Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

sadus posted:

You're assuming you have to stop in the middle of the tracks and offload there like a subway - could potentially have lots of little offloading areas at each stop so many cars could be loading at once, and only get back on the tracks when they're ready.

p.s. DC's subway catches fire pretty frequently, but actually being able to get places faster than driving in traffic is awesome. Denver has it all backwards. The DC stations seem like bomb shelters but I guess they really probably are?

Having only lived around Denver for a year, my God does public transit suck rear end here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

twodot posted:

Until someone invents an AI that doesn't run on electricity, I feel VERY confident that electricity will remain the more important invention.

There's so much wrong with this mindset.

I don't think AI is going anywhere beyond useful niche applications, but it's silly to dismiss how invention and discovery stack on each other.

Also, the pedant in me is behooved to point out electricity wasn't invented, but discovered.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Futuresight posted:

Electricity is possible without domesticated animals or irrigation. Flight is possible without muslin cloth. Your analogies are bad.

AI being more profound than electricity is so loving dumb because AI requires electricity. Like, specifically dumb because of that. Not because it loses in the race of what's more profound, but because it literally cannot be compared because it cannot exist in isolation to electricity at this time. If they said it was more profound than agriculture it'd be very debatable, but it wouldn't be automatically stupid. The quote just reveals a complete lack of perspective and an idiotic level of AI worship. AI could be at most as profound as, but never more profound than electricity. You literally can't exceed the importance of something that must exist for you to exist.

So you are neither as profound or important than your constituent parts or the processes that allow those parts to function? That really flies in the face of emergent complexity, is reductionist taken to the extreme, and contradicts most of what we know of the universe at a fundamental level.

What I am saying is you should feel bad because your opinions are trash.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Futuresight posted:

Um, I literally said you can be as profound, you just cannot be more profound. Every emergence increases the profundity of its constituent parts. Everything we do with electricity makes electricity that much more remarkable and important.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

What I am saying is you should feel bad because your opinions are trash.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Intelligence doesn’t mean sentience and the issue with the current fad of AI isn’t that it is applied too broadly but instead that it is applies too narrowly.

PID is an AI. A 1940s pinball machine is an AI. Human organizations exhibit AI. The DSA is an AI. The newest craze in ANN might be more complex or intriguing the last generation of control systems, but it is no more magical.

So we dispense with the awe over “artificial intelligence” and instead focus on analysis the benefits and risks of a particular “smarter” tool.

There was a lecture on a topic like this i watched once, and I can't find it for the life of me. The argument behind it was that we have already created multiple AI's in the form of corporations. These AI's maximize the goal of profit over all else, and they are wreaking havoc on our modern society. It was very compelling, and argued that AI is an emergent property of any complex enough system.

Hence why Futuresight is flat out loving wrong.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

It's also hilarious because they are showing the charging costs into the parents of these kids.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Programmers are safe for at least 40 years.

Every other tech professional is...less safe.

HAHAHAHA

You have no idea what you are talking about. Support staff, developers, Security, etc will continue to be a non threatened space. The only "Tech Professional" who may lose out on a job are people that type for a living, and retail.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

as someone who knows nothing of car stopping test, i am assuming that test indicates an unsafe distance? were there any other cars on the road that had worse tests?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

What's with the chain around her wrist? There's so many things I don't understand about this.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Dirk the Average posted:

Look, none of those things will be what will actually be used to prioritize the kill algorithms. What it will happen is that you can subscribe to an app with different tiers and pricing that tells the self-driving car to favor you over other people. Higher tiers are spared more than lower tiers, and those who haven't subscribed are ignored by the sensors.

This guy monetizes

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Multi-track drifting!!

I was thinking like a tony hawk move where the train is diagonal across both tracks in some sort of radical power slide. even more props if tony hawk is on top of the trolly.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Schubalts posted:

I got your back.

