Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Sad that the people who made wind turbines more efficient had to do that but mad respect for the fact they made it through the meetings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

Imagine if they actually degraded with each copy: :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEzhxP-pdos

I'm honestly loving curious how they get so many pixels in their copy pastes.

Us nerds: Press the PrtScr button, PNG comes out.

MAGAgrandma1488: Is there a way I can send this image to everyone I know? I should probably copy it into Powerpoint and then Word before I send it on.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Don’t read any words on YouTube ever.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

"So you bought our fancy-looking and popular prosumer network hardware with Apple-like styling? Have some ads!"

https://twitter.com/superdealloc/status/1376626243865604100

I've got a 10 year old AirRouter that I refuse to upgrade even to take advantage of Comcast bumping me over 100 down. This is easily the best router I've ever owned and I bought a shitload of $50-100 routers in the late 2000s, flashed them to DD-WRT/Tomato, etc. I was seriously considering stepping up to one of Ubiquiti's SOHO overkill-for-my-situation routers (they don't make high end home routers anymore). Key word is WAS.

E:

https://twitter.com/superdealloc/status/1376656691618545667

I mean yeah obviously but I held out hope.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 31, 2021

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

x1o posted:

A smart idea considering how bad the Ubiquiti Breach actually was.

that article posted:

According to Adam, the hackers obtained full read/write access to Ubiquiti databases at Amazon Web Services (AWS), which was the alleged “third party” involved in the breach.

holy poo poo lol

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Wireless VR is definitely where it's at though and where it's moving, corded VR is horrible.

Eagerly awaiting the first time someone Anatoli Bugorskis themself when the tracking hiccups on their 64k 960fps wireless headset.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I like the idea of a small projection of your speed at the bottom of your windshield but the other stuff seems dumb as hell. We move our heads around too much for something like night vision to work.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

C Standard API shouldn’t apply because it’s ANSI but did SCO buy the original UNIX APIs too?

E: To be clear I’m not talking about POSIX but the actual OG C language APIs that were invented at Bell Labs and...everything is based on.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 6, 2021

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

quote:

Without knowing any details so far, the platform promises “the highest level of protection and privacy for members”

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah but no innocent people died.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Silly Burrito posted:

Maybe 3D printer food replication, but not Star Trek style replication. So if I get a self-driving car that I can actually turn on and use, anything past that is just lagniappe.

You misspelled lasagna pipe.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Somfin posted:

And most importantly-

- does the responsibility for the behaviour of a robot belong to the company that produced the robot, or the current owner?

This is an outstanding question that will be answered in the shittiest way possible.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Motronic posted:

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/04/20/tesla-crash-victims/

So I guess they just......put a brick on the accelerator and let er rip? Or is this the "4 seconds before the crash the car exited autopilot and notified the driver to resume control of the vehicle" kind of "not operating on autopilot"?

Gonna guess the Autopilot disengage lines up with the tire-smoking panic brake.

E: gently caress I thought I was responding to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3hrKnv0dPQ

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 21, 2021

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Beelzebufo posted:

Watching Tesla driving videos gives me anxiety every time. Just watching the car decide to turn into traffic or run red lights would be enough for me to never, ever trust it again.

What is wrong with these people.

Bug report: Tesla ML has been trained with BMW data.

Proposed fix: Add Mercedes data.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

There probably were but apparently leadership deleted a bunch of internal chat logs before this meeting.

E: /\ dammit lol

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

HelloSailorSign posted:

And a baseball bat next to both in case one day they start talking back :v:

If it’s the joke I’m thinking of, one is a non-internet printer and the other is a gun if the printer starts acting up. So…you were on the right page!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Makes sense; it takes time to encrypt giga/petabytes of data, 3 day weekend means one more day if your monitoring is “Bob in accounting can’t open payroll.xlsx.”

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

TACD posted:

I really don’t think anybody should be using a frame shift drive in urban areas at all

Last time I tried the Friendship Drive around Sol 3 I got blown up.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Look I’m sure they will patch this particular corner case in the next few months.

The patch will be an update to the EULA stating that they are not responsible for heat related damages.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I bought a new washer-dryer set that had a steam washer, and part of the high-endedness was that it had an app. When I read the disclaimer on the app, they were going to be selling my personal data and there was no way to opt out. I decided that the entertainment value of having my phone tell me the laundry was done wasn't worth it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Touchscreen controls are the dumbest thing ever, even ignoring internet connectivity. I’m typing this on a phone with one thumb and I’m doing it a hell of a lot slower than I would be on an actual keyboard. Obviously I’m not going to be able to put a full 104 key in my pocket, so this is an acceptable trade off.

