Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Munkeymon posted:

I would be very interested in more technical details, if you're able to go that far into the subject.

E: and maybe in not-D&D, but eh whatever
I can give you a quick summary from having a Rift DK1; basically you need a very, very low latency rendering and very high refresh rate to prevent your brain noticing the lag when using the headset. Any lag introduced makes you immediately feel motion sick (it's actually kind of fun to play with). MacBook Pros have a higher end version with an nVidia mobile graphics card, but even with that card at the DK1 resolutions of 1280x720 (or close) it's very hard to achieve a non-tearing 60 frames per second experience on anything but the simplest tech demos. I demoed a lot of the Rift apps using my MBP at work and anything that was an actual game such as Half Life 2 was very sickening to play since it's just not a machine built for gaming (and turning the textures down a lot made it passable but a lot less immersive).

So that was the DK1. The newer consumer version and the Vive have way higher resolution targets to hit, so it's just not really feasible with the hardware that Apple is shipping. Theoretically Mac Pros might be better, but they are workstation tier video cards more aligned with non-realtime rendering needs than for gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Munkeymon posted:

Huh, so does that mean VR is going to be limited to the kinds of PC builds that are game-enthusiast levels or are drivers on Windows so much better that you can hit performance targets with worse hardware?

Seems like it! I was an early potential enthusiast but at this point to get the consumer VR stuff I'd need about 800$ in upgrades to my PC (and I'm in Canada where our dollar currently means I'd add 30%). I hope the high barrier to entry doesn't screw it up.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Jesus loving christ:
http://recode.net/2016/03/24/snapchat-is-buying-bitstrips-the-company-that-turns-you-into-an-emoji/

quote:

Snapchat Is Buying Bitstrips, the Company That Turns You Into an Emoji

In the "ballpark of $100 million". Probably stock but what in the ever loving Christ is happening.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Josh Lyman posted:

Literally this entire page, buddy.
Haha oh poo poo, I had an older tab open! Well, consider that my contribution to incredulity of it all.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

nachos posted:

I read that and I still have no idea what HubSpot does or why it has so much funding. I do know that people who are fired actually just graduated from the company though.
Oh please, familiarize yourself with their "culture":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sknnd-pkQ8A

And bonus round - "When did you feel part of the inbound movement":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avzzEOWFj9k

The show Silicon Valley is downright boring and reasonable compared to this poo poo.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Hughlander posted:

Author of the article is a staff writer for the show.
That's why I mentioned the show :)

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

skybolt_1 posted:

Basically these guys are in the single sign-on and federated identity management space. The idea is that your end users all launch applications (cloud, usually, sometimes locally hosted) from a central portal site delivered via Okta. Okta builds SAML bridges / interfaces out which tell those applications "Hey, this here is skybolt_1, a user of Evilcorp, Inc., who has these rights and permissions. Give him access" and provided that everything talks to each other over the interface, it magically works, from the end user's standpoint.

Yeah we use Okta at work, it's way nicer than having a separate password (or worse, the same password) for dozens of external services. Plus if someone leaves then there's only one central place to remove their account.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Probably should have thought about this before you know, doing it:
https://twitter.com/rus/status/791681274339622913

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

nachos posted:

Speaking of bad management does anyone still do holocracy anymore?
Pretty sure Valve still practices it, with obvious results.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
You can cryptographically sign things and hashes of things without a blockchain.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Or do this for your photo library:
code:
$ md5sum * | mail [email]example@gmail.com[/email]
I would trust Gmail keeping a dump of hashes with the email timestamped more than I would trust that this gets a) built and b) maintained, and of course c) works.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Bye Richard, thanks for the GPL but you've overstayed your welcome by a couple of decades:

https://twitter.com/jason_koebler/status/1173752412169023488

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Hope none of you use Instacart! For many reasons obviously, but now this:

https://twitter.com/JaneLytv/status/1286093253050277889

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
My last company said they were going to mirror the Facebook/Google policy of adjusting for cost-of-living moves, so if you moved from SF to somewhere cheaper you'd get paid less in a post-COVID world. Someone then asked if they live with their parents in SF if they'd get less money - there was never an answer for that.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

gonger posted:

To be clear, the tech companies are doing "cost of labor" adjustments for moving and not "cost of living". Confusing since they're both often abbreviated to "CoL".
I left before they came up with an answer but I would suspect they would clarify it that way. It smelled like a desperate push to cut salaries in any way possible as everyone competing with FAANGs very much resents having to pay those salaries.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I'm shocked Quibi failed, must be cause of COVID-19 and not the garbage they were making.

https://twitter.com/zachraffio/status/1250273191810875392

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

PT6A posted:

Look at Everest. Hundreds of individuals a year pay tens of thousands of dollars a piece to climb a large mountain that many people have already climbed before and risk their lives in the process, to attain an altitude that is more or less trivial in an aircraft and even possible in a glider, proving nothing because huge numbers of people have already done it and it's by no means the most challenging ascent in the world or even in the general area.

Just lol if you think we won't send people to Mars or the Moon or anywhere else we can just for the gently caress of it. There's probably no particularly compelling reason to do so, unless we become convinced that we've actually made Earth less livable than other planets (which, even if climate change is real bad, I see no reason it would somehow be less livable than any other planet we can feasibly reach), but we'll do it anyway.

If "it's not a particularly good idea" were widely accepted as a reason not to do something, this thread would be empty.

Nobody is questioning a small amount of people sent somewhere and back (or to die), it's the staggering amount of global resources required to bootstrap an offworld colony that would be the stopping point. Companies and governments will not spend trillions over decades to send the resources a colony would need to reach anywhere near an ROI.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
It's like fishmech never left! (And by left I mean, was perma'd)

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I would love nothing more than a Keppler event/Ablation cascade to lock us out of space for a few hundred years to get us to focus on unterraforming Earth instead of pretending we can terraform Mars. And I loving love space.

All we're gonna do is burn trillions of public and private money to have a few dozen or hundred people die on Mars, and maaaaybe score an iron-heavy asteroid to make the rich richer while our atmosphere kills us.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Space Gopher posted:

OK, sure, let's set aside the investors-and-C-levels side of things, and just talk about the engineering organizations.

Try showing up for a few west coast tech interviews in a conservative business suit. You will very quickly learn that there's a dress code, and it's not "just wear clothes."
I did a big hiring stint last year in San Francisco and three people out of maybe 30 showed up in suits. Two were immigrants and maybe they weren't used to the tech bro culture? Regardless their suits had no effect on me or the other interviewers because we're not gatekeeping children and one of them landed a role.

He shows up to work in dress shirts still - in San Francisco! The horror!

Edit: Sorry Corona brain, late 2019

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 22, 2021

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

enki42 posted:

I don't mean to pick on you for this, but I don't think the reasons for assigning someone to an in-group or out-group based on clothing are so explicit and surface level that it's completely fair to call people children for doing it. The clothes someone wears is going to add a ton of subconscious bias for or against the person, and thinking that the baseline behaviour for people is to be not biased unless you explicitly think "I won't hire people in suits" is the wrong way to go about it - you really do need to make a conscious effort to work against your preconceived notions and biases.

It's similar to the argument you hear a lot in tech hiring that a company's hiring processes are fair and not discriminatory because no one has explicitly said "let's not hire her because she's a woman" (or whatever underrepresented group you want to include here).
I think in context of what I responded to it's pretty fair response. I don't slight everyone for having unconscious biases; the person I responded to seems to have very conscious biases or at least their peer group does.

Edit: Also tech hiring is really terrible, toxic and full of people hiring people who look and act just like them. making GBS threads on applicants for daring to follow what's the cultural norm in interviews outside of this bubble just sits with me wrong.

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 22, 2021

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Random Integer posted:

That's exactly what the person you were responding to was saying.
Yeah I guess I mistook stating the status quo versus propagating it, my bad.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Solkanar512 posted:

Sorry, what did you mean by "HN"?

