Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

HelloSailorSign posted:

Do the ovens lock now?

Are you having your stay at home alone toddler press the oven button for you so you can get the heating started before you get home?
They do when on cleaning mode. As a computer toucher, none of us like any of this poo poo, and it is not a good idea for all kinds of reasons, the first of which is that you absolutely cannot count on an appliance company (or a tech company!) to keep security updates coming for the life of the device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

CommieGIR posted:

"You can lift and shift to the cloud, it'll be cheap!"

Nope.
It's really easy to underestimate how many/much services you wind up needing, and thus the cost and time. It's wild how many resources go towards dealing with the massive deficiencies in functionality, but also deciphering terrible/wrong documentation. About half of my time is spent dealing with this kind of bullshit instead of actual problems. Why yes, I'd like to learn an entire new language to configure the thing that was supposed to make my life easier.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

All the inconsistency of old-style laws, but without being able to use human judgement to interpret them, sign me up.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I doubt he's bot farming followers. I think its more likely that Elon's twitter is full of spambots because it is such a rich source of gullible rubes.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Motronic posted:

They know what people want to do in it but you can't just advertise that widely.
Are they gonna get optional dicks/holes to stick on the bottom of their floating avatar torsos?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

War and Pieces posted:

VR headsets will be the complete death of the skilled trades. There's already apps that will say estimate an amount of conduit from a photograph. Thats a skill it takes years to learn that now anyone could do just as well.

Edit: This is probably more like Augmented Reality Ryan VR
I'm an actual data scientist, and "AI" is nowhere near where breathless press releases make it out to be. An app to estimate the amount of conduit in a photo is an insanely easy thing to do (basic geometry and edge detection), although even that will gently caress up in all sort of situations for all kinds of reasons.

Now compare that to every other task a skilled electrician does. You'd need a literal robot with dextrous hands and general intelligence, which realistically will never happen. ML/AI is just statistics with better marketing. They can't think or extrapolate like humans - they are only tools. Pretending otherwise leads to really lovely outcomes.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 1, 2022

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

empty baggie posted:

Every few years Buick runs an ad campaign in the US proclaiming that they're the "New Buick" and not the uncool car your grandparents drove, and the ad campaign never really works. If they released something that looked like this, they'd still probably be seen as the uncool car your grandparents drove.
Buick only survived 2008 because Chinese consumers mysteriously perceive them as being cool.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

At least you can get Linux working on on the older x86, kind of, with a tremendous amount of effort. Much like an old chromebook that I bought because I'm an idiot. Just gotta do a whole series of key strokes and interpretive dance to bypass the bootloader.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I literally had the tether plane idea the other day when I was really baked, as a way to do electric planes without batteries. Even when in that state I knew it wouldn't work for all kinds of reasons. So you are saying I can get paid for this poo poo?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

America Inc. posted:

Apple store employees in Maryland voted to organize the first Apple union in the US:
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-61855301

Next a programmer's union?
Go check out the comment section on hackernews whenever that topic comes up. By and large, bazingas think of themselves as too smart and elite to need stuff like that, despite all evidence to the contrary.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

How the hell do those weird nerds think this would go over well?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Just the other day I had to go in to the validation file for one of our admin pages and update a list of usernames someone had hardcoded in there because someone had changed theirs when they got married and couldn't get in anymore.
Hell yeah, love having little bits of overlapping state in various json and source file.

This textfile is pretty good at breaking text assumptions, btw:
https://github.com/minimaxir/big-list-of-naughty-strings/blob/master/blns.json

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

VideoGameVet posted:

Yep. Been there, tried that, people died.

Always been surprising to me that they didn't think about metal fatigue with the Comet. That had to have been relatively well known, with how its a constant thing with any kind of metal objects undergoing large enough strain cycles.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

TACD posted:

https://twitter.com/PunishedHavoc/status/1542121503432626176

I really hope this is fake, what the gently caress lol
If the boxes get to the top does the guys dick get cut off or something?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that active cruise control on my Toyota is awesome. Maintaining speed/safe following distance is a very rote task that still takes up a lot of attention. The active cruise lets me use my human brain to focus on the stuff only it can do, like sensing if a nearby driver is squirrely or if someone is going to pull out in front of me, without having to glance down at the speedometer a lot.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

PT6A posted:

I'm always polite to actual call-center folks, it's just a job... but the scammers? Oh I like to have a bit of fun with them.

Did you know if an Indian scammer calls you, you can in fact get them to shriek death threats at you by suggesting the female members of their family are extremely skilled at oral sex? They just come unhinged!
One time I was loving with one and the dude hung up on me saying "Go to hell," but in a completely polite and calm tone of voice.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Hey everyone, remember that p-values do not mean the probability of an effect being real. A positive conclusion based on a p-value of 0.05 can easily have >50% of being wrong, depending on the prior, sample size, effect size, and whether bad things like multiple comparisons without correction were done.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

BiggerBoat posted:

I just found out that HBO Max - the only streaming service I consider worth a drat - is going away
I never get why mergers like that always seem to torch the more successful of overlapping businesses. Who the hell watches Discovery+ ?

I'm thinking more and more about getting a paid proxy and just torrenting. They won me over with convenience years ago, but now streaming is

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Professor Beetus posted:

I have bad news for you regarding the viewership and financial success of Discovery vs HBO.
:wtc:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Elias_Maluco posted:

Its so bad I keep thinking what is the secret plan with this thing?

I mean, its one of the richest corporations in the world, they must have hundreds of millions to spend just in marketing and somehow they think people will fall for this super bland second life that looks even worst the original one looked like 15 years ago, considering that one failed too and only survives as a cybersex platform which obviously cant work when avatars no legs or genitals?

