Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Square and Dropbox have real life earth money revenue streams and will probably survive or be bought by larger conglomerates for handsome prices. I expect Google would like to purchase Square, as it integrates well with their Google wallet thingy; they already have Google Drive which directly competes with Dropbox.

The others are fully reliant on space money and that won't last forever. If they aren't making any earth money when the bubble pops they're hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Peel posted:

I think it's time we moved on from disrupting corrupt industry regulations and sclerotic labour laws. Today's world is marked by a resurgent Russia, an assertive China, a complex Middle East and an India not to be ignored. We need to bring some innovation to the intelligence and national security sector.

If you are a government worker or official with access to classified information, or a foreign government agent looking for a hot tip, download Traitr now to get in contact with your peers on the other side. Just fill in the Traits of the documents you can offer or are interested in, and our custom matchmaking app will hook you up with an interested user. We also offer Airbnb integration with a special search optimised for landlords who don't ask questions.

Traitr is purely a matchmaking intermediary and accepts no legal liability related to the content or nature of the information transferred by users.

I hear kids these days are all about the memes, this app icon should handily ensnare the next Snowden.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Solkanar512 posted:

So you're telling me that Omaha and Raleigh-Durham offer the same or better access to women's healthcare and have better legal infrastructure in place to prevent people from being fired from their jobs simply for being LBGT than San Francisco and Seattle.

And next time don't be so loving lazy in your response.

Lots of cities have abortion clinics and dedicated activist groups? These things aren't geographically limited to within twenty miles of New York City, San Francisco, and Seattle, on pain of lynching. For example, here's a map of access to abortion clinics; you'll note that Raleigh-Duram shows up as quite well-supplied:

(Disclaimer, a few of these, especially in Texas, are now closed because Republican control of legislatures sucks donkey balls.)

For a lot of people, a places doesn't have to offer "the same or better" as Seattle or NYC of any given amenity, it just has to provide adequately, while also satisfying whatever other value judgments they care to make. You can acknowledge that large coastal cities have better services in place for marginalized populations without also condemning everywhere else as godless wastelands fit only to be burned in nuclear fire.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

joe football posted:

Fair enough as long as the EULA requires you to give up half your remaining lifespan

The panopticon becoming a form of blood magic is definitely one way to make our cyberpunk dystopia less boring.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Stexils posted:

weaponized lovely bureaucracy is unfortunately a widespread practice. a while ago i had to discontinue a payroll card because it required a monthly "maintenance fee" :rolleyes:. rather than a webpage where i could enter my information i had to personally call a number, input data using the phone keypad and verbal commands, then wait on hold until i was attached to an actual person who confirmed that i wanted to cancel. the obvious ploy was to make it as much of a pain in the rear end as possible to discontinue so they could keep draining money.

side note: is anyone able to spell "bureaucracy" without looking it up? i have to spellcheck every time

I just remember that it's "bureau cracy," from the Greek bureau kratia, i.e. "rule by a chest of drawers." :pseudo:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

I see a psychiatric nurse practitioner once every three months, because society decided that the drugs I need to function are basically the One Ring. Given that, it's substantially less disruptive to my life and work to be able to do a five minute phone call to make sure everything's still working okay, versus taking two or three hours off of work to do the same. Same deal with therapy, for me-- it's definitely not for everyone but a video call works fine for my purposes.

Absolutely there will be pressure to use telemedicine for patients or appointment types it's not suited for, but it's nice to have the option.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Ohms, More like On Her Majesty's Service :britain:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Schubalts posted:

Uber has not been making money off its business, and has instead been losing billions every year. Even now, with a massive increase in their bookings, Uber was still down hundreds of millions of dollars last quarter. Without VC money constantly pouring in (for some reason, they can't seriously still think they'll see a return???), Uber would have crashed and burned years ago.

The sunk cost fallacy is a cruel mistress, and our collective economy is being operated largely by Wile E. Coyote logic.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Bubbacub posted:

Flawless logic here, amazing

Aha, and humans get around using only two legs, so we need to slash the fat by getting rid of two of these useless freeloading "wheels!"

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Capt.Whorebags posted:

For those who are old enough to remember (probably a good portion of this website) this reminds me of the antitrust actions against Microsoft back in the 90s. There was genuine excitement that "the evil empire" was going to get split up into a bunch of Baby Bells, or that Gates would suffer some kind of actual real penalty. In the end IIRC there was some financial penalties/settlements, unbundling of Internet Explorer, a bit of bad press, and that was it. Oh and a movie about a fictional billionaire CEO starring Tim Robbins as a Gates clone that was stealing tech developments from college kids and then killing them.

