Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
So if uber is burning cash from vc's what is their end game to be profitable? I thought people create businesses to make money through profit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

Gabe Newell always said that the way to beat piracy was to be more convenient than piracy, and goddamn if he wasn't right.

Don't forget a lot of games released these days have always online, leader boards, community play etc etc. Id say that does more to deter pirating then other stuff. I know I used to pirate games but now most games I play are connected to a server for whatever reason so it's far easier to just buy it.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
The gaming industry can solve it self by keeping most of its poo poo connected to an online database of achievements, being able to play together, etc etc. Look at all of blizzards games. I highly doubt any of their games are pirated because they all have massive online features.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Yup like we have all said convenience will make people want to pay and stop being illegal. Netflix has somewhat harnessed this but not all the way nor can it. Until there is a "Netflix" for all current seasons of tv shows that isn't ad riddled like hulu or cost an arm and a leg and setup like cable I'll be sticking to :filez: for what I can't get on netflix.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

If nothing else no modern product placement is ever going to be as blatant as it was in the Race to Witch Mountain remake.

Have you seen the Honda fit episode of community lol.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I'm on a cell phone so no quotes from the article but lmao at recent zenifits craziness.

quote:

Calif. startup asked workers to stop having sex in stairwells.

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/national/calif-startup-asked-workers-stop-sex-stairwell-article-1.2542042

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Having to rub one out to the wavy green lines of a tit from a premium channel you didn't get. Teenagers these days are so lucky.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Don't people like her love being ceo? So parachuting off into the sunset with her gold wouldn't be her thing. And ending yahoo on a bad note would hurt her chances at being ceo of another big company no?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Are these people all extremely smart? And then pair that with being rich after PayPal means the world is their playground? Like how do you found so many popular successful companies? Like what sets them apart from your average smart Google engineer or w/e else takes intelligence to work at but is more of a cog type job?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Google one step closer to umbrella Corp?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

Remember how folks here were trying to convince us that being critical of LBGT policies in places like North Carolina was nothing more than regional chauvinism?

Huh, so I guess these local differences do matter. I love how they threw in the anti-minimum wage bit in there as a nice "we haven't forgotten to gently caress the poor either" measure.

"Banned LGBT Non-Discrimination Policies"

No it doesn't. It's one specific law, aimed at allowing people to use the bathroom of their choice, by saying they "identify" as the other sex. Unfortunately, kids as expected, abused that, resulting in a huge distraction and set of unforeseen issues, such as sexual harassment.

And no, it doesn't do anything special for minimum-wage laws, it forces ordinances to follow the state laws, and those states have to follow the federal laws. That's just the way it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

Why did you ignore that, it was sitting right there?

"Why did you ignore that, it was sitting right there?"
Because it's dishonest, and does what most of these articles do. It sensationalizes the information to upset people so they'll share the information. "It also prevents any local governments from passing their own non-discrimination ordinances." Know what else it does? Stops them from passing their own DISCRIMINATION ordinances. See what I did there? I took what it does, and turned it into a different orientation, by changing the message.

Look at the following two statements, and tell me which one is accurate:

It also prevents any local governments from passing their own non-discrimination ordinances.
It also prevents any local governments from passing their own discriminating ordinances.

Which one is true? Which one upsets people? Yeah, they're both true. Basically what this law does is REINFORCE not create the fact that a local government can't make an ordinance that breaks the state law, just as a state law can't pass a law that breaks the federal law.

They decided to sensationalize it because if you want to make a loose connection, you can. They're saying "Local governments can't pass an ordinance that allows men to use the women's restroom simply because they've stated that that's their gender identity."

Why would they say that? Because otherwise, they'd have to do this every single time an ordinance is passed by any local government. This way, they prevent it from happening in the first place. So if you think that it's discrimination to tell a man "You're not allowed to use the women's restroom just because you claim you identify as a woman." then yes, you can get away with saying "It also prevents any local governments from passing their own NON-DISCRIMINATION ordinances." It's dishonest, and misleading.

Yes, there were examples of guys who would go into women's restrooms, and walk around with their penis out because they have a fetish of being seen naked. Imagine your daughter goes into the restroom, and some guy is in there flashing pre-teen girls his cock. Oh but you can't tell him anything because he says "Nope. I identify as a woman. Sorry."

This is why they're doing this.

The restroom thing is a huge, overwhelming issue. On one hand, it sucks that a transsexual would have to use a men's restroom. But, do you really think that this is an issue? If they're not acting like men, and being creepy, and genuinely are just transsexual women who are using the restroom, there won't be an issue. But when you pass a law that makes people feel good, with REAL consequences, you have to understand that there will be some negative blow back.