And at the same time, we live in a world were people are expending millions on links to ugly monkey drawings, which is even more dumb, so who knows
The rate of profit on capital has a tendency to fall. The best investments are bizarre scams like this than anything productive.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

raifield posted:

Really seems like one of those things that you don't need to see in order to understand what it is.
Somebody has to label a significant number of training examples for it to be able to discriminate, not really any way around it.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Sage Grimm posted:

https://twitter.com/mikewayland/status/1562518465587851265

Name the various things that could go wrong with bringing platooning autonomous driving via wi-fi over to individual vehicles
How could the tech theoretically be used for trailers when trailers don't have engines? Is there a tractor beam or something?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Kwyndig posted:

I don't know about that but the VCs are definitely not left holding the bag a lot of times, like they should.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BB6wj6RyKo

I didn't see this posted yet, but this is a real video about how to reset your wifi-enabled lightbulbs.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Here's a question for the gallery. Let's say there's a fantastical company that doesn't care about liability and willfully commits to moderating their large social media platform to weed out malicious behavior like harassment, threats, and disinfo. Even if they are completely benevolent and driven in their pursuit, is it practical or even possible to regulate a platform with a population in the hundreds of millions? Is there a system one could design or enough man-hours dedicated to moderation that it would be feasible?
No. There's no system that's going to be reliable enough to automatically moderate, and the man-hours required to moderate all of that would be a non-starter; especially considering how twitter already is not profitable.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The ones who stay are probably going to quickly envy the ones who were fired.
The prevailing emotion will be one of nostalgia for those fired, combined with a spirit of bold curiosity for the adventure ahead!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Jaxyon posted:

In general, if I buy a house, I don't get to declare the house bankrupt after I sold off the roof, copper, and appliances for my own profit.
I knew a guy who did that, actually, when he got foreclosed in '08. The bank got mad but nothing came of it.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Jaxyon posted:

I guess you could maybe purchase the house through a shell corp created for that purpose?

I mean people do that but it's not common.
Probably. I doubt they'd go after you for anything criminal for that kind of small potatoes stuff, and the shell corp would probably make it more trouble than its worth to sue.

This guy seriously ripped out the showers, power outlets, all the appliances, the interior doors. That place was hosed. A true hero.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Sagacity posted:

To be honest, I actually quite like that someone is willing to pour literally billions of dollars in developing VR. Sure, I don't care about the business VR aspect either, but having all this R&D can't hurt and if it leads to more immersive fart apps I'm all for it.
I can't imagine much useful research is getting done, given that furry VR is more advanced at this point.

BiggerBoat posted:

SO can we finally put "learn to code!" to bed as a rebuttal to people having trouble finding work or find themselves phased out certain professions?
No, it's still a great thing to yell at uppity blue-collar workers.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

BiggerBoat posted:

Holy poo poo between Musk and the Bitcoin guy finally crashing that particular pyramid scheme, this is another case of Mike Judge predicting the future. FIrst with Idiocracy and more recently with Silicon Valley.
One could almost say that Idiocracy was a documentary.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

withoutclass posted:

Don't worry, soon cars will be so expensive that nobody can afford them anyways.
Unironically, this and similar general collapse in production ability is by far the most realistic way climate change could be mitigated. There's far less painful alternatives, but those require actual action as opposed to just letting the capitalist class sit back and grift.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Kwyndig posted:

Wait that was real? I thought it was just a grift, like bitcoins and poo poo.
It's a grift, and it's a phone. Order yours today!

https://www.freedomphone.com/

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Isn't that caffeine-free diet coke? I guess he gets enough stimulant from the white kind of coke.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Weird how all software development methodologies still wind up producing worthless trash, way behind schedule.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Remulak posted:

I’ve worked on multiple projects that produced good- enough-to-sell trash. And if it sold it’s not worthless.
You can sell it, but you are also making the world a worse place. Of course, there's no good software and the whole thing wasn't a great idea in retrospect.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 5, 2022

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Cheesus posted:

I'm not sure that it matters.

If the anecdotal evidence is to be believed, in my nearest metropolitan area (Burlington, Vermont) which for the past year or two has been suffering an incredible degree of car thefts, the biggest commonality to the thefts is people not locking their car doors.

Or leaving the keys in the car altogether. :psyduck:
Not locking can be a viable strategy if you never keep anything in your car.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It was a "thing" in SF for a while (maybe still is) to leave a note on your window saying your doors are unlocked or listing the contents of your car if you park in some of the downtown areas.

People there have these ice pick things that are designed for breaking car windows in emergencies and you can somewhat quietly shatter a car window with just a poke in under a second. Makes hitting a huge row of cars really easy.

If I were a thief, I'd break that car's window out of principle. There's no reason to draw attention to your car. You can just leave it unlocked, and occasionally somebody will rifle through your glove box.

Pieces of broken spark plugs are an old favorite for breaking windows too.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Twerk from Home posted:

I wish someone would supply my local thieves with better tools, the last time they came through they used a big rock and hosed up the paint and door on several of the cars they hit.

They also failed to break windows on some, just leaving a big crack on the glass.
My brother had his car broken into once where it looked like they spent 15 minutes or something trying to pry the locked door open, and then finally they gave up and smashed a window. Completely hosed up the door and hinge, but they did at least get a lovely stereo they could probably sell to a pawn shop for $5.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Cheesus posted:

What we're seeing in Vermont is not theft of property left in cars, but theft of the cars themselves, ranging from just gone to being found but utterly trashed.
Are people like leaving their keys in the car a lot or something? New cars are pretty hard to hotwire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Kwyndig posted:

It's not like Buzzfeed releases super long videos anyway. Wouldn't take much effort to pivot.
A literal pivot in this case.