:five:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Kobayashi posted:

This probably makes me a lovely leftist, but of all the problems with capitalism, some of that waste going in to space-related boondoggles is really low on the list of poo poo I get riled up about.

No, that's a completely rational way to approach this. The potential benefits definitely outweigh the risks, and NASA nor SPACEX are the source of any of the problems we face. The amount of money they get is miniscule in comparison to any problem that actually neerds to be addressed.

EDIT: Leaving in the typo as it is funny.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

duz posted:

The line is "Surely you can't be serious".

And the reply is "don't call me Shirley"

The tech world may not be completely run by chuds, but it is absolutley saturated with them.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

No it isn’t. The world’s largest and most influential tech companies are located in the US west coast, in areas that are overwhelmingly liberal. The chuds are so few in number inside those companies that they have been complaining about being “oppressed” and “silenced” at work - a laughable proposition, but one that is signal boosted and unfortunately granted legitimacy by media coverage.

Uh Huh

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/5-eye-opening-statistics-about-minorities-in-tech/

Wow
Many Liberal
Much progressive
How to redline?
Such legitimacy

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Kobayashi posted:

You don’t have to wear a MAGA hat and drop hard-Rs to be racist. Liberals can be and often are racist as gently caress.

Not to mention the libertarians that make up a significantly higher percentage of the tech sector than the regular population.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

The claim wasn't that most of tech was libertarian, it was that most libertarians were in tech.

My evidence is also only anecdotal. I wasn't able to find any political distribution data of the tech sector that seemed reliable.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

I’m sorry you feel that way.

I somehow doubt this, as you've already shielded yourself in FYGM. After all he's just jealous of your position and success.

Really was the perfect summation of tech people that insist they are totally not libertarians or conservatives at heart.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

baquerd posted:

Would you claim that anything that doesn't result in equality of outcome across all races is racist? I'm kinda getting that vibe.

:ohdear:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

qkkl posted:

Apple, Amazon, Walmart, drones, surveillance, and finance, all do much more good than harm to 1st worlders hth.

That's a horrible qualification...

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

The term itself is loaded in some pretty disgusting ways, and then to use it as a qualification like that is whole new level of lovely.

:barf:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/zachdcarter/status/1062395187085881344

:tif:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

quote:

But insiders tell us that Vasquez and Herzberg were not the only factors in this death. There was a third party that deserves some blame, they say: the car itself, and a list of questionable decisions made by the people who built it.

Uber's car had actually spotted Herzberg six seconds before it hit her, and, one second before impact, it knew it needed to brake hard, the NTSB reported.

But it didn't. It couldn't.

Its creators had forbidden the car from slamming on the brakes in an emergency maneuver, even if it detected "a squishy thing" — Uber's term for a human or an animal, sources told Business Insider. And the NTSB report said Uber had deliberately disabled self-driving braking.

The car's creators had also disabled the Volvo's own emergency-braking factory settings, the report found and insiders confirmed to Business Insider.

:stare:

These people should not be allowed to make cars, let alone self driving ones.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

fishmech posted:

Quick question: where do you want people to go to, so they can report their miscarriage to advertisers?

:chloe:

Dude they shouldn't have to at all. The advertisers are the problem, not the people being advertised to that can't stop this horrific poo poo practice.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

fishmech posted:

This is what you aren't comprehending, they don't actually pick up that people are pregnant. They only pick up that there seems to be a woman who is in like an 18-45 age bracket and the profile seems to be associated with a baby too.

So how do you want people to inform the advertisers that the miscarriage happened? If you don't want people to do that, how could you trust advertisers to operate advertising bots that could actually detect a miscarriage ASAP, considering such things would be way more ffective at prying out your private life events from your content and usage than anything used today?

Making another "advertising shouldn't exist" take is pointless. I don't know anyone who actually likes having ads around and I've personally blocked them as much as possible ever since browsers allowed it. But when there's no ads there's also no issue of handling when ads should change, now is there? The story becomes entirely irrelevant at that point.