Why in the ACTUAL gently caress does my wife’s car have a touchscreen radio? I’m driving a 2 ton vehicle at 60MPH, give me some physical buttons so I can change the station by feel. Also love the “don’t use this while driving” disclaimer that pops up for a full 15 seconds when I turn the car on, the perfect time to gently caress around with the touchscreen because I’m still parked.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

If you can make a thing that saves me 30 seconds every morning I will spend the extra $20 on it. I’m trying to talk my wife into spending $60 on a new coffee pot. I can program the thing without referring to the manual and doing an 80s VCR style refer to manual type thing.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Volmarias posted:

My favorite is geese.

If anyone else mentions Stanislav Petrov one more time I'm going to scream.

Is there a milkshake duck thing or are you just tired of hearing about the dude who saved us from living in Fallout?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Korak posted:

At this point who the gently caress is actually against right to repair? Like yeah there might be some insanely nuanced disagreements within the movement, but for the most part it seems like both sides of the aisle would come out 99% for it as a concept.

Do you really want some rando to attempt to fix your expensive pocket computer? What if we put a <cell carrier> shirt on them?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Can’t wait to bring my drill back to Home Depot every time I swap batteries for pairing. Lost your receipt? Wait over there for the cops, criminal.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Literal rubber banding…because I attached a bungee cord to the back of your stupid robot.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Beelzebufo posted:

Can we not tediously rehash the morality of piracy. That's very 2010. Artists deserve to be paid for their work, however the corporate vampires that run the entertainment industry are definitely more evil than even the worse pirate and are defintely getting the gulag when the revolution comes. It is possible to theoretically support the need for copyright, while also recognizing that the current system is often anti-consumer in the worst way and that the lawsuits stemming from it are often extremly predatory and specifically work by trying to scare people into not looking up their rights.

Pirate albums, buy merch. The bands will love you for it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Warmachine posted:

Despite knowing that bread, frozen, chips, and soft drinks are all stocked by the vendors/contractors, I never bothered to ask why when I worked at the grocery store. I can speculate that bread and chips has something to do with the companies thinking their people handle the product better? Or maybe volume--stores would have to keep entire teams on hand just to restock those four sections when instead the vendor can pay some roving contractor to go store-to-store and top things up daily. Or something.

I think brand control and stock handling are probably the big things.

I can also see it helping with division of labor. Every minute the person in the big truck spends stocking shelves is a minute they aren’t dropping off goods at the next store. It makes sense to have someone in a normal car come behind to stock because it frees the big truck up.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

eXXon posted:

Yes. I get that the point is to need a password and access to a physical device but in the case of logging in from your phone, there's no added benefit from the Duo app.

It’s because the thing you’re logging into has no way to trust that you’re using your phone to log in. (Aside from the authenticator app.)

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah once automatic driving is well established your insurance will probably be based on some combination of the vehicle’s physical characteristics (how well it can avoid accidents and how much damage it does if it gets into one) and the auto drive software package.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Reddit is proof that forum posts should not be arranged in tree form.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The cops on the list will get promotions.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Best Buy used to have some house brand TV that was just a big dumb screen. It had a rudimentary setup screen and other than that it was just a converter between HDMI signals and light/sound. I miss that brand.

E: Ugh the brand name was/is Insignia but they’re “smart” now.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Paradox model seems okay so far.

Release a base game for $50. Every 3-6 months release an expansion pack that updates mechanics and gives new toys. New mechanics are free but toys cost $20.

Crusader Kings 2 was released in 2012 and was actively updated, vanilla and DLC, until CK3 dropped in late 2020.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Now I’m imagining a logarithmic zoom function. Pinch a fraction of an inch to zoom in half way but the rest of the zoom requires pinching and lifting your fingers multiple times.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I chuckled at the 4/134 upthread thinking it was a joke.

No there are 100+ posts in that tweet thread.

Please dunk on me because I didn’t read all the way to THE ARISTOCRATS.

…please?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Because burned out workers will fix the problem with your insanely complicated rocket and not create ten more because they’re alternating between updating their resumes, buying cases of MONSTER ROCKET FUEL 50% CAFFEINE BY VOLUME, and poking at the rocket design CAD program.

Fake edit: Now you have at least eleven problems.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

Turning off search and viewing history (followed by blacklisting hundreds of channels every year) best thing i ever did on YouTube.

My YouTube channel is decent for just this reason. I still get random suggestions for new videos from JustAskingQuestions1488 from time to time (probably because I follow Forgotten Weapons and the algorithm thinks I like all gun stuff) but there’s a button to not suggest more videos from this channel and it works okay.

E: I just popped into the YouTube app and the first 10 videos are random video game nerd poo poo, a Forgotten Weapons from 5 years ago, and a Bad Religion song.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 3, 2021

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Scratch Monkey posted:

It's easy. Discord parses data looking for keywords and builds a profile about you linked to your email address. They then sell that profile to Google who correlates it with their know users and sells the data to advertisers on YouTube.

Not even that hard to correlate if you signed up for Discord with a GMail address.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Did they store their wallets on ephemeral EC2 storage again?