Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Feinne posted:

Okay legit question for enraged_camel or anyone else who is feeling it as a 'thing SpaceX will do that is good' what is the point of going to Mars beyond what NASA is already doing there?

I'm gonna die sometime and dying on Mars is cooler than being discovered in my apartment weeks after I die.

That's literally the only reason I can think of for why SpaceX turning Mars into Neuromancer is better than science bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Argas posted:

Yeah but nobody would want to buy an ugly moon/mars rover.

That's where you're wrong, I'd love the moon rover.

Only the one that is currently on the moon though. That one has historical value and is just there for the taking.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Tarezax posted:

doesn't this also work with a picture of your face

All automatic face ID things confuse me and a lot of my other family members and other random Asian celebrities, I'm guessing because they weren't trained on a lot of Asian people

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

luxury handset posted:

you can train raptors to kill drones apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HifO-ebmE1s

dunno how safe this is for the bird

Don't some birds of prey also attack drones anyway since they're small flying things, much like their natural prey?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Hey isn't there an iPhone sitting in the oval office right now?

Cool cool cool

There's no way that iPhone is new enough to have Facetime on it, the Tweeter in Chief is famously pretty technophobic when it comes to actually upgrading technology other than Twitter.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Moatman posted:

Nothing says Facebook like... paying kids to give you root access to their phones so you can spy on them??? :wtc: https://techcrunch.com/2019/01/29/facebook-project-atlas/

Man, all those intelligence organizations around the world were spying on me for free, and here Facebook is paying me for that privilege.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

suck my woke dick posted:

In other news, I've got a bridge to sell to you.

How much can I invest in your bridge and what's the return on investment looking like? Is there an app?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Who can we bring in to make "a subway but worse" so we can finally get a subway system like Seoul in the US? Hell, I'll take Tokyo's since it would still be a quantum leap ahead of basically any subway I've seen in the States.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Weatherman posted:

Look at that, it didn't take more than what, an hour or so?

Being able to pick and choose how to design a city around a metro because 99.4% of it was burned to the ground via continuous bombing seems like an exceptional circumstance that can't apply to most US cities.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Morbus posted:

Gas is cheap and this whole state's a tinderbox lets get crackin

You make interesting points, where is your GoFundMe for this idea?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I actually liked Boston's mass transit system when it works but when I lived there it wasn't 24 hours so I couldn't stumble onto the train at 3am and then get home, while in Seoul I totally could do that when visiting friends. That's my major gripe with most American mass transit, but it is getting better.

But then Seoul also was built in the ashes of the city after it was destroyed in the war and the metro doubled as mass bunker system.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

VideoGameVet posted:

Recruitment software thought this would be a good job for me.

Your long years working in software and game development has prepared you for the high stress world of defusing bombs, obviously.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
So I don't know if this got any coverage in the US, but it feels right for this thread. Last month, the Chinese billionaires Jack Ma and Richard Liu not only defended the 12 hour work days, but said it was a blessing that you have the opportunity to work that long. These comments came after protests online this March in China against the so-called "996" shift, or working from 9 AM to 9 PM 6 days a week, oftentimes working much longer than that. While this is the norm in Chinese IT jobs, it is blatantly illegal in China, as according to Chinese law you can only work maximum of 44 hours a week. Of course the CPC has never let a little laws get in the way of profit so there are no signs that any company will actually change to have 44 hour work weeks as far as I can tell.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Missionary Positron posted:

Considering how Artifact turned out, it's probably for the best that Valve stays out of game development

I mean the game was fine, the problem was basically everything not directly related to gameplay. A shame since I had some fun with it; not enough to pay out the rear end but if it were f2p like hearthstone or if my purchase gave me more poo poo I wouldn't be so annoyed at it.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

Because people started saying things like all technology in school is a scam and that rich people must be right to have their private schools keep out tech. This is thread to talk about such thing, surely.