Hacker News - https://news.ycombinator.com/

Paul Graham's sycophant club

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
This is some of the dumbest poo poo ever:
https://twitter.com/BRKeogh/status/1370356988169744388

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

divabot posted:

I do calling bitcoin poo poo as p much a second job, and this month has been busy on media appearances - and almost every one has been about "holy loving poo poo this bullshit makes so much CO2". so awareness is out there, and also this is really good news for bitcoin when you think about it,
Yeah that's a good point and I also have noticed a lot more people calling out the emissions and energy.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Mister Facetious posted:

Can you clarify this reference? My knowledge of Ed Harris films is pretty spotty when it's not The Rock.

Westworld

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Robocop was awesome but "race of robot life forms designed only for being shot at" is definitely Westworld friend :catbert: (which is also awesome, even if S2 drags a bit!)

Edit: Also NFT content

https://twitter.com/zachhazard/status/1374589801882652672

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 24, 2021

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Mister Facetious posted:

Corvettes (used to?) actually have a HUD mounted on top of the dash.

There are a lot of cars these days with heads-up displays visible on the glass (unless you mean there's something special about how the Corvettes had it mounted)

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Mister Facetious posted:

It's just the only one I know that used it back in the day.

I don't understand why anyone would want AR for daily use (rather than specialized tasks) though when every mention of it in fiction (going back at least to '93, if not earlier) always points out how advertisers will be using it to push poo poo.

Oh yeah it's stupid. I worked at a place that made a sports app and Google sent us a free Glass with the suggestion to display sports scores on it's HUD while a user walked around... when every person using the app already has you know, a phone. And watches the games when possible. Like nobody is excitedly watching the scores update in real-time.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/ClimateNexus/status/1382069830128373768

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
So their CTO can constantly tweet and go on podcasts about politics during work including amplifying Glen loving Greenwald but now the actual workers can't discuss politics. Nice.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Also:
https://twitter.com/katienotopoulos/status/1386756281109819400

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Whole lot of white guy avatars with red laser eyes losing their loving mind over this:
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1392602041025843203

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I have a friend who died years ago; shortly before I left Facebook his account got compromised and all his photos uploaded over ten years were replaced with sunglass ads and discount codes. Reported this to Facebook and they said sorry looks like normal activity, issue closed.

I checked on a friends account recently and it seems that they updated the ads to new ones at least!

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Detective No. 27 posted:

Jesus that's dark.

What's more dark is that he died from untreated diabetes because he was part of Facebook groups that didn't believe in medicine! (I mean and dumb, I don't entirely blame the groups of course).

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Detective No. 27 posted:

Less Fat Luke, did you consider contacting a journalist about your friend's Facebook account? Dead people ad pages seems like one of those things that probably happens a lot without people knowing and Facebook probably won't do poo poo about unless it goes viral. Like what happened with the Pregnant Elsa Spiderman videos on YouTube a few years back.
I emailed a few when this happened (about five years ago) but none were interested.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Mister Facetious posted:

what about the electricity costs to keep them running?

Also, does whatever goofy bullshit their coin generation needs eventually kill the SSD?
Yeah it absolutely kills SSDs, they basically generate gigantic random "plots" on an SSD then move it to spinning disks which have to be kept spinning forever to do random samples. But the first SSD part has been absolutely destroying SSDs (I think derBeauer did some testing on Youtube about it as well).

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

withak posted:

I, for one, look forward to having to barter on the black market for parts to keep my 32" dumb TV working in the year 2035.

At 32 inches you'll probably always be able to buy dumb computer monitors for your TV at least.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

tracecomplete posted:

Home Assistant runs locally and also doesn't support squat, so that's fun.
I've found Home Assistant supports tons of integrations, far more than Apple Home (which I moved away from due to all the bugs in scheduling that have been acknowledged and won't be fixed). Even things I never planned on integrating with HA are detected like a stereo receiver, TV, nVidia Shield. It's been a real nice experience so far, just don't use a Raspberry Pi with an SD card :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/1408188445877489670