Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Brannock posted:

What I'm curious about is the knock-on effect all these pending collapses will have on cities like Seattle and San Francisco where the prices are exploding out of control thanks to all the techies concentrating there.

prices are still going to be out of control - young people and wealthy people are returning to cities at record rates. san francisco will be expensive but probably not as ludicrously so, and less obnoxious in general if the tech bubble completely collapses. the only thing pushing san francisco prices to the most expensive in the country is the concentration of software companies, and if the allure of san francisco wears off or if there's no particular advantage to being square in the middle of the hottest (but not only!) tech hub then more companies are going to take a long look at paying much lower wages to attract workers to perfectly livable but less prestigious cities

i see a lot of the software industry in atlanta and the biggest advantage here is that you can pay excellent coders less than six figures and their money goes a long way because the cost of living is a lot cheaper - especially older employees who don't want 24/7 urban amenities or the most bleeding edge cultural scene but rather a nice big house in a good school district for less than a half million. honestly one thing that's missing from a lot of people's perspectives on san francisco or seattle's downtown tech hubs and insane rents is that it's mostly a young adult's game, and as this cohort ages if they keep a foothold in the industry their values will shift as well. if you want to have a family and you don't make it into upper management you really can't compete with $5k rents for a multiple bedroom apartment

one other small aspect is chauvinism, there's a lot of folks who think that places like omaha or raleigh-durham might as well be a dung-smoked yurt at the end of the earth and frankly i'm fine with those people confining themselves to the most expensive cities

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Solkanar512 posted:

That's pretty easy to say if you're not LGBT or a woman who might need an abortion at some point in their lives. The local and state laws also tend to be much more pro labor than the places you speak of.

see? chauvinism. not everywhere between the coasts is a hellhole but if that's what you want to believe friend go for it

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Solkanar512 posted:

So you're telling me that Omaha and Raleigh-Durham offer the same or better access to women's healthcare and have better legal infrastructure in place to prevent people from being fired from their jobs simply for being LBGT than San Francisco and Seattle.

And next time don't be so loving lazy in your response.

i'm sure the LGBT communities of omaha, raleigh-durham, and other red state cities appreciate your support

meanwhile, back in reality, there's lots of reasons for companies to establish branch offices in cities with a lower cost of living and we'll probably see more of that once the market cools off a little bit and some of the shine wears off the bay area

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

go3 posted:

what does any of this have to do with the OP

i pointed out that one of the reasons west coast tech hubs are so expensive compared to other tech hubs is a mistaken, arrogant belief that these costly places are somehow unique in terms of cultural amenities or quality of life. a goon then came along and confirmed this accusation of bigotry, because goons can't read opinions without disagreeing with them. hence an argument about whether life is worth living away from the coasts

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Morroque posted:

Why do investors keep believing that social media is somehow profitable?

Serious question, because I just can't figure it out. What exactly is it that is preventing these capitalists from realizing that advertising as a business model is utterly and completely doomed?

http://idlewords.com/talks/internet_with_a_human_face.htm

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Konstantin posted:

Things like YouTube Red show how far advertising has fallen as a revenue source. I'm not in the field, but offering users the chance to pay to opt out of ads seems like it would really reduce the value of your advertising. I think "people who are willing and able to pay for a premium, recurring online service" are a group that almost every advertiser wants to reach, and buying advertising that specifically excludes that group sounds like a bad idea.

it's better to allow people to pay to opt out of advertising when even my mom knows what an adblocker is and how to install one

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yelp / Eat24 worker fired for posting on the internet about literally starving to death while working for food company.

we were posting about this in the other techbro thread, she's starving because she didnt want to/couldn't find a roommate and ended up paying more than her monthly income on rent, bills, and transportation alone. thats not really yelp's fault, low wages is one thing but your employer isn't to blame if you legally commit to paying 80% of your wages on rent

i started off sympathetic to her plight but ended up being "drat lady you're 25 and you're still making mistakes of this caliber? nobody's responsible for feeding you but you, step it up"

moving these jobs to a place with a lower cost of living is absolutely the correct thing to do