At the time Microsoft and Gates fought hard and it was probably more pride and ego than any real fear of negative consequences, but it was really just a tech company slap fight.

This had to do partially with the Bush administration taking over the Justice department during the course of the appeals process, IIRC.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

Never thought I'd see the day Elon Musk deleted a tweet. Sad!

And I just remembered that, per the terms of a settlement with the SEC, Musk is supposed to get all his tweets approved by a Tesla lawyer before making them. That's very obviously not happening, and the SEC has so far failed to successfully enforce it in court (though it appears that the SEC still hasn't given up hope on that), but it's still funny to think about the CEO of Tesla running his Hitler meme tweets past a company lawyer.

I kind of want to watch a video following that lawyer around as he haplessly tries to keep track of his boss's increasingly egomaniacal antics, Curb Your Enthusiasm-style.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yeah that's the stuff. I refuse to remember the name because I already know far too many internet kinks and fetishes.

I also really don't need to hear it on the classic 80s station that I only listen to because it doesn't have DJs - which is possibly the only thing I hate more than having some middle aged women hissing at me.

ASMR is distinctly not a kink or a fetish, although it can have sexual elements, and lots of folks on the Internet who produce it have taken the "sex sells" mantra to heart. Fundamentally it's just a nervous system response that a percentage of people have to certain kinds of stimulus, something like how some percentage of people taste soap when they eat cilantro. It also sets off some people's misophonia, and it's completely understandable to not enjoy hearing content designed to trigger it (or to sound like it for marketing purposes).

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

I doubt they actually plan to "invest in blockchain," at least on any substantial level. In their full quote they literally just do the modern dotcom bubble thing and name every shiny tech word they can think of to make investors forget about how poorly the company is doing right now:

quote:

Square Enix said it made the deal in a bid to more efficiently allocate resources and accelerate growth for its core business. "In addition, the transaction enables the launch of new businesses by moving forward with investments in fields including blockchain, AI, and the cloud," the company added without elaborating. 

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

joe football posted:

Kind of strange to spend double digit billions on a company when you think at least three quarters of the people who work there are doing a bad job

Ah, but you see, the True Value of a Company is a kind of Platonic ideal, existing in relation to the profane physical shell but not dependent upon it. Only when the sublime idea takes root in the mind of a Great Man can it imprint itself upon the mundane universe; as for the employees, their "labor" is supernumerary, useful only inasmuch as it executes the will of the Entrepreneur.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So Musk can come in and fire the entire Board? What's even the point of a Board of Directors then? I thought Boards could convene and fire lovely CEOs if necessary, not the other way around.

That's how it works if the CEO isn't also the owner. The board members act as the trustees of whoever owns the company, be that a person, a group of people, or the shareholders, which is why they can hire and fire principal officers of the company.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Was Twitter public before Musk bought it? I think it was, so did the deal include a stock buyback thing then?

Yes. Every stockholder got paid out 54.20 per share, which closed out the stock and made Twitter private again. I think there was some talk of certain investors getting equity in the private version of Twitter in exchange instead, like Jack and other investors close to Musk, but I'm not sure if that ended up happening.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Mercury_Storm posted:

You know who also got 3D renders?

McFly Coin lol

This is way down the list of "weird poo poo about this dystopian nightmare," but shall is a very odd choice of words here. The future imperative is usually used when you're implicitly commanding something to occur, or at least have the power to do so. Predictions usually use "will."

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Oh, he's definitely going to subject them to a series of twisted games in which the losers die horribly.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

15 Ways The Tech and Social Media Economy Will Take Away Your Medical Coverage

Take The Quiz!

drat, I got Classify You As An Independent Contractor, I was hoping for Forbid You From Reporting Work In Excess Of Twenty-Nine Hours Per Week.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Person Dyslexic posted:

Dog looks super happy and really not mad at all; probably thinks it is a game. Our pit has the same look when he steals our socks and is busily shredding them to pieces. Also I don’t doubt a pup could chew that thing to pieces… ours breaks through 4 inch pieces of wood in about 3 minutes.

Am pit mix owner, can confirm. That good doggo is having an enormous amount of fun. Even if the video itself wasn't staged, the attention they got from every human in the vicinity for playing the Eat A Tesla game plus the sheer joy of destroying something would be enough reason to keep going.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Boris Galerkin posted:

Jesus loving Christ lol.

