Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Maluco Marinero posted:

It's a cliche to say it but management/leadership is best suited to those who probably didn't go seeking it, or forced into it, they fell into it. Leadership roles without humility to defer, trust to delegate, and a commitment to self improvement through reflection is a ticking time bomb.

It's not at all surprising that wunderkinds who get told they're great never quite clear the bar to be great leaders, they're never set up for success in that regard.

I'm pretty sure at this point one of the worst things you can tell a child is that they are gifted and especially talented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

pangstrom posted:

Those juicero engineers should make a vibrator. Seems like that's a domain where startups will get a lot of press / support (esp. with female founders) and say "finally a sex toy that is durable and well designed" and then the product comes out and nobody likes it much.

Sounds more like a fidget spinner situation; if they actually come up with something interesting but don't/can't patent that poo poo ASAP, the existing manufacturers of exotic and terrifying sex toys will beat them to the market while they're still mucking around with shipping and eat their lunch.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You'd think an industrial use case would be a good way to develop a product, since Glass obviously suffered from being rushed to market with very little reason to actually use it besides novelty, and rapidly becoming associated with insufferable nerds as a result.

Seems a trend with a lot of tech bubble silliness is even the actual solid ideas suffer from huge 'cart before the horse' issues.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

super sweet best pal posted:

Glass was the first major attempt at bringing AR headsets into the mainstream, marketing them as common everyday objects.

And really, do people even need the full functionality of Glass when it'd be far more effective to have simpler set-ups Bluetoothed into a phone to serve its main purpose as a heads-up display and leave everything else it does to the phone itself? Sure, the example is far from the ideal competitor, but it's just an example I used to show that alternatives are possible.

That seems a lot more convenient. Simple HUD software that can be connected to with apps or computers. Hell, license it out or open it up for anyone to use, let the nerds make literal DBZ scouters, and cyber-monocles for this cyberpunk Gilded Age we seem to be in.

Apple defining the aesthetic along with the technology was lightning in a bottle and it's not gonna happen again easily, if you're gonna make wackadoo experiments, best to broaden your base and use case rather than try to dictate who uses your product and how.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Musk is just all about appeal to novelty. Real solutions are expensive, boring and require rich people to be slightly less rich, fancy toys with silly names let them pretend they're contributing to society.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Scorpio was an incredible boss. Well, his entire gimmick was that he's a Bond villain whose personal quirk happens to be treating his employees well.

For that matter, Homer is shockingly effective middle management, if only because he doesn't try to mess with people who seem to know what they're doing, and focuses on keeping them happy.

They did have briefly recurring Artie Ziff representing the last tech bubble and the kind of people that make money off of them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tesla probably does deserve credit for making seemingly the first electric car that wasn't a weird, ridiculous hippie thing no one would want to be seen in public driving.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Why not have gas stations add electric charging or battery changing stations?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

This kind of thinking reminds me of possible jokes about how 50s urban planning expected flying cars to alleviate traffic issues within decades.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cicero posted:

Eh, we're within spitting distance of self-driving cars, so the situations aren't really comparable. You didn't have large test fleets of flying cars going around urban areas in the 50s.

They're called helicopters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cicero posted:

Eh, you know that's not what people mean by flying cars.

That's what they are in reality. We don't have hover technology, and we don't have AI capable of matching human awareness, knowledge and decision making.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

namaste faggots posted:

Can you imagine a city full of flying cars during a rain storm?

The Fifth Element?

Oddly enough, flying cars would probably also have to be autonomous.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

namaste faggots posted:

Have you ever flown in a small plane? Or maybe a float plane?

How about an airliner at low altitude in a rain storm?

I was more joking about standard cyberpunk/future city settings always being portrayed as pouring with rain.

And that's kinda my point; flying is already not taken lightly today, it's absolutely something you can't expect people to do every day.

(weirdly enough, supplemental Star Wars materials mention Coruscant has flying vehicles confined to strict lanes and basically automated; it takes a shitload of training and licensing to legally freely fly a speeder around outside of them)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Education has become the latest sure-thing scam. May have something to do with entire generations being assured it is the only means of improving one's station.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

As game console manufacturers have learned the hard way over and over; you can have all the fancy hardware you want, it doesn't mean poo poo on a stick if you don't have the software to back it up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm still sad they didn't call it the Steam Engine.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You literally can only get the rich to not hate pubic transport by playing to the 'oooh, shiny' factor. Which shouldn't be a surprise since that's Tesla's whole deal.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Prison is the new military.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Much like unions, worker's rights and healthcare, public transport is one of those things that the rest of the civilised world takes for granted as an aspect of a functioning country, that Americans have been carefully taught from birth to fear and reject for being Communism.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

Everybody pretends like they'll read War and Peace while riding the bus but from observation, you're lucky if they read Trump's latest tweet masterpieces, most people just stare in the distance and avoid making eye contact. And if you do try to read something, you'll find that it's a pretty distracting environment that can make concentrating on the text quite difficult.