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

1. Yelp heavily implied that the low wage position was basically a "trial period" after which she would earn at least a living wage in another position

source?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

2. Yelp is absolutely responsible to maintain a living wage wherever they're hiring. The consequences of this should be obvious, the simplest one being that turnover is expensive and stories like this tend to cost the shareholders a lot more than another $2/hour for their low wage employees.

it's not clear that yelp isn't paying a living wage given that in this example the author admits to extremely unsustainable financial decsions which she alone is responsible for

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

3. $1250 is still way, way, way under the market price for living anywhere in SF, and most people with roommates pay close to that if not more.

it's about market price in the area she's living in, and it's normal for people in her position to have roommates. when i was her age, earning about what she earned, and paying about what she paid in rent, i had roommates. you can't live on your own, there has been no point in american history where childless twentysomethings earning minimal wages have been able to rent in cities by themselves

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DrNutt posted:

Companies have no responsibility to provide a living wage. I'm sorry, it looks like you aren't living in a micro apartment with seven other roommates, oh, and it says here you have a fridge and a TV? Looks like the only factor in your situation was your poor financial decision making, friend!

even if she had one other roommate, which is extremely normal for a childless person fresh out of college in an entry level job, she'd have an extra $600 a month for food

i know blaming employers is really in vogue but at a certain point we have to admit that people are also responsible for appropriate levels of spending and budgeting. like i said i was in this lady's same financial situation and i said "hey i can't afford to eat unless i find a roommate" so i found a roommate and was able to afford food. that's not victim blaming, that's just called making reasonable and rational decisions

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
honestly getting a $12/hr job at a major company fresh out of college with a liberal arts degree is pretty good so long as you don't screw up by doing something like trying to live in the most expensive metro area in the nation without a roommate

unfortunately instead of sticking it out or getting a second weekend job or something she wrote a public complaint letter and got fired for her trouble. whoops!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

wateroverfire posted:

I mean, what the company does is gives cooks access to a platform that gives them exposure they couldn't otherwise get and allows them to turn their skills (cooking, hospitality) into money without having to work for a restaurant or caterer or etc.

yes, and this is illegal

"what the company does is give access to peer to peer transportation networks which develop emergently and allow individuals to contract between each other to transport small, anonymous parcels across state lines. this empowers small scale freight drivers to leverage their motor vehicles and skills at discreet transportation of shrinkwrapped packages. i dont understand why you hate capitalism"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
if josephine is really all about connecting communities through home cooked meals and introducing neighbors to each other why do they have to take a ten percent cut and have a business development staff

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

wateroverfire posted:

A combination of "It costs money to run this service" and "we like getting paid" and "even non-profits have business development staff because this thing is not going to build itself out", I would guess.

so you admit it's not a non-profit that encourages people to do questionably legal things, it's a business that encourages people to do explicitly illegal things

wateroverfire posted:

Josephine is literally working with regulators and lawmakers to help enable safe and legal cottage production of hot meals. Stop being goony goons and making GBS threads all over something because it's a startup and capitalism exists.

there's already a process for cottage production of hot meals. josephine is just setting itself up as an unnecessary rent seeking middleman at the potential cost of public health by adding another layer of oversight between food safety and the consumer. stop being a goony goon and sucking an unethical startup's dick because government exists

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 8, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

rscott posted:

If the same lackadaisical attitude is taken by whoever they're farming these inspections out to then there is a very real chance people will get sick.

oh yeah. it's pretty difficult to trace the source of a food illness, especially if the cause is improperly prepared food. this is why local health inspectors work on preventative measures like random, frequent inspections. as wateroverfire has pointed out this system itself is pretty flawed and doesn't catch everything which is baffling as to why he seems to think relaxing this tenuous oversight with broad police power and high stakes (they can enter your business and shut you down unilaterally) would somehow increase food safety

but they don't actually have an inspection system, they "want to empower relationships based on trust" and they require a servsafe certification which is as easy to ignore as it is to obtain

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

wateroverfire posted:

I think screening and feedback can do about as much as health inspections wrt food safety. The inspection process is deeply, deeply flawed and in the unlikely event a restaurant is inspected, it takes repeated serious violations to get an establishment shut down. Many provisions regarding employee conduct, such as food preparers not working while sick, are almost impossible to catch and are rarely enforced by restaurant management. The system mostly comes into play after someone gets sick and complaints are made - and at that point it can work the same way with home cooks.