As to rest of your post, you seem to gross overestimate how good schools are outside your country, it is a typical American thing to self-flagellate. Please be assured there is much underfunding, stealing of funds by crooked officials, and more outside of your country - we are hardly all rich and we have quite plenty of skin-stealing politicans who preach and enact austerity. There does not appear to be much of anything in your complaints that is unfamiliar to corporate and educational IT support in other countries, all useful things in education do still cost money and time. Be aware my main work is to handle IT support including computing equipment hardware, and there is plenty of damage to work over. It is also not as if the rest of the school's facility is impervious to maintenence and replacement costs.

That is already a useful tool, if we make pretense that this was true.

I live in France.

Care to say what that would be? Ability to operate computer without being online, oho? The way this is being discussed could be used to block any aspect of schooling as good.

I'm starting to think you are some kind of malfunctioning AI right now because you keep posting the same thing over and over and ignoring what everyone else says.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Computer viking posted:

It's still kind of hard to actually accept how some districts are literally on par with third-world countries

Hey, I resent that remark, I went to school in an actual third world country for a bit and it had laminated student ID cards, and while I'm pretty sure the textbook was from before the PRI took over the building wasn't falling apart. That's way better than some of the schools I went to in the US.

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 24, 2019

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't Libra the name of the currency of the Roman Empire?

Funny way to write sesterius, denarius and aureus.

Libra is just Latin for a measure of weight so it was used as a name of currency because some places you're just measuring the gold/silver/bronze in those coins and not really using the coins themselves.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Seventeenth‐century England had things figured out when they made a rule against perpetuities.

But then their corporation fell dick first into India and took over everything so I dont think it's a good example for anything.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

Hatreon, the nazi patreon.

I thought this was a clever joke but that was a real loving thing :psyduck:? I'm not surprised there was a Nazi patreon but that name is literally the most edgelord 12 year old name I've ever seen.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

Yup. Many states have a separate tipped minimum wage that is as low as $2.13 an hour. Employers can make up the difference between that and the federal minimum wage out of the employee's tips, only paying out more than the tipped minimum if the employee doesn't make enough in tips to put them above the federal minimum.

As someone who worked for tips before, it's a super dick move to not tip because of how the system is set up but the entire system is loving disgusting and i really wish that you didn't need to tip to ensure the servers/delivery people got a livable wage.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

ryonguy posted:

Hmm. I wonder if you CC tip 10% which makes you look like a stingy dick but not ignoring it completely which would set off alarms then actually give the delivery person the cash tip you could avoid this.

Just put in a note saying you tip in cash, and then tip well in cash. Boss doesn't get anything from that.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
It's not in the headline, but not taking the weight of tractors into account in a rural region is pretty :lol: worthy. You'd think you'd want to conduct some kind of survey to see what kind of traffic goes over the road but gotta chase that disruption dream.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Konstantin posted:

If it weren't for restrictive zoning laws and lack of space they would probably just build housing on site for them. Why even leave at all?

Why stop there, why not give them a benefit in the form of access to a special store that you can buy things at using company issued credit? Just have the entire town revolve around the company I bet that's never been tried before

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Richard Nixon just had an enemies list, but at least he tried to be as subtle as he was able to be regarding that. Which, granted, isn't subtle at all but its existence didn't come out until the Watergate hearings.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Good thing FTL is physically impossible! :v:

Move fast and break the laws of physics

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Give them your backyard and a new startup will install a tiny house and rent it out

I wonder what the expected lifetime of a tiny home is? And I wonder how saleable your house is, with a rental unit in the back yard that the buyer does not control in any way?