Hey, staring out the window can be quite enjoyable. Especially if the route has a decent view or goes past interesting places.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

blowfish posted:

Buses are shaky as poo poo and make it hard to read, unlike subways and trams and trains. Unless you live in some weird moon country where tracks are half-broken all the time and roads are in tip top condition 24/7/365.

Apparently I do, except our tracks are also in good nick. Which is odd given our roads are notoriously bad compared to neighbouring states, though that might just be regional roads. Where the gently caress do you live?

Then again I used to take the school bus on dirt roads and never had trouble reading, so maybe you just need glasses.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

blowfish posted:

Germany/UK. German buses (being mostly built very low with good suspension) don't shake too badly so you can still kinda sorta read on them, though not quite as well as in most trains/trams. UK buses are tall pieces of poo poo with no suspension designed to make people carsick.

I guess the Australian habit of buying overkill for everything pays off.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Volcott posted:

As illustrated by their famously robust internet.

That's our politicians going overkill on being spiteful manchildren.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

divabot posted:

Australia's pretty car-centric too, it's expensive to live in one of the few spots with usable public transport and even then you'll be cursing your lack of a car. Australian cities do try to have PT, but the suburbianity is just a bit much to make it even slightly sustainable.

Often the available public transport isn't bad (necessarily) but availability itself is the big issue. It doesn't help that high-density housing is seemingly a foreign concept and/or a trigger word for NIMBYs here. (We are in the middle of an increasingly absurd housing bubble fuelled by deliberate tax loopholes, too) Adelaide's actual buses, trains and trams are usually fairly nice, but there's not a lot of them, pretty much everything is built around going into or out of the city centre, and weirdly there's basically one corner of the city serviced by trams, one by a bus track thingy called an O-Bahn or something, and a few by trains. It's like in Transport Tycoon when I want to try out every vehicle type once and never get rid of it. While Melbourne's city trams are considered very good, and in Brisbane I recall catching boats that work basically like buses ferrying people across the river.

Australia's car-centric setup at least has the excuse of being very sparsely populated and relatively spread out even in the densest regions. Even with good public transport setups you're still going to need a car to go anywhere outside densely populated regions. (the occasional bus stop in the middle of a green belt notwithstanding)

Uber and Lyft seem to have taken off here, to try to get back on topic. It makes sense even though I've never seen many complaints about our taxis besides expense, though I'm not sure if they're allowed to get away with much of their exploitative business model as they are elsewhere. Probably are.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

fishmech posted:

No, he's being misleading. It's a service that drives a fuel truck into your employer's parking lot to fuel up your car in the middle of said parking lot. So you don't go to gas stations at all.

There are actually countries that have done this for a while, with you know proper equipment and different sorts of parking lot layouts - I think a normal customer base for them are things like government and contractor installations in the middle of nowhere where it can actually be a serious hassle to get to a gas station, or for companies that are trying to get their employees to do something like switch to CNG or other alternative fuel cars and the delivery service is more available than a normal filling station.

But this company is aiming to just do this in normal lots, with normal cars and fuel.

I think this has come up in the thread before, and especially that it was a plot of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

From all I hear, programming anything tends to be a super lovely workplace with everything wrong with other industries turned up to 11 and very poor oversight, wouldn't be surprised if endemic sexism is another aspect of that. Companies want young, compliant, fresh-faced nerds with no personal lives they can burn out and discard for the next generation. Even the biggest tech companies often have horrible internal culture. (Microsoft is apparently still completely hosed from stack ranking's legacy)

And of course it's especially bad in 'startups' that are expected to be 'innovative' and 'disruptive', and thus not obliged to follow rules or common sense. Especially when they can present a vaguely 'progressive' trendy front contrasting stodgy grumpy men in suits.

It's not a problem that's going to be fixed just by firing executives (though that probably helps) or yelling at nerds, the whole culture's a rotten facade for capitalism's ugly mug.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I wasn't meaning to downplay the issues with sexism in my last post, just a point that if they're being this sexist and not even understanding why they have to hide it, imagine what the gently caress else they're doing. Especially since this seems to be mostly weeding out the ones who are dumb enough to be loud about it.