lmao no it doesn't. when i worked in foodservice every restaurant i worked at was inspected randomly every 6 months or so (random inspections often meaning the inspector just walks the gently caress in the back door at 1:30 and starts rummaging through the coolers) and they had the power to shut you down immediately for a 1-3 day period if sufficient critical or cumulative violations took place, and you'd get to reopen if you passed a follow up inspection AFTER the public was notified that you had failed an inspection

either you live in a jurisdiction that doesn't give a poo poo about food safety or you're 100% talking out of your rear end in a top hat

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

wateroverfire posted:

Nah not really.

you're completely full of poo poo bro

lying about familiarity with the restaurant inspection process is one of the more pathetic things i've seen people lie about to win an arugment

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

wateroverfire posted:

It was a nice anecdote you posted but still nah.

why would you lie about food safety inspections to win an internet argument? what do you have to gain from that and, when it's obvious that you're lying, why double down and discredit yourself? are you just stubborn?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

tbh, in oklahoma city the inspections of our kitchen was scheduled and not random, and even then we could barely pass (pizza hut)

once our make table's refridgeration broke down because of a heat wave and our manager put dry ice in the bottom to keep the ingredients fresh, but it didn't work, and my brother reached into one of the bins to find maggots squirming on his hands. i walked off because i refused to deliver pizzas to people that could poison them, and my manager lectured me about how irresponsible i was the next time i saw him. i didn't report him to the health inspector and i really regret it

and i'm fully acknowledging that restaurant inspections aren't some perfect and flawless system. like i said wateroverfire i've worked in restaurants for a decade i've seen what they're like. employee stashes a drink in the ice machine, that's a five point ding. thawing fish in the hand washing sink, that's a major ding

replacing this with an even looser system would not in any way improve food safety unless you sincerely believe that the hand of the market corrects everything, except with a bunch of anonymous five star ratings replacing a hundred point checklist that by law must be prominently displayed and is published by the health department

yes, restaurants can acutely get disgusting because of apathetic employees and bad management. now imagine what happens if the health inspector is guaranteed to never show up

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 8, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

no i agree with you, i think food safety is really important. there are places though where they don't take it as seriously as they should though. in any case, this start-up is a public threat and should be shut down post-haste

sorry i was quoting you but really i was responding to the dishonest guy

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the exchange of food for money is a good line to determine commercial vs. communal activity, in such a way that you can legislate wildcat restaurants without making normal human behavior such as home cooking or food sharing illegal

if josephine was just an app that connected people who wanted to cook for strangers with hungry strangers then the health department has less incentive to care because you could already do the same thing with craigslist or to a more secretive extent with a supper club or lots of old fashioned irl relationships like having your older neighbor over for dinner

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

wateroverfire posted:

I don't think you made the point you thought you did.

no, he's right. theres a difference of scale and intent here, as well as liability. or are you going to lie about your familiarity with those things too?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

wateroverfire posted:

Dude, while I would never say an argument should be judged on its tone, tone does have a great effect on whether someone wants to engage with you or not.

i frankly don't care if you like my tone or not given that you've been caught out lying about your firsthand experience with regulations as a vague anecdotal ploy to talk about why food safety inspections aren't necessary

really i'm just performing a market function itt alerting other consumers of your posts that they cause illness

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

silence_kit posted:

I sincerely believe that some posters in this thread would defend to the death even the most stupid, pointless, and wasteful government regulation if it gave them an opportunity to rag on a startup company.

This thread has moved beyond "make fun of stupid and bad ideas and other dumb stuff in startup companies" and "chastise startup companies for producing/having sociologically dangerous ideas/effects". It is currently the "make lazy kneejerk criticisms of startup companies" thread.

on the other hand, encouraging people to circumvent local/state regulations so they can turn a profit and you can take a cut while arguing that you don't bear any liability is unethical

check it out, here's my new app that teaches kids math! it's called Numbr and how it works is that you pool together your pocket change with your friends (encouraging emergent social relationships and positive community network linking) and then everyone guesses a Numbr (pat. pending) and whoever gets closest wins all the money, minus a 10% fee for overhead. in this way we empower children to learn about salesmanship, probability, and money management

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

crusader_complex posted:

Haha I was just going to see how the thread was going. Its bunch of arguments about the structural integrity of swingsets, and how many people get food poisoned from church bakesales. And repeatedly drawing the conclusion that all points of view are at hyperbolic opposites.

