Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
My experience with this is even if you spend a comparatively huge amount of money on a mac with good specs, even if you want to update the graphics card there's a very high chance it's not "supported" and things like the boot screen don't work anymore lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Is giving away rapidly dwindling restricted stock something that companies usually attempt to inspire confidence? Seems like every time I hear something like this happening its because a company is circling the drain.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Arsenic Lupin posted:

See thread title. On a side note, it really, really pisses employees off who *aren't* offered the anchor money. "You don't want me? I'm out." And it's only when they're gone that you find out they were the only person who knew how to [insert your favorite obscure task here]. The times I've worked places where this kind of offer went out -- I have a habit of killing companies -- everybody took it as a message to get out while the getting was good.

Haha wow I didn't even think of that. Christ what a terrible idea.

I believe Sears also started doing sometime after their idiot Randoid CEO hosed up everything, and yeah...

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Republicans posted:

Ensure doesn't come with a free pitcher and scoop. :smug:

It has less lead and cadmium in it though!

Here's what's going on with Soylent's lead and cadmium controversy (lol)

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/aug/17/soylent-unsafe-levels-lead-cadmium

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 17, 2016

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, okay. Sorry about that, I misinterpreted completely.

Sick to death of reading about Bitcoin? Have I got a deal for you! New, improved Ethereum!

It. mine. :bang: For those of you who feel that it's not sufficient just having the infrastructure itself be a Ponzi scheme, have we got a platform for you!

Any time "Bitcoin is the safest bet", you should be very afraid. Feel free to enlighten my ignorance. I think digital currency is a good thing, but I think a digital currency in which money is created and backed by CPU cycles isn't long-term viable.

Actually digital marbles 2.0 is really great and is also the future of money, and while I can't give you specifics I can tell you that you should buy buy buy now now now!

And no my 100grand in holdings has not affected my opinion, why do you ask?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Even in NYC, a lot of the trains are old and don't display the next stop, and are filled with ads so you're lucky if you can see a track map. If the conductor does announce the stop, the audio is terrible so you can't understand it half the time. Not to mention any of the stations outside Manhattan (and even some Manhattan stations) still look like they've been hit by a hurricane recently.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I got a smart TV and fortunately never had to connect it to the Internet, and just use in as extra monitor to put videos on a big screen from my PC, and it does a pretty good job of that. It's a Westinghouse Roku one if you're looking for a TV that doesn't harass you or require an Internet connection.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Apparently they can also be converted into fuel, soo I can't wait until Sewer Shark becomes a reality except it's about mining farbergs. Probably less stupid than the cyberpunk dystopia we have now.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/sep/16/geofence-warrants-reverse-search-warrants-police-google

https://www.wired.com/story/geofence-warrants-google/

quote:

In January 2020, an alarming email from Google landed in McCoy’s inbox. Police were requesting his user data, the company told him, and McCoy had seven days to go to court and block its release.

McCoy later found out the request was part of an investigation into the burglary of a nearby home the year before. The evidence that cast him as a suspect was his location during his bike ride – information the police obtained from Google through what is called a geofence warrant. For simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time, McCoy was being investigated and, as a result, his Google data was at risk of being handed over to the police.

Geofence location warrants and reverse search warrants such as the ones McCoy dealt with are increasingly becoming the tool of choice for law enforcement. Google revealed for the first time in August that it received 11,554 geofence location warrants from law enforcement agencies in 2020, up from 8,396 in 2019 and 982 in 2018.

So if looks like you have to disable location and/or turn on airplane mode to avoid incriminating yourself just by being in a certain place and time with your phone now that Google is just giving out location data like candy to cops? Or is just disabling Location enough since police would have to request cell tower records from phone companies in that case?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

If you gracefully roll over a pedestrian in a barren parking lot and no one saw or heart it, did you really roll them over? Elon says no

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
All for a product that isn't ready and isn't likely to ever be "ready" for anything other than driving on an empty expanse, genius.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Every child must display this to the duly authorized lunch distributor for receipt of mandated sustenance:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Microsoft actively destroyed Skype and prevented people from using it in a desperate attempt to get everyone to switch over to their MS Teams bloatware and it didn't work out so well for them I guess.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
judge knows a bit too much about the secret enhance! enhance!! technology built into ipads by three letter agencies and ancient alien algorithms

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
The Internet as a whole just seems to have made spreading right-wing propaganda and lies that much easier, and could possibly be the main reason for the rightward shift worldwide. Especially in the last couple years with many people apparently not finding anything better to do but sit at home and be indoctrinated by Qanon garbage, etc. The lack of moderation on social media or any attempt to curb this by libertarian tech bros I'm sure hasn't helped.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

the internet equalizes all messages, left or right, valid or batshit. we're more fearful of the right gaining power but over in chudland they're equally lamenting the coming left-antifa alliance who bans meat and forces everyone to worship obama

the stronger and weirder a message is, the more attractive it is to retweet for engagement. nobody likes boring and reasonable posts

Like Crain, I also greatly disagree with this. Right wing propaganda is many times easier and cheaper to spread, and people seem to take to it like heroin. I would love if facts and logic would have an equal shot by default but this has not been the case.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

BiggerBoat posted:

Except I still get Tucker Carlson and similar minded poo poo showing up in my recommendations.