Making a problem go away is called a solution you dolt.

Advertisers are running roughshod over people and you white nite for them like a moron.

This country is going to continue to allow these evil fuckers to turn you into a commodity, and you don't seem to think that is a bad thing despite your own efforts to minimize your personal exposure.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

evilweasel posted:

fishmech has said a lot of dumb things itt but he's entirely correct that "what if we gave all of your information to advertisers so their targeting could be even more invasively precise, so much so they would take your recent medical conditions into account" is not exactly the brilliant idea most people seem to think it is, though they have thought through what they are posting poorly enough to not realize that's what they're saying

like "the pregnancy-targeting ads should realize you had a miscarriage" includes as a given that the ads should exist, they should continue to be so highly targeted, and should in fact be made even more so. it's the people advocating that solution that are arguing for all those assumptions, not fishmech

That wasn't my suggestion. They shouldn't be allowed to target based on that data at all. Collecting that data should be purely opt-in, and the end user should be able to completely purge their days when they choose to do so.

I deleted my Facebook account more than a decade ago, but I wouldn't doubt they have a profile of me that is not public based on their stupid tracking.

Yeah, this level of restriction would put some companies out of business, but I see that as nothing but a good thing. If Facebook , and Google can't find a way to make money without the commodity of personal data, they can loving shut down and we would all be better for it.

The complete lack of consumer protection regarding personal data collection is absurd.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Anubis posted:

Since this is kind of winding down, and while we all are concerned about data tracking and advertisements, can I just take a quick moment to advocate for pi-hole?

https://pi-hole.net/

Free as in beer, software that basically just runs on pretty much any system on your network. Set your router DNS to the address after setting it up (with the actual DNS lookups being configured on the pi-hole server setup) and it domain blocks all currently known advertisement and tracking servers. Has a white list/black list and pause functionality. It's certainly not perfect but when combined with other more basic things like incognito mode, browser plugins and what not, it does make the internet a lot more tolerable.

That's neat. I'll check it out. Thanks!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

fishmech posted:

What data is it that you don't want them to be able to target on? Like, if you're on this site and an ad loads, even without the ad network having any data on you personally, there is a data point that SA trends male, young adult to middle age, mildly left of center, likely to buy video games. Etc.

Any? Targeting and data collection should be purely opt in. Passive collection of user data should not be tolerated.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

luxury handset posted:

dealing with this problem extends beyond the internet though. when i bought a house i got a shitload of unsolicited mail from mortgage insurance scammers, who get their data from lurking the county courthouse and checking the property records daily to see what deeds changed hands that day. this is vital government information being subverted for commercial purposes. just being out and about in the public sphere generates data and i'm not sure how you prevent people from noticing you went to the store to buy eggs or whatever

things like this are easier to block online but it's also easier to illegally circumvent those blocks. it's a nice policy if you have a genie's wish in your pocket but i'm not sure how it would be feasibly implemented

yes i know i am bourgeois scum for owning property, thank you for noticing

I had the same issue when my wife and I purchased out home a year ago. Sending that kind of targeted mail without my previously agreeing to it and saying "I want this" should not be allowed. I should be able to take those damned letters to an attorney, and sue the poo poo out of the person or company that sent them to me. To be honest, I shouldn't even have to sue, they should just be black holed by the USPS, and never allowed to use the mail system again.

The internet is a bit harder, but not out of reach. Stop the data collection and the advertisers in the US. disallow any sale of user data and metadata without user consent. If I want a service that is ad supported, I can choose to use that service. To be honest I would continue to use Google's services, but they should not be able to share or use that data in any way without my consent, and I should have the ability to remove any data I choose. violation of this consent should carry enough weight to shut down a company.

