Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

A unicorn isn't going to be successful moving to loving Omaha of all places simply because it's cheaper - their employees expect the same sorts of social protections that they enjoy in current technological hubs. This came up a few years ago when Toyota moved a major facility from California to Texas.

The only people making the extreme claims of "mad max hellholes" are folks like you, not me. I said it makes a difference, not that they were complete shitholes.

In any case, the average tech worker, which tends to be male and libertarian or some brand of squishy liberal, shouldn't feel totally out of place in Nashville or Atlanta or wherever. It's not like they're having to live in some Klansman-ridden hellhole in east Texas or something. The only things stopping many of them are the lovely weather (fair enough, tbh) and a false belief that these places are cultural wastelands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Munkeymon posted:

It's the first time someone's held a non-funhouse mirror up to their worklives?

Fwiw, most techie friends of mine love that show, and one fits the smug ubermensch libertarian techie stereotype to a tee (he has only recently conceded that the unicorns with no non-VC cashflow might be in trouble but refuses to believe there's an app bubble).

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I can't wait until 80's nostalgia passes so we can get to 90's nostalgia because that shits gonna get loving weird. We're already starting to see shades of it in some places but it's not quite omnipresent yet.

People have been talking about a supposed cartoon golden age in the 90s for years now, and Vaporwave's aesthetic is basically late 80s/ early 90s pop culture on speed. I'd say it's well underway.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Ahahaha there's no way in hell congress will ever mandate 100% driverless cars by banning manual vehicles or even just sunsetting their manufacture. People in this country lost their loving poo poo over the government doing the same thing with incandescent light bulbs for fucks sake.

Car culture is an integral part of American culture and you'll see blood in the streets before the government literally takes away the right for people to manually drive their old cars and trucks.

Petulant dittoheads lost their poo poo, which they do every time a Democrat in power does a thing.

You're right about the second part, though. I can't imagine even the snootiest urban left coast politician daring to deprive middle Americans of their pickups or muscle cars.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Maybe part of the problem is that people who pick their degrees (not necessarily careers) purely for the money tend to be jerks about it? “Can’t get a job? Shoulda majored in CS,” was a frequent refrain during the Great Recession on Reddit and probably soured a lot of us towards techies in general.

It helps that people’s views tend to gradually change after they get a real job after college and stop drinking the startup Kool-aid. One of my friends was shocked and humbled when he got his first real job and his oh-so innovative company president turned out to be an idiot when it came to managing the developers or even understanding how his product worked.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

I know a handful of poor olds on social security here in SF who don’t have smartphones either because they can’t afford them or their vision is too lovely to use them and thus they rely on traditional taxis to get places in emergencies. Those statistics don’t surprise me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

I can’t count the number of times that I’ve heard global warming handwaved away by stemlords who say that once it needs to be done badly enough, a Great Mind will come forward and invent A Thing and we’ll all be saved and continue on with business as usual. This probably explains Musk’s huge fanbase.