They're probably recommending right wing garbage just by the area you live in alone. (no offence of course)

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 3, 2021

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
White supremacy: very good for bitcoin

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2021/12/09/how-cryptocurrency-revolutionized-white-supremacist-movement

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Can't wait to die in one of those tunnels where there is no ventilation or convenient escape routes. Sure I'll just hop over a line of burning cars in front of me while choking on smoke the whole time. How the hell did this make it out of the planning stages let alone actually existing?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Hopefully something comes of this:

Lawsuit aiming to break up Facebook group Meta can go ahead, US court rules

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/jan/12/lawsuit-aiming-to-break-up-facebook-group-meta-can-go-ahead-us-court-rules

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Maybe they should have named 4K blu rays something else, cause I'd be under the assumption that regular blu ray players could play them even though they can't. Doubt it would have made much of a difference, like it didn't with with "HD DVDs" though.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Counterpoint: the Internet is already a wild west shithole

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Can confirm that even the Tesla 12V battery dies and there are no "Tesla authorized repair shops" (dealers) around, you are megafucked because they are special sized batteries that are not sold in stores. Also you void the warranty for your car if you somehow manage to get one and replace it yourself. It's some Apple device proprietary poo poo, but in car form. Your option is to get a flatbed truck to tow your brick all the way to a Tesla dealer, probably costing 500+ dollars.

Just had to go through this whole charade with a friends Model 3, the heating system stopped working because the car got too cold (LOL), meaning it could not keep the 12V battery warm. After many calls to Tesla telling us to disconnect and reconnect the battery (which didn't work), we took it out of the car and put it on top of a heater indoors for a while because it was basically frozen. Put it back in the car during the day, and thankfully the main battery had enough juice to recharge the 12V somewhat, and we were able to get it to a charging station and just leave it plugged in overnight. The heating system was still failing because the 12V was nearly dead, but this at least let us drive it back to a Tesla dealer so they could replace it without voiding the warranty.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 1, 2022

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1503366303964348420

Without even addressing how hosed up this is from a technological standpoint, I really don't get how Tesla/Musk have managed to produce such a population of corporate boot-licking morons that this tweet is even possible.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 15, 2022

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Maybe if teams wasn't such garbage bloatware people would actually use it, not sure if this ever occurred to anyone at MS.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
You can just use Kiwi browser or some other Chrome derived custom browser on your phone and then put ublock origin on it. Bam, no ads.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Now just think, if it were all blockchain based this never would have happened!!

(because it would have been a much more transparent scam)

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
This all sounds like the status quo for Tesla owners now lol

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Wow just what I wanted, a horrific computer generated interpretation of a person in my chess game...... oh

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
They already have Windows as a subscription service as part of an Office 365 business package.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
"look we really don't want offend all these people who constantly talk about wanting to kill people with the guns they are buying and selling on our platform"

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Rebel Blob posted:

Indeed, enjoy 20 minutes of stilt buses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC4DwcrE658

Or more transportation of the future, like flying trains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZJ0KGAIM_w

I had a thought that these videos were satire that were made specifically for professional engineers to laugh at for hours, but.... are they actually serious?

Why would you need a plane that is tethered to the ground?? :wtc:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Yeah there are a lot of people in tech, management mainly, that are desperately seeking to justify their jobs. At bigger companies a lot of their "solutions" get cargo-culted around without anyone stopping to think why we would actually need something until it fails. At the biggest companies these ideas often fail upwards for quite some time just because they have the money to waste.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Just having your last name changed at your own job can be a disaster. Any idea on how many systems will suddenly break or not allow you to log in because your email address changed and it wont sync over from active directory properly? At least half of them, and you'll be dealing with broken poo poo or finding new broken poo poo for months, at least.

I'm sure this has nothing to with women traditionally having their last names changed and tech being functionally or actually misogynist either.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
There are a lot of people that are really, really interested in WWII German military collectibles for... some reason. :rolleyes:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

BiggerBoat posted:

I am baffled as to how YouTube algorithms work. I have my history/tracking thing turned off but it still kind of seems to know that I like certain music or comedy. And then I get weird poo poo like "Top 10 mistakes people make when replacing an electrical outlet" or some Tucker Carlson poo poo in my recommends and have no clue how those rise to the surface.

If you're still living in Florida you're still getting those location based recommendations too.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Watching YouTubers hack scammers and return money and
poo poo is definitely a big Saturday activity for me.

Has anyone else noticed a gigantic uptic in web ads over the last month or so

What is the best way to loving block all this poo poo I'm so loving tired of it the ads basically eclipse the entire screen half the time and can't be closed

And no I don't have a virus or some poo poo. It's my phone. It won't loving stop

Use Kiwi Browser or something similar and install the ublock origin browser extension within it

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Won't somebody please think of the grifters... so many grandmas, just waiting to have their retirement fund siphoned. Only you can help by dialing this 1-900 number.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Yeah once my HP ink cartridges started drying out in less than a year I figured it was time to dump that whole scam and just got a laser printer too. Also lol that HP ink printers need to "clean" the cartridges constantly, like on every startup, wasting even more ink every time.

Oh yeah I still use the HP printer/scanner for scanning and it bitches about not having ink on startup every time and I have to confirm it before I can scan, what a loving terrible product. I at least got it for free from someone else who didn't want to deal with it.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
This probably has something to do with them charging up to $12000 to beta test autopilot (seriously :wtc:). I'd imagine people wouldn't be happy if they suddenly had to buy an expensive lidar upgrade for existing cars or the project just being declared a failure and only supported on models that don't exist yet.