Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pellisworth posted:

sounds like a business opportunity, you should develop an app where you can pay plebs to be your friend

Beerr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This, EXACTLY. Who knew -- it's way cheaper to run hotels or taxis or personal services if you don't have to get a license, post bonds, and obey the standard laws on the subject, including paying specialized taxes. The CEOs (especially Uber's ) say "transformative" but in practice it means "I don't have to follow taxi regulations because I'm not a taxi enjoy your lack of liability insurance, training, and background screening." See also the various AirBNB horror stories, from both hosts and guests, as well as the apartment buildings being turned into AirBNB farms, every apartment on short-term rent but again not having to obey hotel ordinances.

The businesses that do obey local laws are at a severe disadvantage against the "disruptive" businesses that claim they don't have to.

I went to a presentation for a startup called Truxx, which is basically Uber for moving things. One of the questions from the audience was "what are you going to do when established businesses complain about regulations you might be violating", and the response was that there's nothing relevant yet or something.

Sure, buddy, the Teamsters absolutely will not care about you taking over hired freight on the DL. :rolleyes:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Stanos posted:

Strength: Make money really fast hiring cheaper drivers.

Weakness: Your kneecaps when the Teamsters are done with you.

Opportunities: Healr, Uber but for ambulances.

Threats: Massive lawsuits.

That's why you use Mobr, like Uber but for organized crime.

Order hits on your iPhone! One-Click-Protection-Racket!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Peel posted:

You won't have to worry about labour unions once my Pinkrton scabbing app goes live.

This very thread is full of future unicorns.

OR ELSE! :toughguy:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arsenic Lupin posted:

e: To bring this thread back on-topic, Facebook is threatening to pull out their datacenter, a significant job provider IIRC, because the government slashed solar subsdies. Turns out they built it anyway.

I talked to a corporate lawyer once, and they full on admitted that once they decided they had a market in a certain area, it's nice to have the tax cuts, but them not passing through the County/State Legislature wasn't expected to stop them from building their latest storefront. Anecdotal, I know, but I think about it every time another company threatens they're totally going to take up root and move to X if sweet deal Y doesn't come through.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Suppose that Uber does collapse, and all that remains is that taxi companies were forced to modernize. That wouldn't be that bad, would it?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

blowfish posted:

This seems kind of related to the part where MBAs who have never seen the inside of a factory or r&d lab end up faking competence.

When I was working in retail, the probably newly-minted MBA-carrying regional manager started talking to us about workers on the factory floor.

I was politic enough to avoid responding with "you do realize this is a retail outlet, and that we don't have a line of customers coming in which we assemble into buyers, right?"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Please can we talk about high-tech unicorns? Insulting each other's places of residence will lead to nothing but tears boredom.

Yeah, one of you can post a new thread called "No, here not be dragons, rear end in a top hat!" or something and talk about how one shouldn't count out Raleigh/Durham, Atlanta, St. Louis, Lincoln, Salt Lake City, etc, as places to live or whatever, and how the fact that people do count them out leads to an unsustainable real-estate market. Let's keep this thread more focused, please.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

blowfish posted:

unlike tbbt, silicon valley explicitly thinks silicon valley is funny and dumb rather than funny and cute

There needs to be a series about academia from the funny and dumb angle.

What do startups think about Halt and Catch Fire?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

blowfish posted:

Who is pdp anyway, one of those guys famous for being famous?

This is Youtube Red's headliner from the spam they sent out about it just a day or two ago:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Trevor Hale posted:

http://idlewords.com/talks/web_design_first_100_years.htm

This is my favorite talk about what the Internet could be. Scroll down to the "Cult of Growth" slide. It's exactly this question, and the world would be better if more people thought this way.

This is a pro click, worth reading in its entirety.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Tell us more, please!

I'm going to hazard a guess that a company dedicated to making international money transfers as seamless and cheap as possible by using what looks like a more automated version of hawala is going to be financed by organized crime. The money laundering potential is too big to be ignored. See also Bitcoin.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

sbaldrick posted:

It might not be financed by organized crime but it is going to be hevely used by them.