Not trying to dis anyone who has jumped in, I'm just slowly trying to figure out what D&D "is".

well with reading comprehension like that you should crack the case in no time, gumshoe

the main argument people are making itt is that trying to sidestep regulation by encouraging your end user to profit from petty illegal activity while sending you a cut does not generate sufficient societal good to be worth tolerating or defending

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Liquid Communism posted:

Ag labor is, in great part, lovely dangerous work that doesn't pay all that well. I live out in the middle of flyover country, just corn and soybeans far as the eye can see, and every farmer I know is constantly bitching about how much debt they have to take on just to stay in business, and that's with relying on family labor for everything humanly possible. It's why the family farm is a thing of the past, they just can't compete with the yields that the big operators get driving down food prices.

Which is, I note, good for pretty much everyone else in society.

yeah. i've worked construction, i've worked foodservice, i once spent a summer doing research that involved me hanging out at truck stops all day in the southern heat. my first job ever was washing poo poo stained sheets in a hospice, people's literal death shits

by far the worst jobs i've ever had are ag labor. working on farms loving sucks

Brannock posted:

Good in what way? Why is cheaper better? Why sprint as fast as possible towards the bottom? For a century we went for As Cheap and As Many As Possible and it got us a planet of over seven billion people and a looming civilization-destroying ecological crisis. Why not As Quality As Possible?

unless we give away this High Quality Food for free, people being able to afford food is a good thing

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tuxedo Gin posted:

And, yet, young people being 63% less likely to have a credit card isn't age discrimination?

gently caress old people protectionism.

you can get a credit rating without a credit card

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Won't help much; if you're a young person in America your income is probably complete rear end and you aren't paying your student debts due to not being able to afford to. Young people frequently have awful debt to income ratios which wrecks your credit score.

yeah but if you're not spending money at all then how can you build a credit score

renting an apartment and having bills in your name builds credit. your hypothetical twentysomething with no income and student loan debt isn't going to be helped much anyway by assessing their financial solvency via instagram posts

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

Can't you... just make it yourself with some eggs and a whisk?

Do people think mayonnaise is some kind of complicated industrial byproduct?

the point is not to posses homemade mayo

the point is to engage in a cultural exchange where a commodity is a token of status. when you buy artisan, local mayo you are buying authenticity and a homespun fantasy of community and neighborhood vitality

this is why people buy soylent despite it being identical to cheaper brands of instant food shakes for infants or medical patients. soylent is powdered food slurry for the efficient creator on the go who needs to optimize every moment of their waking time in the pursuit of leveraging maximum effort and squeezing every drop of productivity out of one's day

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Rents across the nation have been going up because fewer people are buying, actually; it's a common problem. There isn't always enough quality housing available and to make it worse rent is going up while wages aren't. So not only do you have a shortage of people buying houses you have a shortage of people renting housing out and people that can't afford to rent places by themselves.

rents have been going up in cities and suburbs because that's where the jobs are and thats where people want to live. rents are bottoming out in rural areas

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ShadowHawk posted:

People emigrating from the state and putting housing inventory on the market will help lower prices, yes. A generation ago when it happened in cities we called it "white flight" and housing prices fell through the floor, allowing poor people to move in.

Supply and demand are real things in the housing market.

you can't really compare white flight to anything currently happening in the housing market. prices didn't fall because white people started moving out, prices fell and white people started moving out because black people started moving in. there was a massive financial penalty to owning a house in a 'black neighborhood' such that even reasonably unracist white homeowners would respond to this market pressure by selling, which was exploited by real estate agents who would sell a black family a house in a white neighborhood then go around telling all the whites and offering to buy their homes before the price fell further - also known as blockbusting. we really don't have that same level of racial panic anymore (except with school districts)

also at the time there was an enormous boom in cheap housing that sustained itself in many places for decades until recently when we hit an upper limit on suburbanization - not available land but really you can only cram so many people onto major arterials such as interstates and the marginal cost of adding more road capacity is unsustainable. plus that and the rapid development of far flung suburbs lead to political fragmentation that precludes regional development of transit in the same manner as roadways and blah blah blah blah

anyway its complicated

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 20, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Coolness Averted posted:

a cool and reasonable response to gay/trans/brown people saying "I'd rather not be in a state that actively denies me civil rights/is cool with me getting murdered"

yeah i guess all those LGBT people who choose to live in red states must just be dumb as hell then because they dont behave like you think they should

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
a million LGBT americans: fake straight brogressives, actually, according to goons

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hobnob posted:

I thought it was the other way around at that point, Hipsters then were the "real" thing, it was the people emulating them in the 60s that were called Hippies because they weren't authentic enough to be Hipsters.

the word means similar things, except there never were enough hipsters of the beatnik era to attract more widespread disdain. hippies were everywhere in the 60's so they were a more visible target and more broadly disliked for doing largely the same things just in a cruder, mass culture manner. this trend continues and it's why everyone hates hipsters nowadays although nobody can really determine what a hipster is beyond twentysomething probably white kid

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Byolante posted:

You are acting like 20-something white guys aren't automatically something worth scorning

you're forgetting white women are also really bad

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i've used uber to get home safely after a night of drinking and it is more convenient. largely because you get feedback as to when/where your vehicle will show up. i've sat at bars for an hour before getting drunker, after deciding to leave, because a traditional cab just might not ever show up

that being said though i live in an urban area with a lot of transportation options - i can even walk home from the bar i hang out at most frequently. i'd bet most americans live in places where the only choice is to drive or be driven, and in those places there probably isn't an uber always just around the corner

CommieGIR posted:

Why even do this? She's largely dead in the water, and the scientific community has lambasted her already.

it could be that she's not a scammer necessarily, she really believes in her company and product and she's just inept and desperate

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 1, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Given the nature and amount of data they gather, that is absolutely astounding.

one of our clients once was (major national bank you've definitely heard of and probably have an account with) and their senior VPs in the division we were contracting with did their departmental analysis on an unencrypted excel file that they just emailed to each other

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ocrumsprug posted:

It is hard to understate how much room there is to roll out analytics to the world, coupled with how little of it will ever be rolled out due to cost and Excel-interia.

yup

if you're wondering how and why microsoft is still as profitable as apple despite apple dominating the consumer gadget market and microsoft releasing increasingly obnoxious operating systems and little else, it's because microsoft captured like 95% of the white collar office software market and it's extremely difficult to dislodge that

you can swap iphone for android pretty easy. sherry from marketing will keep an iron grip on Outlook until she retires

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
consistently it's the largest organizations we work with that have the most problems and the most hosed up god awful procedures and idiotic trouble spots that could easily be avoided, because small fish are either competent or they go out of business

another one of our clients is a tiny non-profit and they have the most on point IT/Server team, like whenever a ticket comes in from them you know they've found a bug or something

it's not all doom though, i've worked with (large firm you've probably heard of, especially if you have a white collar career) and their development team might have been literal wizards (not in the virgin sense) but by and large the larger a company is the more they can tolerate or even encourage incompetence and inefficiency in their ranks

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

cowofwar posted:

Excel persists because the people at top want the summaries in excel format and then they want data as well so they can play around with it for some reason and so after the painful back and forths the data guys just say gently caress it and work in excel.

imo it's because excel hits that sweet spot of being not too complicated to use and not too simple as to be useless, so it's great for the hands on middle manager type who has some data knowledge and can bang out a formula or two but starts hissing like a vampire when they have to write anything as complicated as markup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

hobbesmaster posted:

Sears was suicide by libertarianism though.

the randroid dismantling sears is hilarious but what really killed sears is the same thing that's killing most other department stores, nobody under age 40 shops at department stores anymore since it's easier to buy individual things when you want them off the internet rather than buying multiple things you want all in one efficient shopping trip

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

here's sears.txt on how exactly they hosed up before libertarian lord of the flies happened

this isn't true though, sears always had online shopping. they were just wedded to a brick and mortar business model that emphasized in-store pickup. you can't really blame sears for not radically changing tack and becoming an online only entity like amazon or really tripling down on logistics like wal mart. most big american retail chains are in decline for reasons very similar to sears - failure to capture a young demographic and the general decline of in-person shopping

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 15, 2016