It's disturbing how much even the Democrats are pushing 'entrepreneurs' as the future of the country to solve all its problems when this is what it looks like in practice.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

cowofwar posted:

They don't want a personal assistant, they want a butler and butlers aren't cheap because they're competent.

When did people start thinking noveau rich would somehow change the world?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You have to realise the context in which you are saying things, Leftist counter-protestors being literally murdered by literal Nazis, and you say "Both sides are bad, radical leftists are scary"

Also because 'free speech' frequently does not apply to leftists, minorities and unions, and yet it's defended religiously when violent white supremacists hide behind it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Less dog whistle, more fig leaf. An important part of the 'decorum' that only liberals seem to actually acknowledge at all nowadays.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Does Uber even think they'll be around that long?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Liquid Communism posted:

A little bit of coding knowledge is to the modern student what a little bit of computer literacy was to our generation. It's something they're expected to know for what they think the workplace is going to look like in 10-20 years.

They're not expecting everyone to be a software developer, but more and more even stuff like Excel requires a bit of knowledge of programming logic to get the most out of.
So much like our generation, you'd better hope your school has money for computers and teachers who know how to use and teach them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

All it sounds like to me is yet another barrier to entry for the workforce. If you didn't play with the right toys, you'll never catch up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Terminator, Metal Gear, or I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The standard for 'good with computers' in my generation seems to be 'can type with more than two fingers' and possibly 'Can understand the difference between megabytes and gigabytes'. Though my middle-aged dad has a better track record with fixing the computer lately if only because he has the patience to follow instructions. I got all my computer mistakes out of the way on an expendable hand-me-down.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The thing is about walled gardens and modern GUIs is that they make loving mountains of money by removing the barriers to entry. Easier=more money, every single time. The same reason World of Warcraft is considered dumbed down to poo poo now because they realised they should give more content to people who don't play any other games because they make up the vast majority of their subscribers compared to the turbonerd masochists willing to spend days on end clicking wolves to get a belt with bigger numbers.

Removing busywork and fiddly technical poo poo means that the people who would otherwise ignore computers as 'too hard to use' can suddenly make use of them. All the old jargon disappearing and marketing focusing on new shiny 'apps' instead of programs is designed to say 'This isn't one of those clunky complicated computers for nerds that you have to call your nephew every five minutes to use!' and people welcome it with open arms. It's like complaining people don't have to know how to build their own car to drive one any more.

Were schools ever good at teaching computer stuff? From what I gathered most enthusiast programmers start early as hobbyists and never stop.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Maybe I missed the boat, but I can barely hack BBcode despite understanding the very basics of programming. Though I would describe my understanding as going from dark magic to runic magic.

Again, 'just learn to touch computer' seems like another barrier to entry that favours those with access to well-equipped, well-funded schools, supportive parents who can afford the necessary equipment and for that matter, even living in the right place for those skills to be relevant, having job opportunities and good internet. It's even worse than 'just become an engineer/lawyer/doctor' because at least those skills in theory are needed everywhere.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

the old ceremony posted:

i think that instead of coding, schools should teach basic social skills and empathy

Didn't you hear, the latest hot take is #BringBackBullying to teach those nasty nerds not to be so rude.

We may be going all the way back around to Victorian levels of 'Children are obviously all spoiled and sheltered by their mothers smartphones, we need to toughen them up with brutal institutional abuse and neglect'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Time posted:

I worked at a fortune 50 company with an outstanding HR department. They were fantastic at getting people recruited, interviewed, hired, trained, and paid for our roles. The way this (not tech) industry works is that the fresh grads are expected to work for 2-3 years at the firm before either leaving to work for a client, going to a grad program, or working for a competitor. You basically are kicked out at this point for the most part, with some exceptions. As a result you have something like a 40% yearly turnover for the younger staff and HR was very good about making sure every seat was filled with pretty competent people. Also the volume of people rotating in and out was absurd but almost nothing fell through the cracks as far the important stuff and the biggest gripes were poo poo like "ugh, they asked me for my routing information A SECOND TIME to make sure I got paid"

They were very annoying but they were loving good at their jobs

A company that's actually willing to train and develop talent sounds like a unicorn. A big problem today is that a lot of places expect years of experience as a bare minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yupedo is the Zombocom of the new era.