It's more the massive network of transnational workers need someone to transfer money and this works with there traditions but on the internet. Which is what all the best web business are.

Let's just say that I wouldn't be surprised if some of those VC's get some very interesting visits if they dare back out. :toughguy:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Stinky_Pete posted:

I'm sure that's what they told the guys in medieval Europe building those huge churches in exchange for scraps and the virtuous risk of falling to their deaths

What could be nobler than falling into martyrdom? :angel:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Yahoo is the sunk cost fallacy in the flesh, then virtualized to the cloud.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
A map of organized unicrime:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mirthless posted:

I'm not a legal expert. :colbert:

Surprised three isn't a thread in BFC called "I Pee Law" about exactly these topics.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
SurveyMonkey is doing great - which is why the new CEO is firing 100 employees? :raise:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The Military-Unicornial complex just got tighter: Former Google CEO Schmidt to head new Pentagon innovation board.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Holyshoot posted:

Google one step closer to umbrella Corp?

To be fair, "Alphabet Inc" is ominous enough in itself.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Oculus Rift support for Macs? If Apple 'ever releases a good computer,' founder says

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Wouldn't you know it, it's time for quarterly reports. Let's see how Yahoo!'s been doing!

quote:

Q1 2016 Progress Report On Our Product Prioritization

By Amotz Maimon, Chief Architect

During our last earnings call, we outlined a plan for simplifying the business and focusing on our strengths across seven core consumer products: Mail, Search, Tumblr, News, Sports, Finance and Lifestyle. Over 1 billion people come to Yahoo each day, and we are dedicated to providing them with the best experience possible.

After a careful evaluation, we’ve decided to make the following product decisions:

• Yahoo Games: As part of our efforts to focus on select areas, the Yahoo Games site and publishing channel will be discontinued as of Friday, May 13, 2016. For more information, please read the FAQ.
  • Yahoo Livetext: We are shutting down Livetext at the end of March 2016. Livetext allowed us to experiment with new user experiences and features to drive innovations across our products. We plan to incorporate the learnings and features into Yahoo products including Yahoo Messenger, our core messaging platform.
  • Yahoo Regional Media Properties: In the coming weeks, we will shut down some of our regional, genre-specific media properties to streamline our editorial offering to focus on our four core content areas: News, Sports, Finance and Lifestyle.
    • Yahoo Astrology will close in the UK, France, Germany, Spain and India.
    • Yahoo Maktoob (Arabic and English) genre-specific media sites, including News, Celebrity, Movies, Style, Helwa, Sports and Weather, will close and the pages will redirect to the Yahoo Maktoob homepages in Arabic and English.
  • Yahoo BOSS: To streamline and simplify products for our developer community, we are discontinuing BOSS JSON Search API and BOSS Hosted Search, as well as the BOSS Placefinder and Placespotter APIs, on March 31, 2016. We are offering YPA, a new Javascript solution, for publishers who manage their own search engine results pages. Now with free algorithmic web results, publishers can monetize across desktop, tablet or mobile web with Yahoo search ads. Moving forward, Yahoo Mobile Developer Suite is our offering for mobile developers.

I literally laughed out loud at "streamline our editorial offering".

Here's some outside coverage.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The truth is that it is not that hard to train someone with some programming proficiency to be a reasonable programmer for your team, so any tool reducing the amount of applicants you need to pay attention to, including screening by school, or just throwing away 90% of applications at random, is probably going to help with your hiring process just in terms of shortening it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

joe football posted:

The idea that winnowing candidates by haphazard measures is fine, the results are good enough and doing things differently would be too much effort kind of undermines the idea that these companies require and are fiercely competing for the absolute best and brightest

Yes. As far as the entry level goes "best and brightest" is bullshit, because the only real way to judge how well someone does a job is have them do this job.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

This. You can filter for assholes to some degree though.

The company I work for has a strict 'no assholes' hiring policy that actually works. And it's great. Every company should have such a policy.

What rear end in a top hat metric do they use?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Wheany posted:

I'm going to make a $200 portable bluetooth bedpan that reminds you to urinate throughout the day.