I always wanted to be Hong Kong Microapartment slum lord, this is as close as I'll get in this country

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

All of those things sound extremely risky and interconnected to me, to be honest. :shrug:

In other words:

Alibaba alone probably makes them more money than a third world city, it is insanely profitable and popular in China.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Unoriginal Name posted:

They dont regulate their fake people or fake news so it's not a huge stretch to imagine they could have a fake currency as well

They also didn't regulate the other fake currencies floating around so really, this is more of an outlier if you're looking at it from a tech bro perspective.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I will never complain about my commute again, Jesus I thought my half hour commute was excessive.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

No you can't. This is literally the complete opposite application that even block chain purists would say it's useful for.

You're a mega national corporation. You are the trusted authority. You can't decentralize food safety! You will regret this!

FREE

MARKET

SOLUTIONS

who needs regulations just crowdsource it to the big companies what's the worst that can happen

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

packetmantis posted:

Just lol if you have any data worth stealing. I'm a completely worthless human being :smuggo:

I've had my data stolen in so many leaks that at this point I don't even know what else they can grab from me that they already didn't have.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I liked getting a letter that my data was stolen due to a breach of the DOD.

Between that and Experian I'm pretty sure the only thing that has saved me is the freeze on my credit.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

According to statistics from the early 2010s, the average American moves 3 times before 18, 6 times between 18 and 45, and 3 more times between 45 and death. The majority of these moves stay in the same area, often same city. Except for big relatively moves like for campus residence/college apartments, and for retirement communities/nursing homes.

I'm mad jealous of anyone who moved only three times before they were 18, by that point I think I had lived in 6 different places from Maui to Vermont. As an adult I'm active duty military so moving constantly is all my fault but I have never known an actual hometown like other people.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

MickeyFinn posted:

LOL at 30-year plans. I doubt anyone at Xerox was thinking "sell the company to Fujifilm in 2019" in 1989. Who buys this stuff?

Investors and people who are desperately optimistic.

So investors.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

VideoGameVet posted:

As to walking/cycling? Many schools discourage it (or in some bizarre cases, prohibit it).

Around 2001-ish, I lived in a town home near Chula Vista where the local housing association banned kids from riding bikes after a bunch of old people complained about it, and after that I couldn't ride my bike to school for very obvious reasons. I feel like this isn't a unique experience.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Harik posted:

How egged were their houses that year?

The curfew that was enacted after many hundreds of eggs flew in the direction of very specific houses had nothing to do with just me, I assure you.

Edit: for sure though it was fun seeing old people constantly ban poo poo for all the kids in the neighborhood. By the time I moved away to Vermont a few years later, kids were banned from riding scooters and skateboards as well, and playing street soccer. Basically if it involved kids gathering together for any reason and it slightly inconvenienced an old guy for half a second, it got banned.

But somehow it was our fault we only stayed inside and played video games.

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 16, 2019

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

The dumb font makes it look like CYBERTRVKK

That's literally a rejected Warhammer 40k Ork idea. They should paint it red and give it spikey bitz while they're at it

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
We should convince SoftBank that Lowtax's spine is a new tech startup.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

UnknownTarget posted:

LinkedIn Summary:

"A “landmark” study run by a federal body confirms that facial recognition technology wrongly identifies people of color more than white people, reports The Washington Post. With Asians and African Americans up to 100 times more likely to be misidentified than white men, the findings call into question a system more and more in use by U.S. law enforcement. The study, which showed that women were more falsely identified than men and middle-aged white men benefited from the highest accuracy rates, “fundamentally shakes one of American law enforcement’s fastest-growing tools,” says the Post."

https://news.yahoo.com/massive-errors-found-facial-recognition-tech-us-study-215334634.html

This is what happens when your developers are mostly white middle aged dudes who test the software on themselves and their friends.

I can still unlock my sister's phone with my face because we both are Asian and that makes us identical according to Apple, how is anyone surprised by this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Mister Facetious posted:

According to SB Nation's Breaking Madden series, they were able to prove post-2000's Madden still used code from the SNES era.

IIRC there was a guy here on the forums who still gets royalty checks from EA because they keep using some code he wrote for Madden back in the 90s.