It's extremely weird to me that we are surrounded by things that nobody wants, yet we can't seem to find the will to get rid of them. There's been decade upon decade of the issue getting worse, and we have to do something drastic to fix it. I'm talking constitutional amendment stating the right to not be solicited, advertised to, or have your personal data stored by anyone without your consent.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

fishmech posted:

Frankly that is incompatible with the idea of a functioning computer network, regardless of revenue models. I can't ask you for opt-in without first collecting the data that you are not already registered as opt-in. Anyway:

Like that's why I specifically brought up the demographics of the forum you just posted on, which runs ads. When those ads aren't being targeted to a specific user, they're at least ads being targeted to the overall demographic of the site. You like, don't own that data. It even goes beyond that to general reputation of a site. Similar to how TV or radio advertising has targeting despite having almost no insight to which actual people are going to hear/watch an ad on them - it all works on generalities.

A computer network can function just fine without ads bucko. You've been brainwashed into thinking otherwise.

Facebook is not a computer network, its an AI that turns you into a commodity, slices you up and sells you to the highest bidder. Google is the same, just much better at it and not quite as evil (not saying good, just not as bad)

There is a difference between targeted advertising, and using personal information to target advertisements. Geofencing is not that offensive. You want ads targeted in a certain time or place, okay, that's not too terrible. But you shouldn't be allowed to show me those ads without my consent. If i want to be advertised to, i'll sign up for something. Nobody should be able to buy my data (even in aggregate and anonymised) unless i allow them to do so.

luxury handset posted:

junk mail has existed for a hundred years. like for real, ever since regular addresses and postal services

i think the problem is not that nobody has the will to deal with it - nobody likes to receive junk mail. but rather, the problem is that there's no real way to prevent someone from noticing you doing a thing and then sending you a letter "i noticed you did X, would you like product Y" as annoying as it may be. like, do you want to set up a junk mail court to sort out exactly what an unsolicited letter might be? are you criminalizing beggars? are you banning billboards, television commercials, and yard signs? if a kid sets up a lemonade stand, is that illegal? what about charities asking for donations? as annoying as unwanted advertisements are, just consider the extent of your proposed solution here

That sound perfectly fine except for the lemonade stand and yard sign. Those are not commercial entities, and not the same at all. Why should any of that other stuff be allowed?

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 14, 2018

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Unoriginal Name posted:

Get a P.O. Box sometime. Dont use the address in any form ever and it will be stuffed with garbage mail inside of a week. poo poo that no one wants to deliver, receive or print. The USPS budget well spent.

:tif:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

luxury handset posted:

...so you're ok with making begging illegal? i mean yeah, in this perfect world, nobody has to beg, but, yeesh

Begging is also not a commercial entity. sorry, I missed that one.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

LeoMarr posted:

Mics are still usable even after device powerdown. Thry are also keyed for certain trigger words "IM GOING TO loving KILL YOU" could be one of those record this triggers.

Uhhh

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Ripoff posted:

Gotcha, sorry. I thought they meant “off” as in “powered off”. It’s me, I’m the worm brain today.

I interpreted it the same way, so it wasn't just you. "off" to me means "Not plugged into power" not "asleep, but still powered"

Phones without removable batteries can 100% be turned into bugs by law enforcement and intelligence agencies. I miss my removable battery phone :smith:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/bmaz/status/1077260353573052417

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

RuanGacho posted:

Facebook dies if it can't legally sell user data.

This sounds like the right answer. Deprive them of revenue and let them die on their own.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

Do you really just lose contact with people that stop using Facebook? Like probably half of the people I know have either completely quit Facebook or stopped checking it at all regularly over the last several years, and to the best of my knowledge none of them have lost contact with anyone.

I actually refuse to associate with anyone that actively uses facebook outside of their profession.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

time for "goons compete who is the most anti-social and 'who doesn't even own a tv' the most"

The idea that not being on facebook antisocial is loving something.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Except sports. I have yet to find a streaming service, paid or otherwise, that's any good compared to cable.

Easy, don't watch sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Hey isn't there an iPhone sitting in the oval office right now?

Cool cool cool