BedPang

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There are actually jobs out there for profoundly lazy people who want to do nothing all day. Some work crews will hire somebody to just sit in a chair over an open manhole cover so nobody can fall in. In places where you need to be technically a carpool to use certain roads or lanes couriers will sometimes hire a person or two to just sit in the van with them all day so they can use those lanes. I've heard of construction crews hiring somebody to just sit by the tools all day because they had trouble with people stealing them.

I'd go crazy doing that kind of job but there are people whose first thought would be "so I can just sit here and look at something all day? And you don't care if I just play with my phone? Yup, I'll take that."

These are actually "no work" positions that are given to organized crime syndicates as payment for protection. :ssh:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Well that's...an interesting little factoid. Is that like all the time or most of the time or...what?

My source is recently watching The Sopranos, so take that with a grain of salt. :v:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Subjunctive posted:

You don't get a transcript to check grades, you get it as supporting material for a degree claim. It's not at all unusual as part of a background check to establish diligence, especially around the sort of hire you mention in your earnings call. Similarly, I've had to produce records of employment for past employers when my work there had been widely reported in the press. It's not a big deal, and it's not casting aspersions.

I can't imagine it having bothered Vint at all, he is one of the chillest guys I've ever worked with.

Is there anything you don't like about working at Google?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Subjunctive posted:

I've never worked at Google.

Cicero posted:

Subjunctive worked/works at Oculus/Facebook.

Sorry about that! :doh:

quote:

The recruiting process takes too long, it's depressing to see your friends/former colleagues apply and then almost always get rejected, the promo process is stressful and time-consuming, and having the largest office be in the bay area is bad for one's wallet.

That sucks. :smith:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hughlander posted:

In siding with Hogan, whose real name is Terry Bollea, the court ­decided that he was performing a private act in the sex tape — and posting the video wasn’t protected by the First Amendment.
The jury didn’t stop with the media company itself, as they also found Gawker founder Nick Denton and the ex-editor who posted the video, A.J. Daulerio, personally liable.

:siren: We have a veil breach! :siren:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Josh Lyman posted:

I would have been so happy to forfeit the higher salaries of research universities to go to a small/medium private school and teach undergrads for the next 40 years. Alas, poo poo happens.

LOL at you for thinking that that would have been less competitive and mind-murdering.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
IBM's not just firing. They're also still doing acquisitions: Bruce Schneier's Resilient Systems is one of the most recent targets.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ToxicAcne posted:

In the gaming industry threes some big VR hype. Is it actually going to be revolutionary or is it just like motion controls?

I know the indie game devs in this region (NYS Capital Distrcit) are really looking into getting their hands on sets to play with. I haven't really heard anyone mention specific ideas where it seems to me a complete game changer (:v:), but I'd give them time.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Shifty Pony posted:

If my blanket is clipped to the top sheet how am I supposed to kick it off when my Nest thermostat decides to randomly set the heat at 88 degrees during the middle of the night?

Kickr.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Javascript is a house of cards.

tl;dr: some stupid also-ran chat company threatens to sue someone for using the same name as them in some library inside the node.js stack. The developer refuses, but the managers of the stack fold. In response, developer pulls all of his source from the stack. Now loads of other people's builds don't work.

Here are those geniuses whose name is oh so important:

quote:

Only Kik lets you connect with friends, groups, and the world around you through chat. Just ask, “What’s your Kik?”

:what:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I talked to my friend the IP lawyer and she says the developer is completely in the wrong, legally, and that the most unreasonable person here is clearly the developer. I still feel that Kik tried to use a "we're all buddies here, please do this" tone when they weren't buddies and it wasn't a request.

Unless they can demonstrate that they had a viable trademark interest in the Node.js stack before he wrote the Kik library in that context, how is what he did illegal?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
How about this discussion goes some other thread?

In other words:

Planet X posted:

Who loving cares about that, post failing companies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Discendo Vox posted:

I have a lot of trouble understanding that this is where your money is going, then still paying it anyways. Like, I get the idea of comfort in abstraction, but come on, your copy of Hunie Pop or whatever is literally funding ISIS.

Or is literally going to someone who got an extra copy as a gift and doesn't have anything to do with it? :shrug: