Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

icantfindaname posted:

The idea behind Uber and its labor model is to strip away any remaining comforts or security for the working class, so they can finally get back to toiling 12 hours a day from the cradle to the grave for the convenience of the bourgeois upper middle class, like god intended

12 hour days is a bit conservative

http://nypost.com/2016/02/07/uber-drivers-working-up-to-19-hours-a-day-just-to-get-by/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

"PC gone mad" is too British, and "SJW" has lost its luster, but fear not. We'll finally defeat the scourge of the dignity-wanters as soon as we find the right thing to sneer at them.

I'm not what that means but Asian Americans are definitely not counted as minorities in many discussions surrounding education and tech. I don't have any real conclusions on why.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Pharohman777 posted:

The way you talk about it, Juicero sounds like some sort of vampire.

A vampire from "what we do in the shadows".... God I just realized if Vampirism existed some hipster would totally monetize and disrupt it

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Oneiros posted:

Let's be realistic here...

Speaking on which, whatever happened to that startup that was disrupting the restaurant industry encouraging illegal pop-up restaurants in people's homes?

Not sure which one you're mentioning, but NYT had an article saying the whole fad is a flop.

There are way more people willing to host than people willing to go to stranger's homes for a meal.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

It makes sense for the government to go after the drivers. They broke the law, obviously! - said probably some idiot on the internet.

Really lovely that these people are struggling to survive and getting hosed form both directions.

I dunno. The sleaziness of Uber is very public. It's not like these drivers were blindsided. It's like taking a contract with Donald Trump at this point. If you're not getting your payment up front it's kinda your own fault when he inevitably stiffs you.

I mean, what were the driver's logic: Uber will gently caress everyone but me, the loyal contractor?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Dmitri-9 posted:

How long did it take between launch and the someone being served a warrant to obtain their Echo data in a murder case?

https://www.wired.com/2017/02/murder-case-tests-alexas-devotion-privacy/amp

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Here's a question for the gallery. Let's say there's a fantastical company that doesn't care about liability and willfully commits to moderating their large social media platform to weed out malicious behavior like harassment, threats, and disinfo. Even if they are completely benevolent and driven in their pursuit, is it practical or even possible to regulate a platform with a population in the hundreds of millions? Is there a system one could design or enough man-hours dedicated to moderation that it would be feasible?

We figured this poo poo out in the 90s. Just charge 10 bucks to post. Lurking is free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
I do wonder why AI can't draw hands