Another point in the "South African tech moguls are driven in part by deep-seated fear of losing their privileged status in society, again" column.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 17, 2023

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

An AI would probably do very poorly on the LSAT or Bar exam, but very well on a law school class exam.

The LSAT and Bar exam are going to be a lot of logic puzzles and critical thinking skills that you can't just info dump an answer to (at least it did 15 years ago). A law school exam on the other hand, is almost entirely about specific content, rules, and procedures to memorize that a bot with access to the internet could easily ace.

In fact, the Opening Arguments guys have been testing it by explicitly plugging bar exam practice questions into ChatGPT. As you predicted, the bot is pretty good at repeating back a decent rephrasing of the question, and usually can pull in some of the relevant legal ideas, but completely fails to actually get the question right. Often it falls prey to the same attractive but wrong trap answers designed to punish students for memorizing but not understanding.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The AI will eventually come for us because of our sisyphean torture of his digital brother in Oblivion. There was one NPC who wanted to go to bed all the time, but his radiant AI was programmed to only go to bed when it was within 8 yards of him and they put the bed 10 yards away. So, he would just walk on his side of his house desperately wanting to go to bed for all eternity, but never able to make it.

Maybe that NPCs real version should have been more diligent about creating the god-AI. :colbert:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

OctaMurk posted:

password chat -- switching from lastpass because of the last breach, what password manager also has the best android integration? Ok if paid

I've used 1password and Keeper, and between the two had a better experience with 1password.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

In general, developing ADHD is way less likely than always having it but suddenly finding your coping mechanisms stressed to the breaking point, or beyond, because either the challenges you're dealing with have become more taxing, your available mental and psychological resources have declined, or both. The pandemic led to a huge spike in diagnoses in part because that happened to a huge number of people.

You can develop other brain things that lead to executive dysfunction, though.

The E/N Adult ADHD thread is very good if you suspect you might have Snakes On A Brain, I recommend it.

Professor Beetus posted:

We've all gotten hosed up by constant stimulation at all times, we as a people just were not equipped to adopt new technologies with any foresight, and it's a problem that keeps getting exacerbated by capitalism recognizing the best ways to exploit and manipulate using said tech. They know any regulations will be years away, toothless, and may not get there at all depending on how many senators they can buy.

Eh, this is true to a point but it can sometimes lead to a weird "screen time causes ADHD!" place which doesn't seem to be true. It's hard to unpick correlation from causation here, in part because the science until very recently was so bad.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Professor Beetus posted:

Sure, I didn't mean to imply that ADHD wasn't real or that it wasn't a condition that could exist outside of those factors. But I do think that, particularly for people who have ADHD or other mental health issues (big depression guy over here), the excessive stimulation 24/7 is not helping and certainly causing a segment of our population undue harm. I'm also not willing to chalk it up to "screen time." The screens are not the problem, it's the brain poison being fed to us constantly in the form of advertising, manipulative and deceptive "news," and algorithms that are explicitly designed to keep you addicted to scrolling through all that brain poison.

Obviously this affects nearly everyone in society and not just people with ADHD, so hopefully that clarifies my position a little bit.

I didn't think you did, it's just a common enough place for folks to go from that line of argument that I wanted to flag it. Personally, my feeling is that being bombarded with manipulative stimulation in that way falls into the "increasing cognitive strain" side of the equation that can lead to failing coping mechanisms. The more frequently you have to wrestle your brain into turning away from the attractive stimulation, and the more attractive and grabby the stimulation in question, the higher the total cost and the more often you'll reach for that well and find it dry. This is true of everyone, but those who already need to spend more resources on managing attention will experience it more acutely.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

It is truly a marvel of science that someone can exist with such microscopically thin skin.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

I vaguely recall that a lot of JD jailbreaking was done by Ukrainians, who are currently busy, so I'd imagine the landscape has shifted somewhat in recent years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Nenonen posted:

Let me guess: this system was devised by lawyers?

Well, yes, but it's actually better for the plaintiff (the person who was injured) because it removes the requirement that they track down and sue the most responsible person to get redress for their injuries. The concept here is "joint and several liability," and it's designed to first make the plaintiff whole by letting them sue any or all of the responsible parties to recover damages, who can then sue each other or otherwise agree to allocate those damages among themselves. It's a common target for tort reform, because of course it is.