of these companies use for their documentation and communication, so they can't even figure out how to fix their broken services because Trello is broken for the same reason they their stuff is broken.

Just put it in the cloud......why maintain your own servers....it will be fine.....

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fishmech posted:

I mean, there's already all sorts of companies that own and operate massive fleets of cars. It's not a new thing, or thing practiced infrequently, we can make very good estimates on what building and maintaining a fleet of vehicles looks like - and that's rather expensive. Especially if it's some company like Uber that aims to operate not even nationwide but globally.

In fact Uber has some experience with this. They do own their fleet in some area. Singapore for sure.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NoDamage posted:

Exactly. It's also worth nothing that these IT consulting companies are largely multinationals headquartered in India: Tata (Mumbai), Infosys (Bangalore), Wipro (Bangalore), etc. It seems like a bizarre subversion of process for them to open US branches and then proceed to abuse the H1B system to import foreign workers to work in said branches. But this is also very different from what Google, Amazon, etc are doing when they hire a H1B at competitive market rates, which was my original point.

I can't speak for google or Amazon, but we have legit offices in other countries and let employees move between them if it's feasible and we can accommodate it. Of course the headquarters is in SF and of course there is always more demand to come there than we can satisfy with the H1B system. It's also very expensive and a pain in the rear end for HR and our lawyers.

But every single one of these people are regionally adjusted to our top tier COL when moving to the bay area or new york and the entire process legitimately help the employees and the business do better work, and brings high salary taxable income employees to the US - far more people making higher relative salaries than the number of people who choose to go to non-US offices.

I don't know whether the system is broken or not, but I wanted to point out that it is being legitimately used as it was intended by at least some companies.

Remulak posted:

130 is too low, should be at least 140, probably 150. My guess is we fill every single available slot at 150.

This wouldn't change a singe thing about how we're using the H1B system. I say bring it on.

Remulak posted:

I say gently caress the h1-b and give them green cards, and let them find their own value in the marketplace. And let families over on the green cards while were at it.

I don't know the larger consequences to something like this, but from personal experience I'd love to see it happen for the people I work with.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Isn't that what the L1 visa is for? The H1B is for US companies who do not have offices in other countries to hire people from those countries if there's no one in the US who can what those particular people do. Intra-corporate moves are a different category. L1 visa holders' spouses can also get a visa that allows them to work, btw.

I'm by no means a visa expert, but most people that have talked to me about this at my company are on H1Bs. Sounds like Subjunctive may have some idea of why this doesn't always work.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Very many employees sell their shares when the lockout ends. It's just rational: you already have a lot of future wealth tied up in unvested shares, so converting some to other assets is a good idea.

And for the most part, these employees have a completely hosed asset allocation so selling is exactly the correct move. Most of your net worth tied up in a company that you draw a paycheck from is not a great financial plan. It doesn't mean they don't believe in the company, it means they have sound financial advice.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

We're still doing phrasing?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Analytic Engine posted:

(Being pedantic here) He implied that those were/are the standards for position titles but "lol anything goes nowadays in SV". We're saying that the jobs were never organized in a system like that and the first part of his post is an opinion. Same for "Architect" and "Senior __" in tech, the meaning is totally subjective and we should ignore people whining about 20-somethings with "inflated" titles. We're not ABET-accredited engineers, we don't have a governing body, and this poo poo is every-person-for-themselves. Like you said about "Engineer", go for what the MBAs think is most impressive

This is not pedantic at all for anyone in the industry. Titles are nearly non-comparitory between companies and are also used in lieu of actual monetary compensation for those who don't know better.

"Engineer" "Junior" "Senior" have literally mo meaning outside of the context of a specific company when it relates to software and network people. "Engineer" was coopted and never should have been (I've spent most of my career as some level of network "engineer" and having that word in my title makes me cringe) and the rest is completely arbitrary.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

We're not far off from someone using it to gene drive pest insects out of existence, though, and it'll be fun when someone does something ecologically moronic.

This is by far the most terrifying thing about the crispr research so far. I don't even know how you deal with those implications ecologically, and the lack of any way to have informed consent in subsequent generations of gene-driven humans is just too much to wrap my head around.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I grew up on a heavily-gardened lot -- we're talking fruit trees, raspberries and strawberries, grapes, as well as an Imperial fuckton of vegetables -- in a house with two teachers. It was a hell of a lot of work to keep up the garden, and that included free labor from two teenagers. We ate from the garden from roughly March (asparagus) through October, and even with a respectable amount of canning and freezing we ate supermarket produce from November through February.

Have fun with your garden, and high-five, but I think you'll be shocked by how much labor is required to keep it running. There's a reason people fled farming.

You speak truth here. Whenever I see someone thinking they're gonna live off their 1 or 2 acres I just laugh to myself and carry on.......they'll figure this out eventually.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Be careful picking your fruit trees, because many commercial varieties are raised to fruit all at once for convenient harvesting.

I actually prefer this for fruit trees and things like tomatoes. Determinates are great if you can/freeze/otherwise preserve. Of course I alway have some indeterminates around, particularly tomatoes because you might as well enjoy them fresh as long as you can.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blowfish posted:

remember that the craptocurrency community's first response to being asked "what real world uses do bitcoin etc have" was posting a story about a bitcoiner on holiday masturbating next to and cumming on his brazilian host family's underage daughter

Av post combo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Baby Babbeh posted:

So wait, if they're just buying bags of teenager blood from blood banks and reselling them to rich assholes at a 1000% markup, is there anything stopping me, as a private citizen, from just buying blood from those blood banks, storing it in my fridge, and giving myself transfusions to extend my life? Other than sanity and common sense, I mean.

Technically you can't get a syringe/start kit without a prescription. So there's that. Hopefully something to do with rando private citizens buying blood isn't legal too........

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

actionjackson posted:

I'll just ask again, can someone with "stock" in a private company sell all or part of it prior to an IPO? For example if you think the shares value will plummet after an IPO

Usually not, and it's usually not stock - it's typically options which may or may not be exercisable before an IPO. As others have said, this is totally an "it depends" situation.

hobbesmaster posted:

The shares have no value without an IPO

That's not true at all. Private valuations happen all the time, as well as pricing based on the last round of funding.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Space Gopher posted:

If somebody's dealing with a medical issue that keeps them from working at their full potential, then a PIP is useless, because the "improvement plan" is going to read "1. Deal with the medical issue that's preventing you from working at your full potential," and the idea of a PIP is kinda useless.

I don't see how a PIP is useless in that case. It's a measurable goal to perform at the level you were hired to perform at/formerly performed at. Medical leave was even offered. I'm not sure what responsibility an employer is supposed to have when someone can no longer do the job they were hired to do and insists on showing up to work to perform badly and causes additional load on the rest of the team because of it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

WampaLord posted:

I still don't see what she did wrong? She pointed out some bad wording on a question, and this lead to her firing.

This seems bad, no matter how much more context I read into it. Yet loving Space Gopher is posting tons and tons of words to assure us, no, in fact, it's her dumb fault for opening her mouth.

This seems like a really disingenuous read of the situation. I agree that things were done wrong by her management/employer, but she was fired when she was literally too emotionally damaged to perform at work and refused to take medical leave.

No doubt they wanted to get rid of her, but she served up the excuse on a silver platter.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

as someone who grew up next to baltimore and lives in philly, crabcakes are overrated and cheesesteaks are terrible.

You shut your filthy whore mouth.

Do you just get Pats/Ginos grade tourist-steaks and I-95 rest stop crab cakes, or do you really have no soul and/or taste buds?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

I can't think of another luxury electric vehicle that existed at the time. Whether you think that's innovative or not is up to you, but it was an untapped market to make electric vehicles cool.

Yeah, it's pretty much this. So many people don't know about/forgot about the Tesla Roadster (electric Lotus Elise), which was not only completely unique at the time but was also setting EV-distance records. While they may not have invented any of the core technologies, they were the first to put them together into a very nicely working package that was also fun to drive.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

Something that actually changes the market. The internet did not look the same before Google's search engine showed that searching could be non poo poo.\

If you know the first thing about the Internet from that time (like, you were around to use it) this is the definition of incremental. Search arguably started with Gopher, but pick your starting point. It was largely hand indexed. Then came along the next wave of search engines with hand indexing plus submissions. Then web crawling. It all kinda still sucked, but then Google took all of that an come up with a better algorithm for ranking crawled results and displaying them.

MiddleOne posted:

Cloud computing was not a mass industry before Amazon perfected it

If there was something to perfect it was by definition an incremental improvement.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrandorKP posted:

In the academic sense of the word, this is spot on. Tesla is not serving an ignored low end market segment in a fundamentally new way. It's a luxury product.

I'm far from a Musk fanboy even though in the context of some of the posters here I'll probably be accused of it: he said early on he wanted to bring this down market, and drat if they aren't. $110k, roadster to a $68k model S ($82k Model X) to a $35k Model 3.

You might say that's......incremental.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fishmech posted:

The Model 3 sure is down market, in that it looks like total crap inside and out. The Nissan Leaf models that have been out for years, or the Chevy Bolt that came out this year, are much nicer cars for the same price range, the Bolt even has superior battery range.

I'm not going into which is better. It exists, it's what was stated they would do. People are preordering the poo poo out of it and, once again, they have a supply can't meet demand situation.

It seems they are doing at least a few things right.

FYI, the Model S looks like poo poo when compared to other cars in it's price range, but it's obviously selling out too. (outside: dat panel gap....sample to sample differences are hilar-aitrocious. Interior: Almost as good as a high trim model GM with extra glued on unreadable-in-the-sun iPads with 100% less real buttons and knobs that could be used by feel without looking at them).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GEMorris posted:

The quality difference between my wife's mid-spec Volvo v60 interior and the interior of the Model S is pretty laughable. I think you're being a bit too generous to GM interiors, but yeah, Tesla interiors do not reflect the price point in any way.

This is not at all up for argument from me. They are atrocious....but let's be serious....Volvo does pretty well on fit and finish.

Trevor Hale posted:

They have a supply that cannot meet demand because they cannot build cars.

How few constitutes "cannot build"? They did 25k in the first quarter of 2017 according to a very cursory google search.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TACD posted:

I guess I'm behind the times, but since when did Uber start renting cars to its drivers? I thought drivers bringing their own cars was their whole deal and fairly central to their already-tenuous "we're not a taxi company" gambit?

In Singapore it's ridiculously expensive to get a permit to put a vehicle on the road. There is no way anyone who can afford a Certificate of Entitlement would be driving for Uber.

You have to bid on them and they expire every 10 years. Also, the annual registration fee is at least S$20k (just under $15k).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

boner confessor posted:

this seems like extremely fine hair splitting. what is the difference between a high fee on a vehicle use permit vs a high fee on a vehicle itself?

In this particular example they have both.

And the difference is that the vehicle use permit costs what it costs. The vehicle registration is based on the value of the vehicle.